Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing vs Snowboarding and riding with Skiiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
snowball, Hike in our comfy boots Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Faced with a long and uphill slog, and a choice between alpine skis/boots/bindings and walking in comfy boots with a snowboard under my arm, I know which I'd choose. I can skate on alpine skis, but the aerobic effort involved in doing up even a small incline for more than a couple of metres is beyond me. And anyway, can even the clever clogs skate in alpine gear on unpisted territory?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dlawless, ... ive slept on it and boarding looks like immense fun but why does it end up with so much sitting around in the pistes? I also still cant see why some (ok, probably approximately sixty-five+ over the week) had the desire to block the piste and, when asked why they are sitting around the reponse is abusive. If you hadnt noticed it naffed me off and I cant say the same about skiers because these are my experiences.

Kruisler, ... not clearly Dutch as couldnt determine the accent either way as I swiftly departed - maybe my wife can? Coincidentally, in support of the Dutch, one was particularly helpful during the week and went out of his way to assist someone in our group - he might even have been a boarder but I wouldnt hold it against him as he's proved he's certainly more human than most.

carled, ... I have to put up with being a motorcyclist and accepting that very many car drivers cant stand them, but know (ok, assume) its not at me personally.

Higs, ... nope, legs definately not chocolate - perhaps veal. Explain.

(Inflammatory?) Question: Does anyone board with a spine protector for purposeful protection while sitting on the piste? I suggest its essential.

Banzai, amigos...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 18-02-09 18:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gonwitdeewind, we could always sit the other way round on the pistes wink
ive had a group of skiers at the top of a black run doing what you describe but we simply moved round them and carried on going
the only thing that i dont like is the constant bumping of my board in lift queues

ive been out with skiers before and had no problems or concerns with them
if your out to have fun(isnt that what its about?)and not take a biased anti view there shouldnt be any problem
there will always be 1 in a group of people that is holding everyone back
i even help skiers retrieve their skis if im up slope of them
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm think I just woke up to this ...

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tuxpoo, ... looks tasty. Large spoon please! Or do I have to eat it off the floor again and lick your board clean?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nigel b, ... acknowledge similar experiences. Yes, I do recall two near misses with other skiers, but we were all moving enjoying the ambience of powdery environs but very aware of other piste users, unlike those that sit chatting and staring downhill, exposing their lower backs at ground level to rapidly moving metal edged skiis.

But the point is that when static, a sitting boarder occupies a profile 5 foot wide x 8 inches high with the board itself - Somewhat like a rail sleeper thats gonna cause some damage if hit. When multiple numbers sit across the piste I assume its not much fun for boarders either.

A static skier may have longer ski's, but are usually flat to the floor (or positioned in a cross for another purpose) somewhat like a painted white line that can be passed over easily - which isnt desirable but unlikely to bring anyone down or damage someones spine.

Can you detect a smattering of unselfish perspective here? This scenario requires thought.

Anyone here work for an insurance company and considers that boarders health risks are somewhat increased by sitting across the piste with their backs to the 'traffic'?

Go on, ... call me a troll, one more time... (with apologies to Will Smith)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gonwitdeewind, I understand what you mean about the actual obstacle caused by say, a few boarders sat side by side – they are an obstacle on narrow runs but then again, I've never seen this in the four weeks I've done abroad. You maybe see the odd one or two sat near to the edge of the piste and even fewer below the crest of a hill, but it's something that is so rare it's not a major concern.

If we're talking regular mountain pistes, which are about 60 metres wide (that's about 195ft in old money) then that would take (approximately) 39 boarders on their 5ft boards sat side-by-side to block, something that sounds and is ludicrous.

If you are going to assess obstacles, static or not, then take into accound the 20-strong ski school class that is snaking its way down the mountain behind an ESF instructor. I've seen that on the Pleney runs through the trees going into Morzine and it's a horrific sight, one that put the fear of God into a few beginners I bumped into a the bottom. But, it's something you accept and just deal with as part of sharing a mountain.

If you can't see a snowboarder (or anyone for that matter) who is static or slow-moving on the piste then you are either blind, looking the wrong way or you have your head up your own (or someone else's) ar$e. I suspect you fit into the latter.

I once got told that the majority of boarding incidents end up with sprains and twists, with the odd breakages of arms. With skiers it was more like broken legs and ankles over anything else because of the independant skis twisting all over the shop in an accident. I'd hazard a guess that the insurance peeps are too busy dealing with alll that stuff than working out whether a snowboarder was sat in the way of someone who could clearly not find the skill to move around them.

And many of you thought DavidGoldsmith was bad!!...unless this is DG under another name - full marks for effective trolling nonetheless, some of the best I've seen in recent years!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Higs wrote:
Comprendez, big fella?

You are saucy Mr Higs... but how well you know me though. Embarassed

Lets face it, it would have been reckless, irresponsible, dangerous, provoking - and more costly for the board owners - if I were to plough through a static hoard of boards on their edges - but I didnt and was sufficiently considerate and curteous enough to go round. So, why such sensitive responses on here?

Sorry, did I forget; must pamper & pander to the 'cool' sector... ... Bull;;;t!

I know you're at least peeking and haven't given up on me just yet. Toofy Grin

Specialman, ... you seem to almost get the point. This year's experience was up against groups usually of 6-8 boarders probably taking up an area fifteen feet wide x 8 inches high. A group of twenty might take up fifty foot of width x 8 inches high. Why? Neither did I mean to imply this was about blocking wide pistes - forest runs that aren't ever very wide away from where the chair lift stantions are positioned. And, its not about not seeing them, its about the senselessness of them taking up the piste with huge obstacles in the first place and the abuse in response to any approach. I even asked if one lot needed any help because it looked like two had crashed together and got a mouthful for that.

I dont however agree that ski school, or board school for that matter, snaking down a piste is worthy of a complaint. Yes there were plenty mid-section, especially early in the week when the visibility was down and the wind up. But, I havn't forgotten that this was once me and probably caused much grief in my early years. But I retain the fact that learners are about progress and they are so vital to the continuity of winter sport. They usually require scant observation and a little patience while testing the skills. Many times I concerned myself about not crashing into them and only once this year did that happen at very low speed. I took full responsibility as I was on upper slope and misjudged their turn so embarassed myself.

In not recalling this from previous years, perhaps its something peculiar to La Plagne 2009. But I reckon my point is still valid as it was repeatedly unnecessarily and senseless. (Im not humbled by the DGs comments, who ever she was.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy