Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three men fined for skiing into closed area in Aspen

Poster: A snowHead
Three men, including two from England, have pleaded guilty to violating the Colorado Skier Safety Act and each has been fined $250. The men were accused of skiing under a rope into a closed area at Aspen Highlands on Sunday. They told the judge they saw no warning signs indicating that it was illegal to ski on the other side of the rope. The men could have been fined up to $1,000 each.
...Source: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/dec/31/3-skiers-plead-guilty-after-being-cited-aspen/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

told the judge they saw no warning signs indicating that it was illegal to ski on the other side of the rope.

Such classic! Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Such classic! Wink

They could easily not have been aware as it is noy illegal to do this in europe
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If an area is closed it is closed for a reason - if you choose to disregard closed signs then you are choosing to accept any consequences, whether or not it is illegal. Sadly though, those consequences could be extremely serious, affecting other people too and that is unacceptable in my book, so making it illegal to ingnore the signs seems quite reasonable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm always amazed at the number of people that ignore the signs and ski into closed runs. The results are all too often as seen in Damüls and Kleinwalsertal recently! Do they think the runs are closed for fun?
My view is that those caught doing that should at least have their lift passes taken away, but nobody seems to be too bothered about it here!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, you used the word closed several times. A rope boundary has different different meanings depending where you are in the world. In Europe it usually marks the boundary of the patrolled area, going outside this is a personal risk which shouldn't be done lightly but not illegal.
Legally, going down a closed piste is dodgier than ducking a boundary rope (in Europe)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's nothing illegal about ducking under a boundary rope in Europe, it's just that you do it at your own risk.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rich, if people go down a closed piste, then have a problem which necessitates a rescue, would their insurance classify this as "off piste"? Personally I've only skied down closed pistes with instructors (who make all sorts of warning noises at the top on the lines of "don't try this at home").
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, My insurance covers me for off-piste - but not for acting against resort advice. Therefore I doubt if I would be covered whilst skiing a closed piste - and doing so with an instructor would, at best, be a grey area, IMO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butterfly wrote:
If an area is closed it is closed for a reason - if you choose to disregard closed signs then you are choosing to accept any consequences, whether or not it is illegal. Sadly though, those consequences could be extremely serious, affecting other people too and that is unacceptable in my book, so making it illegal to ingnore the signs seems quite reasonable.

No it's not. An area of a ski area might be posted closed for no reason except that there is not uplift running. That has no bearing on the safe passage of ski tourers, walkers or climbers through the area or indeed skiers and boarders prepared to hike up and/or out.

As far as the States go, in CA some of similar laws on skiers have been effectively overturned after a ruling that states can not penalise people for recreational use of federal forest land.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rambotion wrote:
Quote:

Such classic! Wink

They could easily not have been aware as it is noy illegal to do this in europe

So would you grab a hire car out of Aspen airport and start driving down the left side of the road? You are not aware people drive on the right hand side of the road in N. America... Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, if you get seen heading down a closed piste, the pisteurs get pretty agitated, they don't bat an eye if you duck a boundary rope.

If I'd ducked a rope in the US, I'd claim ignorance if I got caught Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another reason why I stopped ski-ing America several years ago -along with the extremely rude airport officials -nanny state mentality -every ski resort I have skied is like a glorified theme park - audible warnings in the Jackson Hole tram about the extreme ski area you are about to enter - corbots coloir -what a joke!! they have several hundred of these in Zermatt alone- give me Europe every time -food is ten times better - I could go on and on -god I hate America!! then we have Israel and Palestine - halt !!! this is a ski-ing forum -thank god for freedom of speach Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowbandit,
Quote:

thank god for freedom of speach

I belive it was the Americans that introduced that concept to the world!

Look I am sure as with most Americans resorts it was well signposted that the run was closed normally the rope has little closed signs on it every couple of feet. But lets be honest with ourselves here if they are good enought to ski off piste routes chances are they are aware of the rules in North America especially when they where with a local or someone who at least lives in the states
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowbandit wrote:
........... - audible warnings in the Jackson Hole tram about the extreme ski area you are about to enter - corbots coloir -what a joke!! they have several hundred of these in Zermatt alone-.....

Don't know what you normally ski - but Corbett's looks worth a warning, to me.
snow conditions
snowbandit wrote:
Another reason why I stopped ski-ing America several years ago -along with the extremely rude airport officials -nanny state mentality -every ski resort I have skied is like a glorified theme park - audible warnings in the Jackson Hole tram about the extreme ski area you are about to enter - corbots coloir -what a joke!! they have several hundred of these in Zermatt alone- give me Europe every time -food is ten times better - I could go on and on -god I hate America!! then we have Israel and Palestine - halt !!! this is a ski-ing forum -thank god for freedom of speach Puzzled

nice blog
ski holidays
Take trip to Engelberg - you will see what I mean -Shane McConkey and Seth Morrison both rate this place. Why did the late Doug Holmes base him self in La Grave? - I believe we have it all in Europe -sometimes the grass is greener on the other side - I have been there - and in true American tradition I found everything over hyped. I would however go back to Canada both Fernie and Kicking Horse are worth a trip -but only in a poor season in Europe snow wise -right now it is looking like we are going to have a vintage season - the only downside is the weak pound sterling. Very Happy
snow report
Sorry Doug - meant Combes -been a long day -first day back at work after Christmas break Embarassed
snow conditions
Thank the lord for Mrs Snowbandit!!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy