Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you a skier or a tourist?

Poster: A snowHead
daveqpr have a great time Very Happy

we are off to Montalbert on fri as lots of the family will be there (for babysitting duty!) but the wife and i would prefer the 3Vs, best piste skiing anywhere IMV!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tourist on skis (or on bike, or in a canoe etc).

So the cost of beer or food doesn't bother me. Only if they're of sub-standard food/drinks. After all, I'm on holiday so I'd like to enjoy my time. Packing my own lunch simply isn't how I want to spend my holidays.

I prefer to save on daily expense at home so I can spend them on my (only) few times a year holidays.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc, agreed! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, do you have a price beyond which food/drink is unreasonable and you'll look for cheaper options? Or will you pay whatever price is offered?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm sure booking a catered holiday works out cheaper in the long run, unless you can really be bothered with grocery shopping and cooking. One up front cost and then you only need a little bit of beer spending money to take with you. Works for me... Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sport
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
Sport

What do you compete in? Love to see your results. We can start a stanton Fan Club!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now now rob@rar, as per Frosty's request, we're supposed to be having a "Love In"........ wink wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hang On - That doesn't start until Midnight - You go for it fella............
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timberwolf, hey, I was offering to set up a Fan Club. That's a lot of love!

Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If there are badges, t-shirts, and signed photo's ....... I'm in
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timberwolf wrote:
If there are badges, t-shirts, and signed photo's ....... I'm in

We're going need a team song. And a mascot. I propose this will do nicely.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
abc, do you have a price beyond which food/drink is unreasonable and you'll look for cheaper options? Or will you pay whatever price is offered?

No, not really, as long as the food and drink is of high quality, that is.

Everything is relative. There isn't a price that's unacceptable. It only become "unreasonable" if the same experience can be found at other location for considerably less. Let's face it, skiing itself is expensive. The lodging, the lift pass, the flight, etc. So what if you pay a few extra quid for beer?

For the sound of it, skiing in France is one such experience that you can't duplicate it anywhere else for less. So let it be. Just save money during the summer and spend it in winter! Smile

Not being a primarily piste cruiser, I personally do not find the mega ski resorts in France specially appealing. So I'm likely not repeat it too much. I found skiing equally enjoyable in Austria and Switzerland, or in the Rockies. But I don't find the overall cost considerably cheaper there either (even though I'm based in New York, skiing in the Rockies is still no less expensive than skiing the Alps). I can understand others who particularly like France. And I fail to see the beer price would be so important that it would change such decision.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
I personally do not find the mega ski resorts in France specially appealing. So I'm likely not repeat it too much. I found skiing equally enjoyable in Austria and Switzerland, or in the Rockies. But I don't find the overall cost considerably cheaper there either (even though I'm based in New York, skiing in the Rockies is still no less expensive than skiing the Alps). I can understand others who particularly like France. And I fail to see the beer price would be so important that it would change such decision.

Good answer. I find the price of a cup of coffee more important.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am there to enjoy myself. If its sunny, cold and lots of snow I would happily ski all day with a Mars bar to keep me going. If the snow is cruddy or it's miserable weather I would be equally as happy to take a long lunch whatever the cost (they display the prices...if I dont like it there is always a baguette and jam to break my jaw on). Skiing for me is about the whole experience, this changes on a daily/yearly basis and is usually dictated by conditions. I had a great time last year despite skiing in the rain some of the days. I am as happy stood at the top of a slope looking at the magnificent views, as I am whizzing down and squeeling like a girl snowHead
snow report
espri wrote:
I would go with tommy10pages but the skiing is the essential bit. That said, I must admit just having booked a holiday in Les Deux Alpes after finding the prices in 3 Vallées and Les Arcs too expensive.

You say that as if there's something wrong with here! rolling eyes
ski holidays
daveqpr wrote:
I am there to ski but i still have to eat and drink. I would prefer to not get ripped off for something that i could buy for half the price somewhere else.

Unfortunately on last winters ski trip I promised my wife, that after years of us going to Austria and Andorra we would go to France and stay slopeside in the 3v. I booked it all up in June way before the demise of the pound and the credit crunch. I knew it would be expensive there, but now when I hear of eur7 pints and eur 15 lunches, I more and more would prefer to spend my hard earned in a nice Austrian mountain hit than a french self service canteen!

We go on saturday and this year I have taken £500 more money than last year and fully expect to spend it all (lift passes included in that). That will also be with us taking money saving measures like flasks for our gluhwein (is there a french equivelent to buy in a supermarket in val torens?~) and packed lunches. We are also taking food from the uk to eat in the apartment every other night (maybee more if they want an arm an a leg in the restaurants).

Back to Austria next year .... sorry France but you only have yourselves to blame for trying to extract too many Euros from me!

don't blame all of france for the prices of the 'brit heavy' places! Confused
latest report
I'm hearing a lot of moaning about prices at the moment, and the constant comment 'France is so expensive' - NO - you mean the Savoie and Haut Savoie is too expensive. there are other places you know, so please stop tarring all french resorts with the same brush. Little Angel
latest report
JT wrote:
Skiing is also about good buddies to share the thrills with... I wouldn't be a solitary skier.
The is a limit to how many fast blats on-piste I can be bothered with so a good natured reflection on a blinding day and talking the skiing up with a beer in hand at the end of the skiing is what it is about too...

Have only read this far but wholeheartedly concur - the company is a big factor. This is at the forefront of my mind right now, having been skiing on my tod for the last 2-3 days Wink Good practice, good for self-reliance and a degree of confidence but deffo lacking sth to the extent that I didn't bother to go up on Tuesday despite great conditions. Skiing is a great way of spending quality time with peeps you otherwise never get to spend enough time with.
snow report
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
I am there to enjoy myself. If its sunny, cold and lots of snow I would happily ski all day with a Mars bar to keep me going. If the snow is cruddy or it's miserable weather I would be equally as happy to take a long lunch whatever the cost (they display the prices...if I dont like it there is always a baguette and jam to break my jaw on). Skiing for me is about the whole experience, this changes on a daily/yearly basis and is usually dictated by conditions. I had a great time last year despite skiing in the rain some of the days. I am as happy stood at the top of a slope looking at the magnificent views, as I am whizzing down and squeeling like a girl snowHead

Thanks, you just saved me some writing! Although IME Switzerland does quick snacks on the mountain better than the French resorts we've been to (it's difficult to beat a bratwurst and chips with gravy or a platter of cheese and cold meats)
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:
stevo_the_saddler wrote:

Thanks, you just saved me some writing! Although IME Switzerland does quick snacks on the mountain better than the French resorts we've been to (it's difficult to beat a bratwurst and chips with gravy or a platter of cheese and cold meats)

Agreed all round! Toofy Grin
latest report
eng_ch, Hurtle, I bet its the last few words you agree with most. I love whooping and a hollering as I shoot down the mountain Razz
snow conditions
stevo_the_saddler, in my case, it was the bratwurst and chips that really hit home! Embarassed
ski holidays
MMmmmm veal sausage and rosti with onion sauce.
ski holidays
skier if it's sunny, tourist if it's not...
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
espri wrote:
I would go with tommy10pages but the skiing is the essential bit. That said, I must admit just having booked a holiday in Les Deux Alpes after finding the prices in 3 Vallées and Les Arcs too expensive.

You say that as if there's something wrong with here! rolling eyes

No, not at all. I have skied one day in LDA and enjoyed it when I had a holiday in Montgenèvre. However, I did look at 3V and the like first, as being the biggest areas. I am sure we will have a great holiday in LDA and it offers, I think, better value for money.
snow report
espri, Very Happy Cool
latest report
espri,

The 3V is a ghastly place, IMV, but it does have some skiing. I'll ski it this year, but I hope I don't have to lodge there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The 3V is a ghastly place

rolling eyes Puzzled

Quote:

but it does have some skiing

rolling eyes Puzzled
snow report
Any one who travels from UK to ski and skis less than, say, 25 days a year, can not be anything but a tourist no matter how they approach their days on the slope Wink
snow conditions
I think age is relevent to winter holiday priority choices.
One has to be realistic as a middle age + snow slider in what constitutes a fulfilling holiday given ability, fitness and competitiveness compared to people half their age and less who may well have greater aspirations to push it to the limit or in other words;

Ok Hotshot - On you go Razz

Each to their own i say as it's Your holiday after all so enjoy it in the way that is right for you.

snowHead

Rob
snow conditions
skimottaret,

Yep, IMV....a hideous place. I'd go there to ski a particular thing, but I wouldn't want to stay there.... I can't think of anything endearing about the villages as most are bland, bland, bland at best.. Don't talk to me about Le Men or VT..
Now, that ( blandness ) isn't always something that keeps me away from places... I have just come back from Tignes... Shocked ..but I wouldn't rush to there either. In fact, I'd avoid the 3v's mostly as much as I can.
latest report
Well when I go on a ski trip, the absolutely main factor is the skiing.

BUT - I am a "typical Brit" one week per year, moderate intermediate, who skis almost entirely on-piste.

Given which, any resort with 60-70Km+ of piste, with most of it being red runs plus a few blacks will probably suit me for the skiing, and then other factors, such as the general ambience, scenery and cost become the deciding factors when choosing where to go.

Which usually means Austria or Italy for me, although I certainly wouldn't rule out France or Switzerland, it would be unlikely to be any of the mega resorts in France.
snow report
If you want to explore something different and being on the snow is your priority, get the French town of Embrun in Les Hautes Alpes (Les Ecrins National Park) on Google maps and base yourself there by flying to Lyons, Chambery, Geneva, Marseille, Nice etc and then hiring a car. Everything is much cheaper including day tickets. It is a tourist place in summer so accommodation in winter is often very reasonable and does not have to be 7 days or Saturday to Saturday. You could base yourself in a nearby ski resort but that somewhat defeats the purpose.

Once you discover this area, if you like the mountains, you will return time and time again summer and winter but don't pass it on.

Loads of small French ski resorts within 20 to 30 mins by car and some larger ones e.g. Risoul, Les Orres, Vars and few Brits about. Puy St Vincent, Crevoux, Ceillac, about 30 to 40 minutes and Montgenevre etc about 45 mins to 1 hour. Although we also ski other places like Tignes etc, most years we do a cheapy to Embrun.

The area is very scenic, especially Ceillac and the road to the resort is a treat in itself with truly massive gorges and often pistes to yourself. Embrun is quite a nice typically French town with lots of nice restaurants, some of which you have to search out. You will find yourself dining with the locals and manners are "de rigueur". In the smaller resorts a day in each will usually be enough.

From memory there are around 20 ski resorts within striking distance and day tickets are very reasonable. Get 4 people together, hire a car and accommodation and remember most of the resorts are unknown here and not featured on Ski Club GB. This is a real DIY ski holiday which done once is so much easier in subsequent years.

Nearly all of the above resorts have websites. Put in the resort name and add ski, and something is sure to pop up although not always in English. C'est la vie! Very Happy
ski holidays
handyman, that's all true. Tremendous area all year round.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy