Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over the lip - how do you prepare yourself?

Poster: A snowHead
Once you are over the lip you are into normal territory ...........

Ah. Well. That's the thing. How often have you come to a lip and thought the slope looked well-nigh impossible - only to find, once on it, that in fact things were very enjoyable, and you can't imagine why you had a problem? On one occasion, skiing with a SCGB holiday group (including stoatsbrother) I opted out - after being held up with a long wait) at Tortin, Verbier - only to be told by the entire party after their descent that I would have had no problems.

Usually, though, I get on with it - easier when I am with a guide, instructor, or someone who knows me well, and in whom I have a lot of faith. But I would like some mental technique that reduces the trauma on some occasions. I tend to enter on a traverse, or a sharp turn into a traverse - and then I am away. I do find I have a preference for the direction of the first turn, and am deliberately trying to train myself to having no particular preference. I have heard that it is better sometimes to enter straight down the fall line, followed quickly by a turn. How do you guys cope?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best thing to do is take it at speed and do a helicopter 360. No time to think about it then.

Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, ha ha..thanks for that...

No set pattern for me.... we normally have spotted it and fancied it...then once we are looking down and in... I just set myself and commit...

I am feeling the snow and taking into account the edge set after the turn... and for this reason, I might just do the one turn at the top....probably a little jump.
Let the tips go and catch them.

If I had any real fear issues, I probably wouldn't be up there.

I think you build up a confidence that you have been here before and you know you can do it....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For me it's not even a matter of where do I get the first couple of turns in but where will I stop? Not being physically fit enough to tackle anything long or demanding in one burst, so long as I know that in 20 seconds I can take a breather, I'm OK. Metaphysically speaking, the start is over in an instant, so don't worry about it Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To stop oneself from doing a Mavis "oh I don't really know" then use Schnaps and lots of it. Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, you young athletic freestyle guys! Come to think of it, when I can't do my traverse thing. I do an aggressive pole plat well down the hill, which I simply have to follow, and find myself turning round to order. The lip thing is definitely something I don't get quite used to, though. Maybe no bad thing - it means I am being challenged.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
this thread would be great with pics....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Not a great shot of Banane but looks ok....

and this from the top of Chamois

turned into this

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, looks great conditions. Not so sure I would be queuing to go when it was icy Skullie
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, agreed, but if you fancy these then Banane will be a doddle ..

and as you say...conditions are everything... we had to turn down the Chamois the other week because it was loaded with new snow....
Sad Sad Sad

Here are a few more...

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, great stuff - but I'll leave the telemarking to you. Very Happy

Very atmospheric pics - I can feel myself there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, Not me on Tele, I'm afraid..I am the Cam monkey...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JFDI Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MTFU
snow conditions
An excuse to post a thread on TGR that gets me stoked every time I look at it: http://www.tetongravity.com/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=19209
Some set the heart racing, even sat here behind my desk at work several hundred miles from proper snow.

I know it's tarty but I really want to do Corbet's, just because I've seen so many pics of the entry and wonder how I'd feel at the top preparing to drop in.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-02-09 15:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, Shocked Wow, I "enjoyed" that.
snow report
Admire view, look down go "nnnggggghhhhh", admire view again, think "oh stuff it", bang tops of poles together 3 times and drop iiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnn.......

I don't know what the pole bang thing is, but it works for me.

Somewhere on TGR there is an ace helmet cam of "Star Chute" with a floyd soundtrack that's basically 2 minutes of pussying around followed by 7 seconds of idiot gunning followed by the inevitable Very Happy . I'll see if I can find it later.
latest report
Everybody, at whatever level, has their own
Quote:

look down go "nnnggggghhhhh"
moments. The secret is not to hang about, but just go. Oh, come to think of it, brian's already said that. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Closer to home - http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?21,2007-04-22
(Not my pictures but Doug does post here)
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Everybody, at whatever level, has their own
Quote:

look down go "nnnggggghhhhh"
moments. The secret is not to hang about, but just go. Oh, come to think of it, brian's already said that. Toofy Grin

Yup. I liked the 'bang the poles together 3 times' trick, too Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, serious stuff Shocked will have a better look this evening when I get some proper time to do so.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, Shocked Shocked don't know if that makes me feel chicken or just very sane.
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, Shocked Shocked don't know if that makes me feel chicken or just very sane.

Sane. Definitely sane Shocked
snow report
As already said don't hang about looking down for long
Its better to make a start even if you need to stop after a few turns rather than thinking about it before you start
Having said that some of the pics above I would never be standing at the top of to contemplate skiing them. Shocked
ski holidays
MTFU and JFDI
snow conditions
What do the M and the U in MTFU stand for, please?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Hurtle, Man and Up.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, thank you.
snow report
Is it not permissible to 'just do it' without composure and whilst remaining a pathetic snivelling weed?

I'm generally cackin mesen for about 99% of the time between going over the lip and hitting the run out and tend to find the generally-manning-up and associated tales of "yeah, hit it and rode switch to the road..." don't actually appear in my consciousness until after a couple of beers.
latest report
If you know the entry to the slope well or can scout it from a different angle try not stopping to peer over the lip at all. Just use a little bit of momentum and roll over the entry, you'll be carrying slightly more speed for your first turn but you'll not have to suffer that 'will I or won't I' few seconds/minutes that can butcher confidence. I got told this by a trainer once when I kept wussing out and have never looked back - apart from the numerous times where I've ended up on my ar*e Embarassed
snow report
Found it!
Teh awesomness.

http://www.tetongravity.com/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=29847
latest report
Cunners, fantastic, and nicely edited too Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Even slopes I know I can deal with well once I am on them cause me problems going over the lip, sometimes. The Grand Couloir at Les Deux Alpes and (when I did it a little while ago) the Tunnel at Alpe D'Huez spring to mind.

So, great fun though the pictures are, I did wonder if nybody had any really practical tips. For example, if you roll over the lip straight down the fall line, you could argue that you are already half way through a turn, and so could co into one straight away to carry on the turn profile - but you would have to do so with some momentum.

Not quite the same, but related: I find something like the entrance to the La Grave main slopes (by the top restaurant) can be rather daunting, when it's hard-packed, mogully and rutted. Once I have made the drop to the main traverse I am fine - and I don't have much of a problem turning down into the first slope.
snow conditions
Cunners, superb! Laughing
snow report
I still remember doing my only proper drop off (the good old crash vids hehehe) and I was sat there for about 5 minutes trying to get up the courage to commit. I am terrible for that and am a right wuss. When climbing I've often come across one committing move which has taken 10 mins or so to 'go for' and then 2 seconds to wonder what the hell all the fuss was about. I'll never be brave but at least it makes the memory so much more intense Toofy Grin
snow report
achilles, I alway try to roll over a lip at a slight angle so if I dont land the entry correctly I'm not facing straight down the fall line. It doesn't need to be more than a few degrees but sets you up nicely for that first turn and if not then it hopefuly stops you falling too far vertically down the slope.

Cunners, awesome!
snow conditions
Certainly not me, by the way, but some hero mag at TGR. Props, or whatever the word is these days.
ski holidays
I think each person does it differently, depending on personal strength and weakness.

I do it the achilles' way! wink But maybe (just maybe) not quite as much mental drama.

Part of the reason, since I'm usually not the bravest so never the first person in, I can see from those who went before me what condition I'll be encountering. My focus shift to a more technical analysis of "how" instead of "whether". So the mental drama is greatly reduced.

As far as what angle to drop in, snow condition dictates what angle I want to roll in. If it's a lot of heavy snow, I roll in with less angle to allow for easier turning downhill. But if it's hard pack or icy, I would roll in to a traverse! And use the whole width to round off my turn if neccessary...
snow report
1. Burrow through crowd of people strung out along the top of the slope telling each other how difficult it is.
2. Ski to bottom of run.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy