Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gate training at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, sounds a hard life. I'll be stuck in the office while you'll be getting stuck into the gates. Crying or Very sad
Hope it's enjoyable for one and all.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
rob@rar, sounds a hard life. I'll be stuck in the office while you'll be getting stuck into the gates. Crying or Very sad

I'll be thinking of you! Full report tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had the first race training session last night. Representing snowHeads were me, skimottaret, FlyingStantoni, and GrahamN. In total there were about 16 people, roughly half were juniors and half seniors. The coaches were Phil Brown and Sally Bartlett. After a few runs to warm up there was a 'ski off' to split us up into two groups. We were broadly split by age, but that was more because all the juniors were either GB or England squad and the seniors were, well, not! Sally taught the seniors for this session and Phil took the juniors, although this will vary from time to time, as well as having different coaches coming in for sessions.

The first hour and a bit were spent doing drills and working on basics. For the seniors we mostly worked on fore-aft balance and managing turn shaped by smoothly and consistently using the ski throughout the turn, from an early edge engagement to cross-over into the next turn. Sometimes Sally would explain things to the whole group, other times individual feedback and individual tasks were set. The juniors seemed to be following a similar programme from what I could see. It was reasonably quiet on the slope, but there were a few recreational skiers using it so you needed to be aware of them to avoid having to abort your run. As the evening went on there were fewer people around, so by the end of our session I think there was only one or two other people on the slope.

After the drills session Phil Brown set a couple of courses, initially with carrots for a couple of runs then with full gates. At this stage the theory is you take what you have learned during the drills and seamlessly blend it into your skiing in the gates. The reality is that faced with a plastic pole hurtling towards you every half a second and the need to get your feet outside the turn the exercise becomes one of survival rather than trying to ski well! It is, however, enormous fun and adrenaline filled. By the time of my last run I felt really happy with the way I skied the first five gates, but then lost it completely at the rhythm change of the verticale. That was a big improvement over my first couple of runs where I was scrabbling to get down the course. Funniest moment for me was straddling all four gates of the verticale at speed, much to the amusement of CEM who was standing at the bottom of the slope laughing at us Smile

After skiing we repaired to the bar for an apres-ski drink, finally leaving at about 11.20pm. A very enjoyable evening all round; next session is Monday of next week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, thanks for the report. Sounds like it's popular already with sixteen people. I'll drop Phil an email seeing if there's space for me next week. Did FlyingStantoni arrive on his Brompton? Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Did FlyingStantoni arrive on his Brompton? Smile

Yup, he flew up the hill to reach the centre at about the same time as me. I was quite disappointed that he, rather conventionally, used skis for the session rather than sticking on two wheels.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
For the seniors we mostly worked on fore-aft balance and managing turn shaped by smoothly and consistently using the ski throughout the turn, from an early edge engagement to cross-over into the next turn. .

Now I wonder why that sounds familiar Wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger, I've no idea? Care to share?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar,
Basic Balance contains both Fore/Aft and lateral balance drills...
Basic Edging - a fair bit of that content is related to turn shape...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
little tiger, ah! I don't think Rick's DVDs had any influence on our programme last night, although they are good resources Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, I was thinking more on Rick's comments that most skiers need to work on these fundamental skills... and would greatly improve just by doing so....

I find it amusing because I was trained in these same fundamental skills by race coaches and ex-racers... I've never really skied with one that did not work on the same skill sets - just at different levels of performance....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger wrote:
rob@rar, I was thinking more on Rick's comments that most skiers need to work on these fundamental skills

In my very limited experience he's absolutely right. Improve your fundamentals and you can take your high level skills into what ever type of skiing you want to do.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, yep... sorry this was all that was amusing me....
the same stuff just keeps popping out from people from vastly different places etc.... the only common factor is having a direct measure of their performance not an 'I'm an expert skier because I say so' measure.... Yet there are those that oppose vehemently even the concept of instructors having such a direct measure in their exams, and those that just refuse to teach skills(or learn them) because the student should direct the learning - and the student is never going to know what skills they just do not possess so they can hardly ask to learn them!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

much to the amusement of CEM who was standing at the bottom of the slope laughing at us

along with the rest of Hemel!! at least the meat wagon didnt have to come out...

One note to add to Rob's report was that the slope had over 100 racers training from 6-8 and then we were on it for two hours and the snow conditions were very good. If that same crowd was at MK it would have cut up rotten and been sheet ice and mounds of sugar by the end of the night.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob, FlyingStantoni did arrive on his Brompton. (And can confirm that Hemel is hillier than it looks!)

Personally I really enjoyed the session and can see how doing this over the "off season" will pay dividends in my skiing. It was my first time in the gates and rob@rar is right in saying that any attempt at technique completely disappeared as soon as the second pole arrived in my face seemingly milliseconds after the first pole.

Unfortunately I didn't see rob@rar straddle the verticale as I was too busy falling. I look forward to my first clean run through the gates - which I suspect is some way off Toofy Grin

It must be said that, of the four of us, GrahamN's previous experience in the gates shined through and he looked by far the most comfortable in the gates. In fact he was the only one of us that looked at all comfortable. It was noticeable that rob@rar's usually smiley disposition disappeared into a look of apprehension every time I saw him approach the start line. I can't imagine I looked any more comfortable.

Overall I'm very impressed with the slope and building - it's been very well designed. I completely agree with skimottaret that the snow was in amazing condition given that there had just been a junior race training session on it for two hours.

I'm looking forwards to next week. And am especially looking forwards to "encouraging" CEM into the gates. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FlyingStantoni wrote:
[It was noticeable that rob@rar's usually smiley disposition disappeared into a look of apprehension every time I saw him approach the start line.

Laughing Too true!
snow report
Well done guys!
snow report
FlyingStantoni, I was total pants in and out of the gates and wasnt too happy to have to wear my red coat spotlighting just how rubbish i am... My look of apprehension should have been enough snowHead

good session though and really highlighted to me how quickly you lose form if not skiing regularily. After a few steps forward this season i felt like i forgot how to ski. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Signed up for the next few weeks. Shame my shinnies are back at my folks' place, wonder how I'll ever cope without them Laughing
snow report
FlyingStantoni, unfortunately that 'comfort' Shocked Puzzled didn't extend to me making it through the course until the very last run Sad Laughing . It took me quite a while to get used to the different surface - how much more edge angle the surface would hold, and how much quicker the skis would accelerate when allowed to run (e.g. getting way too late into the last section of the verticale). I though you guys did very well for hardly having been through gates at all previously. The bad news is that even with four years of this stuff under my belt, I still have an automatic reaction to shy away from the poles when getting a bit late Embarassed - which of course is exactly the wrong thing to do as you get back on the tails, get even slower to initiate the next turn, and are even later on the next gate Sad . There has been the odd promising sign in the last couple of months that I'm starting to overcome it though - so here's hoping. Shame we only got one run though the brushes before getting onto the full gates.

Excellent session though, and I thought it a really nice place to ski.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Signed up for the next few weeks. Shame my shinnies are back at my folks' place, wonder how I'll ever cope without them Laughing

We'll be able to field a team at this rate!

(We'll be pants of course, but that's not the point!)
snow report
GrahamN, I'll bet they were all a lot better than me Embarassed Second gates session for me tonight with HSRC Very Happy
snow report
Excellent session this evening focussing on stance width and its affect on turn initiation speed, stability and looking stupid.

I'm dead chuffed because:
a) the gates were nowhere near as scary this week
b) I managed a clean run. It was pants, but it was clean.
snow report
Good session last night. I'm very impressed with the SnowCentre, and it was good to see some people again - watski from the EOSB, rob@rar, skimottaret and FlyingStantoni from the Porterhouse last summer - and also to meet GrahamN for the first time, who caused some amusement by confusing watski for CSki. Some pretty slick brushes/gates skiing by rob@rar and particularly by skimottaret who, clearly aided by his immaculately positioned bindings, got value for money out of his kneepads on only his ninth and tenth (IIRC) runs ever though full-size gates. Extra prizes for everyone who attended last week and managed to resist the temptation to fit in with the juniors by getting kitted out with catsuits Toofy Grin or mirrored goggles for use indoors Puzzled
snow conditions
I want to go, wish I had a job and some money Sad
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, I was there in spirit, cool! How did I do? wink Who's up for a snowHead's race team? Toofy Grin

I'll be there in a few weeks!
latest report
great session last night, lots of for and aft drills and then onto a dual SL course. My first time ina dual course and drew a very good female masters racer who was delighted to take my scalp and dual SL virginity.. Very Happy

0-4-1 in dual slalom races (got chicked 3 times and beat by an old guy) plus one honourable draw with Rob as we both missed the last gate Laughing

very good to see an old school vs new skool battle between Sideshow_Bob, and one of the better juniors. our top snowHead SB crushed the new skoool youth in impressive fashion and is definately the snowHead to beat
latest report
skimottaret, sounds great. What were the fore / aft drills?
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Sideshow_Bob... is definately the snowHead to beat

Not much chance of that I fear.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, akinda standard progression really... couple runs way way aft, then leaning way forward, rocking back and forth in traverse, then trying to do this while turning using the whole slope, lastly using just ankle movement and minimal body movement, finally bringing it together in sucking back the ankles at the start of the turn and jetting out and end. quite hard to do when we shorted up the turn radius.
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
skimottaret, sounds great. What were the fore / aft drills?

Skiing with CoM way forward getting pressure on ski tips, then skiing with CoM way back getting pressure on tails and variations thereof. Then progressed on to moving feet back and fore underneath CoM, then putting in together by starting the turn with feet pulled back (to load front of skis at the top of the turn) and gradually allowing feet to come forward through the turn to accelerate out of it. All very tricky for me, especially trying (mostly failing) to get the timing of these moves right.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
Sideshow_Bob... is definately the snowHead to beat

Not much chance of that I fear.

Yes, unfortunately I blew my challenge by completely missing a pole push out of the starting gate, so he was nearly two gates ahead before I got moving. Rematch never quite happened. Actually last night was characterised by some consistently appalling starts on my part. Even so, I think he would probably have still beaten me by half a gate.
latest report
Embarassed

As I posted on the other thread it's all about the extra weight - all those beers and curries since I finished racing as a junior have clearly not got to waste Smile Probably helped too that it was bullet straight. I think missed poles out of the start gate were a bit of a theme all night, and I had to revert to some proper old school stomping to make back a half gate on the twelve year old and save embarrassment after one of my particularly bad starts.

All in all, dual slaloms rock!
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
All in all, dual slaloms rock!

Have to agree with you there snowHead

I'm very glad you were there Sideshow_Bob to give the "mature group" some, little honour!
snow report
Another good session on Monday night, with continuation of the theme from last week of fore-aft pressure and working the turn. It was probably the most technical session yet in terms of exercises, with lots of javelins, jumped-javelins, skated 360s and a couple of other drills whose names I've forgotten. Unfortunately there was an issue with snow depth on the top of left-hand side of the slope as one looks up so this was roped off to about half way down, so we didn't get chance to use full-size gates as not to scare the two or three other punters on the slope, but the stubbies still caused some carnage and probably resulted in some concerned looks amongst seismologists in the SE of England as a few SHs (probably still feeling the effects of Saturday) got well acquainted with the Hemel snow.

It was good to see some new SH faces, namely .Ro and CSki, fresh from their victories in the EoSB race, come to hone their skills. Admin may want to rethink his eligibility rules for next year's race as both were taking to the gates like ducks to water and increasing in speed as the night went on and will surely crush all non-instructor opposition if they continue to improve at this rate. Of the instructors/more experienced racers, rob@rar obviously picked up some good tips from Chemmy on Saturday as he was storming down the stubbies showing much improved form, and GrahamN proved that people can't use HH hire equipment as an excuse for poor skiing by putting in some good runs in hire boots after leaving his own boots at home. Hope to see the same faces and maybe some new ones there next Monday.
snow report
I sucked, fell over 3 times (once during a warm up run) Embarassed , and crashed out big style in gummy gates Embarassed Embarassed ... sally has her work cut out with me Laughing

Top tip of the day "THink less Bull, more China shop" Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I want a snowdome in Hong Kong. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
skimottaret, I'm pretty sure that I sucked more than you on Monday rolling eyes
latest report
I was freeeeeeezing on Monday! I'm sure Hemel is about 5 degrees colder than MK.

Twisted Evil Does anyone know anything about training with Hemel race club this evening? I can't find a contact number on the website.
snow report
CSki, I think it was so cold as they were going to make snow that evening, its not usually that cold...

Are you a member of the Hemel race club? if not pm NickW who is on the committee there...
snow report
CSki wrote:
Does anyone know anything about training with Hemel race club this evening?

You could try giving Phil a ring as I'm pretty sure he runs it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy