Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any body else going to the Summer Camp in Les Deux Alpes?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

All those skill development exercises, give a whole new purpose to skiing in a very restricted area don't they

You could equally well say they give a whole new purpose to skiing. Full stop. For young kids, doing jumps and spins and freestyle stuff has the same purpose - I went up a long drag lift behind a couple of lads who were competing with how often they could spin round 180, go up backwards (looking down at me and laughing!) and then spin round again. Showing off - fantastic skills (though I was ready to give them a good poke with my stick if they fell off in my path). Doing those skills exercises on-piste (hopefully working up to the full 360s even if not on a draglift) is the LOL version.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, Precisely, and it's so sad that so many keen skiers see them are boring and unnecessary, or evern worse, spoiling their fun - whereas the reality is that it IS fun to do them. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Friends, I figured it was about time I chimed in to let you know that Ms. D1 and I had a lovely couple of days in Lyon before heading back over the Pond to Maine.
What a wonderful and transformative ski experience! I came to the program with four and a half decades of ski experience in what Charlotte called that "passe style." Well, after six days on the glacier I believe I am carving my way into the 21st century, much to Stein's chagrin - though I suspect that Stein no longer skis like Stein used to ski. After skiing for such a long time in a certain way, it still surprises me that one can unlearn that mind and muscle memory. I think that is the genious of Rick's approach. He is not building a house on an old foundation. He bulldozes the entire structure and starts from scratch with balance and stance drills designed to retrain the mind and body. Once you are in touch with your skis and the dynamics involved, once you "feel" what it feels like (both the right and wrong way), the lesson is learned. It is a rather Freudian approach to skiing. "Tell me, what was your relationship, as a child, with your mother's skis...." Truly, some of those vestiges of the old technique are not so easily overcome - like the default feet together stance I have. But that is one that will go in time, and actually was far less of an issue as we blasted down the Dome. Speed brought my legs apart in a way that Rick never could.....
Ms D1 was equally transformed. It was a joy to see her carving her way down the Signal in her "lady-like" style. Big smiles all around. And the support that she got from the group during her "pre-breakthrough" experiences was so heartwarming.
If the program is offered again, I would encourage skiers of all levels to take advantage of it. It may just be the best ski progam of its kind. My thanks to Charlotte and Rick, and all our friends for a great ski and camp experience.
D1
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
deliberate1, what if you were to hold onto those skills, just make them through conscious choice?

I suspect Fastman didn't just train you, but also taught you to re-train yourself in the skills so that you can make a conscious choice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, Bothe Fastman and I use a building blocks or one thing at a time approach, but we both believe that you can't ski successfully if you don't have a properly solid base. Most recreational skiers actually don't, so that's what deliberate1, was alluding to. Both of us teach entirely skills based with no (or virtually no) form based training, but that's not to say we don't explain where we're going or what we're hoping to achieve etc. etc. deliberate1, skied very beautfiully in a manner ans 'style' that was at least 15 years out of date, if not more. His re-education could not have been achieved just by trying.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex wrote:
deliberate1, what if you were to hold onto those skills, just make them through conscious choice?

I suspect Fastman didn't just train you, but also taught you to re-train yourself in the skills so that you can make a conscious choice.

I think I understand your point. Rick instructed us to ski the right way AND the wrong way. We drilled hard, skiing only on the tails or on the tips or inappropriately centered. We discovered how it should not feel when you are doing it wrong, and how proper it feels when you do it right. I am not an intellectual skier - meaning if I do not feel it I do not get it. But once I do, I have it. Like the angulation drill. I came to the camp with a nasty habit of dipping the inside shoulder. But as soon as I felt the right kind of pulling in the obliques when the shoulders are level and the hips are properly angulated, the habit was gone. I think a skier at any level could benefits from the "spiral" or building block approach that starts with fundamentals and works from there. Worked for me. Now only five more months to see how much has stuck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, thank you for your kind observations. Mark my words, in 15 years we will all be wedeling down the hill with skis locked together. By then I will have perfected the new style I learned two weeks ago which will then be passe. And I will have to come to LDA for you and Rick to teach me to ski how I used to with such panache. Somehow this sounds like a Ponzi scheme.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
deliberate1, as a matter if interest, what made you want to change the way you ski? It sounds as though you were already rather good at it!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
deliberate1, oh so cynical!

good to hear from you. So glad you and the Mrs enjoyed Lyon. Hope you look in here from time to time Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
deliberate1, as a matter if interest, what made you want to change the way you ski? It sounds as though you were already rather good at it!

A philosophical question that I may not be prepared to answer. Perhaps a musical analogy. I was trained as a classical clarinetist and, as a kid, I dearly loved my time in the orchestra. But in high school, I got a sax and joined the jazz band. Later, I went back to the clarinet playing jazz and Klezmer music in a big band and small ensembles. Now I do it all. Each insturment and musical expression is fulfilling in different ways. Each broadens my love of music. Each is a portal to new experiences and expressions. A new style of skiing can have the same broadening experience. Before the camp, I was inclined to make short scarved turns straight down the fall line - something I could do on pitches over 50 degrees. But I never felt very comfortable at speed. The new skills I have learned at camp expanded the tool chest. I can now ski at speed with my center of mass properly "stacked" while making full use of the geometry of the lovely shaped skis I have. Pam, learning a new set of skills does not imply that the old ones are discarded. But I have to say that the difference between turning the skis and having the patience to allow the skis turn you is a revelation and may be the shapest tool in the chest. Thanks for making me think about this.
D1

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 15-07-09 2:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
deliberate1, oh so cynical!

good to hear from you. So glad you and the Mrs enjoyed Lyon. Hope you look in here from time to time Very Happy

Cynical? Moi? You must have mistaken me for a member of your Privy Council. Of course, you know that in New England where I live the "privy" is the "back bench" where ones "constitutional business" is conducted, if you will. In this respect many of us conduct such business with great regularity though some, with irregularity. Some with great approval, and others with no small disappointment.
D1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
deliberate1, interesting - and good analogy. I spent a day skiing a few years ago with a group of youngsters including my son and a young French guy, both excellent skiers. Oliver had no money, and had borrowed skis and boots from a friend - and both suited his style; very long narrow skis and rear entry boots (which were too big for him). He enjoyed his day - except in the moguls, which had been made by shorter skis, and where he struggled mightily. So did I, but couldn't blame the skis. Embarassed Olivier went down everything (this was Les Contamines, mainly long red slopes) in that short turn, wriggling-backside, feet glued together, sort of way, at fairly high speed. Nick went down everything in huge carved sweeping turns. They tended to reach the bottom at the same time but Nick he had done at least twice the mileage across the snow. So he was also getting twice the speed and twice the skiing. It was an interesting thing to watch.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Friends, I have posted a trip report on Epic, not quite direct from the glacier, but close.
Rachael, I incorporated some of you wonderful images, and gave you full credit.
Warm regards from the Maine coast.
D1
http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/84855/what-i-did-on-my-summer-vacation-or-where-mainers-go-when-the-snow-goes#post_1110941
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
deliberate1, great report Very Happy thanks for taking the trouble to write it up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
deliberate1, thanks D, great report. Very Happy
latest report
deliberate1, nice (even if you did spell my name wrong)! Very Happy Made me feel as if I was back there for a few minutes. snowHead
snow report
Appreciate all your kind words. It was truly my pleasure. Everyone else whould see what they missed. Madeye-Smiley
Rachel, a thousand pardons for the misspell.
I just viewed the camp disk for the first time. I was amazed at the progress everyone made in such a short time. Rachael, I will make a one time deal with you. I will get my feet further apart if you bring your hands up....
Warmest regards to all our "copains" across The Pond. I truly hope we cross paths again.
D1 and Ms. D1
ski holidays
deliberate1, I do hate to niggle, but I'm a little unhappy at the suggestion that Rick's skis were not properly cared for .... They were specially prepared for him and had he taken them down any day could have had them waxed that night, but like me he just left them on the glacier for the period. They were also pretty new ... Sorry to be pedantic, but in the interests of justice for Jutta ... Ski Extreme service every pair of skis every time they come in.
ski holidays
deliberate1 wrote:
Rachel, I will make a one time deal with you.
I will get my feet further apart if you bring your hands up....

OK, you're on. I was mighty disappointed with my hands/arms position on the videos. I'm aware it's a problem I have and seeing it on film will hopefully help me do something about it. It makes me look like a very lazy skier. Sad

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 19-07-09 12:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
So, less of that from me, and less of this from you Very Happy
And hopefully we'll ski together again before too long and be able to praise each other for the improvements. snowHead
latest report
Rachel, I believe I had only one ski attached to my body when that was shot.
If only I had your legs and you had my arms....Perfection. Toofy Grin
And I will look forward to making lovely tracks with you again as wel.
snow report
easiski wrote:
deliberate1, I do hate to niggle, but I'm a little unhappy at the suggestion that Rick's skis were not properly cared for .... They were specially prepared for him and had he taken them down any day could have had them waxed that night, but like me he just left them on the glacier for the period. They were also pretty new ... Sorry to be pedantic, but in the interests of justice for Jutta ... Ski Extreme service every pair of skis every time they come in.

No offense intended to your friends. Pure hyperbole. By the end of the week my skis were quite wax-free as well.

D1
snow report
deliberate1, Fine - I knew you didn't really mean it, but it would be really nice if you could correct it, especially since Jutta reduced her summer price by €15 for the camp and the winter price by over €30. Many Snowheads have had wonderful service in the past from Ski Extreme. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
easiski, did I offend? my last run isn't on the cd? . . . or am I just being thick . . . nothing new there wink

deliberate1, your DVD is in the post along with a present you may find entertaining. The 15 minute ride from Lyon Part Dieu to Perrache was completed in an insane 10 minutes and worth the 10Eu tip as I boarded the train with about 30 seconds to spare and stood in a sweaty puddle by the door as it pulled away. Stored my gear, had a sluice in the bathroom and just settled myself into my seat when the train drew to a gentle 10 minute halt at . . . . Lyon Part Dieu !!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
easiski, did I offend? my last run isn't on the cd? . . . or am I just being thick . . . nothing new there wink

deliberate1, your DVD is in the post along with a present you may find entertaining. The 15 minute ride from Lyon Part Dieu to Perrache was completed in an insane 10 minutes and worth the 10Eu tip as I boarded the train with about 30 seconds to spare and stood in a sweaty puddle by the door as it pulled away. Stored my gear, had a sluice in the bathroom and just settled myself into my seat when the train drew to a gentle 10 minute halt at . . . . Lyon Part Dieu !!! rolling eyes

Brother Masque, Ms D1 and I thought of you and your undoubtedly harrowing cab trip. Kudo's to the driver for taking you at break-neck speed FROM the place you ended up at. And a 10 Euro tip to boot! Isn't that amazing.
For our part, we missed two trains over to Perrache on account of the "discussion" I had with the ticket seller who, first, shorted me a second ticket and then shorted me four Euros. You know my French skills are feeble and I speak with no small trepidation. But short me a few coins and the French rolls quite nicely off the tongue. After about 20 minutes Ms D1 saw two gendarmes approach the general vicinity of the ticket window and assumed, incorrectly, that I may be a "guest" of the French penal system in short order. Well, it may come as no surprise that I walked away empty-handed but with a new found linguistic confidence. If I could have it out with the ticket monger, I could certainly order off the menu. That was, in hindsight, four Euros well spent.
I am sure I speak for the lot when I express my appreciation for your willingness to sacrifice more than a few runs to capture us on your helmet cam, and willingness to put together the DVD momento.
Keep in touch.
D1
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
deliberate1, Fine - I knew you didn't really mean it, but it would be really nice if you could correct it, especially since Jutta reduced her summer price by €15 for the camp and the winter price by over €30. Many Snowheads have had wonderful service in the past from Ski Extreme. Madeye-Smiley

It would be my pleasure.
Done.
D1
latest report
deliberate1, many thanks. Very Happy Please let me know when your key arrives. It was sent on 16th July to be signed for. Just on it's own in a jiffy bag.

Masque, Oh no - I'm so sorry - I don't know how that happened. Big, huge apologies. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Hey folks, sorry this report took so long. Was up to my angulated hips in getting the last DVDs done before the snow flew, as well as now producing drill cards to go with the DVDs. Hit the link to see my thoughts on the camps, and see my full album of pictures from the trip by hitting the link at the bottom of the page.

http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Summer_Camp_2009.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastMan, thanks. Some great photos, especially those down in Venosc. Amazing to be skiing in the morning, and sweltering down in Venosc in the afternoon, gasping for a cold beer. snowHead
snow report
FastMan,lovely pics. sorry I didn't get down to Venosc - next time for sure Very Happy
snow conditions
All Venosc needs is a beach with sea view and L2A really would have the whole package in summer. So so hot down there!!!
ski holidays
andytb, There is a little lake in L2A in the summertime. Smile
ski holidays
jezzy, we (inc andytb, ) went to it on week 2 of the camp Very Happy
ski holidays
Ah yes, I had forgotten about the lake! Now if it had the heat of Venosc, a few parasols and deckchairs ... hmmm! Cool
snow report
FastMan, Great photos and a great write up on your website. Well done for finishing all your DVDs and I understand the cards as well. Very Happy Very Happy If you see Alfredo again (I know you saw him last week), say hello from me.
latest report
Glad you guys liked the pictures. What a great few weeks, and so nice to finally get to meet and ski with so many of my snowHead buddies. I have a pic of that lake in the album. Not sure I'd want to spend too much time swimming in it. That waterfall feeding it was coming straight from glacier melt. Definate Seinfeld moment. Laughing

Thanks for the thumbs up on finishing the DVD's, Charlotte. There was a big celebration that accompanied the day it happened. They drill cards are going along much quicker. Basic Balance and Basic Edging are already available on the website, and I'm currently working on Advanced Balance. I had many customer requests for them, and they've turned out really nice. Makes it very easy to just grab a laminated card and head for the mountain with all the info needed for the drill/s being worked on that day. My students are smart cookies.

Yep, Alfredo came over from Sun Valley to train with me for 4 days last week. He talked about how much he enjoyed the camp, and how impressed he was with the job you did putting it together. I'll extend your hello next time we get together.
ski holidays
Hey, campers, I just put together this video, and used some of the great photos of the scenery, and some of you guys/gals too, from Les Deux Alpes this summer. Thought you might like to have a look.

http://youtube.com/v/GZGnN7SLVqY&feature=channel[/url]
latest report
FastMan, thanks. No chance of viewing that on my slow dialup connection here, but am hoping to get broadband organised soon, now they've upgraded the line a bit. snowHead
snow conditions
My girlfriend and I are considering taking joining camp if you do it again this summer. Do you accept low experience people as well? (she's been skiing for 2 years, me for 19)
snow report
Vorda, Hello, I am definitely planning to do another core skills camp in June 2010. Whether the FastMan, can make it over the pond is currently uncertain. I relly hope he will be able to, but it's a long way to come! Last year andytb, came and although he had only skied for 3 weeks and most of his classmates had skied for many years, the fact that he was young and brave allowed him to make huge improvements, so your girlfriend might very well be OK. The dates for next summer are not yet available, but we will open on either 12th June or 19th. Either way, that would be the week I would choose. If you send me an email (go through the link to my website) I can put you on an 'interested' list.

FastMan, Nice vid!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy