Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gate training at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
Just to let everyone know that Impulse Racing which is run by fellow snowHead Phil Brown (former British Childrens Team Head Coach) will be running race training every Monday night 8-10 at Hemel

£30 per session including slope time, maximum of 8 per coach... should be very good.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oooh I was just about to put a post asking about gates. That's great but it's clashing with Gravity! Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PS, do you expect many oldies to be at the sessions?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CSki, i believe it is race training for adults ... Gravity's sessions are earlier at MK and focused on kids mainly.

I just had a look at the Hemel site and unless i am making a mistake 2 hours of rec skiing normally costs £33 that time of night so the sessions represent great value.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CSki, I'm definitely "not young" and I'm doing it snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah it looks good and I'm just down the road so makes sense but I was hoping to two time MK and HH gates nights! Cool Razz
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FlyingStantoni, when you starting? I am tempted to get in on the May sessions
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, I'm signed-up for all of May and June except the bank holiday weekends.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll be up for a May start as well. skimottaret, when are you seeing Phil Brown next? Be good to confirm what the situation is for instructors at Hemel.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FlyingStantoni, your keen ! I thought you were telemarking this summer.... i have some new SL skis i am looking to break in so should see you there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Keen is my middle name skimottaret wink

A mix of race training and telemarking for the "off season".

BTW, I telemarked with Richard P again on Sunday. I'm optimistic that he may get around to running some tele training this year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would sign up but will have difficulties getting to/from Hemel as no car at the moment Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Booked for May and June, except for the 25th May as I'm teaching that day and won't want to ski through until 10pm.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob, I'm planning on using the train and my bicycle wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, I'm planning on using ... my bicycle wink

I might be wrong, but I think Phil Brown would prefer you on skis.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, I'm planning on using ... my bicycle wink

I might be wrong, but I think Phil Brown would prefer you on skis.

Laughing
snow report
FlyingStantoni, you gonna strap your skis to your backpack, that should be entertaining to watch for the commuters Laughing
snow conditions
I take it everyone has read the Terms and Conditions - and you are all signed up to Code of Conduct item no 3 Wink

(BTW I've applied for the first 4 dates - looks like a snowHead team forming Laughing )
latest report
GrahamN, yeah, I noticed that Very Happy
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
Code of Conduct item no 3 Wink

Sad
snow conditions
I draw you collective attentions to the Disciplinary Procedure - item 1B.

That's it. I'm scared. Shocked
snow report
FlyingStantoni, at least you don't have to pay for the return half of the train fare yourself (1D)
snow report
GrahamN wrote:
I take it everyone has read the Terms and Conditions - and you are all signed up to Code of Conduct item no 3 Wink

Excellent! Now I have an excuse to fight her off with. The days of "but darling I have a headache" I'm sure are quite numbered.
snow report
Given that I know nothing about racing, does anyone have any pointers to some good internet resources?
snow report
http://www.britski.org/ - everything you want to know about ski racing in the UK.
http://www.fis-ski.com/ - international racing.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, my two favourite internet resources for racing are:

www.gofuck1ngfast.com and www.HaveApairofBigCajones.co.uk
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, I turned up to a gates night to find it was in fact a race night and didn't come last so it's not all that hard to get to grips with. Main things I've learnt in 2 sessions are that little people go really really fast and them gates is suprisingly solid.
snow report
I'm very tempted, but haven't been through gates for years, ever since I fell and got spine compression. 9 months of physio kind of put me off doing it. I'm sure it's just psychological not physical now though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, Laughing Laughing Laughing NehNeh

Spyderman, la, la, la - I'll pretend I didn't hear that. Comeon - you know you want to.
snow report
Spyderman, the snow at hemel will be so perfect that even if you fall it will be like landing on a cloud NehNeh .. have a go you know it makes sense. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
... the snow at hemel will be so perfect that even if you fall it will be like landing on a cloud ...

You mean you'll pass straight through it and die on impact with the hard ground underneath? I think I'll invest in a back protector...
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
it will be like landing on a cloud

As possibly the only person on this thread who actually has fallen through a cloud Shocked , I'm not sure I'd recommend it Wink. Actually it was a patch of fine drizzle hanging in the air at about 5000 feet, and it felt very much like getting in the way of a sandblaster (OK, for the sake of clarity, I've not actually done that) - it sure stings!
ski holidays
rob@rar, I am just assuming that as everything else will be perfect at Hemel falls will no longer hurt like they do at MK wink
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Spyderman, the snow at hemel will be so perfect that even if you fall it will be like landing on a cloud NehNeh .. have a go you know it makes sense. Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Thing is that if I have a go, the 'Red mist' descends and it's all out or nothing. I'm sure you'll be there to place strategic airbags though. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Spyderman, I'm planning on plenty of crashes as i am new to all of this. It would be worth coming along as you will have a good laugh watching me straddle snowHead
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
have a good laugh watching me straddle snowHead

I'm sure your Helmet will save you. Laughing
snow conditions
skimottaret, I was told today that Hemel wanted anyone doing gates to be fully kitted up with guards. Is this true, cos they're spensive....
snow report
CSki, i would think if you are running SL gates you should have a chin guard absolute min and have hand guards / shin pads as well. It might be expensive but getting wacked with a pole can hurt.
snow report
Haha, good thing I didn't book then, I can't afford to get a new ski helmet and shin guards for something I'm not sure I want to take too seriously!
ski holidays
CSki, I'd give knee guards a miss as you don't really need these until you're quite experienced, and some will argue they're redundant even then. Get some pole guards (http://www.skiracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_65) and some fore-arm guards first. You can easily use American Football forearm guards for the latter or even non-ankle-covering football (soccer) shin-pads as they're much cheaper than the skiing-specific equivalents. You'll probably find yourself inside-arm blocking slalom gates frequently until you get the hang of it.

You can run slalom gates without a chin-guard for your helmet but if you do so I'd recommend getting a gum shield and wearing it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy