Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark......... Why?????

Poster: A snowHead
I'll just put my anti flame suit on...

Genuinely intrigued....... It looks difficult, awkward, hard work and lacking in control... what's the attraction??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wrote this on another thread. The pros and cons as I see them;

Why?- For me it is more social- when alpine skiing with friends and my wife I ski a lot faster than them- for me the tele gear really slows me down- I get to talk to the wife more!- and I get a better work out- which I really need as I am not very fit.

It is a real challenge- I feel like a beginner again- although the learning curve is quite fast I think (so after a couple of lessons 2 years ago- some sessions in the Manchester Chill Factore and about 5 or 6 half days in les Arcs I can now tele reasonably fast on blues- ski linked turns down the fall line on reds and pisted blacks- but only survive on bumps and I am lost off piste) but my style needs alot of work- I think I am wha's called a 'dog legger' or 'toe dragger'- which means that my knees are too far apart and my back leg is too far back with the back heel too high.

The feeling of tele turns is great- like skiing well off piste.

Easier to walk in tele boots (much)

It is fun and makes you think- a lot- about balance- I am sure it really helps with alpine skiing.

It is an odd thing to do- which for me is an attraction- in Les Arcs there were another 3 guys telemarking- that was it- as a minority interest this means it is quite friendly.

Very very strangely it is actually easier on the knees than alpine skiiing- both when skiing- because you absorb bumps much better in a tele stance - but also the stats are that it is the least injury prone snowsport (see ski-injury.com)- even with non-releasable bindings you are less likely to injure your acl- but if you do it is likely to be less serious than on alpine skis.

Why not?- Arguments against bothering would for me include-

wasted time when I could be skiing well on alpine gear- especially if there was lots of fresh snow (when I skied off piste I switched to alpine gear)

expense (boots about £300, skis as expensive as alpine- bindings ditto)

the fear of injury (but not the reality)

the weight of taking 2 sets of skis and boots on holiday (and the agro from the Mrs when I explained that because of this we would all only be taking 2 spare pants each on holiday- and that was it- if it was going to be cold we could always use them as balaclavas)

the pain of getting new boots and the pains involved in wearing new boots

abuse from my friends about looking like a ponce (and looking like a ponce)

On balance- I really like skiing on tele gear- I need more practice- especially on bumps and off piste (that said skiing bumps on tele skis is probably a stupid thing to do anyway)

but when there is fresh snow I will be sticking to my alpine skis for the time being- but hope that I'll be able to tele in the powder- which would be really good especially with a really low stance (lots of face shots).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saw a guy doing it at Xscape and it looked rubbish.
Saw a guy in the Alps doing it and it was like poetry in motion.
Wierd way of getting down hill but I'm sure they said that when they first saw someone snurfing...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You cannot beat Tele Turns !!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

what's the attraction??

I've never tried - would like to, and have read a bit about it, but probably not wise at my age. But I love to watch people - and learning something new has to be a great thing to do. It would be very good if all the guys who (reckon they) are good skiers had a go at one of the other disciplines. Me, I'm struggling with snowboarding - but not on cement pistes!

much the same comments could be made about cross country - harder work and much more subtle balance required than downhill skiing. But that doesn't mean it's not worth doing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telemark is cool, alpine is not. I'm going to telemark and be good at it, when I'm recovered that is Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why not?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When you can, you know why...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think I've ever seen a Telemarker fall.............
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vipa wrote:
Iwhat's the attraction??

Well . . . 1: retro will always be cool 2: I have a woollen pants fetish 3: I shop at Val Doonican's local Oxfam . . . but . . .

. . . For me, I was hooked after the first day and completely smitten on the second when I managed a full on, knee on the deck, carved turn. I'm addicted to the hard work needed to become halfway decent, I love the way that you can choose the way you ski, between alpine and tele. It's thrilling to have to be completely aware of your body position and balance and . . .

Let's face it . . . even spotty Grom hillfrogs give a bit of respect to free heelers.

Then there's the fact that there aren't many that are going to ski off on them from outside the bar. Not forgetting that it's great exercise that'll gift you thighs of knotted hawser, buns of steel and great core strength. Hell here are anecdotal reports that telemarkers get almost as much Pas de Deuvet(sic) as instructors. You only had to look at the self satisfied grin on Alister Pink's mug each morning at Wengen to know he was getting more than could be deemed suitable for a man of his revered station wink

This has been seen before but worth another visit:

http://youtube.com/v/7qkMn3jPa2E

Leather boots and wooden skis can jib.

http://youtube.com/v/Kxt2MT52Bck

The impossible?

http://youtube.com/v/lm-xYJ-vOP8

The NUTS! (ix of alpine, tele and board)

http://youtube.com/v/sdhPfTfm6S0
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mincing on skis....................running for the hills..................
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/C7XiC-7bcps&feature=related Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Because I'm worth it. Toofy Grin

Actually, it's huge fun. I enjoyed the feeling of being a total beginner again - I'm competent enough on alpine, but when a bunch of us did beginner tele at MSB08, it took about an hour for any of us to complete 1 turn. By the end of 2 hours, we could link a few turns, and even came down a bit of the Lauterbrunnen! Other positives - you never have to pole on flat bits because of the way the boots are designed and the boots are lighter and a heck of a lot comfier than alpine boots. Doing it right feels amazing. And you can alpine ski with tele gear - it really concentrates your mind on weight distribution.

chrisdavis, watching a beginner tele skier fall is hilarious. Being that skier is funnier still. If, when upright, you allow your weight to go too far forward...
"TIMB-EEEEERRRRRRRR" - complete faceplant, from ankles to hairline. Over-rotating your torso when turning - well, i'm sure a tele 360 would be cooler if it didn't end 'Splat!' Alastair Pink filmed the beginners' lesson in March 08 - I don't think I kept the link, but it was very entertaining. davidof also posted a link to a video of him on a tele day with a group of people, off piste through trees - incredibly cool.

thefatcontroller, mincing you on skis, sweet pea... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vetski, but have you sold your alpine gear and gone tete? . . . Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, gone tete? Que?

No, I like my alpine gear. And I like being able to alpine ski without worrying that I'm about to go tits flat! I can alpine a lot faster on the normal stuff because I'm not thinking so hard about it. But one day I'll get some tele stuff.

I was actually thinking about trying to put a group together for a tele weekend in March, perhaps in the Dolomites (though I haven't yet looked into whether it's possible to rent tele gear out there...any interest from anyone?
ski holidays
It does look good.........

http://uk.youtube.com/v/ZKq2WGSrLc8&feature=related

Even in Namibia
snow conditions
It looks so cool, I just don't think I could go vegetarian and wear the hat with the pom-pom...
snow report
Basically Telemarking is considered to be the purest form of skiing... And how they originally travelled by skis in Norway. When done properly it looks great... When done badly its a whole different story.

The principal benefit of telemarking is as a light weight touring set up.
How many debates do you seen on here about the benefits of Naxo / Fritschi and Duke touring bindings?
And the need for a one ski quiver... Learning to telewhack would solve all those problems.
Not only is the gear lighter - but on undulating / flat terrain you dont need to mess about releasing your heel etc.
snow report
Haggis_Trap, Although funnily enough if you compare the latest top-end tele gear with say, a pair of Garmont Raiumds and Dynafit bindings, you'll find the weight gain (or loss) is insignificant... There is a good argument that as tele gear (skis/boots & bindings) has got beefier and heavier over these last years the next logical step with it is simply to fix the heel down... modern gear is certainly far removed from the 'old-school' leather boots and 3 pin bindings that I first tele'd in...they certainly were light weight...
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
Haggis_Trap, compare the latest top-end tele gear with say, a pair of Garmont Raiumds and Dynafit bindings, you'll find the weight gain (or loss) is insignificant...

Yup - very good point.
No doubt the introduction of dynafit bindings in the last couple of years has changed the whole arguement.
Plus your heels are locked in for any gnarly descents - which on dodgy or difficult snow is much safer.

Half a binding / half a brain....

I am still considering getting a tele set up for days in Scotland though.
And it does looks very cool - when done properly Cool
snow report
Haggis_Trap, I've gone down the NTN route, but they're going onto Vist plates so that if I want to I can drop in a pair of alpine heel pieces and ski fully alpine. Also the boots fit snowboard hard boot clips. 3 disciplines minimal gear and one pair of boots . . . SORTED!

Plus the Teleboard of course Twisted Evil

These guys don't seem to have a problem with "gnarly" wink

http://youtube.com/v/PnFmuSp4Hj0
latest report
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:
it does looks very cool - when done properly

I was going to say it also feels very cool when done properly, but I don't think I could quite claim the 'properly' bit...however - it does feel very good when you get it right-ish..
There's certainly no issue with tele-ing gnarly stuff - alot of my steep skiing has been done with a mate on teles - only time he had a problem was when he'd put his skis on the wrong feet - nearly went pear-shaped...
ski holidays
I gave it a go for a day at EOSB 2008 and I really struggled to turn in one direction - which has resulted in my really concentrating on improving turns to that side while alpine skiing. Interestingly, the decreased coordination/balance is now improving with gym lunging exercises - which for me are dead easy leading with one leg and wobbley with the other.

I will probably give it a go again when I can lunge evenly in the gym because, as stated above, when you get the turn right it feels COOL Cool (even if you do look like a fairy Embarassed )
ski holidays
Nick L, you may be advised against calling me a fairy Evil or Very Mad I will accept however, that I might appear just a bit 'light' on my Rottefellas Embarassed
snow report
As with many other things (monoski, snowboard, big foots), I tried telemarking because variety is the spice of life. I love being in the mountains and on the snow, so a change now and again adds an extra bit of interest. I also felt that any other exercise on the snow would make me feel more at home on normal skis too. Since I only do the variations once or twice a season, I've never really mastered any of them but they still make for an enjoyable day.
ski holidays
I was getting bored with alpine after 30 years !

Never looked back since. Carn't ski as fast or get the really big air but hey, it feels nice and I can still ski alpine on my teles. The ecentricity of it all suites my character very well....according to my wife Shocked wink

Happily there's also a really good tele scene around here and up on the Scottish slopes so thats good too snowHead
latest report
Vipa wrote:
It looks difficult, awkward, hard work and lacking in control... what's the attraction??

Vipa, you must have been watching the wrong tele-skiers!!! Laughing

If you look at the beginers in an alpine ski lesson, they look awkward and lacking control. Walking like ducks, falling all over the place (and can't get up)! Such hard work! Wink Small wonder any of them ever bother to come back. Laughing

Today, there's a demo of tele gears at where I was skiing. There were many tele-skiers on the hill. Quite many of them ski beautifully! In fact, it looks so "easy" to me I was tempted to give it a try! But unfortunately, they didn't have boots of my size. Sad
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Haggis_Trap, I've gone down the NTN route, but they're going onto Vist plates so that if I want to I can drop in a pair of alpine heel pieces and ski fully alpine. Also the boots fit snowboard hard boot clips. 3 disciplines minimal gear and one pair of boots . . .

Worst idea I've heard in a while. Compromise sucks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, there's no compromise, the boots are 4 buckle AT with a bellows and are happy in alpine use, the shape and angles are virtually identical to s/board hard boots. I'll find out soon enough Twisted Evil
snow report
Masque, good luck brother!
snow conditions
Vipa wrote:

Genuinely intrigued....... It looks difficult, awkward, hard work and lacking in control... what's the attraction??

The power and control are wonderful and blowing past a bunch of alpine skiers is just so much fun. Nothing like a series of high speed tele turns to put a smile on your face and so it's time to turn this thing off and go pound out some speed in the sun.

On another note the ability to just walk/hike with the gear on is very nice, often I can hike in or out of somewhere and not even need to put on skins.
ski holidays
but what about the excess inner and outer tip lead?
latest report
I made my first foray into the world of telemarking today.

It's been one of those days where you suddenly feel really excited about getting down a mountain. Hey, it wasn't so pretty but it was the best day i've spent on snow in a very very long time. Hooked, totally.

Thanks to all who've posted on here with their freeheeling stories. It's been great reading and has certainly been a big influence for me!

Very Happy
snow conditions
the littlest hobo, Toofy Grin Another convert.

Watched a 13 year old fly off a substantial jump 15' or more in height and 30' distance, make a grab, and land it all on tele while us old tele skiers stood gaping. He's been on tele gear about 1 month now.
snow conditions
one reason, instant fannymagnetisation

oh yes

Cool Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

1. Chicks love it
2. It looks good
3. It feels good
4. It is f*cking difficult
5. I can do it

Quote of the week, BASI Tele 1 course Zermat 2008
ski holidays
Quote:

Hell here are anecdotal reports that telemarkers get almost as much Pas de Deuvet(sic) as instructors.

And from instructors (The non tele "training ski" type)
ski holidays
Can telemarkers

ski backwards ?
ski any park tricks, jumps ?
ski drop-ins (even little ones) ?
ski holidays
On Tele 1 course had to visit teh snow park, could hear the boarders grumbling that there were skiers in their park, as they do.
Well it is only fair the boarders do own it.

Until one of them was heard to say "Hold on they are on Telemarks" They then came over to us to chat, "Respect man" yada yada yada They even waved us on to go in front of them so they could watch

Never ever never ever has anyone come across a boarder giving respect before

We were all so shocked that we c*cked up anyway

Ho Hum
ski holidays
Quote:

Can telemarkers

ski backwards ?
ski any park tricks, jumps ?
ski drop-ins (even little ones) ?

Do we need to?????