Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transporting Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Im off skiing in a couple of weeks, however im taking my boots for the first time.

How do people generally transport their boots to resort?

In a boot bag, and carry on as hand luggage?

In a boot bag, checked into the hold as well as your suitcase/bag?

Or packed into your suitcase/bag and checked into the hold?

Any help would be appreciated, I dont want problems when I get to the airport.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hdi_d turbo,
welcome to snowHead

Prepare for a certain amount of cynicism about your motives, but if we start with the assumption that this is a genuine question:

In a boot bag, and carry on as hand luggage? Some people do this, if their boots are very important to them (race boots, perhaps, or difficult feet). There is a risk you won't be allowed to do this by airline or airport.

In a boot bag, checked into the hold as well as your suitcase/bag? Pretty much everybody else does this, sometimes combining with skis to get best value out of airline charging policies.

Or packed into your suitcase/bag and checked into the hold? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me for the return trip. Although I suppose you could pack them in big plastic zip bags. Again charging policies may influence your choice.

I put them in the hold (plane) or boot (car), as available.

David
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hdi_d turbo, Depends who you fly with. I tried to bring mine with Ryanair from Eastmidlands in hand baggage. At security I was asked who you flying with? And was made check them in when I said Ryanair. Not all of the security guys were aware of it and one said it was news to him too. They did say other budget airlines had no problems. It is best to check with your airline. However I have heard of people being told they can carry them but on the return trip being told they cant at the airport.
Ryanair claim its incase they fall out and cause injury yet have no issue with duty free bottles! They make the rules up as the go along to force you to pay for hold luggage. Money grabing f*****s. I'll stop now before this becomes a rant Very Happy
On my last trip (with BMIbaby) I just packed them in the middle of my hold baggage surrounded by clothes and used a small back pack to carry more clothes as hand luggage. As usual I brought way more than I needed for a week. So only pack what you need and if you have laundry facilities at your accomodation use em.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I usually have them in a separate boot bag in the hold. However it appears this season I may have to cram them into my hold bag. I need to clarify with Thomsonfly if there are excess baggage charges as I'm not taking skis so haven't booked any extra carriage. Both my boot bag and hold bag together weigh less than 15kg, but the information on the ticket is not clear...

I'd never take them in hand luggage, too much carrying around for my liking...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hdi_d turbo, Let me google that for you.

Welcome to snowheads.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hdi_d turbo wrote:
Hi,

Im off skiing in a couple of weeks, however im taking my boots for the first time.

How do people generally transport their boots to resort?

In a boot bag, and carry on as hand luggage?

In a boot bag, checked into the hold as well as your suitcase/bag?

Or packed into your suitcase/bag and checked into the hold?

Any help would be appreciated, I dont want problems when I get to the airport.

Thanks!

I've always done the last of those. I have no idea why DJ thinks that migt not be a good idea (apart from the space they take up).

Some people prefer not to risk losing them, and will take them in hand luggage, but not all airlines/airports allow this - and of course you require both the airlnie and the airport to allow it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I used to travel by air with skis and boots I found that I could put everything I needed into the skibag and bootbag, and just take a small backpack on board with me. People take way too much.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hdi_d turbo, welcome to snowHead s
DJ's summary is excellent but you might be surprised at the amount of snowHead s pages that have been devoted to this topic rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick L, Not if (s)he's followed my link. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia wrote:
I usually have them in a separate boot bag in the hold. However it appears this season I may have to cram them into my hold bag. I need to clarify with Thomsonfly if there are excess baggage charges as I'm not taking skis so haven't booked any extra carriage. Both my boot bag and hold bag together weigh less than 15kg, but the information on the ticket is not clear...

I'd never take them in hand luggage, too much carrying around for my liking...

avoid the excess baggage and take as hand luggage. Thomson fly will let you . I did.
surely the weight is not too much for you to carry -you are going to be exerting yourself on the slopes so I am sure you can cope !! (if not get a small case liek i have got with wheels on it !)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Someone made reference some time ago to a combined Ski & Boot bag, however I've not found any looking online. Does anyone know where to find one?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andytb, The Dakine bags (do a Google for Dakine Fall Line) claim to take skis and boots - I was going to get one but ended up with a Snow'n'Rock double ski bag with wheels instead. It is bloody heavy with two sets of skis in so I have not tried it with boots as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andytb, I think it was Snokart that were being referred to http://www.snokart.com/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i just take a bigger case with the boots packed along with all the other clobber. tend to get a heavy label stuck on it, but never been charged any extra.

the main reason being its one less thing to carry about, but i also hate all them pretentious posers swanning round the airport with their own poncey ski and boot bags (im not labelling everyone who takes their own, but you know the sort i mean wink ) i prefer not be associated with them.
ski holidays
Stuntman Mike, a separate boot bag can be handy when it has drain holes and you have been skiing during the day before taking a late plane/train home. That said, I throw my boots in with the rest of my ear (other than skis) in a luggage holdall designed to take them - it's just so convenient. Wouldn't dream of taking them into a plane cabin - and I do need specially fitted boots.
latest report
I always just take a boot bag and check it into the hold at the same time as my suitcase. I've always kept the sum of the boot bag and the suitcase under the weight allowed and have never had a problem, they always check them in for free. Are some people saying they've been charged to check in a boot bag (not with ryanair, obviously we all know they're complete turds) on a ski package flight?
latest report
If flying with a TO then we check them in in the boot bag (we can fit both our boots into one bag). When flying with a Easyjet we paid for 2 hold bags, so took two large holdalls and put a pair of boots in each holdall.
snow report
hdi_d turbo, If flying with Ryanair, I put them in the middle of my suitcase and build my clothes around them. If flying with anyone other than Ryanair, I put them in their boot bag. I have never taken them on as hand luggage.
ski holidays
DrE, I've never been charged separately before but I noticed this year the ticket says 'only one piece of hold baggage' unless you have paid additional carriage for skis and boots. As I'm not taking skis, only boots, I've not paid for additional carriage...

Think I'm just going to cram the boots into my hold bag and take less other stuff. Last season the hold bag and boot bag together weighed well under 15kg so there shouldn't be a problem...
latest report
I have flown with both ryanair and easyjet and i have taken my boots on as hand luggage and its never been a prob.
snow report
I have a separate hand luggage bag which my boots would definitely not fit in. Nor could I fit the stuff from my hand luggage bag into my boot bag. Nor would I want to carry my boots around the airport for an hour and try to lift them into the plane overheard storage thing. Imagine if they fell out on someone's head!
latest report
alex_heney,
Quote:
I have no idea why DJ thinks that migt not be a good idea

Ah, I did leave a little clue Smile in the next sentence: "Although I suppose you could pack them in big plastic zip bags." But for the sake of completeness I was worried that they might not be as dry on the return journey as they were on the outward. I recognise that there are multiple possible solutions to this. Chacun à son goût, as Del Boy would say.

David
snow report
I've always just chucked them in a boot bag, inside my main bag. Means you just have two bags, luggage and a ski bag and no hand luggage. Simple as Very Happy
snow conditions
backhojo wrote:

avoid the excess baggage and take as hand luggage. Thomson fly will let you . I did.

Interesting because Firstchoice brochure (Thomson/TUI Group etc) clearly says that boots have to count towards your luggage allowance of 20kg which implies that they have to go in hold. Not sure if in separate bag tho' or packed in your one case?
ski holidays
queen bodecia, i'm going with Thomsonfly too so i better check this out! i'll be enraged if i need to pay to check in a boot bag, it's ridiculous. haven't got the ticket yet, though on the stuff i do have it says i get 20kg allowance and doesn't mention one bag only Puzzled .

only 3 weeks to go snowHead !
snow report
DJ wrote:
alex_heney,
Quote:
I have no idea why DJ thinks that migt not be a good idea

Ah, I did leave a little clue Smile in the next sentence: "Although I suppose you could pack them in big plastic zip bags." But for the sake of completeness I was worried that they might not be as dry on the return journey as they were on the outward. I recognise that there are multiple possible solutions to this. Chacun à son goût, as Del Boy would say.

David

I never even thought of that. But I always leave my boots on the warming racks in the hotel ski room, including the last night (unless we have an early departure), so it has never been an issue for me.

A week's worth of sweaty T shirts would be worse anyhow Embarassed
ski holidays
DrE, only two weeks for me. I might ring them tomorrow and check. My hold bag will be much heavier and more awkward to get in and out of car with ski boots in it as well...

Will post here if I get any news...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, excellent thanks. and only one more post to go until you reach the 1000 mark!

I had a look on their website and in their general stuff it seems to indicate you have a luggage allowance of 20kg without mentioning that this is limited to one bag, hopefully that's the case. and in the sports baggage bit it only mentions that you have to pay for skis, so that also seems to back up that we won't need to pay to check in the boots.

but as always with airlines/TO's they do whatever they damn well want at a moments notice, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed as always that i get them on ok!
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
I have a separate hand luggage bag which my boots would definitely not fit in. Nor could I fit the stuff from my hand luggage bag into my boot bag. Nor would I want to carry my boots around the airport for an hour and try to lift them into the plane overheard storage thing. Imagine if they fell out on someone's head!

but its OK to put loads of GLASS bottles in a carrier back that were bought in the airport in the overhead locker !!! Puzzled

so do you walk round the airport for an hour without sitting down ?

honestly - they are not that heavy. you are going to exert yourself loads on the slopes so I am sure you can lift a couple of ski boots Very Happy
latest report
Sling em in the bottom of one of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2860853/Trail/searchtext%3ELUGGAGE.htm
snow report
JasonW wrote:
I have flown with both ryanair and easyjet and i have taken my boots on as hand luggage and its never been a prob.

depends on the aiport security policies as well. sounds like you have been lucky !
snow conditions
DrE and anyone who's interested...

Spoke to Thomsonfly yesterday regarding carriage of ski boots. What I was told does seem different to what is printed on the ticket, but essentially it is fine to have two hold bags (i.e. a case and separate boot bag) as long as the total weight does not exceed 20kg. They do advise against taking boot bags as hand luggage (presumably due to having heavy items in overhead lockers) but it is not disallowed as long at the boot bag does not exceed the required dimensions. However, only one piece of hand luggage is allowed...

Ski carriage is £30 per return flight and includes only one set of skis or one snowboard in an appropriate bag in addition to the normal hold allowance of 20kg. Skis are not generally weighed and have to be pre-booked and checked in separately...

This sounds fine to me. Last year my boot bag and holdall combined only weighed 11.6kg. Although my boot bag would probably fit inside my holdall without too much drama I'd prefer to carry two lighter bags than one heavy one, especially with getting them in and out of the car...

Hope this clarifies the situation for everyone...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, excellent, thanks for sharing the info.

i can definitely manage to get everything packed and be well under the 20kg, so it's game on. Just need to pray for a nice dump of snow now snowHead !
snow report
Security at many airports here and abroad (for example Stanstead) do not allow ski boots in hand luggage.
latest report
backhojo wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

but its OK to put loads of GLASS bottles in a carrier back that were bought in the airport in the overhead locker !!! Puzzled

so do you walk round the airport for an hour without sitting down ?

honestly - they are not that heavy. you are going to exert yourself loads on the slopes so I am sure you can lift a couple of ski boots Very Happy

Sorry to answer previous question, yes I do walk around the airport for an hour. I'm going to be cramped into an airline seat before too long so important for me to be able to keep my legs moving as much as possible before that. And no I don't want to carry my boots around. They're heavy, bulky and awkward...

Nor do I exert myself much on the slopes, I'm old and fragile. I'll leave all that daredevil stuff to the likes of Chemmy Alcott... Very Happy
snow report
Boots fit nicely into my backpack which I wear when skiing (being an off-piste skier I need one just big enough for shovel and probe). But now that many airports don't allow it I've stopped taking them in hand luggage and put them in with my skis (for Ryanair 15kg suitcase limit) or in my new suitcase with wheels on.
ski holidays
hdi_d turbo, Basically what DJ said. I have done all thre, but carrying them on is risky as I have been turned back (at security) and had to buy a bag to chek them in with.

Separate boot bag in the hold is most common, but my roller bag has a 'waterproof' compartment at the bottom so when not limited to 15Kg and not taking skis they can go there.

WithRyanair being tight on luggage limits it pays to book ski carriag because then between your bootbag and (soft) ski bag you can offload a lot of kit from your check in bag and they don't seem to weigh the ski or boot bags (or snowboard bags for that matter). snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy