Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any doctor's on here???

Poster: A snowHead
stoatsbrother wrote:
rayscoops, ..... there can be more than one reason ........ you insist on assuming that the financial reason is the only one ........
so do you admit that finance is a reason? it seems very strange that under a free 'point of service' NHS such x-rays are routinely refused but under better financed or 'paid for' HS they are routinely accepted Laughing

edit - and your reference to trolling always seems to be when you are flapping wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, he keeps telling you the cost of x-rays is low. Why do you keep banging on? I just don't get it. Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle wrote:
rayscoops, he keeps telling you the cost of x-rays is low. Why do you keep banging on? I just don't get it. Confused
I had hoped to leave this issue behind but i would point out that the cost of a chest xray is not low if you consider the resources that are associated with each one; porter, nurse, radiographer, radiologist to report, secretarial to type etc.. and then add the volume of such tests - actually adds up to quite an amount.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, because some one else has suggested that all the reporting that goes with the x-ray is not cheap, and some of his explanations have been somewhat exagerated (to be polite Little Angel ) and that he is trolling wink with the benefit of his medical knowledge, and he does not want people thinking they can have an x-ray when he thinks it is unecessary, and he has jumped on his moral high horse at times, and because he has been cheeky at times, and because he been taking the p$ss as much as I have, Very Happy

you do seem to follow me around this forum, chipping in with alarming regularity - are you stalking me ? Laughing

edit - and becasue he is a doctor Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
foggy, points taken. Most of the advice on here tends to be general advice rather than specific to the patient though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops,
Quote:

because he been taking the p$ss as much as I have...and becasue he is a doctor

Oh well, at least that's an honest admission - which I've noticed is often forthcoming in the end. Laughing

Quote:

you do seem to follow me around this forum, chipping in with alarming regularity - are you stalking me

No. Unless by stalking, you mean taking issue with your trolling!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
drkpower wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
I had hoped to leave this issue behind but i would point out that the cost of a chest xray is not low if you consider the resources that are associated with each one; porter, nurse, radiographer, radiologist to report, secretarial to type etc.. and then add the volume of such tests - actually adds up to quite an amount.
Perfectly fair point. Let me put it a different way. Kramer has posted and stoatsbrother has implied the following:
Quote:

rayscoops is right, partly the reason that we don't do acute MRI scans on everyone with a knee injury is due to cost-effectiveness issues, but I can honestly say when it comes to plain x-rays, cost is not a factor in deciding whether to do one or not.

Are you saying they're both wrong? If so, I shall consider the possibility of ceasing to hound rayscoops. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="drkpower"]
Quote:

But there is a specific tort in negligence of negligent misstatement (which doesnt require this contractual relationship) where someone relies, to their detriment, on incorrect information provided by someone who holds themselves out to have a particular skill/profession. I dont think a case has ever been (succesfully) taken in respect of information provided over the internet but, in theory, its possible.

There would still have to be a relationship of sufficient "proximity" (in legal, not geographical, sense) between the parties though - in other words their relationship would have to be a close enough one for a duty to arise between them.

In an internet setting, where people are remote and often anonymous, that type of relationship is unlikely, so no liability.

It is also likely that anyone relying on internet advice, with its obvious risks and limitations, would be considered to be the author of their own misfortune if it all went wrong.

Now, lets have a big barny about this, just like the doctors.......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Now, lets have a big barny about this
That's a bit difficult when we're all agreed, at least I think we are, maybe foggy doesn't agree (see his post timed at 1740, which is the one that set me off! wink )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lorenzo

The legal "proximity" required is actually not that close. For instance, in this present discussion, evidence of interaction and the tailoring of the specific advice (to Chect situation) would probaly establish adequate proximity between the parties (in this case, lets say chect relied on stoatsbrother's advice) - it might be different if some random punter looked at this and used the information for his own purposes.

Ultimately though it would probably not be reasonable for Chect to rely on the advice, given all the circumstances - which is essentially your author of his own misfortune point" ... so we agree then....?

Great...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
drkpower, at risk of conceding too soon, I think I agree with your view on proximity.

I was reading your post as relating to more general internet advice, whereas here the posters have built up some sort of relationship through exchange of posts.

Next question, do you think a disclaimer used by empinky at 1536 has any effect? In UK it would be contrary to statute as it disclaims liability for personal injury, but perhaps it is enough to negate reliance, or warn against the obvious dangers of accepting the advice.

It would be a pity if people were put off giving advice online. Truth is, we all know it is accepted at own risk so hopefully that would be followed through if anyone was daft enough to winge after the event.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh deary, deary, dear. An in depth discussion about the finer points of the law on negligence. It's making me feel quite queasy. I might need some medical advice. wink wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually Hurtle I have been quite serious about my belief that xrays per se are not dished out by NHS for every Tom Dick or Harry who roll at at A&E holding their sides looking for an x-ray more because of logistics and therefore financial reasons rather than some medical reasons - it is bad enough getting a x-ray as it is at the moment -, but I have fun also exploring the issue and have also picked up a few points too. Edit - Kramer was making the point that he, as an individual, does not consider the expense of x-rays when he send some one down for one, but my point was that he operates under NHS protocol that an x-ray is not dished out for potential cracked ribs (unless there are mitigating factors) but other Health Systems do, so there must be more than just pure medical reasons for the two systems. From experience I know that you can get an x-ray if you need one, but you can not get an MRI scan if you need one, which is what Kramer, in fairness, has alluded to, and this is without doubt due to the expense/cost/availability of the MRI scan.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 8-01-09 23:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops,
Quote:

I have been quite serious about my belief that xrays per se are not dished out by NHS for every Tom Dick or Harry who roll at at A&E holding their sides looking for an x-ray more because of logistic and therefore financial reasons rather than some medical reasons

Fair enough. It does seem a tad pointless, though, to keep going on at stoatsbrother when he's repeatedly said he doesn't agree with you. I'm inclined to believe him and Kramer and maybe even to believe that most GPs would not hesitate, on grounds of cost alone, to get an x-ray done. But what do I know? And drkpower seems to have got too involved in abstruse legal discussions to opine! Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Next question, do you think a disclaimer used by empinky at 1536 has any effect? In UK it would be contrary to statute as it disclaims liability for personal injury, but perhaps it is enough to negate reliance, or warn against the obvious dangers of accepting the advice.

Yeah, I agree with u there - It wouldnt be a complete bar to recovery but it would feed into the reasonableness of someone relying on the advice/information.

I think this conversation might rapidly close this particular blog down though..... the finer points of negligence are not exactly prime time!
snow conditions
Hurtle, why is that I am keeping on at Stoats and not the other way round ? Puzzled edit - it was 'blow for blow' so to speak, plus also you accused me of annoying the docs when there were three having a pop at me Shocked , and one actually agreed with me in the end Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 8-01-09 23:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
drkpower,
Quote:

the finer points of negligence are not exactly prime time!

Quite so. Laughing

rayscoops,
Quote:

why is that I am keeping on at Stoats and not the othe way round ?
It's what it looks like - you've got an obvious agenda. Come on, you've admitted as much. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Fair enough. It does seem a tad pointless, though, to keep going on at stoatsbrother when he's repeatedly said he doesn't agree with you. I'm inclined to believe him and Kramer and maybe even to believe that most GPs would not hesitate, on grounds of cost alone, to get an x-ray done. But what do I know? And drkpower seems to have got too involved in abstruse legal discussions to opine!

Ive almost forgotten who is saying what at this stage. For the record, there certainly are many many doctors (in Ireland, at least and i would say the UK too) who would have a very low threshold for ordering what might be described as borderline unnecessary tests owing to a combination of pressure from patients and uncertainty of clinical judgment and the practice of defensive medicine. A good case in point would be GPs who run off a battery of blood tests for someone who presents for the first time with fatigue or other such non-specific symptoms when the appropriate initial advice would be to work less, de-stress, get more sleep, drink less coffee, booze less and other lifestyle tips.
latest report
drkpower, i think I have lost the will to live, does that qualify for a blood test wink
Hurtle, you always seem to take a contrary view to me ever since i took you task about KJ Laughing so I am not surprised wink
snow report
drkpower wrote:
For the record, there certainly are many many doctors (in Ireland, at least and i would say the UK too) who would have a very low threshold for ordering what might be described as borderline unnecessary tests owing to a combination of pressure from patients and uncertainty of clinical judgment and the practice of defensive medicine.

Indeed. Lumbar spine x-rays for back pain for instance. However just because lots of other people do it, doesn't mean that the rest of us should dilute our standards.

Quote:
A good case in point would be GPs who run off a battery of blood tests for someone who presents for the first time with fatigue or other such non-specific symptoms when the appropriate initial advice would be to work less, de-stress, get more sleep, drink less coffee, booze less and other lifestyle tips.

Except that a blood test is almost completely harmless, whereas too many x-rays probably aren't. Also most of our patients who present with tiredness are convinced that they've got diabetes/thyroid disease/anaemia, because that's what they've been told. Some of them are happy just with lifestyle advice, but many want the reassurance of the blood tests.
ski holidays
drkpower, yes, I'm sure some doctors order unnecessary tests, if that's what you're saying. I was trying to ascertain your view on rayscoops's contention that some doctors refuse, on the grounds of cost alone, to order x-rays.
snow conditions
Actually, it seems to me as a NHS doctors, that in areas where investigations lead to more income for a doctor or his friends, they tend to get over investigated.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
drkpower, yes, I'm sure some doctors order unnecessary tests, if that's what you're saying. I was trying to ascertain your view on rayscoops's contention that some doctors refuse, on the grounds of cost alone, to order x-rays.

I have never said that, I have said that the NHS system precludes x-rays for checking for broken ribs on the grounds of cost, although I admit and agree that there are other mitigating circumstances
snow conditions
rayscoops,
Quote:

you always seem to take a contrary view to me

Nonsense, that's just not true, I often agree with you and say so. I haven't even got a firmly held contrary view on this particular topic. I just like badgering people who are obviously badgering other people (or badgering me.) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle, leave me alone Laughing edit - you are disagreeing about disagreeing now Shocked you must be in denial wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 9-01-09 0:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

I have never said that, I have said that the NHS system precludes x-rays for checking for broken ribs on the grounds of cost, although I admit and agree that there are other mitigating circumstances
Apologies - consider 'NHS' to have been inserted between 'some' and 'doctors.'
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
Hurtle, leave me alone Laughing
rayscoops, awww. OK. Laughing
snow report
Thanks for the advise but didnt realise i would open up such a can of worms by asking if the are any Doctor's on here. Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chect2000, that's snowHeads for you snowHead

As a skier who fell and damaged their ribs, carried on skiing for the rest of the week, took loads of painkillers for a few weeks, went skiing again, fell again and further damaged said ribs, this time much worse, kept taking painkillers, didn't bother going to the doctor because there's nothing they can do for damaged ribs, I say, just GO (but try not to fall) Laughing
ski holidays
chect2000, don't worry, actually very few worms got out - the longer they're in the can the less they stick their necks out Laughing
snow conditions
slikedges, do worms have necks? Toofy Grin
snow report
Hoppo, to answer your question, well, I guess technically, depending on the exact colour of worm, the intersegmental junction plate between head and first segment could be considered a neck. However to answer your real question: this one sure does! Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Hoppo, slikedges, this reminds me of a joke:

One warm spring day, an earthworm makes its way half out of the ground and looks around. Before long, a second earthworm surfaces just next to the first one.

The first one turns to the second and goes: "Darling, it's spring, the sun is out, the grass is green, the birds are chirping, look, two lovers are kissing on a bench, let us kiss too!"

The second worm says "Go to hell, can't you see I'm your tail end?"
snow conditions
RachelQ wrote:
chect2000, that's snowHeads for you snowHead

As a skier who fell and damaged their ribs, carried on skiing for the rest of the week, took loads of painkillers for a few weeks, went skiing again, fell again and further damaged said ribs, this time much worse, kept taking painkillers, didn't bother going to the doctor because there's nothing they can do for damaged ribs, I say, just GO (but try not to fall) Laughing

Well it was decision time. Ribs not to bad now so off we go on Sunday. poo-poo or Bust. I will let you know when i get back if it was the right decision. snowHead
snow conditions
Look after yourself chect2000! Hope you have a great time.
snow report
Quote:

didnt realise i would open up such a can of worms by asking if the are any Doctor's

chect2000, have a good trip & hope you are safe and comfortable.

Can we now swing the arguement to punctuation? Lynne Truss would have a fit. Shocked
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
i wish - i am not superman Very Happy

Christopher Reeve was unfornately paralysed. Sad
snow conditions
foggy wrote:
FWIW - I'm a doctor. Two pieces of advice 1) Don't ask for medical advice on a skiing forum. 2) Don't take advice from a doctor willing to give it on a skiing forum.

Just come across this thread and was intrigued by this post, in particular foggy's second piece of advice. On the face of it sound advice which I might follow. OTOH it's advice given by a doctor, so maybe I shouldn't...
latest report
DCG, snowHead version of Catch 22 Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy