Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

french laws about taking food or drink into hotel room

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off on Sunday morning and was just reading through the travel docs I've been sent and it says the following:

FOOD AND DRINK FROM OUTSIDE THE HOTEL
Under local legal codes, hotels are licensed only for food and drink stored on their own premises. Clients
therefore may not consume food and drink purchased from outside on hotel premises, although we are sure the
discourtesy will already be apparent.

This gets to me a bit, don't get me wrong I wouldn't dream of buying beer from a supermarket and sitting on the terrace or even purchasing food and eating it in the restaurant thats just common sense.
However I do intend to try and keep things on a budget this holiday because of the euro, just exchanged pound for 1.02 euro!! Mad
So was hoping to buy a baguette and some fillings, drinks etc make up a few rolls and have lunch out on the slopes. The rest is covered by the hotel as we are staying half board. Also as I'm travelling with my daughter we'll be fairly early to bed so we are taking a portable dvd player and we'll probably want a drink or snack whilst watching them.
So why am i feeling guilty about doing this already? i don't want to feel i have to smuggle snacks into my room etc, just want to have a nice holiday with my daughter. The last thing i want to do is show discourtesy as they put it, but come on.......

your thoughts please. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dlawless, as far as I know, and someone will probably correct me if I am wrong, these local laws only refer to communal areas of the hotel. So you can't eat your baguette in the lounge, or drink your own beer in the restaurant, but can do so in the privacy of your room. Sounds like British TO misinterpreting the rules, perhaps deliberately , to boost their bar profits.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, technically they're saying you can't even buy a bottle of mineral water from a supermarket to keep by your bed in case you get thirsty in the night...

I bet if the latvian maid finds an empty bottle in your room one in the morning and reports it to the hotel manager the whole resort will be on strike, lifts closed, bars closed, the lot! wink

Oh how I love the French and their rules and regulations.... it really is a joy to be part of the EU without the benfits of a common currency... wink

Try ordering a pizza and eating it in the hotel restaurant and see what happens... wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dlawless, is this a UK TO you are going with. I have stayed in many French hotels, and have obviously flouted the law in nearly all of them, but no-one has objected to our bottle of wine, or our packet of sweets, food for the children etc etc. However, I do remember a Parisien hotelier objecting (in French) to my husband taking a bottle of wine up to our room when we were on honeymoon though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I do remember a Parisien hotelier objecting (in French) to my husband taking a bottle of wine up to our room when we were on honeymoon

I should think so, shouldn't you have gone too
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris, damn, that is what was wrong................ rolling eyes . SnowGod, France has many rules and regulations, but most of them are ignored.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yes it's a UK Tour Operator.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I remember a guest trying to take a chinese take away up to their room in that series about that scuzzy hotel in Liverpool and getting prevented by the management.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dlawless, probably concerned about their reduced bar profits.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, The Britannia.... I'd have thought they'd have let u there as the food in the hotel was so bad! wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I well recall cooking a Vesta curry on a small camping gaz cooker in a cheap hotel in Paris, many moons ago, with the towels stuffed down under the door to try to keep the smell from giving us away.

We were on a very tight budget..... wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dlawless, we have always taken snacks (crisps etc.) and our duty-free gin up to our rooms. We do not make it obvious when we bring it past reception however. The gin and tonic then sit on the balcony to stay cool.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnowGod, Slight correction, it was The Adelphi, but yes it was scuzzy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so buying some stubby french bottled beers, water, chocolate snacks and snow packing them on the balcony to keep'em cool will be acceptable behaviour? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So if you want to make yourself packed lunches, just nab the ingredients from the breakfast buffet Madeye-Smiley

Even cheaper than buying from the supermarket, and you don't flout their rules that way. rolling eyes
ski holidays
dlawless, dlawless, every other hotel room in the Alps will be doing the same thing. Cooking a meal in there would be unacceptable, but chocolate snacks and a few beers are hardly a problem, surely?
latest report
No, it is not acceptable behaviour. A hotel is entitled to charge you "corkage" on food/drink consumed in your own room.

They often provide mini bars in order to permit you to drink in your own room.

Don't like it? Stay in an apartment/chalet.

That said, we've all (probably all!) done it...
snow report
ianbradders, Oh yeah.... could have been an expensive error if I was overnighting in Liverpool and avoided the Briattania only to end up in the Adelphi!!! wink
snow conditions
James the Last, I can assure you the hotel I'm staying at does not have mini bar facilities in the room!!
ski holidays
dlawless, just do it, but don't make it obvious. I don't see how it can possibly be proven anyway. Even if they find the "empties" in your room, how can they prove that you were not just getting rid of the packaging from your lunch consumed on the slopes?! They'd have to actually see you consume it I expect.
latest report
beanie1, probably got cctv in the rooms.. wink
snow conditions
What are they going to do? Confiscate it? surely that's theft?
ski holidays
SnowGod, surely that would be violating french privacy laws? or does that only apply to communal areas? Laughing
ski holidays
dlawless, since the prohibition is on consumption in the hotel and you only wish to prepare food in your room for consumption elsewhere, you are presumably in the clear. Of course, there may also be a law prohibiting preparation of food in hotel bedrooms; at the very least, you will probably have to notify the local police and M. le Maire (who is almost certainly the hotelier's cousin) of your intention no fewer than 14 days in advance. Beware; Mme Guillotine is a harsh mistress!
snow report
richmond, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Welllllll! A couple of times we have bought take-away pizza and consumed it in hotel bedroom with a bottle of wine - mmmmmm. Mind you, once was in Canada & we saw loads of people bringing in pizzas. The other time was last week in Austria when OH couldn't move from bed - he had to eat something! Very Happy Never tried it in France.
latest report
cathy, we had pizza delivered to our hotel in Banff, they even had a leaflet in the guest file.
snow report
N.American hotel rooms often have menus from local grub delivery/takeaway places in the room, so they presumably don't object (and haven't when we've done it).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, hmmm - delivered..... Now we didn't try that one!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, snap. There's a takeawy pizza place in the filling station across the road from the Inns of Banff, very handy. There's also one near the Banff Springs.
ski holidays
Quote:

SnowGod, surely that would be violating french privacy laws? or does that only apply to communal areas?

of course... silly me... they don't even have CCTV at the Sanguette camp these days do they wink Those politically correct frenchies would hate to violate somebodys divine right to abscond across the channel for a free house and free food for life at the expense of the british tax payer...
latest report
Quote:

snow packing them on the balcony to keep'em cool

they'll freeze if you don't watch out!

As for a mini-bar, what a laugh. I have, I suppose, only stayed in a fairly modest collection of French hotels but no single one of them had a mini-bar! I have stayed in loads that do, mostly in Australasia, but never ate or drank anything out of them. Rip off country.

If you're going to prepare baguettes for lunch in your hotel room (very good idea) it might be worth taking a J-cloth for tidying up. And maybe a half-used kitchen roll. And one of those fabulous French picnic knives - an Opinelle. No picnic is complete without an Opinelle, to carve up your apple.

Have a great holiday. snowHead
ski holidays
It's Bollux. We often buy beer, choc, crisps and Grand Marnier* and keep it openly in the room. In 10 years of visiting France, Switzeland, Italy and Austria no-one has EVER said a word against us. I normally leave any unconsumed (full) bottles so the cleaning staff get their cut! Very Happy

I often carry a hip flask of Grand Marnier and use it to 'fortify' the hot choc bought on the mountain while sitting at the bar. In one bar I shared it with the bar man who seemed perfectly happy. We spend enough in these places anyway, so what's a bottle or two in ones room?

*Well it is one of life's essentials.
latest report
When staying at a hotel in Aosta last week the hotel had no problems with us bringing beer and wine to the dining table, no corkage was charged.
snow report
beanie1, Thats fantastic, i dont think i would have the nerve to atempt that or did they suggest you could or was it in the hotel bumph?

Name and praise the hotel please.
ski holidays
Hotel Bus. Afraid that's all I'd praise though, the food is abysmal and the staff rude. We were instructors staying there for work, but I don't think that means we should be treated as second class citizens.
snow report
Quote:

So was hoping to buy a baguette and some fillings, drinks etc make up a few rolls and have lunch out on the slopes

You mean you aren't going to be stuffing the extra bits of buffet baguette and ham and cheese into a 'carefully concealed' napkin like everyone else...SHAME ON YOU.. Toofy Grin

In all the years of staying in French hotels I have never thought twice about us having a bottle of gin or crisps etc in the room. They are not bothered. We DID however get a tip off about a hotel in Sauze we stayed in years ago, that they would search rooms and confiscate hooch if they found it, so we just locked our contraband in our suitcases. Cannot comment on taking your own to the table though.

It is not worth worrying about. Enjoy your holday.
latest report
dlawless, that rule refers to the hotel's bar and restaurant. If you want to picnic in your rooms like an old skinflint, you are entirely at liberty to do so. Laughing
ski holidays
You could always hide the evidence down the legs of your salopettes and then dispose of it by distributing it around the resort as in the prisoner of war films.... oh but then you would be breaking some litter by-law!
ski holidays
I stayed in a hotel in Italy last week. I realise the Italians are a bit more laid back than the French, but they didn't seem at all bothered by the antics of some of my 'hotel-mates', a group of students from Glasgow. Clearly they didn't like the food offered in the hotel (which I thought was delicious and they even catered for a veggie like me) and many of them brought pizzas back to their room rather than eating in the hotel. They also had a habit of 'stealing' the breakfast cobs/bread and making butties which they took out skiing with them, with the consequence that there wasn't enough breakfast bread to go round all the hotel residents...

I found all this quite inconsiderate towards the hotel staff and other guests and thought these students would have been better off in self-catering accommodation, leaving hotels for people like me who appreciate being waited on. However, the students concerned probably weren't involved in the decision about where they stayed so I can't really blame them...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 20-03-09 18:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy