Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowdome/fridge scene people: wax?

Poster: A snowHead
For those of you that ski at MK, Chillfactore etc. what wax do you use and how often do you wax for training/free skiing? The snow is pretty weird and abrasive at these places I want to make sure I'm not excessive wear on the bases of my skis. I've heard of people using wax for -25 because its hard and protects the bases, does this help?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely worth using a harder wax, such as Polar X. Once a month.
Teflon (Zardoz Notwax) helps.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 10-02-09 22:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At MK I use mainly ice wax and teflon. However I occasionally add an over layer with a softer universal wax but always, after scraping, finish off with teflon.

I keep the teflon handy in case of high humidity and sticky snow. Also for when they've had a "dump" and snow tends to be a bit sticky.

I haven't skied recently at Castleford and never at Braehead or chillfactore. Snow making at the various sites may vary slightly so there may be other ideas out there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Incidentally: I give the skis a full going over once a week and top up with teflon as and when needed. (Usually every time I go out onto the snow.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys. Have ordered some Polar X and will stick some Zardoz Notwax over it and see how it goes. I really don't want to damage my SL12s.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Would anyone be able to help? I've just bought new skis, will I be ok to ski on them straight away at MK?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CSki, you might find a wax gets you from top to bottom in 10 seconds not 11..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Har har. As long as I'm not going to damage my beauties in the process!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
narc wrote:
I want to make sure I'm not excessive wear on the bases of my skis.

Puzzled

like driving a GTI at 2k revs and going round a corner at 20mph

might as well wrap them in bubble wrap

I say "ride em like you stole em"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I took my new Missions to MK just to get the manufacturing wax off them so I could get them waxed up properly for real snow. No problems apparent.

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
narc, if you use that PolarX stuff - scrape it whilr it's still hot.

It sets into a weird form of mild steel.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc, yeah i know what you mean... one thing i do is use greasepaper between the iron and wax to help smooth out the polarwax and i dont bother scraping afterwards just let the snow wear it off....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dude, it's all about the scrape, if you don't scrape the wax flakes off and is absolutely useless. It doesn't get into the pores properly and it pretty much negates waxing them. As a ski tech I'll always recommend using a warm wax at tam and cas but a cold wax at cfe. The snow conditions vary greatly, cfe has cold hard snow, tam and cas have floury sticky snow, protection of bases isn't even an issue, you don't get rocks or gravel on artificial. If your so worried about scratching up your skis, don't throw them down a hill with you attached, put them on a shelf and look at them...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The snow conditions vary greatly, cfe has cold hard snow, tam and cas have floury sticky snow, protection of bases isn't even an issue, you don't get rocks or gravel on artificial.

Bigpantsjayke, there is plenty of metal, mails and concrete around at all these slopes to do damage...beware Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is no metal, nails or concrete on an indoor artificial snow slope, at least there aren't at cfe, I'd lose my job if there were.
snow report
Bigpantsjayke, There is concrete at CFe, the nails and other bits of metal are at MK.
ski holidays
The only bits of metal I've found at MK has been the rails, which I generally avoid as I don't want to destroy my edges. Sometimes the dry-slope plastic matting shows through on the lift tracks, though.
ski holidays
snowball, Last summer the matting had worn away in places and there were screw heads sticking out from underneath. It may have been fixed by now, I avoided the race there last month.
snow report
Quote:

Dude, it's all about the scrape, if you don't scrape the wax flakes off and is absolutely useless.

Bigpantsjayke, Not convinced about that at all.
snow report
CSki wrote:
Would anyone be able to help? I've just bought new skis, will I be ok to ski on them straight away at MK?

Ooo, i don't know. Skis aren't really meant to be used for skiing... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

Dude, it's all about the scrape, if you don't scrape the wax flakes off and is absolutely useless.

CEM, what do you think?
snow report
I waxed my slalom skis recently (with PolarX) but didn't have enough time to scrape and brush them, so just left them as they were. Big mistake. They were horrid to ski on, and just didn't glide nicely. Did half a dozen runs hoping they would improve, but eventually gave up and switched to another pair of skis. I won't do that again.
ski holidays
Quote:

That's a really good point, does it really do nothing if you dont scrape it. I always used to wax my skis not scrape and let the first few runs of the day smooth them out while i get my feet back into things by which time the skis seemed to be running fine. Please could someone enlighten us, id also like to hear from Spyderjon, Obviously they wont ski well to start but will it damage the wax job to do it???
snow report
dulcamara, I refer the Hon. Gentleman to the answer I gave earlier Wink With a wax which is softer than Polar X I don't think leaving it unscraped is a big deal. But Polar X sets so that it's hard as concrete and even abrasive indoor snow seems to take ages to wear it off.
snow conditions
rob@rar, of course, i'm thinking more for mountain snow and when not using silly-hard melted plastic on your skis. It's always played on my mind that maybe skiing off the loose wax could rip the stuff out of the pores?
ski holidays
dulcamara, that's what I've read. Occasionally I don't bother scraping/brushing with all-temp wax and to be honest it doesn't seem to make much difference to me, either in glide or longevity of the wax unless the snow conditions are very abrasive (eg very cold, wet, manmade, etc). Having said that, how long does it take to scrape and brush? Just a few minutes per ski, so why not finish the job properly?
latest report
rob@rar, possibly you underestimate how lazy i am, even at FIS races i never used a brush! its wax, scrape, shuffle in the start gate, jobs a good'n
latest report
dulcamara wrote:
even at FIS races i never used a brush! i

Shocked Even just cruising around the pistes I notice the difference between a brushed and unbrushed ski, especially if the snow is a bit wet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Ahh, but when riding bullet proof ruts of ice the skis are usually running fine as I was generally wetting myself the whole way down!
snow conditions
dulcamara, ah, I see. A built in ski lubricant system. Very clever!
snow report
Bigpantsjayke wrote:
Dude, it's all about the scrape, if you don't scrape the wax flakes off and is absolutely useless. It doesn't get into the pores properly and it pretty much negates waxing them....

Pores! What pores?
http://www.escnordic.org.uk/myths/pores.htm

And waxing may not be all that it's buffed up to be:
http://www.miun.se/Mittuniversitetet-In-English/Research/Press-Releases/Shocking-news-from-researcher-ski-wax-slows-your-glide/
http://epubl.luth.se/1402-1757/2006/03/LTU-LIC-0603-SE.pdf
From which we find:
Quote:
Conclusion 2 The ski base material UHMWPE is many times more abrasion re
sistant than any ski glide waxes available today. Accordingly, the idea that glide wax
application protects the ski base from abrasion is clearly absurd.

Some background on UHMWPE - the material used for ski bases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHMWPE
Note the comments on abrasion resistance and coeficient of friction.
latest report
altis, so if wax is not absorbed into the base of a ski, how does your research fair to the fact that a wki runs faster with wax on it and faster still if the wax is applied then the ski is hot boxed to allow extra absorbsion Little Angel Little Angel
snow conditions
altis, I always believed that the wax produced a much more efficient transition of the snow into liquid form - hence the greater glide. I never considered the wax to protect the bases, (other than perhaps as a convenient side-effect). I do however believe that the fluorinated ski wax helps create a much more efficient water barrier, between the crystalised snow and the ski base, along which the ski will travel.

The different properties of some of the more cutting edge race wax R&D tests appear to be focused on this dual, solid-to-liquid and selectively hydro-phobic co-efficient.

(oh, and I suppose piling something that sets near like concrete - e.g. Polar X, would partially lengthen the life of your bases. I dont see how it couldn't if you strike something which deflects partially off the heavy wax, and not the ski base. It would depend upon the type of strike, and the angle etc.)

I've never been too set on backing up any argument with information from Wikipedia to be honest;

Quote:
Wikipedia - UHMWPE

Skis and snowboards

The bottom of most modern skis — the surface that contacts the snow — is coated with UHMWPE, treated for compatibility with waxes and with epoxy base material.

- why bother using something compatible with waxes if it's superior on it's own? it's a conspiracy! Holmenkol seek to take control of the World! Very Happy

Cheers!

/edit - anyone here use their own DIY wax?? I have a couple of recipes from days skiing in Germany, but wondered if anyone in the UK found it practical..?
snow report
Most racing is done on artificial snow so I can't see the need for something like Polar-X indoors over waxes designed for the typical temperature range found in a snowdome.
snow report
rjs, that's an interesting point. I know my bases dry out much quicker indoors than they do in resort. I was shocked at how grey and dry my skis were after three or four days skiing.
snow report
Quote:

anyone here use their own DIY wax?? I have a couple of recipes from days skiing in Germany, but wondered if anyone in the UK found it practical

AFAIK Polar X and 4matt are both, more or less, DIY waxes, but I don't know of any which are snow-oriented.
ski holidays
beequin, I'm fairly sure that Polar-X was designed to be used on snow, it is similar to CH4/LF4.
latest report
dulcamara,
Quote:
you underestimate how lazy i am

Treat yourself to a Rotobrush Toofy Grin
snow conditions
there may not be "pores" but hot boxing definately impregnates (if that is the right word) ski bases better than ironing and gives a longer time between waxes. My bases get dried out and grey quick indoors. if the wax isnt permiating the base why does the ptex or uhmwpe turn grey and fuzzy?
latest report
rob@rar, Most racers wax every day for outdoor skiing. There will probably still be a strip of wax down the centre of the skis but nothing near the edges.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy