Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark......... Why?????

Poster: A snowHead
Rocksteadee, is that ... err ... no ... then Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Can telemarkers

ski backwards ?
ski any park tricks, jumps ?
ski drop-ins (even little ones) ?

Yes to all the above but only if good enough
Are you????
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

what's the attraction??

A bit like the old ad for Harley Davidson motorcycles...'If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer'...

Technically (in almost every way) inferior to alpine... but, more fun, softer of the body, and much much more satisfying snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rocksteadee, nope Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I propose that the boarding equivilant of telemark is riding about with your back foot out of your binding...hmm, think i just dislocated my own hip just thinking about it. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/7qkMn3jPa2E
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/QM00MqRhP2s&NR=1
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

instant fannymagnetisation

well, we girls do love a man who goes down on bended knee...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w,
Quote:

well, we girls do love a man who goes down on bended knee...

And up, change knees, and down and up change knees and down and up....................
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

http://youtube.com/v/vYKhcnKJylE
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/2kF_ZdN5GJw
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, There used to be a mono teleboard.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 24-02-10 15:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/4Pt1-jFTJnM&feature=related
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, I have seen some great vid clips of guys doing all sorts of tricks on a board with only one foot in Shocked

Rocksteadee, awesome Very Happy serioulsy awesome

So I suppose alpine is for those who are not good enough for telemarking Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/r_n78jfaxV8&feature=related
snow report
rayscoops,
snow report
rayscoops,
Quote:

So I suppose alpine is for those who are not good enough for telemarking

Spot on
Convinced you enough to try it yet???????????
ski holidays
Have also seen some vids of a guy do tricks on Tele skiis which cannot be done on fixed heel, one of which was carving with hands about a foot from his face with both hands on the snow

Bug gered if I can find them on utube
snow report
Just NO pinhead, the last thing SH needs now is another piece of niche kit claiming to the the ultimate zenith of decending a snow-covered slope.

rayscoops, have seen similar including a rather interesting half-pipe run, but i can guarantee it wasn't me doing it, my skating abilities start and end at getting on and off lifts
latest report
Rocksteadee, as a boarder I see my route to skiing as .... skiboard - alpine - telemark .... so maybe I should miss out to two 'wannabe' steps and go straight for telemarking Very Happy wink

Is that possible or would I need alpine first ?
latest report
rayscoops, last year I saw a chap telemarking backwards at speed, and it was the coolest thing I've seen for ages. He then promptly stacked it directly under our lift, but got up, bowed the applauding audience, and was still the coolest thing on the hill.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Can telemarkers

ski backwards ?

http://freeheellife.com/

I think that's a resounding 'yes'.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Can telemarkers

ski backwards ?

I'm afraid the answer to all of those is yes. Have you seen the film series Total Telemark ?
snow report
because they want to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jesus cant everyone think every form of getting down the piste is cool ? heck i think i want to try every form of getting down the piste known to man .....even been on a 2 man sledge over 2 jumps and got some air now thanks to the bf! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Telemarking in deep pow is without a doubt the coolest thing known to man.
snow conditions
harriet, nice egalitarian ideal, but no. In all walks of life some things are inherently cooler than others, and a persons view on what constitutes cool is part of life's rich tapestry. What is, I think, beyond doubt, is that an alpine or tele skier swooping down a piste at speed, in control and with good technique is waaaaay cooler than a bladder rattling down a hill in the classic gibbon stance. They may be having just as much fun, but that's not the point when discussing cool.
latest report
davidof, no, but the few vids posted above make it look like the king of skiing Very Happy awesome
latest report
check out the powderwhore vids too
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
Can telemarkers

ski backwards ?

Yes no problems NehNeh
snow report
You get a chance to wear very nice sweaters instead of technical skiwear crap with logos all over the garments.

You get a nice pole like a tightrope walker, which is cool and could be used to hit people you do not like accidentally on purpose.

All the genuflecting is good for your soul.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Just NO pinhead, the last thing SH needs now is another piece of niche kit claiming to the the ultimate zenith of decending a snow-covered slope.

It was quite popular 10 years ago tele stance, single ski, still stuck in the gravity holes like a snowboarder, probably why you don't see it anymore. Laughing

Seriously there are some amazing things besides just skiing down going on in tele nowadays. I personally enjoy the Tele Classic races except for when I land face first off the jump makes the skate section harder.

Latchico, it's a Lurk great for skiing with when you only want to go straight down. Not sure i'd want one between my legs though.
latest report
rayscoops,
Quote:

as a boarder I see my route to skiing as .... skiboard - alpine - telemark .... so maybe I should miss out to two 'wannabe' steps and go straight for telemarking

Go for it, it will make learning to ski telemark easier cos you won't learn how to ski wrong first (alpine) and then unlearn to learn to ski properly (Tele)

Latchico,
Quote:

You get a nice pole like a tightrope walker, which is cool and could be used to hit people you do not like accidentally on purpose.

And very useful to stop lift queue pusher inners from getting past. Have actually done this and highly ammusing when they are looking to see where a 6ft sharpened pist pole jammed in the snow between their legs is coming from. They can't seem to comprehend that you are standing 4 poeple away

pinhead,
Quote:

it's a Lurk great for skiing with when you only want to go straight down. Not sure i'd want one between my legs though.

Used to be used for stopping, before snow ploughs were invented, by doing just that.
Did it once by accident at speed, does make your eyes water and get two lumps in your throat
snow report
For anyone living up north there is a good tele scene at Yad Moss and Raise most weekends. Come and ski with us snowHead
snow conditions
Rocksteadee, seriously, I board and have never put a ski on in my life, should I learn to ski a bit first or would it be easier to smply have a go at telemarking ?
snow report
Latchico wrote:
You get a chance to wear very nice sweaters instead of technical skiwear crap with logos all over the garments.

Is it manditory to have a beard to try Telemarkquetry? I ask as I don't think i've ever seen a free-heeler without facefur of some description, and i've never been able to grow a satisfactory one myself, so i may not be able to participate... wink
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Latchico wrote:

Is it manditory to have a beard to try Telemarkquetry? I ask as I don't think i've ever seen a free-heeler without facefur of some description, and i've never been able to grow a satisfactory one myself, so i may not be able to participate... wink

I have been struggling on the beard front too.....Although I teach Tele and Alpine and am a female, so maybe there is an excuse for the lack of facial hair! Guess rather than chicks digging it, its the opposite and guys seeing girlies teleing with thighs of steel....Say no more!!!
ski holidays
summer, Sorry to hear that you're in the same boat as myself, i'm surprised they let you qualify without one!
If I were you i'd get onto eBay and see if you can get a fake a-la-Life of Brian, you could probably charge more for your Tele-teaching services. Smile
snow conditions
Tele chicas with buns and thighs of steel Rule!
ski holidays
rayscoops,
If Telemarking is the way you would like to go, it would probably be easier to start straight on telemarks as I did 32 years ago in the Marines in Norway. After probably most of the worlds best telemarkers are norwegan and they start on teles. Kids go to school on skis, poeple go to work on skis and some of them are seriously good, even the ones that arn't are still better than me, I have to work at it, they just seem to be natural
Work on the principle that it could be learnt correctly from scratch with no pre conceptions rather than learning alpine then haveing to adapt your style
It would be a slower learning curve ut would be a consistant one
Be interesting to find out how you get on as most tele skiers I know have transfered from alpine. Let us know how you get on
There is quite an active scene at Hemel and Matt Higginson organises a Tele taster at Tamworth on behalf of snow sport england, Have a look on facebook

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 25-02-10 15:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
ed123 wrote:
The pros and cons as I see them..... I get to talk to the wife more!-

I'm out...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy