Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss ski school turning technique - shoulder rotation

Poster: A snowHead
Well i am currently in Wengen and have not been taught to rotate the shoulders, this may be due to the fact that my lessons have been with the Privat ski school and the DHO adults course.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT, The OP of this thread!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, well..now it is out in the open, you can concentrate on getting rid of it....

It is all very well taking on instruction about this and that...but you have to know where you are trying to go...and reaslising that you don't want that shape or turn is a good start.

It amazes me how many people don't know how they need to stand in their boots/skis...so can't find that stance very easily at all, when it gets tougher...
Get the right picture in your head of your stance and refer to it as often as poss when skiing...

That is where Video is so good..as no-one likes the reality of the playback..Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, I don't know about getting rid of it, but I shall be probably be paranoid about doing it!!

We will be taking the video!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
riverman, for all I know, the DHO organises the teachers through the Skischool, BUT the chosen teachers are usually the BASI qualified brits working for ski school Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ronald, Back to lungostyle's rant!! Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was watching the women's GS from Val d'Isère and was appalled at the technique of all these ladies careering down a vicious looking course on steep icy slope. All those legs working away under steady upper bodies without that proper Wengen swing of the shoulders. You would think at that level of skiing they should know better. rolling eyes

Irony apart, one of the Austrian ladies did in fact rotate her shoulders on a couple of turns. Result? A vital second or two lost.

By the way, thinking of a different part of the anatomy, why must they put a camera at the back of the start hut? These young ladies are necessarily built on the solid side of sylphlike and some of the bums thus pictured are hugely unflattering to their owners. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ccl, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ccl, that very gripe has been expressed to me by our (I can't remember now whether it was the current or previous) top ranked lady racer Wink .
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think their bums look great. (I'd have said that a number of genepies to the worse or otherwise). Madeye-Smiley

Have I yet mentioned my thoughts of Julia Mancuso?

Even if she didn't look great (which she most certainly does), she's got a great name anyway...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just come back from flaine, after a heavy fall of about a foot of snow, the instructor told us to ski feet together arms outright and turn with your shoulders, and we all followed.
not very pretty, but it worked. BTW the instructor was a mature gentleman
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just when I had subverted the thread into a consideration of ladies' bums, here we are back to shoulders. Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ccl, Some of us are still considering the the ladies 'back bottoms' in question ... please excuse the shaky writing Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ymh wrote:
just come back from flaine, after a heavy fall of about a foot of snow, the instructor told us to ski feet together arms outright and turn with your shoulders, and we all followed.
not very pretty, but it worked.

Good grief! Who did he teach for. If I'm allowed a guess I'd say the ESF...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...Epaule de Ski Français?
ski holidays
laundryman, it sounds like it Wink
snow report
Regarding the apparently deliberately taught Wengen ski school method of initiating a turn by rotating the shoulders, doesn't this harken back to the 1930's and 1940's method Shocked of French champion Emile Allais, see The Story of Modern Skiing

Quote: "The uphill shoulder was held back, preparatory to Allais rotating it swiftly round in the direction of the turn"

A video clip of his ski school
here. Fascinating viewing! Toofy Grin

Obviously, Allais's method worked with the equipment of the time, however, the book "The Story of Modern Skiing" seems to say that it was superseded by the Austrian counter rotation approach from the 1950s onwards.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable Snowheads can comment!
snow report
laundryman, rob@rar, .. well at least it wasn't a Brit .. x5 for the same experience (with apologies to all Brit ski instructors ( both of them) who charge decent prices Toofy Grin
ski holidays
It's quite common for good skiers to initiate turns with their head. But rarely shoulders.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
It's quite common for good skiers to inititate turns with their head. But rarely shoulders.

But not by rotating their head! Just leading the inclination.
snow report
rob@rar, Why bother replying? We know Whitegold, is a 12 yo with a problem ( or more)! Can someone tell me why such an obviously ill-informed troll hasn't been banned?
ski holidays
Agenterre, Embarassed I thought he was being serious. If he was just trolling he stumbled on something true - I use 'leading with my head' as a mental trigger for some turns. Now I feel a complete dolt.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Sorry, I meant you no offense. I'm just getting a sense, again. of a few folks / (trolls) as being more interested in creating Snowhead Gold rather than actually contributing/helping. Whitegelded, usually turns up at these times. Again, apologies for the intervention, but it's wrecking my enjoyment! Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays
Agenterre, no offense taken, I just feel a bit of a fool for replying in earnest to a troll. I share your distaste for trollish behaviour.
snow report
When I was younger we took family ski holidays in Wengen. My mum used to swing her shoulders, and was constantly being told NOT to swing her shoulders by Wengen instructors?
snow report
ymh wrote:
not very pretty, but it worked. BTW the instructor was a mature gentleman

Ok, if we have to talk about shoulders instead of ladies' bums, I am having difficulty picturing this one. Feet closer together in deeper snow I'll go with, but what was meant by "arms outright"? Out to the side like aeoroplane wings, or what? As to turning with the shoulders, it seems to me you were lucky to get away with it in deeper snow since one outcome of swinging the shoulders is surely going to be that the hips are pushed towards downhill, thereby flattening your skis and thereby increasing the chances of the snow catching them and tipping you over.

I am definitely mature and possibly a gentleman
ski holidays
beanie1, yeah - well - the chief of the ski school told me that the new system was because of the new carving skis. Shocked (could it have been how not to notice them at all?)

ccl, Absolutely!

The point surely is that Emile Alais was a sort of genius and came up with something completely new, and his counterrotation/rotation allowed you to turn the skis parallel and together for the first time ever. However his system was eventually debunked around the late 60s IIRC, and we then started with a lot of angulation and pure counter rotation. New carving skis have made turning a great deal easier (and those that never learn't on straights really have no idea), but they are designed to be skied on their edges (to some degree). To develop a ski teaching method that deliberately negates this, would seem to be very odd. Also very bad value for the students, and creating an even larger number of out of control skiddy skiers - there are more than enough of them in the world! rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
lungostyle wrote:
BUT THEY TEACH TO ROTATE THE SHOULDER.....OR JUST WATCHING THEM LOOK LIKE???? CAUSE CAN BE ALSO A MISTAKE ......HERE THERE ARE A LOT OF INSTRUCTOR SKIING WRONG.......DIFFERENT IS IF THEY EXPLIN TO DO THAT........BUT IF IT IS JUST WHEN WE CARVE AT HIGH SPEED....IT IS ALMOST CORRECT......IT IS AN OPTICAL EFFECT......CAUSE AT TOP LEVEL FOR BE 50% ON BOTH LEGS WE NEED TO HAVE THE SHOULDER PERFECTLY IN LINE WITH THE DIRECTION OF THE SKIIS.........SO CAUSE THE SKI IS TURNING LOOK LIKE WE ANTICIPATE WITH THE SHOULDER........
BUT AT LOWER LEVEL THAT IS WRONG.......BECAUSE AT THAT LEVEL OR YOU OPEN SNOUPLOUGH OR THE SKI SLIDE WITH THE BACK.......BUT WHEN YOU RACE THAT HELP A BIT......OR BETTER THE SKI GO FAST....CAUSE THE WAIT IS PERFECTLY SHARED BETWIN THE TWO LEGS........

Beautifully explained. I have learned something.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I shan't wade through the thread - but the ski classes of children (I think being race trained) I saw in Wengen last week were not doing rotation lead turns IMV. The Chief Smiley Maker has a rock-solid skiing style, with no sign of over rotation that I can see. He was assessed as 'Black Prince' standard (just one level off as high as he could go) by a Swiss ski instructor. To sum up, over rotation does not seem to be being looked for.
snow report
achilles, But they were doing it in all the beginners (adults) we saw last year on the nursery slopes, and also in every class I saw being instructed on the Bumps. Ronald worked there and he said they did it. Shocked What they teach their own children and what they teach the unsuspecting public appear to be 2 different things - I agree I saw a class of clearly local club kids and they were not doing it. I think you should read the thread.
snow report
Hurtle, about your anti-counter lesson. If you were being taught carving it could be very appropriate. Too much counter at the end of a turn, leaving the body facing down the falline, can auto-generate a pivoted turn initiation. It's a position called "anticipation". Staying square throughout the turn helps eliminate the anticipated position, and therefor the pivot too. When learning to carve, low edge angle turns are the starting point. In low edge turns little counter is needed to maintain proper lateral balance, so square works fine. Later, as carving skills improve and edge angles grow, more counter is needed, and can be injected back into the mix then.

Getting rid of the pivot/push is one of the biggest challenges in teaching people to carve. In my teaching I eliminate the pivot when I'm teaching steering skills, before we ever get to carving, so it's much less of an issue, and carving often just spontaneously emerges in my students skiing before I even want it to.
ski holidays
FastMan, that makes total sense.
snow conditions
FastMan, Sense, but 2 things spring to mind: 1) it's better to teach beginners to use the ski and therefore not pivot & push to start with, and 2) the square you are talking about is nothing to do with the squareness of so many skiers - both arms out front and equal and the whole body swinging round the turn as one unit. You are talking at a more advanced level. Hurtle, has been skiing for many years, so it makes sense that she would be too much 'face the walley'.
ski holidays
Hurtle, any better....

COUNTER - Is a position in which the pelvis and upper body point toward the outside of the turn. Note that Counter is not a deliberate move, it happens as a result of the skier turning the skis under the body. The degree of counter is dependent on the situation the skier is in. For instance: high speed long radius turns require little or no counter to effectively carve the skis, yet skiing down a steep, narrow path the skier may end up with a large degree of counter to control their speed and line of descent.

COUNTER ROTATION - Is a turning technique in which the upper body is twisted one way while the skis are twisted the other. Overdoing counter rotation is generally not considered a good move and can result in pivoting and skidding of the skis.
ski holidays
skimottaret, I think you'd better ask someone more expert. It looked OK to me the first time round! Laughing
snow report
easiski wrote:
FastMan, Sense, but 2 things spring to mind: 1) it's better to teach beginners to use the ski and therefore not pivot & push to start with .

Absolutely, yet in real life it seldom happens that way. Few skiers grow up with clean transitions. 90+++ percent adopt a falline escaping pivot and make it their default turn starter. Luckily with proper coaching it's not hard to teach people how to steer with the legs, strip away the pivot, and learn to enjoy the top of the turn acceleration period that comes with non pivoted turns.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:

COUNTER - Is a position in which the pelvis and upper body point toward the outside of the turn. Note that Counter is not a deliberate move, it happens as a result of the skier turning the skis under the body. The degree of counter is dependent on the situation the skier is in. For instance: high speed long radius turns require little or no counter to effectively carve the skis, yet skiing down a steep, narrow path the skier may end up with a large degree of counter to control their speed and line of descent.

Not bad,,, BUT: the bolded bit is a good definition of "SKIING INTO COUNTER". Counter as a whole does not carry that limitation. In fact, it's often useful and advisable to create counter manually early in the turn, and not wait to "ski into it". Skiing into counter during arc to arc turns is a higher level turn technique that benefits from higher speeds.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy