Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gate training at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
CSki, I think they turned the temperature down a bit to make new snow overnight. It certainly felt colder than previous evenings. Of course, you could actually wear something other than a Henley-emblazoned sweatshirt, like a fleece or jacket, but I suppose you wouldn't look sufficiently rah if you did NehNeh
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, no I'm not a member, slight technicality! PM on the way!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CSki, I think the other issue is that the Wednesday night is also designed specifically for the more experienced Hemel racers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CSki, http://www.hemelskiraceclub.co.uk/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sideshow_Bob, I had 2 tech tops and a t-shirt underneath!
GrahamN, ahhh I see, the website said an adult development group trained on Wednesdays too. Can't actually find a NickW on the memberlist to PM. ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CSki, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9328
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sorry it is Nick_W
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CSki, ah, missed that, you may be OK then. Try Nick or Phil for the full deal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers all, have left a message wih Phil, hopefully I'll be catching up to you lot soon enough!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CSki, cripes, you're keen! Loaded too it would seem, £30 a session twice a week ain't cheap. Unless we've already managed to put you off Monday nights and you're planning on jumping ship to Weds.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob, the boss is threatening to make me do some work so I've only got this week back at home. And I've been saving money by sleeping on a bunk and eating deep fried fish heads all of last month! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN wrote:
CSki, I think the other issue is that the Wednesday night is also designed specifically for the more experienced Hemel racers.

But I attend on Wednesday nights so that can't be true Embarassed I have sent a couple of pm's to CSki to clarify the situation. Thanks to you all for advising her.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick W, I did say "experienced", not necessarily "accomplished" or "faster" Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, Too true; still one out of three isn't bad Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thinking about signing up for a couple of these sessions... a couple of questions:

1. how long before the start of the session do you need to arrive? timing is a teensy bit tight with work but i reckon i could get a train which arrives at Hemel at about 7.40. i'd have my own boots but would probably need to find some skis

2. did fatbob or anyone else work out how to rig up a chin guard on a non-race helmet? buying a race helmet is probably a non-starter since i have spent literally years trying helmets on before i found on that fits.

cheers!
snow report
Arno, I've not been yet had second thoughts about the effects on my recently injured leg but after Saturday feel a bit more confident. I'd be interested in having a gate JONG around in addition to me as I fear this lot will already be streets ahead of me. Haven't quite worked how to ghetto rig a chin guard for the purpose though I have found some old shin pads that'll do the job as forearm guards.
snow report
Arno - I get the train and on a 19:40 arrival I reckon you'll end up 10-15 minutes late for the session. Being late wouldn't be a problem.

You might be interested in knowing that Carrera do a "universal fit" slalom training helmet, which is a little like a boxing sparring helmet in that it laces up at the back. A friend has one and says that it works well.

fatbob - I'm incompetant and seem to be getting away without any forearm guards.
latest report
Arno, I did it this week for the first time Very Happy
ski hire is included - it was suggested that I should try and get some premium hire skis next time as the standard ones are a bit floppy. The centre also supplies (non-race) helmets, which were fine this time as we only used carrots and stubbies.
And of course the centre poles don't have guards.
snow report
Arno, fatbob, so far the sessions have been mostly technical drills outside of gates and then some brushes or stubbies which wouldnt require a chin guard. on the couple of times we were in full sized gates a few elected to just mirror the course on the side or take a very wide line. I doubt very much we would ever spend a full session in gates.

i would get a plastic one and gaffer tape it onto your helmet, i would think that would work alright, if it doesnt you could get a gum shield and use that instead.

http://www.skiracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_14&zenid=de7f37d48b4e8e4337a57592b8fb7651

Arno, the first 15 mins or so are warm up runs and i dont think you would miss much, there are a few pairs of SL skis tucked around the back in rental flyingstantoni uses these as he is on the train as well.
snow report
hmmm... sounds like a nice way to spend a monday evening - might well be along in a couple of weeks
snow report
Arno, where would you be coming from in London, and where're you going back to? I may be able to give you a lift.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, i'd be coming from round the back of Selfridges and heading back to Camden. if either or both are on your way, a lift would be great

i've sent an inquiry about 22 and 29 June so let's see if there is availability
ski holidays
Arno, I can give you a backie on my Brompton from Hemel train station wink
snow report
FlyingStantoni, would there be room for fatbob to sit on my knee? Wink
snow conditions
Arno, not sure how well that'd work. I do North Circular from Richmond round to the M1 at Brent Cross. Sometimes I park at Wembley Park in the morning and Jubilee Line it to work (Canary Wharf) and back out again, saving the drive across central London and parking charges at CW and also the horrible section of the NC were I to drive from Richmond. Other times my girlfriend drives to see her parents in Watford and I train it up there and pick up the car. Let me know if you manage to sign up and we'll sort something out.
ski holidays
If there are few about then I'll pop up via the M25S...

I'll keep an eye out for this...
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
FlyingStantoni, would there be room for fatbob to sit on my knee? Wink

Brrrrrrrrr Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
Anyone going Mon 15th June..?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, aye!
snow report
JT, unfortunately not this week. Will be there the week after.
snow report
I'll be there. Just hoping Sally Bartlett remembers to bring my skis with her Shocked
snow conditions
Can't make tonight after all... but I would be willing to hook up with the southside johnnies ( M25S ) in July...
ski holidays
I've got a couple of questions for you guys/girls.

Due to the popularity of the Monday sessions, I'm looking to set up a second session and aiming the Mondays at younger racers with the new session being aimed at skiers such as yourselves.
I have a choice of days/times for this session and would like some feedback on what would be most popular.
The choices are:
Thurs evenings 8-10
Sun Evenings 6-8 or 8-10

Please feel free to comment and give me some ideas on what is more suitable.

Also: what's the feeling on having a snowheads race periodically (3monthly, perhaps) on either a Sunday or Saturday evening?

Cheers,
snow report
Philbo wrote:
Also: what's the feeling on having a snowheads race periodically (3monthly, perhaps) on either a Sunday or Saturday evening?
I might make the long trek for one of them. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Any of those options are good for me, preference being Thursday, followed by late Sunday then early Sunday.

An occasional race sounds like fun Smile Presumably open to all, not just those of us who do the weekly training?
ski holidays
Philbo, race is a good idea, i am sure you would get some take up on that...

cant do thursdays and sundays arent great for me with MK 8-10 .... may have to drop out if changed from mondays....
latest report
Philbo, while I can do Thursdays, or maybe the later Sunday slot, I'd much prefer to stick with Mondays (certainly during the Summer) as:
1) M25 traffic seems quite manageable on a Monday, Thursdays are probably a fair bit busier;
2) while I'm racing primarily on Dendex, a Monday session allows me to readjust to Dendex at my Wednesday session prior to the weekend race(s) (although it does look like August is primarily snow races Shocked );
3) I'll often have been racing on a Sunday.

Ready to be inundated with floods of interest in snowHead races? Wink . Probably get a lot of people who would be interested not looking at this thread though (due to the general anti-BZK feeling around here), but if you want to canvas that idea more widely try posting in the snowEvents section.
latest report
Any of those would be good for me (better than Monday) with a preference for Sunday
snow conditions
I'm not sure how many Sundays I'd be able to make due to traveling etc. I'm also personally not too bothered about a SnowHeads race and would prefer to integrate some timing element into one of the training sessions rather than having a separate event, but I could see the appeal for others. Would you look at integrating it into one of the SH monthly events or have it separate?
snow conditions
There are four races at Hemel this summer already, I wouldn't travel down for any more.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy