Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you a skier or a tourist?

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard's admirable (Wink) thread on prices and moaning has inspired this.

When you visit a ski area, are you there to ski or eat in mountain restaurants?

Would you go somewhere with less rewarding terrain because the beer was cheaper?

Are you a skier or a tourist?

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
neither, i'm a self-catering snowboarder who is there to ride! NehNeh
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm 50% skiing, 25% love of mountains/scenery/mindblowing views/exploring, 25% whole experience chilling me out like no other holiday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tommy10pages, nicely put... Maybe leave 1% for trying hoping to avoid the bitter, jaundiced ex-pats with a sack of spuds on their shoulder wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tommy10pages, yes, spot on. I am generally there at 1st and last lift, but will usually stop for lunch in a nice hut and an afternoon beer.

I can enjoy myself on most slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would go with tommy10pages but the skiing is the essential bit. That said, I must admit just having booked a holiday in Les Deux Alpes after finding the prices in 3 Vallées and Les Arcs too expensive.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a skier, first and foremost, but I have a love for the mountains and their surroundings which is why I spend my summer holidays camping in the Alps whether it be walking or climbing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It all adds up for me... The mountains just have a magical something and I search out what terrain I can...and I like nice food on the hill, if I can only have one thing, it is a memorable run..

Fave run so far this year..The Sache, when it is not open in deep snow...that is a whole holiday for me...pretty much
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tommy10pages, absolutely agreed, and that makes me picky where I go, however good the skiing. For instance - I shall almost certainly never visit the Espace Killy again. However, like JT, one gorgeous run can make a whole holiday for me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Although I will hopefully love it until the day I die, Skiing is a luxury for me. tommy10pages pretty much sums me up as well, but cost is a concern, and in order to achieve the goal of a ski holiday, i have had to look at ways of economising - if not on the cost of the holiday ( as booked and paid for already ) - then on the hill in terms of instruction/eating or indeed Apres........
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiier.

I (try to) drink and eat much less on winter breaks than on summer ones. I'm there to ski not feast and get hammered.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skiing is the priority for me. I can have a terrible time outside the skiing hours and still thoroughly look back on the holiday as being a good one.

There's nothing better then standing above a nice untouched powder bowl and breathing in the fresh alpine air with your skier buddies.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, I need to tick Espace Killy off my list at some point, I was close to booking Tignes this year before my incredible Plagne 1800 deal appeared on the horizon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tommy10pages wrote:
[Plagne 1800

Oh Lummy... lucky you didn't include Charm and Character or pretty Alpine Architecture on your list... spoo
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27, I've been to a lot of worse places by the look of it, should be fine. It looks a lot better than North London does in January.
snow report
tommy10pages, as someone currently sitting in an office round the back-bottom end of Kings Cross I can wholeheartedly agree with you!
ski holidays
I go to France to ski, I go to Austria for the dumplings Very Happy

Skiier for certain but in doing that there are places I go as a tourist - there's some runs/hills and resorts that are 'must ski', and some little out of the way places without famous terrain that look really interesting so I'll go there as a tourist the same way a city tourist would - see what the fuss is about or to see if there's an undiscovered gem.
latest report
Neither and both.

Skiings obviously the main factor, go where the snow is..but then again cost isn't really and cheap places tend to be full of gobwrong Brits. Went to the Altesch in Switzerland last year which wasn't really rewarding terrain (apart from the timed salom and halfpipe) nor cheap..but stunning, quiet and both relaxing and enjoyable
snow report
Skiing and scenery most important for me , but great food at a decent price can significantly add to the enjoyment and overpriced rubbish detract from it.

For some of the people I ski with the mountain restaurants are more significant so I will take them into account.
ski holidays
Sometimes its a holiday with some skiing, sometimes its skiing 1st, last and only. It depends.

Does this help at all?
ski holidays
tommy10pages wrote:
I'm 50% skiing, 25% love of mountains/scenery/mindblowing views/exploring, 25% whole experience chilling me out like no other holiday.

Given the choice of a week skiing in a snowdome or a week walking in the mountains, I have to conclude that I am 50% mountains, 25% skiing and 25% chilling with the experience. I believe that anyone who is a 100% skier would choose the snowdome over no skiing at all....and I wouldn't!
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, disagree. i put the quality of the ski experience ahead of everything else and driving up to milton keynes then sliding around in a fridge is a very low quality experience IMO
latest report
Milton Keynes is only 100m or so, and Ski Dubai a bit longer. They're not going to do it for a 100% skiing person.
snow report
Skiing primarily, but good food and ambience is a definite plus.
snow conditions
but what defines "skiing" vs "tourism" ?

feeling the snow underfoot, the wind in your face and watching the mountains go by could be either Very Happy

being out in the mountains hooning about coupled with some great food, wine and company is what skiing is all about for me....
snow conditions
skimottaret, You like to push yourself on Technical courses - that would put at least one foot in the 'Skier' camp. I know people who have zero interest in getting 'better' and are quite happy to spend just a little time sliding around between hangovers - they err on the side of Tourist I think...
ski holidays
Spending a lot of money (or time) on great food and wine is very low down the list of priorities for me. A good range of challenging skiing, hopefully with someone who will push me (either an instructor, guide or competent friend) and a bit of company in the evening if I'm skiing with other people will do me perfectly. Fine foods and nights out can wait for other types of holiday or when I'm back home.
ski holidays
I am a supreme athlete who is there to ride to the max wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A tourist who likes skiing... Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Skiing is my priority every time, but being ripped off is not one of the things I enjoy at any time of the year. So I go to resorts with good skiing and what I regard as value for money. Don't get me wrong I don't mind spending a few quid, but when I have to think about spending £4 on a coffee or a coke I draw the line. Especially as I'm normally paying for three or four adults all week.
snow conditions
For me, first and foremost, it's a holiday. A chance to escape from my mundane life and do something I really enjoy. I save up all year for it and make sure I enjoy every minute whether I'm on the piste, in the bar or curled up with a good book and a stunning window view...
snow conditions
Skiing is also about good buddies to share the thrills with... I wouldn't be a solitary skier.
The is a limit to how many fast blats on-piste I can be bothered with so a good natured reflection on a blinding day and talking the skiing up with a beer in hand at the end of the skiing is what it is about too...
latest report
Whitegold, at last you've writen somthing to laugh at Laughing
latest report
im going away purely to ski and rest
ski holidays
Arno, this is possibly the most interesting thread I've ever read here, thanks! Very Happy
ski holidays
rob@rar, you dont have to spend loads of dough on great food and wine, you just bring mrsSkiMottaret and raid the cave Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow conditions
Skiing is my primary concern, however it has to be worthwhile skiing (with reference to Elizabeth B's comment regarding snow domes). I wouldn't really pick a snow dome over a walking holiday (because I love hiking in the Lakes and the Rockies too), however, I'd be very likely to say yes to a weekend of racing and race training in a snow dome, even though I usually try to avoid them as I am of the opinion that they offer a bastardised form of the sport.

I like to feel that I've achieved something (I think of skiing as a sport), but have promised myself to just enjoy every day on snow, even if it was a pants one. The worst day on skis is still better than the best day in the office. snowHead
ski holidays
I am there to ski but i still have to eat and drink. I would prefer to not get ripped off for something that i could buy for half the price somewhere else.

Unfortunately on last winters ski trip I promised my wife, that after years of us going to Austria and Andorra we would go to France and stay slopeside in the 3v. I booked it all up in June way before the demise of the pound and the credit crunch. I knew it would be expensive there, but now when I hear of eur7 pints and eur 15 lunches, I more and more would prefer to spend my hard earned in a nice Austrian mountain hit than a french self service canteen!

We go on saturday and this year I have taken £500 more money than last year and fully expect to spend it all (lift passes included in that). That will also be with us taking money saving measures like flasks for our gluhwein (is there a french equivelent to buy in a supermarket in val torens?~) and packed lunches. We are also taking food from the uk to eat in the apartment every other night (maybee more if they want an arm an a leg in the restaurants).

Back to Austria next year .... sorry France but you only have yourselves to blame for trying to extract too many Euros from me!
snow report
daveqpr dont be so negative!

yes the 3Vs is expensive for food and drink especially on the hill but if you love skiing (and i'm sure you do!) you should have a fantastic time, so many pistes and spending each night planning the route for the following day, excellent fun Very Happy

for cheap beer, 2 for 1 happy hour in the viking is difficult to beat Very Happy
snow report
Roger C, Dont get me wrong im looking forward to the trip loads. and I know the skiing is great as i have been there a good few times before i met my wife, But if it wasnt so expensive I think this would be one of our best ever trips. I ope i dont look back at it saying never again.

I cant wait for Saturday 10 am when we catch the Eurostar day train to moutiers Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy