Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fat ski convert

Poster: A snowHead
chris wrote:
rob@rar, not as fast as they could if they had had modern fat skis.

Yes more than likely, but good skiers in those days skied their skinny skis better than the vast majority of skiers today could ever hope to (Plake springs to mind, for example). So I don't think skinny skis will hold anyone back if they are determined to ski them in deep snow (not that I'm recommending it).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chris wrote:
I like to ski fast in deep powder. I can with 100+cms skis, I can't with -70cms skis. I don't think it's my ability. I think it's more to do with the Laws of Physics.

you'd do better if you got rid of the snowlerblades NehNeh
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, not as easily. Just like carving skis have opened up carving to the masses who otherwise lacked the technique, fat skis have opened up variable snow conditions to more inexperienced skiers by making it easier to ski them Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, I typically have given your comments some thought as i assumed you were a pretty good skier. In other threads you indicate that you are a sponsored free rider and are WhiteDot's ambassador in NA as well as being a candidate L3 instructor which would indicate a pretty high level of skiing ability. What exactly do you do for WhiteDot?

But now I am really having a hard time taking anything you have to say about skiing at face value after hearing your porkie pie about what qualification you have.. Early in the thread we had this statement when you were asked which skis you would pick for all round use during exams.

Quote:

but not something I'm about to lead a crusade against while trying to get my l3

So here i am thinking you are an L2 and working on getting your L3 license. Then we had this one....
Quote:

My CSIA2 in Feb got cancelled unfortunately - not enough on the course - though I've had strong feedback that I'm good for it, and I've been working on 3 related stuff for a while now

I know it is the internet but if you big yourself up and your qualifications, pretend to be associated with a ski manufacturer it is hard to be taken seriously.

You and your mate sps89 must have gone to the same ski school to get so good so fast...[/b]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-03-09 11:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
rob@rar, not as easily. Just like carving skis have opened up carving to the masses who otherwise lacked the technique, fat skis have opened up variable snow conditions to more inexperienced skiers by making it easier to ski them Smile

Exactly what I've been saying all along.

sps89 wrote:
whereas it is true to say that a 75mm (skinny) ski will not handlw any deep snow.

Spyderman wrote:

The 88mm is easier to ski than the 75mm in 'Deep Snow' but it still copes just fine. There's nowhere where the 8mm can go that the 75mm can't.

The key words are 'Easier' not 'will not handle' Maybe your ability will not allow you to ski anything less than 90mm in deep snow. Puzzled

DaveC wrote:

Ugh, the "why don't WC racers ski fat skis" is such a pathetic argument. C'mon. Torsional stiffness is an attribute more common in thinner skis but not unknown in fatter skis. Your "easier" and "will not handle" is an argument that fits in any slot too, it's like a scrabble blank tile. If I was bloody minded enough (and it sounds like a few people actually are, from the always funny bi-annual threads), I could take snowblades anywhere too and make the same argument.

I'd like to see the Snowblades skied in deep powder however.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gravity: You use it to your advantge in all skiing, wider skis help resist these forces when the surface is soft. How hard is this to undestand.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman wrote:

I'd like to see the Snowlerblades skied in deep powder however.

I have, it's impossible to watch without the benny hill theme springing to mind.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
DaveC, I typically have given your comments some thought as i assumed you were a pretty good skier. In other threads you indicate that you are a sponsored free rider and are WhiteDot's ambassador in NA as well as being a candidate L3 instructor which would indicate a pretty high level of skiing ability. What exactly do you do for WhiteDot?

I wondered that too. I don't see any mention on the Whitedot website with regard to being a team member http://www.whitedotfreeride.com/team.php
plus aren't sponsored skiers usually expected to use their sponsors equipment?
DaveC wrote:
I'd guess my 3 options for skis get about equal time on them (for the record, my quiver is RX9s, Prophet 90s, PM Gear Lhasa Pows).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Gravity: You use it to your advantge in all skiing, wider skis help resist these forces when the surface is soft. How hard is this to undestand.

Most of us understand and as you say yourself ''wider skis help'' as in make it ''easier''
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC very kindly offered to help us promote WDF in Nth America. He will be supplied with Demo skis next season if he wishes to pursue it as a rep. The reason he's not on the team page is because the guys there are either competing or involved in R&D.

You guys really are arguing over nothing here. Bang yer heads together lads. Most of you are saying the same thing which is basically, ski what ever makes you happy.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-03-09 12:05; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

I agree entirely. I've never said that fat skis don't help off piste, nor would I ever recommend someone to "go skinny" if they want to have fun and get better at skiing deep snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Not hard to understand at all, and worth repeating. But how hard is it to understand that fat skis make it more challenging to develop your technical skills on piste?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cunners wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

I'd like to see the Snowlerblades skied in deep powder however.

I have, it's impossible to watch without the benny hill theme springing to mind.

Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kiwi1 wrote:
DaveC very kindly offered to help us promote WDF in the US. He will be supplied with Demo skis next season if he wishes to pursue it as a rep. The reason he's not on the team page is because the guys there are either competing or involved in R&D.

You guys really are arguing over nothing here. Bang yer heads together lads. Most of you are saying the same thing which is basically, ski what ever makes you happy.

Thanks for clarifying things, all I could find is this:
DaveC wrote:
I like the sound of the Preacher and Redeemer - share some more info on tip/rocker/sidecut profiles Smile

Want a pair to be tested/demoed to people in Fernie? Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, you're welcome.
ski holidays
kiwi1, can i get a set of skis to be your rep at Milton Keynes and Hemel Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar, Do people really buy fat skis before being able to Carve or ski on piste? Idiots.
latest report
skimottaret, yeah no worries. The Redeemers on their way rolling eyes . They carve as good as any ski and will be great MK and Hemel Toofy Grin NehNeh
snow report
They should be OK. The Redeamers only have a 29m radius and Hemel slope is 32m wide. Can I have a set too. wink
snow conditions
kiwi1, back away from the thread now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
Spyderman, actually the Redeemer has changed some what. The TR is closer to 16m. NehNeh
snow report
300 weeks on snow and you can ski anything anywhere...scale it down and it is a dam sight easier to ski a fat ski in deep snow than a thinner ( obviously ) and the fatter ski will probably do a better job of getting you round the whole mountain than a thinner one will do.
Of course, 75mm will get you in deep stuff but you will be concentrating on keeping those tips alive and will probably revert to tight S's. This is a fun way to ski but the 75mm will be a struggle to make big GS's with regards to stability..and we all know speed is our friend off-piste...so a bigger more stable platform is good here.

Fat skis make off-piste viable for a lot of people now..and they would have no chance and no technique to ski much less than 75mm in deep snow... Not a hope in hell, even.... On a fat in the deep, you rock the turn and you...err...rock.
Of course, IMV, fats dumb down your style somewhat on hard snow... or at least, it does with me... but again..where do you want to be, skiing what....?

In view of lots of people getting in the way of fresh tracks...I say, ban the Fat skis altogether....it is just stinking the Off-piste out..Laughing Laughing Laughing wink

For me, I use a mid fat for 90% of the time and will only hire a GS ski if it hasn't snowed for eons and the off-piste is rotten.......

Don't get me started on a quiver..Laughing Laughing
snow report
kiwi1, Only pulled the info from the website: http://www.whitedotfreeride.com/skis3.php

TR from 29m to 16m, that's an enormous change.
snow conditions
Spyderman, Its the Rocker thats changed. Dims are still 148/128/138 or more like 140/148/128/138/130. It's still 190. I'm driving to the factory over the next two weeks. We'll take photos to show you.
ski holidays
kiwi1, Would you like your product exposed to the Paradiski area, ntfarmer on asking around came to the conclusion that no one had heard of them.
If you can send me a demo pair before April 2nd I will happily advertise them around the resorts and ski shops for you Toofy Grin
snow report
Oh is that someone at the door...............
ski holidays
kiwi1, Laughing Laughing
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
rob@rar, Do people really buy fat skis before being able to Carve or ski on piste? Idiots.
I see a few.

I think that contributors to this thread are, rightly, pointing out the advantages of fat skis for more easily skiing all of the mountain, and doing it at higher speeds, greater stability, etc, etc. From what I can see everyone saying that is a pretty good skier and they are entirely almost focused on skiing off-piste, and probably spend a very high proportion of their time away from groomed snow. Nothing wrong with that at all, and it's one of the pinnacles of skiing that I think we can aspire to. But those ability levels and the amount of time spent off-piste are really not typical of recreational skiers generally, and I don't think are representative of the majority of snowHeads either. But the mantra (apologies for the ski pun) that you should go as fat as you can, IMO, does a disservice to those people who are still trying (or really should be trying) to develop their core technique, or for whom skiing off-piste will only ever be a bit of piste-side dabbling when it has just snowed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, why do actually try to explain yourself to him.. just post a Laughing when you dont agree with something...
ski holidays
Laughing
latest report
opps typo
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, why do actually try to explain yourself to him.. just post a Laughing when you dont agree with something...

I hope I wrote that for an audience of more than one.
ski holidays
AFAIK there's only one regular sH who's a fully paid-up member of the skinny ski brigade (whose new name shall go unmentioned wink ).

All of those accused of membership are actually in the horses for courses, and more accurately, tools for the job brigade.

Too often anyone who asks on sH what skis to buy is told to buy fat if not obese ones. At first no one challenged this fattist doctrine. Then gradually some posters started to feel increasingly uncomfortable that this kept happening, and quite individually started to post more balanced responses where appropriate.

Personally, I get the feeling that when recommending all-comers to ski obese some people are really saying
1) look at me, I ski off piste, and
2) look at me, I can carve on a fat ski Toofy Grin

Of course the reality may well be
1) I want you to think I ski off piste but it's really side of piste, and
2) I skid everywhere
but I couldn't possibly say wink

My view is that as most European recreational skiers don't ski much off piste or deep snow, they won't benefit from fat (not to mention obese) skis. Of course they won't benefit from race (narrow) skis either. Rather, as usual, a middle way is best. I'd suggest that most largely piste skiers should be choosing skis mainly from the All Mountain range of most manufacturers, which are usually <80mm waist. Of course off piste intentions and aspirations should influence this, as should body weight.

If people were coming on and asking what kind of ski would be best for mainly off piste deep snow use in Utah, and fat skis were being recommended, no one would bat an eyelid. Big float, GS turns, little need for skill development wink
snow conditions
slikedges, eloquently put, as usual.
ski holidays
slikedges, I would just like people to try it, the science of it is real, i get the feeling those who say you shouldn't try it are really saying "Ah pi$$ i just bought what i thought was an All-mountain ski (80mm) and now i'm reading that i've made a mistake or should have perhaps tried it instead of listening to others in the same position."

I'm not a good skier by any stretch of the imagination but can ski off piste and carve on piste easily with a ski at 140mm underfoot.
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:

Personally, I get the feeling that when recommending all-comers to ski obese some people are really saying
1) look at me, I ski off piste, and
2) look at me, I can carve on a fat ski Toofy Grin

Damn, you've found me out again Embarassed
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm all in favour of people trying it as well. People should try a good fat ski, a good skinny ski and a good all-mountain in a range of situations to get a feel for what they like.

BTW, what radius does your 140mm ski have, and what kind of turns were you making when you carved them on piste?
snow report
rob@rar, 29m, and given that the snow surface has not 100% resistance, i guess i got them down to 20m. Feck i sound like a, a, a SH. Embarassed
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
rob@rar, 29m, and given that the snow surface has not 100% resistance, i guess i got them down to 20m. Feck i sound like a, a, a SH. Embarassed

OK, so pretty long radius turns then. As you were carving I'll bet you were going warp speed.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, the logic is real too. I'd want anyone who had any doubts to try too, as well as anyone who doesn't but feels so inclined. I have not nor have I seen suggested that people shouldn't test out a really fat ski.

May I ask what percentage of British recreational skiers you think are able to ski off piste competently and carve on piste easily with a ski at 140mm underfoot?

However I still feel you and I are somewhat talking at cross purposes - my use of All Mountain refers to many manufacturers' description of the category of skis I'd suggest would work well for someone who is in large part a piste skier. I'm not suggesting that such skis would be a good choice for someone who really wished to ski all the mountain, seeing as it is only ever a tiny percentage of any mountain that is pisted.

Mosha Marc, I don't specifically remember your post but if you say so wink however I'm sure you realise that most recreational skiers do not have the same emphasis for their skiing, nor are as accomplished a skier, as you?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy