Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades

Poster: A snowHead
rayscoops, that's about right. Like all prejudice, based on ignorance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Well you'd better get used, its like any scenario in human history, the majority riddicule or worse the minority. But you do have to admit for a competant skier blades are pretty stupid

Well I never said I was a "competant skier"! It's just something for a bit of a change for a day in the week, I find them quite fun to be honest.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey dont knock it till you try it! Might make your ski holiday. CHANGE IS GOOD. GET OUT OF YOUR BORING ROUTINE!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tried 'em, they suck so hard they blow. Line Bullets were useable because, unlike the solly noumbers, they didn't oscillate like crazy as soon as they got above 7mph, but otherwise all were strictly whack.

That's right, so bad only late 90s street slang will do.

Knessil bigfoot rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
did you have a speedometer then?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, I got a fat bloke to jog alongside me. About the point he startred sweating a substance akin to cheez-whizz, they stopped being mererly lame and started being entirely dire. Approx 7mph.

I could be wrong though, they could easilly have become useless at 3mph.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ahem. A bad workman...? snowscreamer has been timed at 56.7 mph on blades—which didn't seem to be wobbling to me. It's all a question of balance. NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Exactly Laundrman, which obviously these other snowman cant do!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
awksquawk wrote:
Quote:
Well you'd better get used, its like any scenario in human history, the majority riddicule or worse the minority. But you do have to admit for a competant skier blades are pretty stupid

Well I never said I was a "competant skier"! It's just something for a bit of a change for a day in the week, I find them quite fun to be honest.

Here's the reason that good skiers have a pretty big contempt for blades. They mask competency pretty well, and allow people to do very stupid or dangerous things to a level they feel is safe. There's just no way blades can go at the same speeds or ski the same lines as proper skis - why do you think slalom racers use SL skis and big mountain skiers use low sidecut, long lengthed fat skis?

Even "no poles" is a pretty big performance hit - my buddy took a big fall down a ridge here yesterday and had to do a lap to retrieve his poles, doing the same route. It was interesting to see the results!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, 56.7 mph on blades? Respect to the death wish.

Perhaps that is my ignorance but I find that hard to believe (not saying your figure is wrong, perhaps the measurement?)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman wrote:
Ahem. A bad workman...? snowscreamer has been timed at 56.7 mph on blades—which didn't seem to be wobbling to me. It's all a question of balance. NehNeh

Not a bad cornering speed. Wax the ass of my trousers up and put me on the flying K and I reckon I could hit 50 without any other kit, though
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seeing as this has stirred up quite the hornets nest I'm willing to take up billo89's offer of a race.

I'm in the Grand Massif all season and as an intermediate skier i'd be happy to race billo using carvers, fats (102mm) or twin tips. I'm sure Marcellus would adjudicate.

Just one thing billo, can you refrain from using so many exclamation marks and capitals it's making my head hurt......
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
danjunk, WHITS YER PROBLEM?@??!!!?@!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

they didn't oscillate like crazy as soon as they got above 7mph, but otherwise all were strictly whack

blades "oscillate" only if the rider lacks the skill to get them on their edges. Generally, competent skiers who get on blades can stop them oscillating fairly swiftly - but only by getting them on edge, which is why many ski instructors use them to cure skiers bad habits of having weight back, and flopping around with flat skis, rather than getting them on edge. People can do daft and/or dangerous things on any form of plank. It's the numpties on the blades/skis/snowboards/toboggans which are the problem, not the hardware.

Some of the posts on this thread (and not just from the pro-bladers) are some of the most pathetic and infantile I've ever seen on snowheads. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I wanted to be turning the whole damn time I'd have taken up woodworking, or slalom.

In all honesty I remain convinced that this is all merely fairly poor trolling. If it isn't you should all be ashamed, especially the alleged snowbladers.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 29-01-09 16:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
pam w wrote:
Some of the posts on this thread (and not just from the pro-bladers) are some of the most pathetic and infantile I've ever seen on snowheads. Evil or Very Mad

To be fair, they're possibly made by actual infants. Laughing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Totally agree, back to the serious stuff about snow tyres ......z.z.z..z.z.z..z.....z.....z........z
latest report
pam w, it's not difficult to get blades on their edges, but you're not always on edges, are you?
snow report
Yep! I agree. Why dont you take a head ache tablet DanJunk! As your going to probably need one, As i like to express my self using exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
billo89, that is so radical and cool. We are all so impressed.
snow report
Maybe the offspring of billo89, and pam w, would be the middle ground between conservative mumsy disapproval and wailing wienerism. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
billo89, you need to get off blades, and get onto real skiboards, then i might start and think you have a point Very Happy
i would happily race you on my skiboards, with you on blades, infact you could even have a head start.
seriously though, if you like short planks, try some real skiboards, you will wonder why the hell you ever bothered with blades
snow report
graeme, are skiboards slightly longer than blades, but still not long enough for grown-ups? Twisted Evil
snow report
With size 12 feet, I don't bother with skis of any description and just slide around on my boots
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, dont worry about the length, you would grow into them wink
latest report
graeme, touche! Very Happy
snow report
hyweljenkins, knew you would like that one Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:
There's just no way blades can go at the same speeds or ski the same lines as proper skis

Your sort of right, you can go places on blades that skis could never fit ! Twisted Evil The more I see these topics and hear these debates (more from Alpine skiers than those here) the more I come to think that really it's not about blades, it's about their own inadequacies. Razz

What's with the fun police anyway, besides they are a useful teaching and learning tool. They can certainly help people with balance and getting the feel of carving. Going back onto full length skis you have to engage brain to turn or you go splat - it makes you work through what your doing in a way that can really help people advance. What is so wrong with that or merely the fun aspect?

About knees. NOOOOO blades are not easier on the knees absolutely the opposite, because of their short length you not only feel everything (no absorption) but the are inherently less stable than skis - thus while it might take less effort to turn, overall physically they are harder on your legs and esp your knees. The fact they can carve so tight adds to the forces.

Lack of poles can be very useful, esp when taking photos or lugging stuff up a hill and you can easily skate flats and slight inclines.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland wrote:
Quote:
There's just no way blades can go at the same speeds or ski the same lines as proper skis

Your sort of right, you can go places on blades that skis could never fit ! Twisted Evil The more I see these topics and hear these debates (more from Alpine skiers than those here) the more I come to think that really it's not about blades, it's about their own inadequacies. Razz

What's with the fun police anyway, besides they are a useful teaching and learning tool. They can certainly help people with balance and getting the feel of carving. Going back onto full length skis you have to engage brain to turn or you go splat - it makes you work through what your doing in a way that can really help people advance. What is so wrong with that or merely the fun aspect?

If you enjoy 'em, crack on - if you want to use them as a teaching or learning tool, fair enough. But trying to argue that they share the same performance capabilties of a proper ski is deluded or trolling. The thing I hate about them is that it's easy to delude yourself and be a danger to yourself and the public. If it helps, a lot of "regular" holiday skiers are also pretty lethal, it's just blades add that certain extra edge of overconfidence and underskilled rider to really cause some chaos. If anyone can come ski their skiboards/blades/whatever you want to call your snowlerblades with me here and keep up, I'll quite happily concede the point - but for now I'm confident that physics are on my side.
snow conditions
Quote:

About knees. NOOOOO blades are not easier on the knees absolutely the opposite, because of their short length you not only feel everything (no absorption) but the are inherently less stable than skis - thus while it might take less effort to turn, overall physically they are harder on your legs and esp your knees. The fact they can carve so tight adds to the forces.

Lack of poles can be very useful, esp when taking photos or lugging stuff up a hill and you can easily skate flats and slight inclines.

Right. I no longer use blades largely because my poor old knees are much more comfortable on longer skis. I used to ride them fairly regularly, just for a change, or because visitors had borrowed my skis. If I were to do so now I wouldn't countenance any without releasable bindings. We do have a couple of pairs of 120 skis, which I would agree are more suitable than blades for a range of users. And as for poles, it would do most beginner/intermediate skiers a whole heap of good to spend a week without poles.

Quote:
you're not always on edge, are you?

on blades, pretty well, yes you are, if you are competent - that's essentially the point, because you need to keep them from wobbling around.

What is it about blades which makes people who have never ridden the damn things, or have done so very little, be so sure that they know all about them? We don't find such a load of ill-informed rubbish about, say, telemark skis.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

What is it about blades which makes people who have never ridden the damn things, or have done so very little, be so sure that they know all about them? We don't find such a load of ill-informed rubbish about, say, telemark skis.

Same thing that makes a person defend them to death because they've managed to survive a black piste on them and never managed it with full length skis - shortened and massively flattened learning curve, with the expected performance drop-off due to it, and a bit of a novelty. I don't really take issue with people thinking they're suitable for pisted runs, since they more or less can cope with that. It's the slightly crazy claims they can do 100mph, rip a foot of pow or not kill the rider in variable snow I really enjoy.

For what it's worth, I've probably spent 10 days or so on them, and spend approx 120 days a year on snow... I have a basic idea of what I'm on about Wink
latest report
This thread is all about boys and their boring obsessions with a) speed and b) being 'better' than everyone else. rolling eyes
snow report
billo89 wrote:
Maybe not, But your all boring skiers who poodle down the red runs dont dare to venture out into the wilderness and get the real adrenalin rush! Try it, it might actually make your next ski holiday!!!!!!!!!

This HAS to be a wind up - surely? No really! It must be! REALLY???!!! NehNeh
snow report
demos wrote:
Blades are as acceptable as boards. That is to say, we all would prefer they were never invented.

FFS..... what an embarassing statement.
snow conditions
You could go round and round with this argument (in fact we are), if people like blades/skiboards wheres the harm? As I said before I think short skis definately have their uses and I've got no idea why they're viewed in such a negative way. The problems are caused by the user and there are plenty of technically useless, irresponsible, out of control, thoughtless piste users on all sorts of snow sliding equipment!
latest report
arv wrote:
laundryman, 56.7 mph on blades? Respect to the death wish.

Perhaps that is my ignorance but I find that hard to believe (not saying your figure is wrong, perhaps the measurement?)

I was timed at 56.4 mph with the same device on the same run (the last section of a World Cup run, with a safe run out) a few minutes later, on slalom skis. It was a GPS device which may be inaccurate (I certainly wouldn't trust the decimal point), but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the right ball park.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
.....hhmm.... so the flack blades get seem to be based on snobbery by skiers who have not tried them or consider them below their stature wink

Ha ha, quality quote Ray! I actually thought it was because they are ridiculous and generally ridden by idiots who think pirouetting in the middle of the piste is "hardcore" Very Happy

Is that harsh?? Toofy Grin
snow report
Robbof, hear, hear!
ski holidays
looks like ive caused quite a stir hear!
snow report
Quote:

We don't find such a load of ill-informed rubbish about, say, telemark skis.

becasue telemark skis require a hell of a lot of skill to ride and therefore most snowHead s respect telemarkers unlike blades and done well they look amazing which can hardly be said for blades.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy