Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - My Experience

Poster: A snowHead
achilles wrote:
More than that (scroll down to Risk calculation and helmet standards).

Couldn't find what you were referring to, but this seems to detail two of the main standards.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles wrote:
Well, there's the rub. The only guy I can recall off hand who really clobbered his head in a race was Scott McCartney. Helmet didn't seem to do him much good - though we will never know the results had he not been wearing one, I suspect even racing helmets offer little protection at high speed.

In which case surely a thin-shelled, expanded polystyrene foamed helmet would be sufficient for anyone not travelling at DH race speeds (assuming they conform to CE-1077 and F-2040)?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, ouch Embarassed. I'll correct my post. The link should have been this one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:

Well, there's the rub. The only guy I can recall off hand who really clobbered his head in a race was Scott McCartney. Helmet didn't seem to do him much good - though we will never know the results had he not been wearing one, I suspect even racing helmets offer little protection at high speed.

In an high speed accident you'd take whatever protection you could. Like Daniel Albrecht for example. Maybe his helmet made just enough of a difference to save him? Maybe it didn't? Would you want to have that crash with or without a helmet?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uktrailmonster, I would not like that crash at all. Odd question.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think uktrailmonster's question is odd at all! If you choose to ski race of course you will crash, though obv you don't want to! With a tough helmet has got to be better than without, even if it doesn't prevent the most serious of injuries.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, if you have seen me ski in a race, you would realise that the concept of me skiing in a FIS race is bizarre. So I don't choose to (FIS) race - so it is an odd question. I don't know if a 'tough' helmet would give a racer better protection at the speeds being raced than no helmet. The FIS seems to think so - though I don't know the basis of its risk assessment. Maybe the purpose is to prevent cuts when being clobbered by gates, netting poles and so forth. Maybe it just forms a nice consistent surface for advertising. I don't know (or care much). As I have absolutely no intention of FIS racing, I am happy to leave it at that.

Crikey. 4 pages of yet another helmet thread. rolling eyes Don't think me rude folks, but I think this is getting a little sad - I'm outta here. Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, we weren't talking about you we were talking about ski racers??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If people hit helmets on chair bars more than heads, it seems plausible that when they fall they're also more likely to bash their helmet than they would an unprotected head. Of course, the majority of such blows may be glancing or otherwise barely significant.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman,
Quote:

If people hit helmets on chair bars more than heads, it seems plausible that when they fall they're also more likely to bash their helmet than they would an unprotected head.

err???

I wouldn't agree with that - people hit their heads on chairlifts more with a helmet cos the helmet makes the head bigger / higher and so closer to the bar when it's coming down. If you crash in such a way that you hit your head you will hit it regardless of if you have a helmet or not, surely?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, I can't see why you would think that would follow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, please can you explain your reasoning? If you fall flat out on the snow and your head is going to hit the ground, it will hit the ground with helmet or without. When you're on a chairlift you're sat upright, the only reason you hit your head more is cos it's higher than you're used to.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman wrote:
If people hit helmets on chair bars more than heads, it seems plausible that when they fall they're also more likely to bash their helmet than they would an unprotected head. Of course, the majority of such blows may be glancing or otherwise barely significant.

Is that supposed to be a good reason not to wear a helmet? Not that I particularly agree with this theory. A chair bar is a very simple controlled clearance issue, where an extra 10 mm clearance might make a difference sometimes. A crash is a fairly random event where I seriously doubt the extra size matters a toss.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, I think we have an instinctive knowledge of how big our unhelmeted heads are, and are instinctively pretty good at protecting them. The slightly greater size and the slightly greater inertia must make some difference - but it may be negligible. I don't seek any "good reason": I'm sure one is safer with a helmet, on balance, whatever one is doing; crossing a road, drinking in a bar, etc. I'm equally sure there are factors which make helmets not quite as protective as some people imagine. As I think you've said above somewhere, risk cannot be eliminated and it's all down to the sort of risk profile people are happy to run with. I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from wearing a helmet. But I have to admit to being as intolerant of proselytising helmet wearers as of Jehovah's Witnesses.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, Fair enough. I also have an intolerance to the minority who try to convince us that helmets are not only useless, but actually dangerous too.
latest report
Actually, helmets can be quite dangerous. Adopting a racing crouch whilst wearing horned 'Viking' styled helmets, or old style German ones with a big spike can dramatically increase injuries on crowded slopes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
and if a fat out of control 7 year old in a potty crouch hits you on the side of the knee, when you are minding your own business right at the very edge of the piste, that will be more dangerous if he is wearing a helmet.
latest report
And if the helmet is lined with explosive devices it could be fatal!
Thats it sorted then helmets are dangerous Confused
snow report
skidd1, Or if a tramp craps in your skid lid during the night... or if a colony of wasps builds a nest in it during the summer... Puzzled
ski holidays
My coxyx hurts less since buying impact shorts. I dont see how wearing a helmet cant offer impact protection too. It wont make you invincible but you can be sure that many small accidents have remaind as small accidents as a result of wearing helmets. These accidents are not going to be reported and used in assesing whether helmets are any good. When major accidents occur resulting in serious head injuries they are reported whether a helmet is worn or not therefore the conclusion is not wearing helmet = serious injury wearing helmet = serious injury. Statistically the benefit of wearing a helmet wont be highlighted as the cases where it did its job will not be recorded.
I was recently lucky enough to land head first off a bike onto a rock whilst wearing a helmet (I say lucky cause I was going to leave the house without it that day). I got away with been mildly concuseed even though the helmet cracked on impact. I'll not forget the sound of the helmet cracking but I bet it better than cracking skull. Skullie

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 19-02-09 22:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Scarpa, your mind is, indeed, a wonderful place. Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Scarpa, your mind is, indeed, a wonderful place. Laughing

You should ski with him, he's great value Smile
snow report
rob@rar, You mean people enjoy giggling at my tumbling antics Puzzled And there's me thinking I cut such an elegant figure Laughing
snow report
laundryman wrote:

People hit their heads (helmets or no helmets) on chairlifts because other users are inconsiderate fools or paranoidally timid. I wear a helmet but have never been on any chairlift where I'd not be perfectly comfortable without the bar down.

How's that for a cross -troll? wink
latest report
fatbob, Is that like cross dressing?
latest report
fatbob, oh gosh, i can't stand it when people try and raise the bar early! No way I could go up a whole chair with it up!
ski holidays
beanie1, that rules out some resorts in the States for you - e.g. Squaw Valley (at least, they didn't have bars when I was last there a few years ago).
ski holidays
beanie1, Just put your arm over the back...you will not tip out....
laundryman, that always made me laugh...in such a blame culture society Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, i know i won't fall out, but i'd be scared, not that keen on heights!!
ski holidays
Scarpa,

Slightly off subject but my brother managed that into the hood of his all in one when he was night fishing once, suffice to say it ruined his weekend Laughing .
ski holidays
beanie1, don't come to western USA, lots of chairs don't have safety bars ....
snow report
laundryman wrote:
beanie1, that rules out some resorts in the States for you - e.g. Squaw Valley (at least, they didn't have bars when I was last there a few years ago).

It would rule it out for me too.

The only time I have ever ridden a chair without a safety bar was when I didn't know how to use the one on the old chair coming up the Right hand side of the Planai in Schladming. That didn't have an overhead bar, but rather two "gates" that you twisted around from the ends, and I didn;t realis you had to lift it in order to free it to turn.

And I was so panic stricken that I couldn't think straight enough to work it out, and just hung on for grim death until I reached the top.

But even on later trips on that chair, when I knew how to work it, I was never quite comfortable with that type of restraint.
ski holidays
There are defined testing standards for helmets, and I guess expanded foam when supported with a polycarbonate lining works well at deceleration, but it does make a lid a tad bulky and pointy things easily penetrate.

So, guessing some interested in buying helmets aren't actually looking at and comparing composition or likely outcome, it seems its blind faith that a lid does the job then choose from an affordable price point. Mistake #1.

Lorenzo wrote:
... involved an allegation that someone suffered a severe, personality changing, brain injury by standing up suddenly and banging his head on a protruding crowbar....

Come on boarders, speak up, isnt that what happens to skiers on their first day? Just can't believe I got in first with that! wink

... Troll ... lolloll ... ... lollaah ... ... ... oih! you, get out of my hole, me back.
snow report
gortonator wrote:
beanie1, don't come to western USA, lots of chairs don't have safety bars ....

The mid-load on the Mt Baker canyon chair with the centrepole & a punter already on it is an interesting case study (+ add the "fun" exit ramp if you're on a board).
snow conditions
Steve.S wrote:
Scarpa,

Slightly off subject but my brother managed that into the hood of his all in one when he was night fishing once, suffice to say it ruined his weekend Laughing .

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Steve.S wrote:
Scarpa, Slightly off subject but my brother managed that into the hood of his all in one when he was night fishing once, suffice to say it ruined his weekend Laughing .

Now that is an impressive trick. Did he look like this ... snowHead

Tommy4681 wrote:
The problem is that there's no real way to test whether a helmet would have made a difference in any given accident ....

So, you'd stick your skull into a helmet testing device would you?

Tommy4681 wrote:
... it would seem the difference may have been a helmet ....

Aaah, there we have it. wood, tree's, fog... and daylight! Sure, most people don't crash on the slopes but if they do when wearing a hat and experience 'cranial impaction', the suggestion is that the worst of outcomes is reduced. So, is there a test equivilent for the impact between a head protected by a helmet and an unprotected skull? Nasty! But while I still dont wear one I very much appreciate the fluidity of the environment I ski in and can easily listen with glee as those nasty boarder types tumble down the sides.
snow report
I just don't get the arguments from those who argue against wearing a helmet on the basis that the helmet make skiing more dangerous. They're pure nonsense.

However, i don't wear a helmet when i ski or when i cycle. Just because i'm from the generation that can't help thinking that helmets are a for wimps.

That being said, i've hit my head far more time doing general DIY and much harder than i've ever done skiing.
latest report
lower wrote:

However, i don't wear a helmet when i ski or when i cycle. Just because i'm from the generation that can't help thinking that helmets are a for wimps.

Me too, but I don't let that put me off.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, you wimp!!! Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 22-02-09 20:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I had quite a bad fall last week, I hit my head and it was a little sore for a few days.

I'm now more convinced for the need for helmets and I'll be wearing my helmet all the time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy