Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tour Operator Fiasco

Poster: A snowHead
My heart bleeds for ed.bremner and his family - I can hardly imagine the disappointment of not being able to go skiing when the excitement must have been mounting up for ages and completely agree with his decision not to go on an alternative holiday, when he'd specifically chosen a resort that was suitable for everyone.

I also think it's highly commendable the way PipT has come on here and explained the situation. It's a bit shocking to hear that overbooking is so much the norm, and probably surprising that more of us don't have problems because of it. Would also just like to say that I've been on holiday with Neilson (more sailing than skiing) a few times in the past and have always been looked after very well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mmm Boredsurfing - gave myself permission to respond - the buck stops here! We've nothing to hide - it was a c**k up that we tried to find a good solution to and in this case failed. Not sure any rules have been broken here that could put 'snowheads' in hot water. They could have pulled the thread - but that's not the spirit of these things - and we wouldn't have asked - so I'm pleased they had the kahoonas to let it run. We only 'pull' threads on our own forum when they start getting personal - forums aren't the best place for a good slagging - that really can get you in deep legal waters!

Respect to the snowheads webmasters too for creating a fair and open forum - not sure we're learning anymore from this thread though so might be best to let it lie! At this rate I'll be a 'super-head' or whatever by the end of the week!

Have to go now - coldest day of the century and our office heating gives up the ghost - so need to go home and thaw! Been promised a man with a 'special' fuse will be here in the morning. Been an odd day - really felt like a ski company with all in beanie hats and ski wear all day!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing wrote:
PipT, Well done to your company for authorising you to reply to this thread...

I'm not sure any authority was needed... if I recall correctly from the meet the team page.... PipT is about as high as it gets wink

That said, I would also like to add my thanks to PipT for the personal response... as said above... I don't believe any of us expected that. Respect where it's due. (although it's all still pants for Ed) Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PipT, credit to you for explaining Neilson's actions, but I have to say I find it hard to believe that you were not able to source any accommodation for two families in the Courchevel valley. In the early part of January there must be significant under-occupancy in many, many places. It might have been that you would have taken a financial hit as there is every possibility that alternatively sourced accommodation would have been more expensive than your original supplier, but in the interests of (a) delivering your clients dreams and (b) not sullying Neilson's normally good reputation I would have thought that a small price to pay. That assumes, of course, that examples of over-booking like this are relatively rare so your company wouldn't have many occasions during a season when it made a loss on a booking?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PipT wrote:
....At this rate I'll be a 'super-head' or whatever by the end of the week!...

Forgot to say Welcome to snowHeads.... commonly referred to as the looney bin.... beware... like the Hotel California.. they let you in... but it's damn difficult to get out again... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, go back and read what PipT, says about they only use certain beds that pass their standards.....

Quote:
But a bed isn't simply a bed - a Neilson bed has to be 'inspected' to ensure the property meets our health & safety standards. We've worked with the Federation of Tour Operators (FTO) to produce a code of practice to ensure that our properties not only meet local regulations but meet the recommendations from the experts we employ to audit all our properties. Sounds complicated and it is but we want to be sure that the properties we put our guests in are not only comfortable but also safe.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PipT wrote:
At this rate I'll be a 'super-head' or whatever by the end of the week!

Pah, part-timer - Spyderman made it to hors piste (500 posts) in just a couple of days - or it seemed like it Wink But seriously, now you've found Snowheads, albeit in less than ideal circumstances, it would interesting if you stuck around. Admin has managed to create a place where both the supply (industry) and demand (consumer) side meet
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar, go back and read what PipT, says about they only use certain beds that pass their standards.....

Quote:
But a bed isn't simply a bed - a Neilson bed has to be 'inspected' to ensure the property meets our health & safety standards. We've worked with the Federation of Tour Operators (FTO) to produce a code of practice to ensure that our properties not only meet local regulations but meet the recommendations from the experts we employ to audit all our properties. Sounds complicated and it is but we want to be sure that the properties we put our guests in are not only comfortable but also safe.

There are some pretty nice places in Courchevel which I'm sure would meet anyone's standards! If Neilson have public liability issues from putting clients in uninspected property maybe they should inspect a few hotels as backup in case mistakes are made and overbookings happen?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice try Greg - have you looked at our prices recently? If we go any lower we'll be paying you to go!

Seriously though - Neilson are 'big enough to matter and small enough to care' (sorry) - but our buying power allows us to create some great value packages and if you're able to travel out of peak dates and to a lesser known resort there are some real bargins out there. And unlike some operators we're still taking bookings for ski stuff in resort ie skis, boots, schools, passes etc. - allowing you to avoid the poor local exchange rates and make big savings on these ski essentials.

The snow is the best it's ever been - don't miss out on the best skiing/boarding in a generation!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
PipT, credit to you for explaining Neilson's actions, but I have to say I find it hard to believe that you were not able to source any accommodation for two families in the Courchevel valley. In the early part of January there must be significant under-occupancy in many, many places. It might have been that you would have taken a financial hit as there is every possibility that alternatively sourced accommodation would have been more expensive than your original supplier, but in the interests of (a) delivering your clients dreams and (b) not sullying Neilson's normally good reputation I would have thought that a small price to pay. That assumes, of course, that examples of over-booking like this are relatively rare so your company wouldn't have many occasions during a season when it made a loss on a booking?

This is where I was coming from. Obviously you have a certain level of quality you have to maintain, but maybe the OP would have been happy to take a chance on unchecked accom in the right resort in exchange for a discount. Or surely the hotels had space - the Courcheneige for instance is still advertising special offers all through January. Or maybe you looked at those options - I'm into the realm of speculating about the content of the negotiations between you and the OP, which you are both fully entitled to keep private.

As both a consumer in the ski industry and the owner of a service business, I can see both sides, but when I've been let down by suppliers, the cost of failing to deliver what was contracted far outweighs the loss incurred in sourcing an alternative solution. And even then, if the mistake was your supplier's and not yours, then you should have been able to claim against them for any additional costs incurred, leaving you in a neutral position... I realise time was at a premium, and at this stage nothing can compensate the OP for the disappointment, but I just find it really difficult to get my head round how it got to the stage of you being completely unable to fulfil the original contract & the OP having to cancel; I always had a better impression of Neilsons than that
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch wrote:
- the Courcheneige for instance is still advertising special offers all through January. Or maybe you looked at those options -

Funnily enough that's the place I had in mind when thinking about where else Neilson could have looked to place ed.bremner and his party. I find it difficult to believe that the Courcheniege or similar places were completely fully booked. I wonder how much flexibility (in terms of budget) Neilson's on-the-ground reps had when trying to source alternatives to the over-booked accommodation?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Woooaaahh! - 'take a chance' - there are some properties we wouldn't touch with a barge pole - some we have restricted sales into ie certain floors or even rooms - some 'pass' with flying colours. Health & Safety is a very 'British' thing and whilst it's a pain in the butt - we do see the sense in it all and would rather an un-happy guest than an injured one!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PipT, are you really saying that you wouldn't book clients into places like the Courcheneige because they don't meet your standards?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not at all - it's not a property we feature therefore we've not audited it - so therefore 'we say' we can't use it. There wasn't time in this case to send an auditor to Courcheval to inspect 'new' properties - all the ones we featured were full.

We've created a rod for our own backs with the FTO codes but they're based around expert opinion and lots of overseas experience - they're not law but our own 'rules' - all FTO operators play by them - we think they're good so we'll stick with them!

I have to go now it's very cold here!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PipT, I think it is commendable that you take the safety and welfare of your clients (and hopefully staff) very seriously. But surely it's just good practice to make contingency arrangements (such as pre-inspecting a couple of potential over-flow properties) for times when there are cock-ups by either you or your suppliers?
snow conditions
rob@rar, I'd guess it would have been Neilson head office staff dealing with this, maybe using the Resort/Country Manager as liaison. Reps are only good for smiling and holding clipboards wink

I would say, though, that I've had first-hand experience of Neilson incurring significant costs to sort out customer problems (caused by a travel agent, in this case). I've also seen another TO over-book their own accommodation and have to resort to finding rooms with a different TO. I guess the question for me here would be whether Neilson would have been willing to 'trust' another UK TO to look after their guests.

Quote:

If Neilson have public liability issues from putting clients in uninspected property maybe they should inspect a few hotels as backup in case mistakes are made and overbookings happen

That's an interesting point - though I guess it's more complicated than that? Presumably they'd have to go to the trouble of signing supply contracts etc (all costs), and possibly even guaranteeing a certain amount of business (which wouldn't help you if this was your 'stand-by' option).

I'm veering rapidly into the realms of pointless speculation, which probably isn't helpful for Ed or fair on PipT for responding to us (much respect!), so I think I'll shut up now snowHead
ski holidays
Busy up there on the moral high ground is it?

This thread is someone's story of utter misery at the hands of your company. You are now using it as a platform for free advertising. Pointing out that the ski holiday of a lifetime is currently an experience not to be missed is astoundingly unempathetic in the circumstances.
latest report
PipT wrote:
Not at all - it's not a property we feature therefore we've not audited it - so therefore 'we say' we can't use it.

I'd have thought exceptional circumstances warrant at least giving the customer the choice - tell him you've not audited it but can get him in. Won't take him 10 minutes to check out the hotel's web site and decide whether he thinks it look OK. And at least hotels are audited by someone (even if it's not you) which covers your back. Or get your resort rep to pop their skis or board on and hop on the Jardin Alpin for 10 mins and pop in and have a look, unofficial but better than blind... Better than having him cancel at any rate which is surely the worst possible outcome for all concerned.
snow conditions
paulio, You're wrong. The easier option would have been for Pip to ignore this thread and deal with the client privately in the knowledge that this thread would soon die and its Google ranking would soon drop. Your rudeness is uncalled for and does not act as an incentive for other TOs to respond in the constructive fashion that Pip has.
latest report
paulio wrote:
This thread is someone's story of utter misery at the hands of your company. You are now using it as a platform for free advertising. Pointing out that the ski holiday of a lifetime is currently an experience not to be missed is astoundingly unempathetic in the circumstances.

I wouldn't say 'utter misery'. Considerable disappointment, irritation, and frustration, perhaps. Even anger. But 'utter misery'?

If there's a cock-up, there's a cock-up. The remedy is either refund (and last minute DIY to Courchevel) or a comparable alternative (as Neilson's offered). Compensation for not receiving the specified resort would be nice, but should customers expect it?

Given the ski hire wasn't via Neilson, it's sounds like they addressed that issue with fair compensation. I'm also not surprised they wouldn't provide a guarantee that the alternative package would remain the same or cheaper overall.

If one is specifically wishing to go to Courchevel, then the refund may be the best option, but if it's a ski holiday that sounds like it took quite some time to organise, and Courchevel was simply the preferred resort, then Les Arcs ain't bad. I'd go for that rather than face the hassle of re-organising a trip on another week.

If the alternative has many other issues that render it far inferior such as impractical childcare, etc. then that may well make the alternative unviable. One might then hope that more options and alternative packages could have been explored to meet the group's specific needs. It doesn't really sound like Neilsons said 'take it or leave it', i.e. it sounds as if they were willing to address needs (as opposed to compensation/sweeteners).

Perhaps Neilsons might have booked the Courcheneige or other unaudited Couchevel accom given a quality waiver? Effectively, a travel+resortrep only deal.
snow report
horizon wrote:
PipT wrote:
with DIY packaging more and more common many forget the (often hidden) benefits that booking with a reputable operator can bring.

Well, it IS safer to stay in the UK rather than fly off to the Alps and throw yourself down the slopes...

Sorry PipT just couldn't resist Toofy Grin

PipT wrote:
Agree 'horizon' - we and our guests do a lot of crazy and potentially dangerous activities - but nice to know you can sleep peacefully!

Not sure PipT quite saw the irony here .... ? horizon, very funny !
ski holidays
masmith wrote:
Not sure PipT quite saw the irony here .... ? horizon, very funny !

What, you mean, "Book with a reputable operator and obtain the hidden benefit of improved safety through remaining in the UK due to double-booking rather than engage in a dangerous sport, that one might have a greater risk of ending up doing when arranging a DIY package?"

Do DIY packages really have a lower cancellation/double-booking risk?

At least realiable TOs can offer ready-made alternatives, but then I guess if your DIY trip falls through you can also pick up a last minute TO deal - except if you've arrived in resort to find the DIY chalet condemned, or hotel double-booked.

Where DIY exceeds TO, is in the transfer. Too many times I've got up at 3am on the Saturday morning to depart, and too many times, 5am on the following Saturday to return, having spent 5 hours in a Lyon hangar. The other big downer is the TO's misleading pricing, and laborious brochures and websites that make it take far too long to figure out how much a particular package costs and what the heck is comparable with it.
snow report
crosbie, I do not know if diy has more, less or the same probability of being overbooked, but I would assume that OP and co. will be safer this week in Blighty than they would have been on the slopes of Courchevel, or elsewhere. That's all Puzzled
snow conditions
crosbie, I do not know if diy has more, less or the same probability of being overbooked, but I would assume that OP and co. will be safer this week in Blighty than they would have been on the slopes of Courchevel, or elsewhere. That's all Puzzled
ski holidays
HI, just finished reading your post. Not sure if this is of any use to you, we had a problem with a holiday we had booked to Canada for a large group for Xmas one year, at the last minute we found out that two of our group flight had been cancelled & re-booked traveling via USA, even the dates of travel had changed! the dates were the key part of these two members traveling seperately to the rest of our group, due to work commitments.

Needless to say we had huge rows with Tour operator and huge rows between the group while trying to resolve matters, but where we found real help & advice was via our house contents insurance policy, we had a legal helpline. The soloicitor gave here advised us that as we had paid via credit card they were jointly liable for the claim, which potentially large, giving it covered a party of 16.

In our case the flights had been booked 11 months in advance, the travel company had changed the flights, without informing us around June, for travel at Xmas, the failiure on their part had been they had not notified us in June, if they had we would have only have been entitled a refund or we would have had to accept the news flights offered, which were not suitable. Our freinds only found out when they went to confirm flights online they realised they did not exist, on contacting the tour operator they advised us the flights had been changed, but as they had failed to notify us of the material change, this was deemed to be significant under ABTA rules, we were advised we had a strong case .

If you have booked using a credit card, contact them & say that you feel that the Tour operator has breached their contract with you & that under the credit consumer act (act 75 I think) you are holding them jointly liable, they have tremendous pressure (when they want to use it that is) we got a very satisfactory outcome for our party, although we did all go on the holiday, there was no extra extra cost to us, but this was only sorted at the 11th hour and only because credit card company got involved, we were able to get them to intervene by saying we would claim damages from as well as the tour operator, which you are legally entitled to do.

Good luck hope things work out for you. Shame you you didn't go we went to Les Arcs with last year with mixed group & had a great time, funnily enough have just spent Xmas in 3V with same group & also had a fab time again.
snow report
These things happen - in a lifetime of travel we'll all have arrangements that go wrong. It goes with the turf. I think PipT has explained Neilson's side very well, they've done their best for the OP and I find myself feeling more likely to book with them as a result (that's if I wanted to use a T.O. in the first place of course).
latest report
Well after 2 pages of chat between Neilsons and everyone else Ed has not responded. Two sides to a story..... PipT came in once it was coming up on google. PipT explained their side well, clearly good at her job, maybe some of the other staff should have done a better job in the first place. This could have been salvaged. I was in the Alps last week and was told that it is quiet all over the Alps this week, so it is hard to believe that a large tour operator like Neilsons could not deliver. What would Watchdog say I wonder?
latest report
chrisb, PipT is a fella
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
... they've done their best for the OP

I don't think they have, unfortunately. Credit for coming here and explaining, so it's clear that they have made some effort to address their failing. But I'm still not persuaded that it was impossible to find accommodation in a valley the size of Courchevel during one of the quietest weeks of the season. That might well have involved spending more money, and might have required a bit of forethought about contingency plans for when these things happen (which all the industry people on this thread say is the case). So no, they have not gone the extra mile to make sure that they have satisfied their client's dreams, IMO.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, How do you know he is a fella?
ski holidays
rob@rar, The only thing about Courchevel this week is that it is high season for them as it is Russian New Year today, but with the oil price low are there that many Russians there?

Only resort I have been to with signs in French, English and Russian and the adverts at 1850 for Russian banks!
ski holidays
chrisb wrote:
rob@rar, The only thing about Courchevel this week is that it is high season for them as it is Russian New Year today, but with the oil price low are there that many Russians there?

Perhaps a Russian oligarch made Neilsons an offer they couldn't refuse and said "I want the entire hotel! Just tell your punters the hotel was double booked, and preferably send 'em somewhere else, Les Arcs say".
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, And we all have Great Expectations of him. Laughing
ski holidays
Pip Tyler of Neilsons

edited to change status

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 6-01-09 23:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar, we'll probably never know but I suspect they didn't go the extra mile because the OP went OTT. It really comes down to the paperwork you sign up to when you buy a package (the dreaded Ts&Cs). It's a legally binding contract between two parties. It appears to me that Neilson have acted in accordance with that contract and gone above and beyond it to help their customer get a result. Anyone that thinks the OP would win in court is wrong... the first thing the judge wants to see is the contract and they can really only base their judgement on that.

Quote:

What would Watchdog say I wonder?
Nothing. The big tour operators get fewer complaints these days and they are pretty good at sorting them out when they do. Not a story for Watchdog. How many serious complaints have been posted up on this forum regarding Crystal, Thomson, Neilson (apart from this one), Inghams etc. Not many. Can't think of one lately.
latest report
Bode Swiller, Well now I have seen the water ski ing photo......
snow report
deleted post

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 7-01-09 0:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
chrisb wrote:
Bode Swiller, How do you know he is a fella?
I saw him go into the gents at the ski show
snow report
Colin B wrote:
Pip Tyler Co-Founder of Neilsons
No, the founder of Neilson was a bloke called John Neilson.
snow conditions
Quote:

mmm Boredsurfing - gave myself permission to respond - the buck stops here! We've nothing to hide - it was a c**k up that we tried to find a good solution to and in this case failed. Not sure any rules have been broken here that could put 'snowheads' in hot water. They could have pulled the thread - but that's not the spirit of these things - and we wouldn't have asked - so I'm pleased they had the kahoonas to let it run. We only 'pull' threads on our own forum when they start getting personal - forums aren't the best place for a good slagging - that really can get you in deep legal waters!

Respect to the snowheads webmasters too for creating a fair and open forum - not sure we're learning anymore from this thread though so might be best to let it lie! At this rate I'll be a 'super-head' or whatever by the end of the week!

Have to go now - coldest day of the century and our office heating gives up the ghost - so need to go home and thaw! Been promised a man with a 'special' fuse will be here in the morning. Been an odd day - really felt like a ski company with all in beanie hats and ski wear all day!

I work in complaints and I read the first thread and the initial response from "PipT"... I thought OK.... there are two sides to every tale etc.... BUT....

Neilsons are a big company, they do not reply as "neilsons".... the above responses are very unprofessional. I think PipT has got to the chat forum mentality far too quickly and i am not convinced by any of this nonsence.... would you see Norwich Union or Direct line responding on a chat forum as "pipT"...

I have no doubt that there were issues on both sides, but that is up to the consmere to express as such on this sort of forum, a professional co should act in an apporpriate business manner!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy