Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowdome/fridge scene people: wax?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

There will probably still be a strip of wax down the centre of the skis but nothing near the edges.

Would that be the 'Brazilian' of ski waxing then??? Very Happy Very Happy wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From my sad point of view, this is a really interesting thread, a terrible conspiracy!!! I accept that there may not be pores but i really think wax is needed to smooth out and lubricate the base... any more info on this one?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are pores. Ya heard o' "structure" y'all?

That's why hot waxing and boxes work; the ickle holes open up a wee bit to let in a tad more wax.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc wrote:
There are pores. Ya heard o' "structure" y'all?

That's why hot waxing and boxes work; the ickle holes open up a wee bit to let in a tad more wax.

I was told that the bases are like a sponge and that hot waxing will opened up the pores so that the wax can soak in more. Equally, after waxing this is why you don't throw your planks out in the cold/snow as the pores contract too quickly (forcing out some of the wax you have worked hard to get in them)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To be honest, if you look at a pair of skis that need waxing then you'll see the structure - a kind of pattern of grooves cut into the base material. That's wot y'need to hold the wax in.

That's also why you scrape off the wax lying on the surface - you only want it to be in the structure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, then you brush the wax out of the structure? I thought you needed the structure to be clear in order to avoid hydrophilic suction (or whatever the term is).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, not sure about wanting wax in the structre, isnt that what the brushes do take it out of the structure? the way it was explained to me was that the structure is like the groooves on your tyres and allows the water to flow better under the ski and stop the ski from feeling sticky against the surface.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, I was trying to make it overly simple, rumbled Embarassed

There are pores other than the structure - but you can't see them. Ski bases are porous, being endowed at the factory press with microscopic holes. The aim is not to ski on a visible layer of wax, rather to ski on a wax-impregnated base. Surface wax does nothing except create friction, as you say, which is why you scrape it off.

Also, the pattern of structure can be varied to cope with conditions. Your skis need to ride on a film of water produced from the friction of your base and edges cutting through the snow. In cold, dry snow the structure should be fine and shaped to hold water a little longer under your ski since so little is available under these conditions. On cold crystalline snow, the ski base should be as smooth as possible so the points of friction are minimized. On amorphous, wet snow, a coarser structured ski base is better to minimize the points of friction. Pockets of air between the ski base and the snow means that water is repelled from the ski base reducing the breaking effect. In warm, wet snow the idea is to move the water away from the base and reduce suction.

Nowt to it really.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
Most racing is done on artificial snow so I can't see the need for something like Polar-X indoors over waxes designed for the typical temperature range found in a snowdome.
rob@rar wrote:
rjs, that's an interesting point. I know my bases dry out much quicker indoors than they do in resort. I was shocked at how grey and dry my skis were after three or four days skiing.

If junior is training indoors, or if we have a session at CFe (or more likely Hemel in future wink ), I will tend to use CH4 rather than Polar X which I'll scrape smooth (i.e. take out any 'ridges', but not take it off completely) and brush to put a bit of structure into it. The snow than takes care of the rest while we're skiing.

For his race skis, they need to be fast from the word go, so I'll use the same wax, but scrape it right back, structure with brush/pad then a layer of Zardoz. Seems to work.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to use Polar X indoors as it seemed to be the only one that'd stay on the ski for a two hour session!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Ski bases are porous, being endowed at the factory press with microscopic holes.

Quote:

Pores! What pores?
http://www.escnordic.org.uk/myths/pores.htm

Mosha Marc, you sure?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am no tribologist (I wish I knew more) so, instead, I use the power of t'internet and look for the work of others who have studied this field more closely.

For example, from the licentiate thesis of Leonid Kuzmin from the Lulea University of Technology in Sweden entitled Investigation of the most essential factors influencing ski glide, available here:
http://epubl.luth.se/1402-1757/2006/03/LTU-LIC-0603-SE.pdf

starting page 8 wrote:
Mantra number 1 - the ski base is porous, and we have to melt in glide waxes many times to impregnate the ski base.

<snip>

Conclusion 1 There are no pores in the ski base, or these pores are smaller than 1A (the approximate dimension of a water molecule). Hence, no penetration of the glide wax into the ski base is possible. After scraping and brushing, only very small amounts of glide wax cover the ski running surface as an adhesion film.

I am prepare to believe that the surface is covered in microscopic tears and scratches that look white and fluffy without a coating of wax. And that repeated waxing will do a better job of filling them in. After all, if we rub down some dark paintwork in order to key it the result is light and 'fluffy'. We don't believe that we have introduce pores into which the new paint can adhere. As Kuzmin points out, water molecules are much smaller than those of any component of glide wax. If the ski bases were porous to wax they'd be sopping with water too.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 24-09-09 20:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
Mosha Marc, you sure?

I was.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 26-09-09 12:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I dont know about wax, but the snow at Hemel today (day off!) was icy as b*ggery in places compared to normal. Either that or the hire skis need a good service - there was just no edge at all on those things. Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I asked my mate if there are pores in ski bases and got this response

"Yeah coz ultra high weight polyethylene is crystalline therefore has pores and is a good material to absorb wax lol now boobs ... "

He is doing a phd in ski base design, i have decided to trust him
ski holidays
fr0sty wrote:
...there was just no edge at all on those things. Sad

LOFT issue perhaps? wink
ski holidays
Quote:

He is doing a phd in ski base design

and i thought i was a ski geek Shocked
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
fr0sty wrote:
...there was just no edge at all on those things. Sad

LOFT issue perhaps? wink

Could just be me I suppose.

I'm still struggling to put my right leg fully over on edge with pressure; but that's to be to be expected.

(but I did get a few runs on their Head Xenon 10s - the dark coloured 163 ones - and the difference in grip was massive).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy