Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gate training at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
CSki, I'd give knee guards a miss as you don't really need these until you're quite experienced, and some will argue they're redundant even then.

I don't agree with that. I'd say that for someone new to slalom gates shin guards are very important. All it takes is to miss blocking the gate (which you're more likely to do as an inexperienced slalom skier) and you'll take the full force of the gate on your shin - not pleasant. Ditto a chin guard. On my first couple of days of slalom training I missed blocking the gate several times and had it ping off my chin guard or crash through it with my legs. Even with the guards I had little bruises on arms and fingers and thighs Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, I would suggest getting shin guards too, I know plenty of people who say that they don't get close enough to the gates to need them, they just end up skiing a wide slow line.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Slush and Rubble have 30-40% off protective wear at the moment. I picked up some Scott shin guards for £30 today.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm surprised that someone brand new to slalom would be getting close enough and angulated enough to be taking the pole below the knee but above the boot. Of course buy them if you're going to get into it but I wouldn't expect someone who's going to trial racing for maybe a max of 10 sessions to have to turn up in them for the first few sessions and not until they decided racing was something they wanted to do longer term.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
I'm surprised that someone brand new to slalom would be getting close enough and angulated enough to be taking the pole below the knee but above the boot.

This was taken on my second day skiing slalom on snow (I'd previously done a few hours on plastic).

As a complete newbie to slalom skiing I found that I didn't have a huge amount of control of my line, sometimes it was very tight to the gates, sometimes the 'scenic route' and I too often missed the block with my hands and either took the gate on my face or on my knees. I think an experienced skier who can take a more controlled line could get away with needing less protection than a beginner.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kudos to anyone who turns up to their first ever race training session at Hemel and gets that close to a gate in the following two hours Smile

Okay, how about this: in order of importance, where would you put shin guards in a list of shin guards, pole guards, helmet, chin guard for helmet? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sideshow_Bob, in terms of addressing the most potential for bloodiness: chin guard first (with or without helmet), then pole guards, then shin guards.

Apologies for the quality of the video capture, but here's one I took on the chin:

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sideshow_Bob, The people without shin guards end up trying to avoid getting their legs anywhere near the pole and as a result don't angulate at all.

You won't be allowed to ski gates without a helmet so that comes first. I would put shin guards next as even stubbies can sting if you hit them. I don't use a chin guard but then I didn't use a helmet until I had to.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs, would you advise CSki not turn up unless he has the full complement of racing kit, even if he's only interested in trying it out for a couple of evenings? Puzzled

Shinpads are useful for stubbies but for full-length spring-loaded/weighted gates I'm sure you'll agree you're far better off cross-blocking than taking them on your shins.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Kudos to anyone who turns up to their first ever race training session at Hemel and gets that close to a gate in the following two hours Smile

Now there's a challenge if ever I've heard one Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm happy with what I have at the moment (ie helmet with no chin guard, pole guards and footy shin pads on my arms... Embarassed ) so if I'm allowed to join in I'd like to! I've only done one session and I think I have a while working on pole plants and general skiing technique thro the gates before I start getting cocky with it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, and if anyone really feels the need to buy shin guards, motocross guards are perfectly adequate and are usually much cheaper than ski-specific ones, eg:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-Motocross-Knee-Shin-Pads-Guard-Body-Armour_W0QQitemZ270369220844QQcmdZViewItem
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CSki, i think you will be fine, have a go and see if it is for you. most of the session will be skills improvement and perhaps half in gates i would guess.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helmet and chin guard - check
Shin guards - check
Technique - DUH!

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Equipment - Check

Talent - Doh!!
Ability - Doh!!
Agility - Doh!!
Athleticism - Doh!!!

Beer Gut - Check Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hi All,

Apologies for the late arrival into this thread but am currently dealing with a close family bereavement.

Just to make you all aware. My Monday sesions will be focussing on technique with gates being run later in each session. The intensity of the sessions will be quite high and the set will vary, depending on the theme of the session. We may run stubbies on some weeks and other weeks we may run stubbies into full gates.

There will be the chance to run timing at a later date but, I'm loathe to run a regular race on these sessions as I would rather give training and therefore value, rather than just take your money for a couple of timed runs. If there is demand. I will look into this.

For protective gear -
Helmets are compulsory at Hemel and for all race training activities so are, therefore, the only item insisted upon.
Recommendations include chin guard, pole guards, shin guards. I wouldn't bother with arm guards as the pole guards should be enough given the current technique employed in SL gates.

For cheap shinnies, try some drainpipe cut and sanded on the edges and some duct tape. This may suffice until you decide if it's for you.

As adults, you make your own decisions on safety equipment but I would recommend, when you get into it, a back protector and gumshield. The latter not only protects aganst impact but also can reduce concussion caused by jarring in an impact to the head.

For those who have completed booking forms, I will be contacting you in the next few days with details and invoices.

Thanks to those who have booked and apologies for any delays in getting back to you.

Phil
snow report
Philbo, sounds excellent - training rather than regular racing is ideal, and I think what we're all signed up for. I guess the odd timed run would be appreciated later on as/if we get into it.
No worries about any delays, entirely understandable in the circumstances. Comiserations and I hope, as much as it can be, it's not too traumatic.
latest report
Philbo, my heartfelt condolences, sorry to hear of your bereavement Sad
snow report
Any buses direct from the station? I suspect Stanton won't want to offer me a seatah!
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
I suspect Stanton won't want to offer me a seatah!

I'd love to offer you one fatbob, but rather suspect that the old Brompton won't take it.

I'm already wondering how I get boots, clothes, shin guards, helmet, etc to the "stade of dreams"...
snow conditions
Any ideas on how to ghetto rig a chin guard to an old open face non-race helmet if I grow some cohones?
latest report
fatbob, you could fashion something out of the left over drain pipe and duct tape? I wouldn't know I'm a girl and that sounds remarkably like technical stuff!
snow report
I've sort of lost track of who we've got doing this:

- FlyingStantoni
- GrahamN
- skimottaret
- rob@rar
- fatbob ?
- CSki ?

...?
latest report
I wish i lived closer Sad
snow report
beanie1, get the train with FlyingStantoni a bus or cab from the hemel station couldnt be a bother and i am sure someone would give you a lift back afterwards
latest report
I'm a maybe if the leg holds up to testing next week. Would need to ski on rentals though (at least they should be new & relatively sharp) as I'm not planning on commuting wiv skis.
snow report
beanie1, for heavens sake I live two miles further away! Laughing Laughing Laughing

fatbob, I'll be on rentals too.
latest report
fatbob, FlyingStantoni, in addition to the standard (ie floppy) rentals I think they will have some premium skis available which might be more suitable for doing drills and gates. Not sure what they are (they'll be Head skis), but it was one of the things mentioned when I visited a couple of days ago.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, do you know how far ahead booking is required?
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, if I have a job again then I may join in, otherwise can't really justify the cost Sad
latest report
CSki, Phil Brown mentioned last week that he'd had a lot of interest and might need to get another coach in to keep number down to 8 to 1. If your interested email Phil via his website to see what the situation is (link somewhere above).
snow report
Hi Guys,

I will be working with a 2nd coach on most nights during May due to numbers. To book, please use the 'book training' link on my site.

Thanks
ski holidays
Philbo, it's good to see that you've got so much interest. I'm looking forwards to the training.
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

Now there's a challenge if ever I've heard one Toofy Grin

You're on Toofy Grin.

Before I book this on impulse (sorry) does anyone know anything about possible kit hire? I only have boots.
snow report
.Ro, didn't you do the race training in VT? If so you're ineligible NehNeh
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, says he Laughing
latest report
Michelle, I'm certainly not eligible, in either sense of the word Smile
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, Not 2 hours worth Toofy Grin
ski holidays
So who's going to this tonight? Now I have wheels I'll probably try to make next week's session depending on how people find tonight.
ski holidays
I'm going, although have spent most of the day digging in the garden so feel a bit wiped out already. Not ideal preparation for a ski session!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy