Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...and the AA are certain as well. Toofy Grin
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html
(1) - Winter tyres are compulsory from 1 November to 15 April and if roads have a covering of snow, slush or ice outside these dates.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps our different attitudes to the question of winter tyres is related to where we live. I think of my experience around the Kitzbühel Alps; I have already driven to the slopes on 18 days this winter and I can only think of one day when the "wintry conditions" regulation would have applied. Maybe it is that much snowier around Radstadt.

I did ask warrell who has just returned from his The Last Resort trip around the ski areas of Europe about his experience. Though that is hardly representative, he did say "i didnt have winter tyres but the front ones were newish and their size, width and compound made them a fair bet. I bought chains in worzburg and used them to cross the two passess out of cortina". He seems to have survived his visit to Austria (Zell am See and Kitzbühel). It is true, though, that he had a flexible schedule and could have afforded to leave his car standing for a day or two if the conditions had turned nasty. That obviously doesn't apply to everybody. So factors like that have to be taken into account when making a decision on what equipment is necessary/advisable.

But, as you say, we have discussed this enough. Anyone who reads this thread can come to their own conclusions as to what is best for them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
espri wrote:
But, as you say, we have discussed this enough. Anyone who reads this thread can come to their own conclusions as to what is best for them.

....... and what's best for other road users. There's an Austrian father who has been put in an artificial coma because of his injuries. If he pulls through and wakes up someone has to tell him his three children (5, 8 and 10) died in the crash. His wife also recieved serious injuries in the crash. It was a head on collision caused by another car coming over to his side of the road, ice/snow is thought to the reason at this point in time.

Article in german but the pics tell most of the story.

http://ooe.orf.at/stories/339380/

Understand that money is tight but somethings can't be replaced. The roads are dangerous enough with winter tyres, please consider winter tyres for your and other peoples safety.

This is not an isolated incident, numerous other winter driving related deaths have also occured in Austria this winter - the toll for Jan alone is ca 8 dead.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
just to resurrect this, I am considering driving from the UK to Austria in April 2010. Am I correct in thinking I need to buy and fit a set of winter tyres to make this journey legally?

The AA thread says

Quote:
Winter tyres are compulsory for residents from 1 November to 15 April and if roads have a covering of snow, slush or ice outside these dates.

So I am assuming not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you driving over before or after 15 April? Are you going to be driving the car at high altitude (e.g. to Obertauern).

As I understand it non-residents don't have to have winter tyres but in certain winter conditions where chains can't be used (e.g. slushy roads whereby the chains would damage the road beneath) the police have the power to stop vehicles without winter tyres. It's unlikely in April that such winter conditions would occur but anything can happen with the weather.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
Are you driving over before or after 15 April? Are you going to be driving the car at high altitude (e.g. to Obertauern).

As I understand it non-residents don't have to have winter tyres but in certain winter conditions where chains can't be used (e.g. slushy roads whereby the chains would damage the road beneath) the police have the power to stop vehicles without winter tyres. It's unlikely in April that such winter conditions would occur but anything can happen with the weather.

Both Wink 10th April for a week
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, It is law.
The police do not 'police' the law as it would really impact on tourism (hence the horrific crash depicted above).
A road with a blue snow-chain sign means you must be carrying snow chains to progress (but you do not need to fit them unless needed).
You also need a high-vis vest and a warning triangle.

The road to Obertauern is a snow-chain sign road so you must have some. Lots of snow falls in April! We had an awsome powdery time last season so you should expect and be prepared for fresh snow.

All roads up to and including route 99 (the road form the A10 autobahn to Obertauern) are main roads and should be cleared but if it is snowing along the route and you are on summers very bad things can happen.
The autobahn from Salzburg to exit 63 (for Radstadt/Obertauern) is a nightmare when it is snowing.. low visibility, roadworks and no street lights - then you have to add the driving difficulties from incorrect tyres.

Can you really promise yourself that you would pull-over and sit out the snow... it was snowing for days last season!

In the long-run it is your decision... you probably won't get fined for Summer tyres (very, very unlikely) but it is your own safety and the safety of every other road user that can be affected by your decision.

Personally I would never, ever drive from Radstadt to Obertauern on route 99 with summer treads - the cliffs and drop offs scare me!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flangesax, thanks, I'd probably drive to Stuben, but am now re-considering driving and just stumping up the flight costs!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski,

It's not uncommon for Lech, Zurs and Stuben to get cut off through high snowfall although it is highly unlikely in April. There are all-season tyres that now have the snowflake symbol. It may not pay off to change the tyres just for one ski trip but could be worth considering when your current tyres are up for replacement. These all season tyres will also perform better in the UK's wet winter conditions.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And don't forget your helmet - and don't have it fitted for listening to your iPod.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax wrote:
I'm not sure if I can make this any clearer.... but I will try....

YOU MUST HAVE WINTER TYRES IN AUSTRIA IN THE WINTER......NO MATTER WHAT THE CONDITIONS OR TEMPERATURE.....YOU MUST HAVE WINTER TRYES (ALTHOUGH MUD AND SNOW ARE ALSO ACCEPTED)

and....

YOU DO NOT NEED TO CARRY SNOW CHAINS BY LAW IN AUSTRIA UNLESS A SNOW CHAIN IS DEPICTED BY A BLUE SIGN.... YOU DO NOT NEED TO FIT THEM BUT MAY NEED THEM

ahhh.... thats better...!!

don't know I might be confused but are you saying that you need to have snow tyres Twisted Evil Puzzled tee hee

sorry couldn't resist
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax wrote:

YOU MUST HAVE WINTER TYRES IN AUSTRIA IN THE WINTER......NO MATTER WHAT THE CONDITIONS OR TEMPERATURE.....YOU MUST HAVE WINTER TRYES (ALTHOUGH MUD AND SNOW ARE ALSO ACCEPTED)

and....

YOU DO NOT NEED TO CARRY SNOW CHAINS BY LAW IN AUSTRIA UNLESS A SNOW CHAIN IS DEPICTED BY A BLUE SIGN.... YOU DO NOT NEED TO FIT THEM BUT MAY NEED THEM

don't know I might be confused but are you saying that you need to have snow tyres Twisted Evil Puzzled tee hee

sorry couldn't resist
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax wrote:

and....

sorry couldn't resist
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
The signs show all the time - they don't go round removing them all when the snow's been cleared and bringing them back next time it's snowy.

I can't comment on the signs round your way but all the ones here (there is one just at the end of the road) are hinged in the middle and are opened and closed as the conditions require. I've never seen the police checking on our little roads... only on the roads up to big ski resorts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy