Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heli-skiing should be banned right now (sorry, BBC)

Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith wrote:

It's time to ban the activity under European law, and it would be great for skiers to 'own up' and initiate the campaign.

I'm thinking of writing to some Members of the European Parliament on this. Would anyone care to join me?

If you're going to go to the trouble, why don't you lobby for something more important? Or is the banning of heli-skiing the most important global issue for you right now? I'll bet the Euro Parliament will put this right at the top of their agenda.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bar shaker, yeah, quite. Plus Wandsworth let us put everything in the one plastic bag - tins, bottles, paper, the lot - and I am very dubious that it actually gets meaningfully sorted.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnnyh wrote:

Small differences do have an impact if enacted on a global scale. I think I'm done with this thread, now.

When every man and his dog goes heli-skiing every weekend, then you might have a good point. You've made your point that heli-skiing is a step too far for you personally. I doubt anyone here would have a problem with that. What people do have a problem with is your holier than thou attitude and presumptions about other people's lifestyles that you know feck all about.

Here's something for you to think about. If everyone chose to live exactly the same lifestyle as yours (or mine for that matter), the World would not be a better place for it. But I suspect you are far enough up your own anus to believe it would be.

Have a nice ski holiday and try not to feel too guilty about the waste of natural resources. Have fun in your 4x4 too and don't feel guilty about that little indulgence either.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops,

You said

Quote:

it is not heli trips in isolation that is the issue

but unfortunately that is what DG is saying and that is why we are all questioning him. He wants this one activity banned.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DG said

Quote:

It's time to ban the activity under European law, and it would be great for skiers to 'own up' and initiate the campaign.

I'm thinking of writing to some Members of the European Parliament on this. Would anyone care to join me?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HH, well it is a start (I seem to remember one small voice on a bus standing up against segregation in the US making a big diffrerence in the end) and maybe we, as responsible human beings, will take the lead across all aspects of our life, except of course hel-skiing because that is ok and we want to indulge ourselves. I agree with DG that it is such an uneceesary extravagance with respect to skiing that maybe banning it would not be such a bad thing really. It would not be missed and it would have some positives

Edit - threads drift and I have added an alternative slant to the debate, that heli skiing is just one activity and perhaps should be viewed as a generic activity along side such others that likewise seem to be a pointless way of going about our lives when there are alternative and less damaging ways of getting to the shops or getting up a mountain

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 4-02-09 12:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops wrote:
Vipa, but the point I was making is that heli sking is just one piece of an overall jigsaw, and I agree that one trip is just a drop in the ocean, but if you add the principle of a heli trip to all other such similar 'trips' such as driving to shops rather than a 5 minute walk as one example, then it may make a difference. It is the cumulative of the 'it is only one heli/shop/jetski etc’ trip that is the key and not each trip in isolation, especially when there are viable alternatives to reaching good powder, or getting to the shop, or enjoying water sports etc.

In other threads many have argued that the current credit crunch has been fuelled in part by consumers spending incrementally on their credit cards and the cumulative effect is to bring down the banking sector,; an individual purchase on a ski jacket did not do this in the same way an individual heli trip will not cause global warming (if it even exists), so it is not heli trips in isolation that is the issue, it is the sentiment that a heli-trips is acceptable, and for heli-trip read any other such non ski related extravagance whereby alternative means of enjoyment is available that does not involve an exaggerated impact on the environment or natural resources.

Can't argue with that Ray.... good logic.... Have you started packing your bags ready for Valdez next year? Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Vipa, I would love to try heli boarding and may do so one day, but i hope that when and if I get the chance that I will put my desire to one side and make my own little stance ....... but some how I doubt it wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helicopters are too slow. A Harrier Jump Jet would be a better option to get to the top of a mountain. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops wrote:
HH, well it is a start (I seem to remember one small voice on a bus standing up against segregation in the US making a big diffrerence in the end) and maybe we, as responsible human beings, will take the lead across all aspects of our life, except of course hel-skiing because that is ok and we want to indulge ourselves. I agree with DG that it is such an uneceesary extravagance with respect to skiing that maybe banning it would not be such a bad thing really. It would not be missed and it would have some positives

Firstly heli-skiing is not of any real concern to the general public. At most it's a local issue for local people to address. Not quite the same as an issue like ratial segregation! So let's not get too carried away.

Secondly, you seem to be presuming that "pro-heli skiers" (for want of a better phrase) do actually indulge in heli-skiing themselves. I don't as it happens and have no intention of heli-skiing. But I don't see that it's any of my business to go banning it either. Why don't you leave it to local communities to decide for themselves if heli-skiing is acceptable?

Let's presume for a moment you are a British holiday skier from Wigan. Having read this thread you decide heli-skiing is unnecessary and maybe it should be banned. What sort of a twunt are you going to look when you write a letter of complaint to the European Parliament?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster, I was simply making the point that one small act can turn in to some thing bigger - in reference to those that had cited heli-sking as having little impact on the environment etc., - the act of banning it may have other spin-offs and get us thinking about other issues. I have not presumed anything either with respect to who heli skis or who does not heli ski.

I would have thought a holiday skier from Wigan would look just fine writing such a letter of complaint Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops,

Quote:

I agree with DG that it is such an uneceesary extravagance with respect to skiing that maybe banning it would not be such a bad thing really. It would not be missed and it would have some positives

Quote:

Vipa, I would love to try heli boarding and may do so one day, but i hope that when and if I get the chance that I will put my desire to one side and make my own little stance ....... but some how I doubt it

Aha, so you just want the temptation taking from you!

You say Heli-skiing would not be missed, maybe not by you or DG or me (cause I wouldn't do it in a million years) but there are some on here that would miss it, even if it was just a once in a lifetime act.

My problem with DG and Jh's argument is that it's easy for them to pick on heli-skiing as damaging to the environment and to want it banned because it would have no negative impact on them but they would feel even more smug in their own little bubbles. Now then, ask them to give up their 4X4's and that's another issue. Very Hypocritical.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HH, I suppose in a way yes, but lets start with a small village in the alps, then put one poma lift in it, then build hotel, then put another poma in it, the build ten hotels, then put in two chair lifts in to what is now a resort .... and eventually we get to 'lets use helicoptors to get to places where the lifts will not take us' situation ...... and ok we can now fly there so lets build a little bit of accommaodation, lets put in a poma so we can get back up the hill, and lets put in a heli pad, and lets build a hotel, and lets put in another poma lift.......

where does it all end? maybe banning heli-trips to ski the powder is a good way of simply drawing a line under it all !

edit DG does not have a car - I hit him with that one myself on another issue
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HH wrote:

My problem with DG and Jh's argument is that it's easy for them to pick on heli-skiing as damaging to the environment and to want it banned because it would have no negative impact on them but they would feel even more smug in their own little bubbles. Now then, ask them to give up their 4X4's and that's another issue. Very Hypocritical.

What's a 4x4 bubble? Is that an off-road bubble car?

I don't have a 4x4 bubble or an 8x4 plasterboard. We are a 4 bike family.

What's HH short for - Harry Hill?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
where does it all end?

It's constrained by the total amount of real wealth in society and the competing returns offered by other uses of capital. I don't imagine that there will be huge, or perhaps any, growth in snow sports in the next few years.
ski holidays
rayscoops,
Quote:

heli sking is just one piece of an overall jigsaw, and I agree that one trip is just a drop in the ocean, but if you add the principle of a heli trip to all other such similar 'trips' such as driving to shops rather than a 5 minute walk as one example, then it may make a difference. It is the cumulative of the 'it is only one heli/shop/jetski etc’ trip that is the key and not each trip in isolation, especially when there are viable alternatives to reaching good powder, or getting to the shop, or enjoying water sports etc.

In other threads many have argued that the current credit crunch has been fuelled in part by consumers spending incrementally on their credit cards and the cumulative effect is to bring down the banking sector,; an individual purchase on a ski jacket did not do this in the same way an individual heli trip will not cause global warming (if it even exists), so it is not heli trips in isolation that is the issue, it is the sentiment that a heli-trips is acceptable, and for heli-trip read any other such non ski related extravagance whereby alternative means of enjoyment is available that does not involve an exaggerated impact on the environment or natural resources.
Good points, well argued. And at least you're not saying you're some kind of eco-saint yourself. Hats off.
latest report
Quote:

edit DG does not have a car - I hit him with that one myself on another issue

No but I believe Jh does have a 4X4?

David Goldsmith,

Welcome back, been very quiet haven't you anyone would think your argument had run out of steam.

Harry Hill...could be. Don't tell me you leave your eco friendly computer long enough to watch your eco friendly telly.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
I have not presumed anything either with respect to who heli skis or who does not heli ski.

rayscoops wrote:

except of course hel-skiing because that is ok and we want to indulge ourselves

So was this just for a bit of effect then? There are plenty of people who do not ever intend to go heli-skiing who don't wish to ban it. Probably 99.9999999999% of the human race. It seems to me a ridiculous thing to be campaigning against unless it affects your local community. I realise you're just commenting on a ski forum, but DG is talking about writing a letter to the European Parliament. What a tool!
snow report
What I do not understand is how a 4x4 is now taken up as the problem. When was the last time you checked a 2.2l SUV CO2 emission levels and compared them with a 2.2l saloon or any other type of a car. A modern SUV is more environmentally friendly than almost any car that is 10-12 years old, irrespective of the size. The same environmental drive is improving airplanes and helicopters too, but more slowly as aviation generally is a small part of the global CO2 emission and it has more of a token impact.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, DG is no doubt barking mad Laughing
laundryman, 100 years ago who would have thought that 'the total amount of real wealth in society and the competing returns offered by other uses of capital' would allow for all the cable cars and 5 mile tunnels through the mountains to satisfy the demand for skiing higher and more remote places, and who knows what might happen in the next 50 years?
snow conditions
rayscoops, the answer to both your questions is "nobody".

The long term future (at any point) is so uncertain that it's pointless worrying about it.

However, constraints, such as the one I mentioned, will always apply to any activity.
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
uktrailmonster, I was simply making the point that one small act can turn in to some thing bigger

What would be next on your list of things to curtail or ban altogether?
latest report
chris wrote:
Helicopters are too slow. A Harrier Jump Jet would be a better option to get to the top of a mountain. Toofy Grin

Great idea but have you ever seen one do a vertical landing and take off?

It would blow all the snow away!

Sad
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Last night, viewers of the new BBC snowshow High Altitude were treated to more 'high attitude' from its presenters - Graham Bell and Ed Leigh - to nipping up high peaks in choppers in order to ski down them. They didn't actually argue the case for this decadent concept in ski lifts - they just did it for a bit of sexy TV. Zermatt and The Remarkables (New Zealand) were the chosen locations, presumably because there were handy chopper pads nearby.

High Altitude - a pale imitation of Top Gear and its own gratuitous gas-guzzling (at least Top Gear benefits from high wit and a trio of bright personalities) - seems to think that air pollution ain't an issue, despite the overwhelming evidence that it is destroying our sport, melting our glaciers and threatening the lives of millions across the globe. Oh no - we should just carry on glorifying the most expensive 'aspiration' for gold-card skiers.

What a waste of air time, money and talent.

These dinosaurs should be sacked and replaced with ski presenters who actually convey some soul, personality and spirit about what skiing is, where it came from, and what its future might promise. There's nothing unchallenging about skinning up a 4000m peak.

There's nothing boring about skiing that doesn't involve helicopters.

Sorry I just had to read this little rant again. Yes 9 pages later it still reads like a Mary Whitehouse complaint. Well I thought HA was a great show this week, well done the BBC. Who cares what DG thought of it?
snow conditions
rob@rar, school ski trips wink

When the Wright brothers took that first flight who would have thought that commercial flights would be going to every part of the globe, or that there would be American towns that have been developed to cater for small planes as if they were cars with hangers rather than garages, so maybe the banning of heli skiing will stop the potential to commercially develop areas only accessible by helicoptors? the point I have made is that we have already taken ski resorts to the extreme and it has still not satisfied our desires to ski futher and higher, and now we seem to want to jump on helicoptors to go even further and I just feel it is a good time to place a restriction on it before it might get out of control.

As to banning other activities? I have not thought about it in too much detail, but I was told of heli-scuba diving whereby you could book a helicoptor from Manila and take it Puerta Gallera and jump out of it in your you scuba gear, have a dive, and take the chopper back I presume to Manila.

Also I did have the pleasure of staying at Sipadan (Borneo) to go scuba diving but I now believe the accommodation on that island has been banned and you can only access it as a day trip, which is a good thing. Not really a good example but it does provide a comparison whereby remote and quick access (by way of huge out-board motor speed boats) to some where has become out of control and resulted in the further development of an area that perhaps is best accessed by more traditional means.

I suppose anything where by we are taking a sport or recreation to what is a rediculous level for our own enjoyment, and heli-sking or heli-scuba diving or heli mountainering are good examples

I would ban or limit jet skis though wink
latest report
richjp wrote:
chris wrote:

Great idea but have you ever seen one do a vertical landing and take off?

It would blow all the snow away!

Sad

Too right, as those who remember the Harrier in the St Pancras coal yard during the 1969 trans Atlantic air race will know.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,

You are a hypocrite - of the first order. Why?

Presumably you have an interest in skiing. Presumably you actually GO skiing. And yet you have no stated issue with the thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of powerful motors driving ski lifts throughout the world. A rough order of magnitude calculation (by me) suggests power station outputs of about a Gigawatt are required to drive the ski lift system throughout the world. You don't appear to have raised this as an issue re. global warming. Why?

So two choppers filming pale in comparison.

Of course your post might just be a stupid wind-up for others on this Forum. Well, it that case, it worked. You need to get out more often into the real world and show some humility.
latest report
Craghopper wrote:
David Goldsmith, ....................... Presumably you actually GO skiing............

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
I just feel it is a good time to place a restriction on it before it might get out of control.

Fair enough as a personal view, but I doubt that's a strong enough argument for the banning or restricting of heli-skiing. What right do you think you have to place such restrictions? Do you live in an area affected by heli-skiing? Does heli-skiing have any negative impact on your life? Is it honestly any of your business? I'm not saying you can't have a view on this, I'm just questioning your right to demand restricting the sport.
snow report
And of course there's the local economy of an area to consider if you ban heli-trips. How many jobs are lost? How much revenue for that area is lost immediately and in the long run? How is this offset against the amount of environment you save as a result?

I can't image that banning several heli operations will counteract what's happening elsewhere in the world with the ever-expanding industrial areas that are exploding in China, India and elsewhere in Asia. And then there's the US...

Mankind is so pompous to think that we deserve a place on this planet just because we are effectively the dominant species. The ice age doesn't give a flying Be Nice please! who or what is inhabiting the Earth – it will come and change the world irrespective of whether or not we want to preserve the earth for our kids.
snow conditions
Specialman wrote:
And of course there's the local economy of an area to consider if you ban heli-trips. How many jobs are lost? How much revenue for that area is lost immediately and in the long run? How is this offset against the amount of environment you save as a result?

I can't image that banning several heli operations will counteract what's happening elsewhere in the world with the ever-expanding industrial areas that are exploding in China, India and elsewhere in Asia. And then there's the US...

Mankind is so pompous to think that we deserve a place on this planet just because we are effectively the dominant species. The ice age doesn't give a flying who or what is inhabiting the Earth – it will come and change the world irrespective of whether or not we want to preserve the earth for our kids.
latest report
Thats great....can get back to heli-skiing..albeit on a small scale..and I'll off-set a few trips by using the car a bit less..DEAL..!!! Laughing
snow report
Craghopper wrote:
David Goldsmith,

Presumably you have an interest in skiing. Presumably you actually GO skiing. And yet you have no stated issue with the thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of powerful motors driving ski lifts throughout the world.

That's a bit unfair, the last time Mr Goldfish went skiing there weren't any lifts. And I know he does his bit for the environment as well, he's been running on hot air for sometime now.
ski holidays
Craghopper wrote:
David Goldsmith,

Presumably you have an interest in skiing. Presumably you actually GO skiing. And yet you have no stated issue with the thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of powerful motors driving ski lifts throughout the world. A rough order of magnitude calculation (by me) suggests power station outputs of about a Gigawatt are required to drive the ski lift system throughout the world. You don't appear to have raised this as an issue re. global warming. Why?

So two choppers filming pale in comparison.

Of course your post might just be a stupid wind-up for others on this Forum. Well, it that case, it worked. You need to get out more often into the real world and show some humility.

Believe it ot not, he has probably not been skiing at all for about five years now.
snow conditions
fatbob, did you miss your post off or are you using telepathy to tell us something Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
I would ban or limit jet skis though wink

So nothing which will have any significant impact on carbon emissions. Still seems to be tokenism to me...
ski holidays
Craghopper wrote:
stated issue with the thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of powerful motors driving ski lifts throughout the world. A rough order of magnitude calculation (by me) suggests power station outputs of about a Gigawatt are required to drive the ski lift system throughout the world.

I have, get rid of lifts too Very Happy

The lifts in St Anton are powered by Hydro which I thought was clean but maybe not so another reason to get back to skiing basics by hiking up & skiing down Very Happy

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7046
snow conditions
Specialman wrote:
fatbob, did you miss your post off or are you using telepathy to tell us something Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I did miss off endorsing your view but then thought sod it - seemed good enough to say twice. Current climate change = barely (if at all) statistically significant in geologic timescales. Weren't many helicopter flying baarstewards ruining it for the little baby dinosaurs back in the day either.
snow report
has someone stopped DG's medication wink wink Toofy Grin
snow report
stanton wrote:
Craghopper wrote:
stated issue with the thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of powerful motors driving ski lifts throughout the world. A rough order of magnitude calculation (by me) suggests power station outputs of about a Gigawatt are required to drive the ski lift system throughout the world.

I have, get rid of lifts too Very Happy

The lifts in St Anton are powered by Hydro which I thought was clean but maybe not so another reason to get back to skiing basics by hiking up & skiing down Very Happy

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7046

The greens hate hydro because it involves flooding whole valleys.

The one called Goldsmith, what's your view on hydro?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy