Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling all ski instructors

Poster: A snowHead
I'll hopefully be a qualified ski instructor next year, so I'm keen to know how others are getting on,
tell me about your job; the good and the bad,
where you work and what qualifications you have.
Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, here's my story...

Passed my CSIA L1 in December 2006. Did it in Whistler. Booked directly with Snowpro BC (BC's CSIA 'branch' who co-ordinate L1 courses). Flew out for a couple of weeks with a few days of skiing either side of the course. Thoroughly enjoyed it, had two very good course conductors who were very good at developing various aspects of our skiing. You will find that the difficult bit is learning to snowplough again (properly).

A year with the Navy meant that I didn't get straight into teaching, and then in April 2008 I passed my CSCF Entry Level course in Soldeu. Absolutely fantastic (3 day course run over 6 days for Andorran equivalency), run by a World Cup coach who truly knew what he was talking about - if he didn't know it, it probably wasn't worth knowing. He gave excellent skiing development advice and coaching, and my skiing was literally transformed. He also talked a lot about equipment, which I can now understand (and feel) how much of a difference it can make.

Anyway, my first week teaching is next week as it happens, with Interski in Courmayeur. I will undoubtedly report back on the experience.

I'm looking at trying the AVMS test in February (which will allow for a further three weeks of teaching in the Aosta Valley this, and every future, season should I so wish). Then at the end of March I will give the CSIA L2 course a go. I'll hopefully be doing the extended 13 day course in Soldeu, as the extra days (over the usual 5) allows for work in Andorra (i.e. meets their Sports Ministry requirements for training hours) - it will also allow for more time for excellent instruction and coaching from top examiners.

I had hoped to be working in Canada this season, however, as I had applied for a student working holidaymaker visa, I was unable to complete the application because I left university (which I joined after the Navy). Still, should be out there next season, as I've got a non-student working holidaymaker visa with my name on it. Very Happy

So, it's been fun getting this far. It's also been a good excuse to try and get over to Cananda for a year, and pick up a bit of paid work this winter.

Anyway, the best bit... at least in the early year - great training off top instructors as you work your way through the course. Not necessarily working on getting you skiing the really tough terrain, but getting you to ski in a technically very sound manner.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds pretty good Very Happy

I'm hopefully doing CSIA 1&2 in Banff with nonstop for 11 weeks next January... so I have lots of saving to do. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
daisyc, no intention of being a career instructor so my perspective probably not that helpful but PMed! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thankyou Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
daisyc, I did my (then) BASI 3 in 1972 and my BASI2 in 1973 after a season in Wengen. I then had a gap in skiing but came back to it in the early 80s. I took my Grade 1 twice before I passed it in 1992. I work for myself in France and live in the alps - it's great but it's very hard work. Before you can really make it a career you will need to plan to get to the top level ISTD. otherwise there's no point in doing it for a career, but expect it to take at least 6 years and probably nearer 10! I (and all other ISTDs) can work anywhere we like in the world which is great. I prefer France though I have worked in Switzerland and Austria as well as Scotland and dry slopes in the UK. don't ever expect to be even comfortably off, but if this is what you want to do then very good luck. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hi daysic, i'm an italian instructor and I work for myself in france too......my brother in law from sheffield is becoming instrictor....
for me was not that hard to pass my examination cause I race all my life....but I'm seeing the difficult from form him.....I just tell you to don't think in the beggining and try to pass all the basi.....don't try the other way ....it 's much much better have a licence that everywhere is recognised than not be free to work where you want......and for ski well we need hard trainement and not too much work.....expecially when you are young and every ski school give you just beginners or low level......anyway after a lot of work .......it is the best job in the planete......good luck
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have completed everything for my ISTD except the teaching course. I still cannot work in France because they changed the rules and Eurotest dosen't over-ride test technique any longer.
If I wanted to become a stagier and work for the ESF or EVO2 etc I would have to train for Test technique. This aint going to happen, so I just have to wait to do the teach and get my papers.

If you plan to go through the BASI system to ISTD, move to switzerland!!!

Laters
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skierchris, out of curiousity, why Switzerland?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges wrote:
skierchris, out of curiousity, why Switzerland?

So you can work full-time while moving through the BASI system, perhaps?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, fair enough, but dunno if my perception is right but most people seem to go stagiere and TT route don't they?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skierchris, If you've passed eurotest - what's the problem taking the TT? OK it's a slalom, but you must have plenty in hand. Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, most people I know have just worked elsewhere until they get their ISTD, don't know many people who've chosen to be stagiares.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, I don't really know that many I guess but the majority did seasons in France. Switz makes good sense when I think about it, and I do know a few who did/are doing winters there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skierchris wrote:
Eurotest dosen't over-ride test technique any longer.

Try changing to the Danish system wink

You are going to have to dig very deep for the answer Confused
ski holidays
stewart woodward, or you could just tell him, if you know.
ski holidays
skierchris, thanks for reporting that... wow, i just assumed if you had a eurotest pass you wouldnt need the TT as well. that is a real kick in the teeth after having passed the Eurotest...
snow report
I completed ISIA a month after the TT came in and already had my sights on ISTD. I guessed I would get through quickly at the time but kind of under estimated the Eurotest.

I come from a freeride background so finding the front of the ski was a bit of a challenge. Ha Ha!

I advise Switzerland because it is the best place to work through the system, you don't need TT to work there.

But then if your working then your not training so you need to find a balance?

Danish system???
snow conditions
because in switzerland everybodi can teach......also my mum's dog........we go there we pass an examination very very easy......(ridiculus the level we need!!!!) one week of train with them........,and it is done you teach.........the ability for pass the exam are :
be able to put correctly your ski boots........your skiis .......be able to take a draglift.......and be able to slide in snouplough and parallel from a red run.......
maybe someone think I'm jocking........but it is not.....
ski holidays
lungostyle, Laughing
snow conditions
No - lungostyle, is not joking - but the good jobs go to the qualified Swiss! Laughing
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
No - lungostyle, is not joking - but the good jobs go to the qualified Swiss! Laughing

Does that mean the beginners get the unqualified instructors?
latest report
easiski, I know he isn't - I'm told it used to be the norm but is now much less common, though I know at least one person who used to teach in Switz with zero qualifications fairly recently. Good skier though!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy