Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

14 quid for Spaghetti Bolognese

Poster: A snowHead
Here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7794935.stm

At Val d'Isere, in a mountain restaurant.

Well €13.80, but you just know many currency traders will give you less than 1 Euro to the Pound.

I'm going to Val Thorens in March, by then we will be getting well under 1 Euro to the Pound.

The bit at the beginning looks very enticing though...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bikeandsnow, that was about right thr other week when i was there... and that was cheap!! Smile

Paid £11 for a big Calzone (great value) but something like spag bol was extortionate - I'd say £12 is quite cheap.

Ate only one on the mountain (€12 for ham, egg and chips) as the prices were far too high. My group paid €6 for a coffee in Tignes – that's nearly £15 for three hot drinks - that's THREE CUPS OF COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cod & chips at The Moody Cow just outside Ross on Wye has been £14 for almost a year. It's the only place in the area where you can be sure of a table at 9pm on a Saturday.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hyweljenkins, yes, I think that people are making too much of this notion of high prices for food. I live near a street full of trendy winebars that do food - there are very few main courses, not even designer sandwiches, which cost less than £12.90. On the other hand, paying extortionate amounts for drinks in tourist areas, certainly in France and probably elsewhere, is nothing new.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bikeandsnow, Ill see your spag and raise you a 19 Euro pizza.. Have to say i was pretty shocked in Tignes and Meribel the last few weeks. Beer was routinely 7 E a pint
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bikeandsnow, quite a few pundits predicting an increase in the value of sterling over the next 3 months (only about as far as 1.20) so may not be quite a grim by March. But then again it could be - what does anyone really know these days!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St Gervais the other weekend:

Self service restaurant, not at top of mountain either
Tuna salad starter €9
Beef Bourgignon €19
Choc pudd €7
1/4 bottle Bordeaux €4 Shocked which was surprisingly good value!!
Golf ball sized bread roll €1

late afternoon drinks
25cl beer €5
cafe au lait €6

£6 for a coffee!!! Apparently it was very good! The beer was OK but at 50p a sip it wasn't all that...!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All markets have a breaking point where punters simply say 'sod that' and go without.

I think the mountain restaurant industry might just have found theirs. These prices will come down, a lot, soon.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, well we went without the beef and only had one drink in the afternoon, whereas we would normally of stayed for 2 or 3, so although they screwed us for a few items, they could have turned over more € at more sensible money.

Having said that there were plenty of people in expensive ski gear rolling out of the mountain restaurant after a long lunch and tipping the ski getter outer monkey €20 for his trouble... Shocked

He looked very unimpressed when we gave him one bing bong after 3 out of 4 of us carried our own skis the exhausting 3 metres to the piste...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The Igloo?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The self-service restraunt next to the funicular in Tignes is prety good value - think i paid a tenner for steak haiche and chips and it was spot on. Mind you, it was €6 for a small bottle of beer and €4 for a can of coke.

I just licked the condensation off the window instead!! Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Etoile des Neiges in Tignes le Breviere last week - €17.50 for a spag bol Shocked . The best value meal we had was the dish of the day in the restaurant half way down La Face on Val d'Isere - boeuf bourgignon for €12.50, which was absolutely delish (although after skiing the Face, I think anything would have tasted wonderful!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Camelbak outlaw - 2.0 Litre reservoir for hydration during the day, space for a sandwich bought in the resort and a hipflask of brandy to spice up the 6 euro hot chocolate at the end of the day.

I guess some people would call me tight for not wanting to spend 14 euros on a plate of spag bol, yes I earn good money, yes my mortgage has come down a couple of hundred quid - but I'm not going to bend over and take it by a mountain restaurant. Like most Brits I'm happy to pay good money for fairly priced stuff but hate getting ripped off. The day we start to shrug our shoulders and say "so what" is the day we can be lumbered with certain Americans/Russians and Arabs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some halfwit in that other thread went 'boo hoo hoo, middle class families having to pay an extra few hundred, big deal!". I don't understand this point of view. Financial prudence is probably why these straw-man families are wealthy in the first place.

bucking bronco, precisely. Whether you earn good money or not, a rip off is still a rip off, and everyone should vote with their feet. Looking at this pop-survey of prices I'm taking sarnies up every day and going nowhere near any mountain restaurants (except to do my filthy business in their toilets). Take that, the Eurozone!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's always cost the earth to eat (and drink) in out of the way places or big tourist events. How much for a bottle of water at Glastonbury? a bag of sweets at the cinema, a burger on the motorway?

Compared to what you spend on the kit, the travel, the accomodation, the lift passes, and the lessons, a few quid more on meals and drinks seems relatively trifling. And yes, my mortgage(s) are currently saving me the cost of a skiing holiday every month Toofy Grin
snow report
paulio, I'm with you brother - every penny saved is a penny you don't have to earn. Of course, my plan is to ski off without paying, but each to their own... Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

The Igloo?

laundryman, don't know I'm afraid. I was blindly following my mate round who knows the area. It was getting over towards Megeve at the bottom of a bubble lift. The staff were reassuringly French (surly) and most peturbed when one of our group was rude enough to ask for du buerre to go with his quid roll...

I accept that prices are inflated where there is little competition, difficult access etc and have always been prepared for prices to rise the further from sea level you get but these seemed to reach new heights (at relatively low altitude), exascerbated by the exchange rate (or lack of!).

Large beers in St Anton last season were €5.50 which I can live with. €5 for half as much is rude.
snow report
There are 4 of us to pay for. I visited France 4 times last year for skiing and spent in the region of £4000 in the French coffers. This season I/we will not be skiing in France. By skiing in a cheaper country this year I reckon our holiday for 4 will result in an "in resort" saving of €500. This is rather sad as France is a wonderful place for a ski holiday.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, There are 6 of us, and only one drinks less than me! Shocked AUSTRIA is the answer Toofy Grin

(beers better too!)
latest report
Totally agree with Axsman, You will on average around Lech - one of the most expensive resorts in Austria - pay around €6 for Gulaschsuppe and €4-5 for a beer. Even a glass of pink champagne from the Ice Bar in Lech is about €9-10. Got stung for €15 a glass of brandy in some crappy 3 star hotel in Belle Plagne a few years ago. The French ski resorts that I've visited over the years are definitely more expensive than Austrian resorts.
snow report
boabski, And the in-bar music is INFINITELY better Toofy Grin

I mean, D.J. Otzi vs Sacha Distel (or at best Plastique Bertrand), there's really no contest.
ski holidays
How does Italy compare to Austria & France for food/beer/soft drink prices?
ski holidays
Mitchell, definitely has better food, wine, and cocktails. Music's pretty middle of the road though.

Prices have always seemed more reasonable to me.
snow report
Mitchell wrote:
How does Italy compare to Austria & France for food/beer/soft drink prices?

In my experince, very similar to Austria.

But I suspect there may be quite a wide variation between the Eastern resorts (dolomites) and the Western resorts (Milky Way, Valle D'Aosta etc.). I've only been to the Dolmites, I'm basing that suspicion on a few other comments I have seen.
ski holidays
Plat du jour in the Deux Lacs resaurant in VT was still 12.50 Euros a couple of weeks ago - prices unchanged since April. Perhaps the quality of the food is important too - after all some people happily part with £15-20 to eat a main course in a high street restaurant in the UK - I thought that 12.50 Euro for decent sized main course in a resaurant which serves very decent food up a mountain was very good value and cheaper than I'd been expecting to pay.
latest report
French Onion Soup in mountain restuarant in Meribel three years ago was €13.50.

Yes thats right a bowl of soup.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Some halfwit in that other thread went 'boo hoo hoo, middle class families having to pay an extra few hundred, big deal!". I don't understand this point of view. Financial prudence is probably why these straw-man families are wealthy in the first place.

bucking bronco, precisely. Whether you earn good money or not, a rip off is still a rip off, and everyone should vote with their feet. Looking at this pop-survey of prices I'm taking sarnies up every day and going nowhere near any mountain restaurants (except to do my filthy business in their toilets). Take that, the Eurozone!

Look, it's Xmas. And if Jesus was here, he'd tell you to stop fecking moaning!
ski holidays
If Jesus were here, he'd politely request that you call it 'Christmas'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SOUP?! €13.50?! jesus wept! I hope you didn't buy it!!
That said I was in les gets couple of seasons ago, 4 of us went out for a meal, we had a fondue started with bread and meat, and each had a steak without sauce. Each had 1 beer and a jug of water, that set us back €240! Luckily it wasn't my turn to buy Very Happy. I'm sticking to austria and am trying andorra. I love france but am quite sick of the prices
latest report
"Menu skieur" at lunchtime in our restaurant at the side of the piste 13.50 euros. Spag bol (or whatever is the dish of the day), dessert and a small jug (quart) of wine. Panini 4.50. At last year's exchange rate those prices are a bargain - at this year's, they,re a bit expensive, but no way are they a "rip off".

I've always found many prices in the big resorts - anywhere - absolutely unpayable. I remember Austrian prices, when we first started skiing, seemed pretty eye-watering - we went out one evening, in a selfcatering week, and always had lunch in the apartment. But then I won't eat, unless absolutely desperate, anywhere like a motorway service area, or Warwick Castle, or similar, in the UK either. The only thing that's changed this year is our exchange rate, and that's hardly the fault of restaurants which do their business in euro. Yes, I can probably afford to sit down and spend £10 on a cup of coffee and a cake, but it would give me no pleasure.

In some places - I think Italy is amongst them, certainly Venice is, you can have a really good value drink in one café, order the same thing in the next and it costs 3 times the price. Same thing certainly happens in Courchevel - you have to be really careful where you go in for a drink. Maybe it's the same in the Italian ski resorts - you need to be sure you don't go somewhere cooler than it looks!
snow report
L2A - Double burger, fries and a fanta - Euro 6.90 in Le Takeaway in the center of town, everything else silly prices generally
snow report
Quote:

Take that, the Eurozone!

It's not the Euro zone that most people are objecting to, it's the grossly over inflated, wee wee taking advantaging large French resorts that are doing the damage. As others have stated, Austria and other parts of Europe are by no means cheap, but at the same time are not out there to rip off clientele.

If people object to paying £10 a pint or £13 for a bowl of soup, then don't pay it. Simple. I'll be one of them, while ever there is a suitable alternative, and in almost every circumstance, there is.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 23-12-08 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Worst rip-off I've had yet was in a cafe in Bruges, EUR9 for a 250cl Hoegaarden. I asked the manager if perhaps there had been a mistake on my bill, and he - literally - laughed, into my face.
snow conditions
masmith wrote:
Quote:

Take that, the Eurozone!

It's not the Euro zone that most people are objecting to, it's the grossly over inflated, wee wee taking advantaging large French resorts that are doing the damage. As others have stated, Austria and other parts of Europe are by no means cheap, but at the same time are not out there to rip off clientele.

If people object to paying £10 a pint or £13 for a bowl of soup, then don't pay it. Simple. I'll be one of them, while ever there is a suitable alternative, and in almost every circumstance, there is.

Take that, po-faced reaction to something I said for comic effect!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
The only thing that's changed this year is our exchange rate, and that's hardly the fault of restaurants which do their business in euro.

Agreed, but do you think some of them will be forced to cut prices?
snow report
paulio, hilarious.
ski holidays
Hooray!
ski holidays
I'd hope so, Its hardly like they're selling it at a low profit! Although some shop owners don't seem to understand the "charge less, make more" idea
latest report
laundryman wrote:
pam w wrote:
The only thing that's changed this year is our exchange rate, and that's hardly the fault of restaurants which do their business in euro.

Possible in the very British resorts if consumption goes down a lot. No chance in the upmarket resorts.
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
laundryman wrote:
pam w wrote:

Possible in the very British resorts if consumption goes down a lot. No chance in the upmarket resorts.

Are they often not one and the same ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy