Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

14 quid for Spaghetti Bolognese

Poster: A snowHead
laundryman wrote:
Agenterre, thanks for your reply, which I've only just spotted. Smile

the knowledge has served me well .. the personal incompetence (in my case ) is another matter Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really don't know why I have a hankering to go to Ischgl. I had the same hankering for Val D'Isère before I spent every penny I had saved for five years going there in 2000. Although I had a great holiday there it really wasn't worth the extra expense. The chalet/food were lovely but it was a bus ride to the slopes, the snow was great but it was freezing (January), there were far too many runs for me to cover in a week, some of the blues were a nasty shade of red (Italian resorts would proudly stick black piste markers on them) and the après was dire. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

you should rejoice that a small number of resorts are able to charge premium prices for people who are prepared to pay them. It means that there are other resorts who have to fight for your custom by keeping their prices competitive.

rob@rar, quite right ..and I am all for loads of people going to visit these premium resorts......the more the merrier....

Big them up..they are great, fab...go there, people... Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our really good meal for 4 last night cost around 100 euros. Very good quality meat - steak, chicken and veal, and more than we could eat for the pierrade, super chips and gratin dauphinoise, salad ad lib, house plonk and deserts all round, including 2 great creme brulees. None of us was complaining about the price, which was very reasonable. Today we lunched by Lake Annecy, at Menthon St Bernard. Stunning - 24 degrees, like being in the south of France, it was. By the water. 2 course 12 euros, 3 course 14.50. And it was the only eatery around, so it wasn't just lots of competition - and Lake Annecy is an expensive area. It's just so crazy that people insist on generalising so wildly about costs in different countries - especially when they have only visited one or two resorts in each. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I don't believe people are 'generalising' about the price differential of different countries, per say, just that the tourist meccas of France and notable more expensive than the tourist meccas of other nations. There's no arguing about that, the facts speak for themselves. There are good value places to be found in France, yes, nobody suggests otherwise. Sounds like you are lucky to be in one such area.

lizard exchange rate has little to do with it (other than it has amplified the relative cost), a pint of beer (or a spag bol) costs more in € in the top French resorts than they do in the top Austrian (for example) resorts. That, I cannot explain nor understand. The beer is better in Austria too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
masmith wrote:
......... The beer is better in Austria too.

It's Hell in Switzerland
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got back from Obertauern yesterday. Having read the above even the over inflated Obertauern prices seem OK

7.4 Euros a Pizza on the slopes and it wasn't a frozen one either.

Beer was steep at 4 Euros a wheat beer.

Espresso 2.2 Euros

I did ski earlier in the year at Oberwiesthal fro a weekend... now there was dirt cheap 2 Euros a beer... but then again they only have four lifts! I ski Austria as the prices are more reasonable, and the Apres is definately better! Was in Hinterglemm in March, deemed expensive by Germans I never paid more than 15 Euros for lunch and a beer with service.

I'll continue to avoid Val. I went once.... never again. Too British, too expensive, and too many people there because they thought skiing was the thing to do not becuase they loved it. I love espace Killy area... but the rest you can take. Ski Tyke's comment about 20 Euros for someone to carry skis has given me a cracking idea for my new career! I've been carrying kiddie's skis for them all week..... time to write out that bill!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatirishman wrote:
Espresso 2.2 Euros

1.50€ in Les Arcs. How much was regular coffee?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia wrote:
............ I had the same hankering for Val D'Isère before................The chalet/food were lovely but it was a bus ride to the slopes,.....

Where were you? Not been there for a few years, but that does not match my recollections of Val's centre. T the other ends of the resoprt, there are perfectly good lifts at La Daille - and a lift to off-piste heaven at Le Fornet.

Quote:
..... there were far too many runs for me to cover in a week....

That is half the point of the place.

Quote:
.... some of the blues were a nasty shade of red ...

True by the standards of many other resorts, particularly those of Austria. Val D'Isere is not a great place for beginners and early intermediates, IMO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, it was a lovely chalet about 5 mins walk to the main resort centre or 15 mins walk to the Solaise cable car. It was easier with skis and stuff to walk down to the main street (uphill on the way back though!) and catch a bus to the funival at La Daille...

I guess I prefer the piste grading in Austria and Italy. Just a bit more confidence inspiring although I can't really be described as an 'early intermediate', I've been an intermediate for over 25 years...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, fair enough. I was not getting at your skiing standard (I've never skied with you, AFIK). What I meant was, firstly, that I agreed with you about the run grading, and then that the average standard of runs is so high that - for those who are beginners and early intermediates, Val D'Isere is not in my opinion the best resort. Even the green down to La Daille (Verte) has steepish pitches for the grade, often with a very unpleasant surface.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey, I know my skiing standard is rubbish. LOL! There were some very easy runs at VDI up at the top of Bellevarde. But I'm not sure where I stand on these enormous resorts where you can't possibly cover it all in a week. I daresay it's a ploy to entice you back again another time. But I kinda like the idea of going to a different resort each season. One life, so many destinations... Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, It's a great place to ski for a fortnight. Used to go to Tignes/Val D'Isere a lot - but have felt no strong urge to return recently.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to Tignes on a Uni trip then to VDI in 2000. Still don't think I've come anywhere near skiing the whole pisted area and I'd probably never dare attempt a French black...

These days I have no burning desires to go back to France though. Other than the cost factor, it's much harder to find the sort of accommodation I want, although my ski buddies have talked enthusiastically about Serre Che so may give that a whirl...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i paid 7 euros for a powerade in Meribel on Friday!
ski holidays
What the smeg is a powerade...?
latest report
queen bodecia, its a variation of gatorade. No better, no worse, its the same thing really
ski holidays
LOL! I didn't know what that meant either but my curiosity got the better of me and I googled it...
latest report
Quote:

I'd probably never dare attempt a French black...

you can't generalise about prices or piste gradings. I could show you some fairly easy French blacks. But much depends on grooming, doesn't it. There's a black (Leisse?) up near the glacier in Tignes which is easy if it's groomed, but can have BIG moguls which make it quite difficult (to me, any way). I expect some of the smaller Austrian areas, like some of the smaller French areas, upgrade some of their more difficult runs to black to make people feel good!
snow conditions
Masque,
Quote:

HH, I never trust women who buy bananas . . .

If you are getting at what I am thinking you are getting at, you might be worried that its my husband that uses the most!!! Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

What the smeg is a powerade.

Water with sugar in it.
snow report
8.80 euros for a large Coke in Brevent Chamonix I found... Shocked
ski holidays
Alex A, it is crazy is't it?
ski holidays
Just back from a week in Meribel, while it is very true that most places are extortionate, there are some exceptions, that is to say if you are prepared to eat snacks rather than fully fledged meals at lunchtimes.

Don't know the actual name of the place, but commonly referred to as the Brown Cow in Mottaret, bang at the foot of the slopes, does a roaring trade in waiter serviced hot dogs / burgers / chips / etc, very adequate for a lunchtime snack - averaging 4 to 5 € a pop. Best bit is a pint of Stella there is €3.20, compared with about €7 everywhere else in the vicinity. Gets my vote.
snow report
burger, chips and a beer - eur8 at the hotel des alpes, La Grave. bargain!
ski holidays
masmith, exactly.... If you go to the restaruant directly overlooking the Brown cow in Mottaret you can get a very nice plat du jour for 11 -13 euro and there is a fantastic sandwhich bar for 3.50 (though i wont tell you where !) coffee is 1.50 at some and 2.50 at others rolling eyes
ski holidays
skimottaret, Yes on our last day we had a 'treat' and ate at a 'proper' restaurant - the one you mention in fact. Have to say it was very nice, but I wouldn't want to pay those prices every day, it's just not necessary (for a family on a budget).
ski holidays
Where to Ski & Snowboard are currently wanting people to take part in their price survey

WTSS Email wrote:
We are still collecting on-the-spot prices of drinks and meals as the basis of our Resort Price Index scheme, so if you can recall what you were paying for a beer or a spag bol in Hoch Bad Tal please do take a moment to log the price in our online survey system.

Prices from any resort are welcome, but we're particularly short of price info on these major resorts:
Austria: Hintertux, Mayrhofen, Ischgl
France: Chatel
Italy: Cortina, Cervinia, Courmayeur
Switzerland: St Moritz.
And we're generally short of prices for American and Canadian resorts.

Please do help if you can. Anyone who files prices will get a full analysis of the results, a subset of which will feed into the new edition of the book.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gordon Ramseys fishcake at £11.25 in his gastro pubs gives a little perspective doesn't it.
snow report
Tesco's are opening a new store in Meribel for next winter - hurrah! I paid £1.25 (€1,26) for Spag Bol avec meatballs in their Islington branch today so days must be numbered for Dicks, Kiki Tsaretta et al
ski holidays
red 27, Excellent news for all those self caterers and cheap petrol and clubcard points no doubt Toofy Grin
I wonder if they will do shop on line and deliver Very Happy
ski holidays
red 27, Are you winding us up ? I wonder if those local chalet owners could buy on tesco direct and pick up at their local store !
latest report
red 27 wrote:
Tesco's are opening a new store in Meribel for next winter - hurrah! I paid £1.25 (€1,26) for Spag Bol avec meatballs in their Islington branch today so days must be numbered for Dicks, Kiki Tsaretta et al

i would cite the Spar in Val d'Isere as evidence that a shop which is cheap bordering on pikey anywhere else can charge Harrods food hall prices in a ski resort
snow report
oh no, hang on, I mis-read the P.R. - it's in Rotherham, not Meribel Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
red 27, quite a difference. A lot of people will have got excited there Toofy Grin
ski holidays
andytb, my apologies... Although as I understand it Rotherham is to re-launch as a sloaney Savoyard-esque Station du Ski, so there is still room for some excitement Very Happy
snow report
just noticed this. here at the eosb in val thorens, it's 7€ for a hot dog, 7€ for a small portion of frites or 7€ for a ropey looking croque monesieur at the "knife and fork" restaurant where we all meet. It's 7€ a pint in the hotel bar too Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

7€ for a small portion of frites

Shocked that's the 3V for you.
ski holidays
lunch for 2 in morzine 2 weeks back was between £40 and £50 nothing extravagant just a plat du jour or similar and a coke each and a large bottle of water to share Shocked Shocked Shocked

best meal was an evening affair at €105 ......nice wine mind you
snow conditions
Quote:

It's 7€ a pint in the hotel bar too

That'll be in the bar across the foyer from the Michelin starred restaurant and overlooking the indoor pool and the FtS Jacuuzi spa bath Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy