Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many times have you been asked about helmets?

Poster: A snowHead
Ever since the Natasha Richardson tragic death, we have lost count of the number of times we have been asked by friends and work colleagues if we ski wearing helmets.

Is this something others are now finding?

Ironically we were in Canada at the time and I bought a helmet there this year (though it didn’t help, other than keeping me head warm as I twisted my knee Sad )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

HTH Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reply that I saw on TV that someone died after crossing the road.......so I have stopped crosing roads.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try being a cyclist as well as being a skiier. It was non-stop last week rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, yep same here. 4x as much Confused rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob and sharon, not been asked by anyone coz all my friends and colleagues know I wear a helmet.

But you might be interested in two articles:

1. Last summer a 50 year old man died of similar brain haemorrhage after a football game.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2235026/Man-dies-of-brain-haemorrhage-after-heading-football.html
I don't remember any bans on heading the ball, or demands for helmets for football players.

2. One of the leading experts on ski accidents and helmets is Jasper E. Shealy.
He published an article the end of last year: "Do Helmets Reduce Fatalities or merely Alter the Patterns of Death?"
Journal of ASTM International. November 2008. (JAI) 5 (10).
He concludes that helmets have no influence on fatalities: "Even though the prevalence of helmet utilization is rising by 4 to 5 percent per year in the U.S., there has been no statistically significant observable effect on the incident of fatality." (page 5 of his article)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim .... Splitter !!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim wrote:
all my friends and colleagues know I wear a helmet.

Either they are unuasually anxious about your well being or you might want to consider conversation classes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
None, I think they all want me to die. Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob and sharon wrote:
Ever since the Natasha Richardson tragic death, we have lost count of the number of times we have been asked by friends and work colleagues if we ski wearing helmets
Ever since the Natasha Richardson tragic death, we have lost count of the number of times we have been asked by friends and work colleagues if we ski wearing helmets.

Is this something others are now finding? ....

Nope.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm with Mosha Marc and achilles in the 'no one gives a stuff whether I wear one or not' camp Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Schuss in Boots, same here. I'm very envious of Jonpim.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Since Natasha Richardson's death several people at work have commented, saying they hope I wear a helmet, first time it's ever been mentioned. I'm not sure whether they value me, or the business information I hold in my head rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schuss in Boots, do you wear a helmet?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and ..nope..
snow conditions
Michelle, awwww I feel all warm and fluffy now... ta love! Blush Blush (no)
ski holidays
nbt, YUP. A few.
snow report
Yup... and my mum phoned to check that the kids wear helmets - she's obviously not bothered about me LOL!
ski holidays
once, but only after a friend of his ended up in a coma while skiing not wearing one so I think that is fair enough.

I get constantly questioned by my flatmates though on why I wear a helmet for mountainbiking but not for cycling to lectures. I was bloody grateful of it too on wedensday when I took just about the hardest crash I have ever taken and walked away with 'just' a broken collarbone but could have been very different had I not been wearing a fullface.
latest report
Quote:

Even though the prevalence of helmet utilization is rising by 4 to 5 percent per year in the U.S., there has been no statistically significant observable effect on the incident of fatality." (page 5 of his article)

It must be difficult to allow for other factors, though - there's been a lot of discussion here about how people are skiing faster with modern equipment and better groomed slopes, so there are more collisions than in the past. Maybe the rate of fatalities would be rising quicker without helmets? No way of telling, I suppose. The only person who has collided with me recently was my OH - and even though I didn't know until I'd stopped flying down the slope and picked myself up that it was he who had hit me (I was hit from behind) he still reckoned it was my fault. rolling eyes Fortunately a Frenchman got on the next chairlift and sat between us; maybe he had seen it happen and heard my string of foul oaths. Laughing

The Natasha Richardson effect will probably be live the Jane Goody effect; short-lived.
snow report
Strangely enough, despite my husband's accident, none of my friends and family have enquired about whether we wear helmets.
snow report
rob and sharon, How do think I get on - skydiving and skiing? Funny thing is we have to wear helmets for skydiving, as it's in the rules for the uk... and in most skydiving accidents a helmet won't make the slightest difference. Shocked

Laughing
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
He concludes that helmets have no influence on fatalities: "Even though the prevalence of helmet utilization is rising by 4 to 5 percent per year in the U.S., there has been no statistically significant observable effect on the incident of fatality." (page 5 of his article)
Given the tiny number of people killed in skiing accidents each year, the study would have to go on for years and years and years to produce any statistically significant results.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Would it have been a factor in JulesB's case?
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

The only person who has collided with me recently was my OH - and even though I didn't know until I'd stopped flying down the slope and picked myself up that it was he who had hit me (I was hit from behind) he still reckoned it was my fault. Fortunately a Frenchman got on the next chairlift and sat between us; maybe he had seen it happen and heard my string of foul oaths.

Oh DEAR!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy