Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women-specific skis, what's the deal...?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
FWIW I have yet to try a pair of women's skis that had any really decent performance. However my Zag Rouge's are targeted at smaller, lighter skiers (not women specific) and I've had plates put on them to stiffen them up a bit and also the bindings mounted 1cm further forward than the centre line. the difference is dramatic. OTOH my Fischer WC SCs are regular skis and I'm dead on centre with no problems. It seems to me that most women's skis are designed for people who want to ski gentle turns on gentle pistes and as soon as you put any pressure on them they cave. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, That's probably true. If you're a much stronger skier than average, then men's skis are more likely to be better suited. I just had a look at the ski stiffness chart Comprex linked to in an earlier thread and if you overlay the women's v men's equivalent models you can see there's a big difference. More advanced skis of the same type also tend to be stiffer too.

This one:-

http://www.friflyt.no/files/SFI_2008.pdf
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, next time I come to LDA, I'll give you my Volkls to try - would be interested to see if they change your opinion!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Found the website for ski hire place I'm going to and it doesn't look as though they have chicks skis in my size so I'll be sticking to the unisex variety. Sounds like the best bet judging by comments on this thread. Thanks everyone...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I looked at skihire in Oz-en-oisans they had Salomon X-wing tornados in best package(recommended on another thread) but in womans ski category they only had beginner and intermediate skis. I am 1.65m and 60 kgs and would have liked to try advanced allmountain womans skis , will still have a look when I get there, but for now booking mens skis.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, Try the Movement Black Rose on the next nice snowy day. Take which ever length you fancy trying. Not all womens skis are designed to disappoint.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny, I don't think any women's skis are designed to disappoint. They're just designed for the average woman in the same way that men's skis are designed for the average man. The Black Rose is designed for advanced/expert women, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise if they enjoy it Smile But a 6' 5" 18 stone expert woman might just prefer the men's version of that ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, I don't think any women's skis are designed to disappoint. They're just designed for the average woman in the same way that men's skis are designed for the average man. The Black Rose is designed for advanced/expert women, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise if they enjoy it Smile But a 6' 5" 18 stone expert woman might just prefer the men's version of that ski.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
6' 5" 18 stone expert woman!!!!

I said I was a big chick but that's taking the pee... Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster,
Quote:

6' 5" 18 stone expert woman!!!!

Have we met? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting piece from the Volkl newsletter about the design of skis for women.

Apologies to Dr Eichhorn, I have just copied and pasted his 'letter' to fellow winter sports fans from the newsletter:
Quote:
Men are from Mars, women from Venus, or so the book claims. One thing is certain: when it comes to skiing, there are big differences between the sexes. But please don't misunderstand me: I'm not talking about who can ski better, but rather how the female anatomy responds more sensitively to specific stresses. One example: One out of two skiing injuries to women involve the knee joint. For men that figure is 'only' one in four. My experience as a doctor has only confirmed this point for me [Ed. note: Dr. Eichhorn performs more than 600 cruciate ligament reconstructions each year, as well as 1200 arthroscopic operations on the knee joint.]

In light of this, the question arises: is it possible to build a ski that helps prevent knee injuries - without compromising in athletic performance? Yes we can! Together with the designers at Völkl and the ladies from the Attiva team, we used computer simulations and extensive on-snow testing to develop the BIO-LOGIC CONCEPT: three technologies that provide world-class skiing fun and athleticism yet which at the same time dampen peak stresses. The strain on the knee joint is noticeably reduced through a more balanced and even loading of the leg musculature.

Precisely how the BIO LOGIC technologies work and the effects they have on the body can be seen in the article about the new ATTIVA models included below. But I will say this much now: you should look forward to winter 2009/10.

The new Attiva range website included some interesting info on how and why the new skis for women have been designed how they have.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skisimon, that's a load of marketing blurb. Show me an independent review which reaches the same conclusion after extensive testing and I might just about consider taking it seriously.

Meanwhile, I will stick to my 'unisex' skis, thanks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"The stiffness profile of the ski has been carefully harmonized with the features of Bio-Logic Geometry and Stance to create an energy-saving yet athletically high performance ski. The new flex characterist. "

That's marketing speak for "we've made it a bit softer". Still a valid thing to do for a lighter skier though, despite the BS
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just food for thought people.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon, joking aside I believe there is some real science under the marketing talk. My wife really would not like my skis in the slightest. They'd be miles too stiff for her weight. If there were no women's skis she'd have to resort to a noodle soft beginner ski.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy