Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over the lip - how do you prepare yourself?

Poster: A snowHead
I pull my trousers up and do a wiggle to relax. Then just do it.

Should realy just get some new ski trousers with braces.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One trick from a Texan ski instructor many years ago was - go straight over the lip if you can, not much of an angle, and you have already done half your first turn. You do see people dropping off lips, stopping across the slope and then having to do a near 180 turn with no speed, and no available room.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are we out with the OP here... ?? I read it as the skier couldn't see the whole line down the slope and therefore got apprehensive about what may be below.. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sideshow_Bob, Veeeery nice pics. I've bookmarked it to look at the other 10 pages when I get back (heading out to the Dolomites to ski with guide Zeb Roche again tomorrow - with Horizon and others).

Someone taught me:
choose your line, look away for 3 seconds, look back and go at once.

Works for jumps so would probably work for lips too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, Not really - I am thinking of something like coming off a traversing piste on to off piste where the drop down the fall line is very steep but visible.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, oh..you might stop and scope it, but otherwise, steep doesn't concerm me so much..check the snow, line and go..

but we can all say that... wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, snowball do you pump the shoulders or do anything with the arms at the lip or just after to keep 'em in front?

Still peeved at myself for missing you in the Village, BTW.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, the odd thing is that turning form a narrow traverse (say like the start of La Grave from just below the top restaurant) doesn't worry me nearly so much. It's dropping off from a nice safe piste that gets me a bit. hey ho. Will find out again how to handle it in not so much time now, I hope. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, if I am following this properly, I just edge set and go and lead with a pole plant.

achilles, wink How is that going..?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, I'll PM you later today.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have been reading this with interest as although technically I can get down pretty much anything, I'm not very brave. I loathe it when on approaching a ridge, people line up along the top of the slope and peer over as though it's Beachy Head.

Last week in La Plagne I had done a black in the morning which caused me no problem and was enjoyable. I then approached the black (la mio) off the top of Roche de Mio. Everyone was lined up gawping over. It turned out to be a bare, scraped drop straight down ending in a long schuss Shocked . Like most, I am happier once I've put in the first turn and found my rhythm. This run (to me) was so steep and scraped it completely spooked me and I couldn't turn back. I side-slipped down the first bit and then tried to put in a turn but made the classic error - got scared, turned my body into the mountain, edges went and fell face down the piste at speed. Luckily my husband sped past me, put himself deliberately in my path and although I took him out, it ground me to a halt. Phew. I hate being beaten and really wanted to do this run the next day but chickened out and did the blue Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bluebell, hope you're impressed by your husband's dedication to you. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, Not to mention side-stepping back up the piste to retrieve one of my poles after putting me back together. He's a star Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bluebell, Wow Shocked Now that's what I call a husband... snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bluebell, saw a video of a wicked looking black in la plagne and i'm wondering if it's the one you describe - is at at 3250m or something like that? and it has a little (maybe not so little when you're standing on it) lip to get into it? and it's steeeeep!?

definitely have that run on my list to do when i go out there is just over a week (wooo! snowHead ).

any other run recomendations in that neck of the woods?
snow conditions
DrE, I think the run you are referring to may be one of the blacks of the glacier? The black on which I became unstuck was Roche de Mio at 2700m. To be frank, if it had recently snowed and the run had been pisted, then it would probably not be as bad (ho, ho) rolling eyes

Having spent most of my week as a sheep i.e. not really looking at the piste map but 'following my leader' then I can't really pin point the best ones. But, as for lunches, we had 3 good lunches at the Borselliers restaurant, next to the Borselliers chair. Lovely sun terrace to sit out on if the weather is good and the bottle of local cider was superb. We were staying in the hamlet of Les Coches, which was lovely a quiet and so tended to steer away from the middle of La Plagne villages and the huge Clapham Junction area of Bellecote due to it still being holidays and hugely busy.

Do go across to Les Acrs as it works really easily (though our chalet was only a chairlift away). We took the first Vanoise Express over in the morning and it was amazing how much ground you can cover. We caught the last lift back over to La Plagne but still managed to take a last chair up above Les Coches and due to the longer days, found ourselves skiing back to the chalet gone 6pm with all the mountains going pink - quite lovely.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
I came across the February / March edition of Ski & Board today at Lockwoods whilst waiting for a boot to be tweaked. Tucked away in it was an article pretty much on the topic of this thread - ie how to get your head around a steep slope mentally. In essence it said get focused, rehearse in your mind your descent (or I guess what you can see of it - and relax as you ski. It rather made sense to me.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
I came across the February / March edition of Ski & Board today at Lockwoods whilst waiting for a boot to be tweaked. Tucked away in it was an article pretty much on the topic of this thread - ie how to get your head around a steep slope mentally. In essence it said get focused, rehearse in your mind your descent (or I guess what you can see of it - and relax as you ski. It rather made sense to me.

After seeing your post I looked up that article and I see that it was written by Mark Jones with whom I skied with Snoworks back in December.

He gave us a little talk along the same lines one afternoon out on the mountain. In essence he says that when ever you are faced with anything challenging, get all the clutter out of your mind and focus totally on that immediate challenge.

The article is well worth a read in my view.
latest report
achilles, A bit like planning a climb in reverse Laughing
snow conditions
Scarpa, I planned very few rock climbs - but yes - philosophically, rather like looking at a tough-ish scrambling route. Very Happy
ski holidays
achilles, LOL... same as the skiing really. Pick islands of safety and break the route down into manageable stages. Get your head round it then GO!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy