Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any doctor's on here???

Poster: A snowHead
I have broken 3 ribs a week ago and go to Tignes on the 18th January. Does anybody know what's good for broken ribs, whats bad etc.
I have ordered a rib protector (bit late now i here you say) just to give a bit of support.
Any help please?

Shane
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
apart from medical advice you probably need to let your insurance know as it will probably be a pre existing condition if not healed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chect2000, the best thing for a broken rib is rest ! have you fractured or actually snapped the ribs? btw I am not a doctor but i have snapped a couple of ribs Very Happy most painful and I could not play rugby for maybe a couple of months Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even with tons of painkillers & a good dose of optimism - thats 20 days for healing (assuming you don't start skiing until 19th). Est recovery time for this if undisplaced (sitting stuck together despite the break) is 6w. Ribs cannot be 'splinted' as you need them to move (otherwise you can't breathe) so treatment is rest. For the same reason, healing takes longer. Getting out of breath & breathing heavily will stop healing. Altitude & exercise will both do this.

Your breathing will be slightly less effective due to the damaged area. This will become evident if you exert yourself. Might even become evident at altitude or in the aeroplane.

If you fall onto this weakened area, the 1st risk is: bone gets pushed through the lining of the lung (pleura) & lung deflates. Might take out 1 side completely or just a lobe (you have 5 lung lobes 3 on R, 2 on L). Needs hospital treatment immediately (you will be short of breath at rest with this - called pneumothorax). Up a mountain, you will probably need medical evacuation - horribly expensive, many 000's & doubt your insurance will pay.

Sorry. Crying or Very sad (I'm a GP BTW)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what...snow wrote:
Even with tons of painkillers & a good dose of optimism - thats 20 days for healing (assuming you don't start skiing until 19th). Est recovery time for this if undisplaced (sitting stuck together despite the break) is 6w. Ribs cannot be 'splinted' as you need them to move (otherwise you can't breathe) so treatment is rest. For the same reason, healing takes longer. Getting out of breath & breathing heavily will stop healing. Altitude & exercise will both do this.

Your breathing will be slightly less effective due to the damaged area. This will become evident if you exert yourself. Might even become evident at altitude or in the aeroplane.

If you fall onto this weakened area, the 1st risk is: bone gets pushed through the lining of the lung (pleura) & lung deflates. Might take out 1 side completely or just a lobe (you have 5 lung lobes 3 on R, 2 on L). Needs hospital treatment immediately (you will be short of breath at rest with this - called pneumothorax). Up a mountain, you will probably need medical evacuation - horribly expensive, many 000's & doubt your insurance will pay.

Thanks for that. I broke it on 27th December. No where near 6 weeks. Went to the doctors new years eve and he reckoned 3 weeks or is that to knit together?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In my experience of bust ribs you will think you are better when in fact you are not. Pain free, good breathing, no issues.....and then you get a whack on them and it is "go straight to jail, if you pass Go do not collect $200"
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chect2000 wrote:
what...snow wrote:

Thanks for that. I broke it on 27th December. No where near 6 weeks. Went to the doctors new years eve and he reckoned 3 weeks or is that to knit together?

If he reckoned three weeks, then the ribs are probably actually only cracked, rather then broken right through.

Even then, skiing three weeks later seems extremely optimistic.

If I were you, I'd cancel now - you should be able to reclaim most of the cost through your insurance, although they will say you should have cancelled sooner, and they won't pay out any extra deposit you lose due to not cancelling a week ago.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of kidney & liver to help the bones heal plenty of rest and somthing Like the nike pro fit or the SG Skins from Slush and ruble to help pull everything together and heal oh and lots of rest. Good Luck
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, I think I had just cracked a rib at first, quite painful but i thought .... lets just try the next scrum..... and perhaps that is when I snapped the ribs, and then quite a few weeks later thought I was fine, jogging and running etc around the pitch and then I noticed a 'chin-up' bar and thought I would do some chin-ups, needless to say the pain was considerable as the rib cage opened up as I tried to pick up my weight on my arms Laughing , and as yo say you are straight back in jail without passing go !!

chect2000, A tumble or fall could pop the crack/break again in to somethng a bt worse Shocked if you are as stupid as me take the risk, how lucky do you feel Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The thought has entered my head to cancel. If i take it easy, if i go slow etc etc. It's a private booking and not through a tour operator so i might chance it. When it goes tits up i will be back on here when i get back saying. You guy's were right. What we do for our pleasure hey.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not clever, big or funny but I skied three weeks after breaking my collar bone (having broken said bone whilst skiing). I was just ridiculously cautious and, whilst pootling around like a middle-aged woman (no offence intended though I know it's caused) wasn't quite as much fun as the usual shredding, it was just nice to be out on the mountain. Defo better than sitting at home wishing I was out there. That said, I don't think I was in danger of popping a lung.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chect2000, Last year, I had a big fall on about my 4th or 5th run of the trip, and tore my right calf muscle - not too badly.

I mooched around the town the following day, but then decided for the rest of the trip that I could still get the boots on, and it didn't hurt too much, so I wasn't going to miss out completely on skiing.

This resulted in the sort of tear that would normally have healed in a week to 10 days being made bad enough that it took over a month to be fully healed Sad

But I'd do the same thing again, and every other skier/boarder I spoke to said they would have done the same thing (even those who saw the rather spectacular colours my leg was turning later in the week) rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chect2000, DO NOT CANCEL Very Happy my last trip was 10 weeks after surgery on my spine - so just go for it Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, that reminds me of my spine: went skiing in portes du soleil last December and think I overdid the jumps in the snow park. The day after some vigorous attempts at kickers, my lower back/spine has started 'popping out' disks. It's difficult to describe: when bending in certain situations, it feels like a disk quickly slips out and back in, accompanied by a severe pain, as if the spine has been compressed by the jumping (I know I shouldnt have worn a helmet - too heavy snowHead

Think my thirty-something body is trying to tell me something about attemtping freestyle... Maybe I should have a chat with my GP before hitting the Alps again for a week next week Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
smoking and drinking are also bad for bone healing

rayscoops - i misread your post as saying you went skiing 10 days after your spinal surgery Shocked
ski holidays
chect2000, do what ever you feel is right but do take care if you do go, at the start of last month, I badly bruised the left side of my ribs when I slipped on an icy path and hit them on a low wall during my postal deliveries! Shocked

I was stiff and in pain every morning for 2 weeks! Sad
latest report
leptine, i wish - i am not superman Laughing
skibomb, sounds a bit like the muscles that surround the discs going in to spasms, my experience is that once a disc prolapses you will barely be able to walk back to the lift !! core stability excercise may well help keeping it all in order etc
chect2000, just take it easy, be sensible and listen to your body, and I must admit I am sort of regretting that I pushed it so much after my op Sad especially with my next trip booked fo 30th Jan Very Happy
snow conditions
chect2000, you asked if there are any doctors here, but have completely ignored the only one to reply! Just an observation, as it is really up to you. Just thought it was worth a mention .......
latest report
Lorenzo,
Puzzled He seemed to reply straight away to the post.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Lorenzo,
Puzzled He seemed to reply straight away to the post.

Ah yes. I meant "completely ignored the advice of the only one to reply" - that a fall (fairly likely) could cause very serious problems and require emergency evac and 000s of pounds of uninsured expense.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 6-01-09 21:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Lorenzo, I think he was just looking for a bit of 'comfort advice', and maybe should have said 'i am going skiing after breaking some ribs, what are the risks?' wink Laughing
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Lorenzo, I think he was just looking for a bit of 'comfort advice', and maybe should have said 'i am going skiing after breaking some ribs, what are the risks?' wink Laughing

Yes but the only "comfort advice" has come from us unqualified folk. The good doctor gave very little comfort. I read his post as saying "I don't want to be a killjoy, but you would be mad to take the risk".

I can understand following the heart rather than the head, but with a clear head we all know that ignoring professional advice is foolhardy.

It is also clear that Chect2000 has not asked his treating doctor about it, or he would not have to ask the question here.
snow report
I'm not a doctor (not of medicine anyway), but have broken three ribs on two separate occasions in the last few years (once skiing, once playing baseball). My experience is four-to-five months before the pain completely goes away! Medical friends are surprised that it takes me this long. Managed to ski OK though within a day or two Toofy Grin
snow report
chect2000, sorry to talk about you in the third person! I take it you have not asked your own doctor. I am guessing that is because you really want to go and are scared he will tell you not to. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
snow conditions
Lorenzo, sometimes we all know the answer, just do not want to hear it wink
ski holidays
Sometimes the medical reality is hard to take. I remember my wife being on a drip in a hospital bed because she was so ill she had been unable to even drink a glass of water for 3 days and still she was asking the consultant if she would be able to make the trip to Canada that was planned for the end of the week! Fortunately we were able to transfer the booking and made the trip two months later after she had fully recovered. If I were in a situation like chect2000 then I think I'd rather delay the trip for a couple of months and ski at my 'normal' level than spend the holiday 'taking it easy'.
snow report
Patch, as GP and someone who broke a few ribs 3 years ago - I'd agree with that. Hurts like a bitch. I could ski a bit with them broken - but not much - and it was perhaps 2 months till I had an uninterrupted night's sleep.
snow conditions
I did my ribs about 3 weeks back, x-ray doctors painkillers, carried on boarding until I couldnt breath anymore and was taking triple the painkillers I should have been. Now I still cant sleep on my left side and putting my left binding on hurts like hell. Havent tried falling yet as I dont want to go through all that again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chect200
I broke 3ribs 2 years ago - I couldnt do anything for2 weeks, just catching my breath was hard - running upstairs was incredibly bad. Itd epends how bad they are - remember the altitude will effect your breathing, the unhealed ribs even more !! if you fall badly -you dont want to contemplate the damage you could do. In your position, use your insurance, rebook when you are feeling 100% - who knows you might even get a better exchange rate ! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Lorenzo wrote:
chect2000, you asked if there are any doctors here, but have completely ignored the only one to reply! Just an observation, as it is really up to you. Just thought it was worth a mention .......

I went to the Doctors New Years eve (Moorfield surgery, Moorfield street, Herefored). Explained i was skiing in 3 weeks. Yep did that. He said they would be well on there way to kniting together in 3 weeks and to be carefull for 6 weeks. I went to Doctors for pain killers and advise.

My original post was asking what is good and whats bad to help healing. And thanks to "what snow" i have taken on board what he/she said.
Then you get some Lorenzo coming on here saying i haven't done this or that and jumping to conclusions. Lorenzo read my post " quote me, Does anybody know what's good for broken ribs, whats bad etc."
If you know what is good or bad to help healing then your answer will be appreciated, If you have nothing constructive to add please feel free to post on other threads.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
I did my ribs about 3 weeks back, x-ray doctors painkillers, carried on boarding until I couldnt breath anymore and was taking triple the painkillers I should have been. Now I still cant sleep on my left side and putting my left binding on hurts like hell. Havent tried falling yet as I dont want to go through all that again.

Get some Flows Laughing
snow report
chect2000, to be fair to Lorenzo, he makes a valid point. Your thread asks for DOCTORS advice. The DOCTORS advice was:

"If you fall onto this weakened area, the 1st risk is: bone gets pushed through the lining of the lung (pleura) & lung deflates. Might take out 1 side completely or just a lobe (you have 5 lung lobes 3 on R, 2 on L). Needs hospital treatment immediately (you will be short of breath at rest with this - called pneumothorax). Up a mountain, you will probably need medical evacuation - horribly expensive, many 000's & doubt your insurance will pay. "

You may not like this advice, you may choose to ignore it, but you did ask for it.

FWIW - I'd go anyway and try VERY HARD not to fall. But then, I'm not a doctor. snowHead
snow conditions
have you definitely broken these ribs or is it just someone telling you that you probabaly have - big difference as a lot of the time i see folk who claim ribs are broken, get an x-ray and no evidence of the ribs being broken.

If x-ray shows broken ribs then i agree that risk of collapsed lung (pneumothorax) is one which is not worth risking

If no x-ray showing break then i recon that the bruising around the ribs giving the pain is one that you need to judge if its too much or not. Personally i would tend to just get on and ski/board
Have boarded for a week with a broken wrist needing mrs empinky to do up bindings!!

surgeon btw
latest report
I tore my calf muscle 4 weeks ago and go boarding in 2 weeks so I can feel your pain.

It still aches like mad but I am going to double drop the painkillers, bandage it up and hope for the best!
snow conditions
empinky, hmm... Xrays now routine in - for example - rib fractures in the lower ribs?

The European radiology guidelines (based on the UK ones) say do not do a CXR routinely in minor chest trauma. see here page 96.

In an ambulatory patient - not involved in a high energy/ multi-trauma scenario - if they have localised tenderness, and no signs of pneumothorax and/or surgical emphysema - and they come and see me as a GP - or if I were still in A&E - they ain't getting an X ray.

Tree-Surgeon I am guessing ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:

Tree-Surgeon I am guessing ? Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing
snow report
stoatsbrother, what's the reasoning behind that (I'm neither a GP nor a tree surgeon)? If there's a risk of pneumothorax resulting from a fall whilst, say, skiing, then surely it's better the patient is aware of the break and takes the proper precautions. From what you've said, it seems that broken ribs will only be diagnosed in people involved in high energy/ multi-trauma scenario or with signs of pneumothorax and/or surgical emphysema.
ski holidays
Tommy4681, Sensible question - but I think the risk of pneumnothorax as a late complication may have been slightly overstated earlier. For me the key limiting issue on how soon someone could ski again would be pain.

And I think you say to patients that your rib may be/is probably cracked/broken, but since an X ray will not alter the treatment and may give you cancer - we don't do one.

But then I carried on skiing at high altitude after - I believe - breaking 1 or 2 ribs - (could feel nice clicking and grinding over the wound site when I took a breathe in) so who am I to say...

Bottom line is that a sensible radiology department - acting within current legal advice - would probably refuse to do the Xray in any case. And you don't get a great view of the lower ribs at the side in any case - and that is where many injuries are.

Kramer would be better qualified to speak on this one though.
latest report
stoatsbrother, v interesting. Cheers for that.
snow report
chect2000 wrote:
If you have nothing constructive to add please feel free to post on other threads.

I was trying to be constructive. My constructive advice was to listen to the experts and follow what they recommend.

You seem to have some advice now from a surgeon so maybe you should start up a dialogue with him/her to get to the bottom of things?

You are getting solid advice here from proper professionals, free of charge, and should be grateful for that and take it on board.

I am really sorry that this injury has happened to you right before a holiday, and hope that everything works out (whatever you decide to do).

L'enzo
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy