Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Court case: New direction for boots etc in hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5880811.ece

Might this impel airlines and airports to finally clarify things?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, They are generally clear, apart from a few airport staff who appear not to know what the rules are.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, but at least we can still take lighters on board. They can't do any damage can they? rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney, the fact the topic comes up so often suggests otherwise
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andytb, Not really.

It just says people want to find out the rules for the specific airport/airline they are using, and find asking here to be an easy way to find out.

The issue is not that they aren't clear, the issue is that they aren't consistent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Times Online wrote:
The EU list shows that racquets are not specifically banned from the cabin. However, it contains a catch-all prohibition on "any blunt instrument capable of causing injury". An over-eager airport official might still argue that racquets fall into that category.

Surely a laptop would count as a "blunt instrument capable of causing injury"? And I'd guess those are amongst the most common articles taken on board aircraft!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think they have been clear. If you look on airline and airport websites the items of this sort not permitted but not covered by general rules, are not listed, so anyone who has not been alerted to this issue on this website (and phoned up the specific airline or airport) have no way to know they are banned items. Even at airports it is necessary to specifically ask the security people since the general information people often do not know. It should be possible to simply look at a list of banned items under an airline's "conditions of travel". (The fact that there is such a list but it does not contain these items makes it worse). Someone should also compile a list of airports which ban different objects, which would be known to the airlines.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball, Like andytb, you seem to be confusing "not clear" and "not consistent".

Most of the airports/airlines which have banned ski boots in hand luggage have stated this fact, it is just that people need to look it up for each combination of airline/airport thye are using, and there is no "general" list covering all airports.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have yet to find an airline or airport which does list them (certainly they didn't last year). Perhaps I haven't looked recently enough. Out of interest, can you give me an example of one of either who now does? If it is necessary to phone airports the airlines should warn people of this. Do they now? (I've not seen it in the past)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Checking in with Jet2 Manchester in February, the helpful assistant at the desk suggested I should have taken mine as hand luggage to save having to book in an extra bag.

I thought Manchester and Jet2 were against it. Confused
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="mfj197"]
Times Online wrote:
The EU list shows that racquets are not specifically banned from the cabin. However, it contains a catch-all prohibition on "any blunt instrument capable of causing injury". An over-eager airport official might still argue that racquets fall into that category.

The human body (or at least its extremities) is a blunt instrument capable of causing injury? where do they draw the line?

I appreciate that it would be difficult to cover every item but surely it is not beyond the EU to draft a list of sporting equipment that can or cannot be taken on board? After all the vast majority of people just want to get to their destination a cheaply as possible in terms of luggage rules regarding weight and size and with a reasonable chance of their expensive gear being intact upon arrival!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, Grenoble http://www.grenoble-airport.com/-Travel-low-cost-.html

Chambery http://www.chamberyairport.net/QandA/Ski-Boots.php

Bristol listed them on their website last year, but no longer do (and people have reported taking them through Bristol this year, so that would be correct). As far as I am aware, there are currently no UK airports which ban ski boots in hand luggage.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I flew back from Berlin a couple of weeks ago, we were asked over the PA to refrain from eating any nut-based products as there was a passenger on board with a severe nut allergy.

Does this mean that the humble peanut is a blunt instrument capable of causing injury?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cattlegrid_79 wrote:
When I flew back from Berlin a couple of weeks ago, we were asked over the PA to refrain from eating any nut-based products as there was a passenger on board with a severe nut allergy.

Does this mean that the humble peanut is a blunt instrument capable of causing injury?

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I take real exception to this comment.... peanut allergies are not something to be flippant about!!!!

My 6 year old daughter has such a severe peanut allery that any exposure to peanuts would most likely result in anaphalactic shock which if not halted with adrenalin could prove fatal in a matter of minutes, for that reason we have to be ever vigilant and carry adrenalin filled hypos (epipens) wherever we go.

When you open a bag of peanuts, microscopic amounts of peanut dust are thrown into the air, there have been recorded cases where this dust has then been dragged into the aircraft air circulation system and deposited throughout the entire cabin causing anaphalactic shock in peanut allergy sufferers.

So... a) the peanut isn't quite as humble as you think and b) damned right you'll refrain from eating peanuts on any aircraft my daughter happens to be on Mad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So all passengers have to be banned from eating peanuts jsut in case your daughter is affected? Bollix, don't fly, drive yourself everywhere Evil or Very Mad
latest report
halfhand wrote:
So all passengers have to be banned from eating peanuts jsut in case your daughter is affected? Bollix, don't fly, drive yourself everywhere Evil or Very Mad

That has to be the most appallingly crass and insensitive remark I've read in a long time. Glad I don't actually know you.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
snowball, They are generally clear, apart from a few airport staff who appear not to know what the rules are.

I do not think they are clear. East Midlands airport is one whihc regular crops up in these threads. I have just gone onto the airport website, typed in their search function "ski boots" and it returned two articles, none of which were regarding the rules or regulations for taking boots as hand luggage. Therefore, not at all clear. If the rules were clear I would expect to easily find a document or otherwise stating the facts.
latest report
ditto Liverpool airport
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
snowball, Grenoble http://www.grenoble-airport.com/-Travel-low-cost-.html

Chambery http://www.chamberyairport.net/QandA/Ski-Boots.php

Bristol listed them on their website last year, but no longer do (and people have reported taking them through Bristol this year, so that would be correct). As far as I am aware, there are currently no UK airports which ban ski boots in hand luggage.

Thanks for those examples.
Stanstead told me when I rang a month ago that they do not allow ski boots in hand luggage, but their website does not say so. Ryanair had been unable to tell me this either, but said they themselves now do allow them in hand luggage (they didn't last year - but didn't say so on their web-site). I didn't bother to find out about Treviso where I was going to.

Interestingly those telescopic ski-pole type walking poles are not allowed but a traditional walking stick is OK (not sure if they might question it for a young, fit-looking person).
snow conditions
In Feb, at Heathrow, they made me take my shoes off as I went through the metal detector, but failed to notice that I had one of these in my pocket rolling eyes It wasn't till I landed in Zurich that I found it - from some last minute DIY before leaving home...

snow conditions
Ray Zorro, Shoes is a random thing. Although sometimes it they are quiet they'll make everyone remove them.
ski holidays
Vipa wrote:
there have been recorded cases where this dust has then been dragged into the aircraft air circulation system and deposited throughout the entire cabin causing anaphalactic shock in peanut allergy sufferers.

One of my friends who we will be going for an end of season whizz with has a nut allergy. He has said he has never heard of airborne dust in an airlcraft causing problems. Can you give a link to cases you're refering to as I (and he) would be very interested. We are flying BA so I would think their filters are OK but still would be interested.

Thanks
snow report
halfhand, you utter T**T.

Anyway I find it very weird (and extremely tight fisted) that anyone would want to walk around an airport with their ski boots as hand luggage! I also hold the belief that they are dangerous if they fall out of an overhead locker - much more so than a normal bag of the same weight.

Wayne, there are varying degrees of nut allergies and if you are next to someone or behind them in a cabin it can cause problems. It doesnt have to relate to teh air con - it could be someone eating them and sneezing etc..
latest report
halfhand wrote:

No.... you ********... not just in case my daughter is affected..... just in case my daughter DIES!!!!!!!

I hope for your sake that when your balls have dropped and you are mature enough to have children of your own none of them suffer a severe allergy as frightening as this...

Wayne - a quick google search gave me this: http://www.cps.ca/english/statements/CP/cp07-01.htm#FoodAllergies
snow conditions
Vipa wrote:
Wayne - a quick google search gave me this: http://www.cps.ca/english/statements/CP/cp07-01.htm#FoodAllergies

Thank you. That is very informative advice. I will past the link on the karen so she can read it.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Interestingly those telescopic ski-pole type walking poles are not allowed but a traditional walking stick is OK (not sure if they might question it for a young, fit-looking person).

Oo I hope that's not the case - we're due to take my mother to Croatia later in the year; her walking stick is one of the Leki hiking sticks, as she doesn't want to think of herself as an old lady who needs a walking stick. However she is and simply won't manage the airport or plane without it
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
snowball wrote:

Oo I hope that's not the case - we're due to take my mother to Croatia later in the year; her walking stick is one of the Leki hiking sticks, as she doesn't want to think of herself as an old lady who needs a walking stick. However she is and simply won't manage the airport or plane without it

If the do insist that the Leki can't go in the cabin they will give her assistance on and off the plane, to the point of a wheelchair right to the cabin and physical help to her seat if necessary, they won't see her stuck.

My wife uses a walking stick (to stop her from falling over) and has never had any problem taking it on board, it's just a traditional wooden one though or sometimes an aluminium medical one with an ergonomic handle if she's having a bad time.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:

I've never had, or heard, of a problem with any type of walking stick Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

I do not think they are clear. East Midlands airport is one whihc regular crops up in these threads. I have just gone onto the airport website, typed in their search function "ski boots" and it returned two articles, none of which were regarding the rules or regulations for taking boots as hand luggage. Therefore, not at all clear. If the rules were clear I would expect to easily find a document or otherwise stating the facts.

Only if they don't allow them.
ski holidays
Nickster wrote:

Anyway I find it very weird (and extremely tight fisted) that anyone would want to walk around an airport with their ski boots as hand luggage!

Why?

Although with current weight limits, it can be a way around paying punitive excess baggage charges, I don't think it "extremely tight fisted" to want to avoid those.

But when it first cropped up, it wasn't about that, it was people wanting to keep their boots with them as being the most certain way of actually having the most essential part of your kit arrive with you.

Quote:

I also hold the belief that they are dangerous if they fall out of an overhead locker - much more so than a normal bag of the same weight.

Why?

I can see that anything heavy could be bad if it falls out, but I can't see why ski boots are any worse than any other bag of the same weight.
snow report
Ray Zorro, I flew with one of these by accident in my carry-on bag once

I didn't find it until re-packing for my trip home. The look of horror on my face was a picture Shocked

Good knife as it happens wink
latest report
andytb, very lucky. I forgot I had a Gerber knife in my bag (had been sailing and camping). Found at security going throug Madrid Barajas airport - they were very good (just as those at Luton had been when I left a Swiss Army knife in my bag... Embarassed bit of a trend...) They let me back out to sort out it's travel home. My luggage had already gone through, obviously, so that wasn't an option. So I posted it to myself - as I had done at Luton. Bloody expensive knife, knicked in the post... Twisted Evil (Unlike my Swiss Army knife, returned to me by an honest British postie before I'd got back from my skiing Toofy Grin ).
ski holidays
RobW wrote:
Ray Zorro, Shoes is a random thing. Although sometimes it they are quiet they'll make everyone remove them.
At Geneva in December, hundreds waiting.... required multiple trays, coats off, shoes off, empty pockets, all electrical equipment out of bag. They were in no hurry and the queue was getting longer.
Although I'd rather do that, providing they do a thorough job and it stops the scum bags!
latest report
andytb, I couldn't believe I had left this in my pocket last time I flew

snow conditions
stevo_the_saddler, Laughing

I don't know if the stick thing is general but it is true of Easyjet.: see item 16

In addition to the list of dangerous articles highlighted above, the following articles must not be carried on board either on the person or as cabin baggage:

Guns, Firearms and Weapons:
Toys or replica guns (plastic or metal)
Catapults, cross bows, harpoons
All firearms and component part of firearms
Signal flare pistols, starter pistols, air pistols, rifles and pellet guns
Industrial bolt and nail guns
Animal humane killers, stun or shocking devices
Lighters shaped like firearms
Pointed / edged Weapons and Sharp Objects:
Axes, hatchets, arrows, darts
Crampons, harpoons, spears, ice axes and ice picks
Ice skates
Meat Cleavers
Household cutlery
Knives with blades of any length and machetes
Ski and walking / hiking poles
Razor blades and Scalpels
Tradesmen's tools
Sabres, swords and swordsticks
Scissors
Hypodermic syringes (unless supported by medical evidence)
Blunt Instruments:
Knitting needles
Sporting bats
Billiard, snooker or pool cues
Lacrosse and hockey sticks
Kayak and canoe paddles
Fishing rods
Martial arts equipment
Skateboards
In addition to the list of dangerous articles highlighted above, the following articles are not permitted to be carried on an easyJet aircraft.
Explosives and Flammable Substances:
Ammunition, explosives and explosive devices
Blasting caps
Detonators and fuses
Replica or imitation explosive material or devices
Mines and other explosive military stores
Fireworks, flares and other pyrotechnics
Grenades, smoke generating canisters or cartridges
Flammable liquids of any kind
Aerosol spray paint, turpentine and paint thinner
Alcoholic beverages exceeding 70% by volume
Chemical and toxic substances:
Acids and alkalis, corrosive or bleaching substances
Disabling or incapacitating sprays
Radioactive material
Poisons, infectious or biological hazardous material
Fire extinguishers
This list is not exhaustive
ski holidays
I couldn't believe I had left this in my pocket last time I flew - though I should have been alerted by security objecting to the tin hats of the 6 people behind me.
latest report
snowball, Laughing
snow report
snowball wrote:

Ski and walking / hiking poles

Would security/the airline make a distinction between poles used as sports equipment by fit young things and a walking stick required by someone disabled to actually walk? Common sense would suggest they should, but common sense seems to be what's lacking among the jobsworths...
snow conditions
We had originally been going to take a walking pole tp Scotland, but an ordinary walking stick was fine (my wife exaggerated her slight limp as we went through security).
snow report
Want to go back to the peanut thing if I may.....

Now I can understand Vipa response to such a stupid post, but am intrigued as to where the line should be drawn. If the very presence of peanuts (or whichever allergen) can cause such a violent response, who would be liable in the event of an unfortunate event? The airline, or the peanut eater? Would the airline be within its rights to refuse boarding, as they could not guarantee the safety for the passenger? What about other modes of public transport, or public areas? Whilst I would not personally tackle a bag of KP if in the company of someone who were allergic, how would I know in say, the pub? Or the train? The tube?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy