Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Man killed by hit and run skier

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

but I bet peeps take it a bit easier - like 'oh I forgot my helmet I think I will take it a bit easier today, just in case'

yes, I am a little more cautious without a helmet - not about avoiding other people but if there are rocls/trees about

I think, on average, people do "risk compensate" (use up part of increased safety features by taking more risks). I think the question "would you drive differently if there was a six inch spike in the middle of your steering wheel" is a good though experiment...

J
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, I tend to ski with a helmet - but may pack it before the last day's skiing. I don't think it affects the way I ski. If I have that attitude, why do I wear a helmet at all? Don't know. Perhaps because helmets are the fashion with sHs. Wouldn't want to be thought a wierdo. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jedster, yes, good point Very Happy I am convinced that those with safety gear ski harder when wearing it in comparison to when not wearing it, or at least take it easier without the clobber on wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, when learning to board I fell on my @rse so much that it become completely black and was so painful that I literally could not afford the slightest fall (or even sit on it), and believe me it reduced my speed to almost a stand still wink

you personally may not deliberately take it a bit easier because you seem and come over as a very level headed and consdierate skier, but not everyone is like you Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just come back from an hour at Braehead.

Having read this thread I was less than surprised to see a guy skiing straight down as fast as he could 'buzzing' his pals and other people. He was not an experienced skier and was not in control as he could not turn and could not have hockey stopped had his life depended on it- never mind anyone elses!

I complained to the 'lifties' but nothing was done!

If they are gettin away with it in such an easy to control environment what hope do we have if he goes to a resort Sad

beeryletcher, You're probably right about stereotyping people but when I think about it I've noticed his type of character there before and they often seem to go skiing in denims which were inevitably tucked into his boots and wearing a jacket of such an awful design he must have scoured every bargain bin in the UK before he found it. You will not be surprised to hear he was wearing a helmet
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Many posts ago, on page 2 I think, I posted what I thought was something reasonably level headed about the tragedy which triggered this thread. Now I am cross. There have been some very sensible posts and there have been some moronic ones. I stick with my views expressed in my posts. Now folk are arguing about helmets. Each to his or her own. If I crashed into another human on the slopes or on the road, my moral responsibility is not lessened due to them not wearing a helmet or seat belt, although it may be so legally from a compensatory point, if not from a criminal one. Same for not stopping; if it was either of my children, yes I would bet my life they would stop and do what they could and I stated that in my initial post. Concussion does not lend itself to coming round, assessing the situation and skiing off. I have been sixteen and I would have acted no differently then to now, and as I also opined, to suggest otherwise is offensive in the extreme to teenagers. So, the fairly large proportion of the rest of you carry on backbiting and justifying the unjustifiable rather than suggesting what we can do to improve the motorway pistes skiing now consists of.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aneira, teenagers do stupid things. In most civilized countries, age is taken into account in sentencing. There are plenty of very good and caring parents who are left saying, 'oh where did I go wrong?' in every magistrates court on every day of the week!

Now, I have a little sympathy for this kid. My sympathy is mine to do what I like with. I'm not telling anyone how to feel, just honestly expressing my feelings.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aneira, Well said.

PJSki, Oh no? 'I'm not telling anyone how to feel,' 'small minded and mean spirited'?????
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, so to feel compassion is 'small minded and mean spirited' in your book?

Keep taking the tablets, Charlotte.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PJSki, you'll be denying next that these
Quote:
But, at least in doing what he did and running away, he has allowed some small minded, vindictive and judgmental people to feel better about themselves.
are your actual words (my italics.) rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, that's just what some here are like. If only this kid was the offspring of some of the contributors to this thread, he would never have run off - at least according to them:
Quote:
if it was either of my children, yes I would bet my life they would stop and do what they could.

You have to feel sympathy for the fact he's not one of Aneria's, in that case. What's a sixteen-year-old going to do a the scene of a fatal accident? Make everyone a nice cup of tea? rolling eyes

I'm not telling people to feel 'small minded and mean spirited', they're doing a real good job of that themselves already. Some of you might want to smell your own shiot every once in a while.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PJSki, if I knew a bit more, I might have some sympathy. Or not. I simply don't know enough. I certainly do concede that we all make errors of judgment and a sixteen year old is arguably more likely than an adult to make such an error. And I also think that no parent can categorically state what his/her child would have done, least of all in a situation where most of the facts are unknown. It is more than likely that, whatever the facts turn out to be, that boy's life will be blighted by the experience: maybe some compassion for that is due. However, I think it's not right to call those who can't (assuming this was a simple, sentient, hit-and-run by someone old enough to exercise his own judgment) summon up such compassion, small-minded: that is itself over-judgmental IMV.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle,
Quote:
if I knew a bit more, I might have some sympathy

There seems to have been an unsavory rush to judgment by a some people.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Many are assuming this Youth (he's not a boy at 16 - not a child) will feel bad and will suffer as a result of his actions. that would seem to be assuming he has a certain level of morality which he did not demonstrate. What seems to be undisputed is that the youth in question skied into the victim, both fell, the youth got up put his skis back on and cluttered off. The victtim died in front of his 12 year old daughter. The police were already looking for the youth as a potential suspect when he surrendered.

There have been 3 fatal 'accidents' in this holiday period that I know of, and undoubtedly there have been many more that we have not heard about. + of course our own Jules B (who could easily have been paralysed below the neck or chest). I have been severely injured by an out of control skier and many of the instructors that I know personally and several local friends have also been badly injured in like manner. By badly injured I mean broken bones and considerable time off work (in one case the entire season). In nearly every case the offending skier/snowboarder ran off without staying to help.

There needs to be public outcry about out of control skiers, and skiers who hit and run - it's very common. One would hope that a forum such as this would lead the way. At the start of this thread there appeared to be more sympathy for the youth than for either the victim, his family and particularly his 12 year old daughter who had to watch her daddy die. However young the youth is, it must have been clear that the victim's daughter was still a child who was left to cope. Surely everyone knows that you call the ski patrol or ask someone else to do it. At least raise the alarm in some way. No-one is suggesting that he could/should have administered first aid.

PJSki, Perhaps you should come and do my job or at any rate spend some serious time on the mountain actually watching what goes on around you before you get so personal. While people do not take responibility for safety on the mountain seriously many more will be injured and/or killed - I hope it's not you or your wife next time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski,
Quote:
both fell, the youth got up put his skis back on

Was it reported that his skis came off?

Quote:
At the start of this thread there appeared to be more sympathy for the youth than for either the victim, his family and particularly his 12 year old daughter who had to watch her daddy die.

Rubbish.
latest report
PJSki once again reminds us that his default posting position is to be rude to people who have a different opinion to him. What a charming man you must be! rolling eyes
latest report
Aneira wrote:
Many posts ago, on page 2 I think, I posted what I thought was something reasonably level headed about the tragedy which triggered this thread. Now I am cross. There have been some very sensible posts and there have been some moronic ones. I stick with my views expressed in my posts. Now folk are arguing about helmets. Each to his or her own. If I crashed into another human on the slopes or on the road, my moral responsibility is not lessened due to them not wearing a helmet or seat belt, although it may be so legally from a compensatory point, if not from a criminal one. Same for not stopping; if it was either of my children, yes I would bet my life they would stop and do what they could and I stated that in my initial post. Concussion does not lend itself to coming round, assessing the situation and skiing off. I have been sixteen and I would have acted no differently then to now, and as I also opined, to suggest otherwise is offensive in the extreme to teenagers. So, the fairly large proportion of the rest of you carry on backbiting and justifying the unjustifiable rather than suggesting what we can do to improve the motorway pistes skiing now consists of.

I haven't got a problem with your view on the issue but i do have a problem with your sentiment that just because you 'posted what I thought was something reasonably level headed about the tragedy' that you are cross ! every one has the right to post their own opinions and just because have a certain opinion does not mean we need to bow at your feet for posting such sage words.

With respect to helmets, well threads develop and do not linger on one element of a topic, or even one post within a topic - even yours wink , and i believe 'helmets' are a relevant sub-topic in the case of an on-piste death whereby a head injury seems to be a contributing factor, and I have no idea where your 'moral responsibility is not lessened due to them not wearing a helmet' idea has come from as this has not even been discussed?

If you have a view, well that is just fine, and for the record I agree with you in the main, but please do not be cross because others may have a different view and maybe, just maybe, others may well think your view is moronic too - each to their own

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 3-01-09 10:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rob@rar, being rude is what a lot of people do on this forum, some just do it a more blunt manner at times, PJSki is no different in this respect to many that you have had the pleasure to ski with at snowHead bashes wink
snow report
easiski,
Quote:

Many are assuming this Youth (he's not a boy at 16 - not a child) will feel bad and will suffer as a result of his actions. that would seem to be assuming he has a certain level of morality which he did not demonstrate.
My guess that he will suffer has nothing whatsoever to do with his 'level of morality', about which I am not making any assumptions at all.

Quote:

There needs to be public outcry about out of control skiers, and skiers who hit and run
Of course, if this is a common problem, there should indeed be an outcry and action taken to improve piste safety. The law in most countries will deal with individual negligence.

Quote:

One would hope that a forum such as this would lead the way. At the start of this thread there appeared to be more sympathy for the youth than for either the victim, his family
Yes, one would hope that all posters would condemn wilful and or negligent hitting and also wilful hit-and-run. As it happens, I think most - in fact, without going back, probably all - who have posted do condemn such things. Also, I haven't seen anyone displaying more sympathy for the youth than for the victim and his family, not even PJSki.

I am not condoning hit-and-run, but I don't like playing judge and jury in relation to an incident of which there have merely been brief newspaper reports. I also admire the Christian ideal of compassion for sinners, even if I wouldn't necessarily display it myself, if put to the test. I think your posts display, as well as justified opinions about dangerous skiing and 'hit-and-run', unsubstantiated assumptions about this accident itself and, a priori, no compassion at all. Happily, your views are more politely expressed than those of PJSki.

rayscoops,
Quote:
being rude is what a lot of people do on this forum, some just do it a more blunt manner at times, PJSki is no different in this respect to many that you have had the pleasure to ski with at bashes
My reluctance to attend bashes has been questioned by some - you've neatly expressed one of my reasons.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:

There needs to be public outcry about out of control skiers, and skiers who hit and run - it's very common. One would hope that a forum such as this would lead the way.

I would hope that people on a forum like this would not rush to judgement before the facts are known. Unfortunately this has not been the case.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I seem to remember reading a mods post that this PJSki fellow used to post under another name and had to change his username as he was either barred or threatened with being kicked off the forum. I would read his posts with that in mind... the few times i recall him posting on threads that i participated on it was the same name calling, baiting drival that added nothing to the debate so I now just ignore him. "Trolling" i understand is the polite term for this odd behavior.
ski holidays
skimottaret, yes, and if he is who I think he is, also a pillar of the SCGB establishment. rolling eyes I would not, now, book a Freshtracks holiday without making sure that he wasn't leading it. Shocked
snow conditions
so who was PJSki in his former life? you can not say such things and hust leave it like that Shocked I am always wary when people start talking about trolling if they do not like what some else is saying on a subject rolling eyes
ski holidays
rayscoops, I most certainly can! I would never dream of 'unmasking' a snowHead who doesn't use his real name, or otherwise identify himself. Or at least not in open forum - the only reason I know is because other sHs have told me via PM! Laughing Edit to add: actually, I don't think he's a troll, just very rude and with a weird and tiresome reverse snobbery. He does, however, make some quite valid points in his rude way, sometimes.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 3-01-09 13:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
easiski, It looks like certain resorts are beginning to try initiatives for getting folks to slow down, or at least separate out the hotheads.

http://www.zermatt.ch/e/latest/chillout_riding/chillout_riding.html
snow report
Hurtle, but skimottaret, has just blackened the poor chaps character though Laughing and maybe you have too by saying you would never ski on a Freshtracks with him leading it Shocked is this a witch hunt now because a few people disagree with him Puzzled
snow report
rayscoops, nope, just don't like his manner. One little bit. (See my edit above.)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 3-01-09 13:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hurtle, oddly enough, being able to go on a FT holiday with him as a leader (assuming my guess is right) would be about the one thing that might draw me back to the SCGB. Unfortunately, I have been age-restricted from his holidays. I have seen very good reports about enjoyment on the slopes with his parties. He is certainly robust on forum - but he is not alone, and such posters make life interesting.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, I don't think robustness and rudeness are the same thing at all. But thanks for the info, assuming we are both on the correct track as to his identity. If you are age-restricted from his holidays, then so am I.
ski holidays
Hurtle, I understand what you are saying - seems like he can't help himself on forum - yet I quite like the guy - especially after meeting him once personally (though I have never skied with him). I can tolerate a bit of rudeness. We would miss Whitegold were he to disappear. And Lizzard can be acid - yet I wouldn't want to see her go, either.
snow report
achilles,
Quote:

We would miss Whitegold were he to disappear. And Lizzard can be acid - yet I wouldn't want to see her go, either.

Absolutely agreed, but they are mostly hilarious fun, whereas PJSki often goes WAY off-boundary, without being funny at all. Also, I've heard it said about several people on this forum, that they are sweetness and light when you meet them face to face and, if so, I would be wary of the genuineness of that sweetness and light. Whitegold is, I think, a sock puppet, so special rules apply to his wind-ups. I am guessing that Lizzard is in the flesh as she is on the forum: I'd be delighted to meet her! But these things are very subjective, of course, and I could be wrong - Whitegold and Lizzard could be axe-murderers, indeed could be a single axe-murderer with a double identity! And PJSki could be a genuine, well-adjusted, courteous paragon.
ski holidays
Hurtle, I have just gone back through the thread and read all of PJSki's posts, and with the exception of one post which was not directed at anyone in particular, there is nothing 'way off boundary', and infact I would go as far to say that if it was, for example, your name next to what he had posted (except one post) then I would not find it out of charcter or out of order. The posts have not been particularly rude either. I feel at times the 'gang/buddy' aspects of snowheads gets a bit out of hand Laughing when one particular poster stands his/her ground on an issue Shocked
snow report
Mornin' poops, there's a lot of ugliness in this thread . . . and so much of it 'off-topic'. Confused

If the kid skied off after hitting someone, then no matter how disorientated he may have been there's no excuse for not having the basic humanitarian value to find out if the other person is ok. That is part of childhood learning and parental guidance. The act of skiing off was a decision and if not a concious one is indicative of an uncaring personality at best.

All the rubbish about helmets is just that. You wear one or you don't, there is no moral dimension to that decision. It's only if by wearing one you develop 'Volvo Syndrome' and ski like a dick does the ? of your morality arise.

I enjoy skiing quickly, I love skiing VERY quickly and sometimes I fall. I have only once hit another person on snow and that was a long time ago and in my second week when we both lost control and serendipity took over. I've always chosen the time and location to extend my limits when I will not endanger others and that was taught to me by my family and peers from an early age.

It's the difference between belting past a beginner on a forest green track or slowing and tapping your poles or giving a verbal call to which side you're going to pass when there's plenty of space to do it.

Skiing is sociological behaviour at variable speeds and enhanced stimuli with concomitant raised levels of aggression and apprehension. . . It's very easy to be perceived as anti-social . . . or even sociopathic. It might even be postulated that the adrenalin rush of skiing may even encourage sociopath behaviour. . . then add alcohol to the mix Shocked

Only half in jest: Should we be required to be cleared by a "shrink" before we all go skiing Confused
snow conditions
rayscoops, my 'way off-boundary' comment was not related to this thread - he has a reputation on the forum which has been well-earned. You will also, no doubt, have noticed my defending his viewpoint on here. I stand by my right not to like his tone - he more than likely doesn't like mine.

Masque,
Quote:
tapping your poles or giving a verbal call
Aaarrgghhh, please don't start that one off again - there are lots of people who think that's quite the wrong thing to do, if not downright immoral.

Quote:
Skiing is sociological behaviour at variable speeds and enhanced stimuli with concomitant raised levels of aggression and apprehension. . . It's very easy to be perceived as anti-social . . . or even sociopathic. It might even be postulated that the adrenalin rush of skiing may even encourage sociopath behaviour. . . then add alcohol to the mix
Good point, but I guess it's incumbent upon us to keep those possibilities in mind, and keep compensating for them. Luckily, you appear to be a paragon of virtue but, more to the point, you think about what you're doing. I'm sure a lot of these accidents happen because people leave their brains behind when they get on to the slopes.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
rayscoops, my 'way off-boundary' comment was not related to this thread - he has a reputation on the forum which has been well-earned. You will also, no doubt, have noticed my defending his viewpoint on here

and therein lies the problem, you have entered in to a bit of tittle tattle/gossip about him and now from a few posts I know (from skimottaret) that this PJSki fellow used to post under another name and had to change his username as he was either barred or threatened with being kicked off the forum and from you that he is, also a pillar of the SCGB establishment rolling eyes (why roll eyes?), that he hosts Freshtracks holidays and is a reason (for you) not to go on them, and that there has been some PM (whispering campaign?) between other snowheads and yourself about him about past postings.

The thing is, why raise such issues if you do not think he has been too bad on this thread Puzzled based on reputation? but he only has 400 or so posts, so it must be from his previous snowheads name ? I just feel sometimes that previous threads or arguments are just that and we should not let them impinge current debates Puzzled
ski holidays
rayscoops, my answer to you is in the form of a further question: why are you, carefully and in exhaustive detail, enumerating and repeating all these points, if you think that making them is a bad idea? Perhaps in your post timed at 1201, rather than asking for PJSki's identity, you should simply have said that, in your view, his posts on this thread are completely inoffensive and that people should not be indulging in historical tittle-tattle. That would have been a legitimate viewpoint, and I might well have retired somewhat chastened (though I do think he has been offensive on this thread, despite agreeing with some of the points he has made). As it is, you are merely continuing to stir. Please desist. I have no further comment to make.
snow report
Hurtle, why ask a question if you do not want my reply ? just being factual and I was simply intrigued as to what his previous snowhead name was but also why some one would bring up the issue of someone's past behaviour and history when it had no relevance to any point of discussion Puzzled it seemed quite odd if not a little sinister !

note - edited a couple of times

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 3-01-09 16:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rayscoops,
Quote:

why ask a question if you do not my reply ?

Ah, sorry, I should perhaps have made it clearer that my question was a rhetorical one. Indeed, I supplied my own answer to it later in the post! wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, gottcha, I new you would want the last word Laughing
snow report
rayscoops, If only to correct your execrable grammar rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy