Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

14 quid for Spaghetti Bolognese

Poster: A snowHead
nixmap wrote:
so either join the Euro .

What, like Switzerland you mean???

Very Happy

Went out to Suisse for a long weekend in January - Pricey indeed...but who cares, rather be there than London!

Not going to go to France this season though, not prepared to get absolutely slaughtered financially, rather do it in Austria or Canada!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well It depends what resort you go to. Its my belief that everyone troops into the likes of Verbier, Zermatt, and the 3 Valleys in France which are all purpose built tourist revenue machines. Its hardly surprising that you go there and get ripped.

If you are a real snowhead then really the apres ski is for the birds anyhow, who the hell wants to get drunk before a serious powder fest the next day.
On mountain food is prety much rubbish anywhere you go (with a few exceptions). ski from 08:30 to 14:00 the go have some decent lunch off mountain and leave the shredded junk for everyone else.

Even more sensible, find a different resort one that doesnt cater for mass tourism, ok so it doesnt have 400km of piste. but are some fairly priced resorts with only around 4 - 8 lifts
but they are just as good to ski.

Suggestions.
Lenk, Hasliberg, Tchiertschen, Obersaxen, Pizol, Brand(AT)

Get off the beaten track if you dont like being beaten.

N.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nixmap,

It is up to us as consumers what, when and where we buy stuff. Consumers in general will continue with the same buying habits as prices increase, but only to a point. Just like the recent prices in oil, we all carried on buying till it eventually reached breaking point, demand declined and the price came tumbling back down again. Industry needs to be careful, including those in the Ski industry, that it doesn't push the consumer to breaking point so that they seek alternatives. (My brother in law is in the field of log stoves and is raking it in as people are looking to alternative fuel supplies).

PS I know virtually nothing of Micro and Macro Economics, this is just my observation.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well... The boy and I are off to Cham next Thursday and I've already told him mountain restaurants are out.... Breakfast is free so we intend to load up then, buy butty making gear from the supermarket for lunch on the hill and (as we are travelling by road) I'm taking my little stove and MSR mountain kettle along with coffee & sugar (milk we'll buy locally) and then I can do us a flask to take up too.... just throw it all in my pack! Then we should only have to negotiate the evening meal but that shouldn't feel too bad if I haven't bankrupted myself on the mountain during the day!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
During our week in Courchevel (admittedly the cheaper if not cheap 1350) variant, we were on a mission to spend as little as possible. We were in a catered chalet, and by means of massive breakfasts, DIY packed lunches and strategic additional purchases of baguettes and cheese for the evening, we spent ~E150 for the four of us on food and niknaks that week, including the meal out on the chalet host's night off. I was mortfied when I was unable to finish my chips - it irks me to send perfectly good food back to the kitchen. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Flying Snowplough, looks like you overdid it with the niknaks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vipa - was in Cham last week and if you are looking for some cheap drink after coming down the mountain, the Monkey bar in Chamonix Sud were doing €1 a pint between 4.45pm and 5pm and buy one get one free on beer and wine from 5-6pm. We took advantage of that and it kept the costs down. Also on Monday night they had for girls all-you-can-drink champagne for a fiver. Which was good until they ran out of champagne Smile It is not a swish joint by any stretch of the imagination, but for some cheap refreshment we found it one of the best.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At a cafe at the bottom of the piste in Les Brevieres on Monday - 2 watery coffees and a can of diet coke, 17.2 euro Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys - I didn't realize how much I was getting ripped off until I read this! So we are eating in tonight Spag Bol it is from a jar of Dolmio brought from home!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chattin gwith my bruv today - they got 3 vin chauds, 2 coffees and a hot choc in Tignes last week for £50! Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

they had for girls all-you-can-drink champagne for a fiver....It is not a swish joint by any stretch of the imagination

Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Plagne -
The bar above twinner at the bottom of Plagne Montalbert was doing Leffe 9percent (its beer of the month) for 3E 20. Who needs lunch with a few of those down your neck! Actually the food is pretty good in it as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pricing examples for La Plagne/France 2nd week feb, 2009:

travel along toll roads approx. 12 cents per mile
(total 1500 miles tolls @ 180 euro)

motorway fuel 1.23 euro
cheap fuel in mid-town 1.12 euro
(1500 miles return trip to alps £235)

cheap city hotel room 67 euro
4 star city hotel room 139 euro

cheap resort bottled beer in a bar 7 euro
expensive resort bottled beer in a club 10 euro

cheep omelette in a bar 7 euro
nice omelette & chips up the mountain 10 euro

entrecote steak & fries anywhere 15 euro

hot choccy / coffee 1.80 - 3 euro

frittes on their own 3-5 euro's

cheap bottle of wine in the shop 7.5 euro
cheap bottle of wine up the mountain 25 euro
bottle of champagne in a cheap bar 85-110 euro
(have a laugh with the bar staff to get complimentary shots, though take it steady)

= some mountainside restaurants fairly empty, some medi-busy, roche de mio restaurant always packed regardless, but there's a good eaterie a half mile down the hill.

underground parking in belle plagne @ 63 euros per week (but car works)
outdoor parking @ 4 euro per day (but rels car didnt work)

new 100Ah battery on the mountain 170 euro's (fitted himself)
= always check before departure

mountainside rescue in sledge from 'Mira 9' @ 175 euro's (friends leg twisted)
mountain top rescue in sledge over 400 euro's (research)
medication/painkillers/ipiprine @ 175 euro's
knee brace @ 175 euro's
= buy the piste pass insurance you can

catered chalet...
= excellent value in all with outstanding hospitality (superb food, even following my two nights of over-indulgence)
= brilliant ski-out-and-in to warm locker room
= thermal spa in building @ 4 euros a dip inc sauna etc. with access to snow outdoors for a russian roll!!!

= hope the stirling improves before next winter, but doubt we'll see as much ski-able snow in one week ever again.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 18-02-09 17:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gonwitdeewind wrote:
new 100Ah battery on the mountain 170 euro's (fitted himself)

Somone's just made themselves the thick end of £100 supplying that.

That verges on immoral.

John.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gonwitdeewind, if thats what you were paying for beer in LP then someone saw you coming from a long way!

(I was there the week before you)
ski holidays
We dont go to these places to save money but to have a happy time - I was just providing some details. What happens after an ascent? Hopefully a decent piste. Wahey!

Have just had an absolutely brilliant week in LP apart from one in our group sustaining an injury a day before the end that meant he had to be rescued with medical costs far greater than might have been saved on beer and batteries elsewhere, but sooo many boarders having meetings all over the place. Please forgive me if you're a boarder but it concerns me for the safety of me and my family plus theirs and our mutual medical costs!!!

However, have recently read that of more concern for parents than children wearing a helmet, should be how to stop children falling from chairlifts - 100 fell in France alone!
latest report
gonwitdeewind,
Yikes!
snow report
gonwitdeewind wrote:
However, have recently read that of more concern for parents than children wearing a helmet, should be how to stop children falling from chairlifts - 100 fell in France alone!

Here is the answer.
ski holidays
masmith,

Shocked

the stuff people come up with!
ski holidays
I saw those devices on some chairlifts in 3Vs over Christmas, I wondered what they were.

I find the description of operation a little suspect though: "A permanant magnet fixed to the seat is activated for the whole ride up... [and is] automatically deactivated [at the end]" Since when has permanency been switchable, especially with regard magnets Puzzled
snow report
Pete Horn,

Does permanency refers to the magnet being permanently attached to the seat, or to being permanently on? Toofy Grin
snow report
It was being showcased on the french version of ski sunday here the other day. The fall rate may be why our young lady supervising the Mont Rosset chair, admittedly not the kindest on the back of the knees, refuses to let The Bogee ride solo. This 'quite upsets' him when she lets little ski clublets half his size do so.
latest report
Courchevel 7-14 March 2009

Best Buy - Can of Beer from Kalico Take Out Hut (with some tables and chairs) = 2.5 euros Very Happy

Worst Buy - Whole Chicken in the supermarket in the Forum supermarket = 25 euros !!!! When I found out it didn't come with a naked chef to cook it for me I passed up on buying it Sad Laughing
ski holidays
I thought Lech was supposed to be expensive? Spag bol 9.50, Beer 3.60 (on the mountain), Very nice bottler of Sauvingnon Blanc 32.00 (in hotel). Seems cheaper than France and FAR better quality. Will be coming back next year whatever happens to the Euro Very Happy

P.s. FANTASTIC Resort, loved every minute here, trip report to follow.
snow report
Axsman wrote:
I thought Lech was supposed to be expensive? Spag bol 9.50, Beer 3.60 (on the mountain), Very nice bottler of Sauvingnon Blanc 32.00 (in hotel). Seems cheaper than France and FAR better quality. Will be coming back next year whatever happens to the Euro Very Happy

P.s. FANTASTIC Resort, loved every minute here, trip report to follow.

yep - same in Montafon and Serfaus. 0.5L of hefe 3.60, soup for lunch 3-5 Euros for darn tasty stuff. Dinner in Lech was routinely 15-20 Euros a dish (but good food) in cheaper restaurants, but in Montafon/Serfaus, 8-12 was much more common. Decent bottle of wine for 30-ish in lech, 20-ish elsewhere. And Gernknoedel and vanillesauce - who cares Smile

Lech is pretty much in line with mid-top range north american resorts cost-wise, so not exactly pricey (altho you can pay a lot of you try!). Other places are a fine deal, IMHO! And all seem to get really excellent snow.
snow conditions
Given a better exchange rate, Courmayeur last week would have been quite cheap. Food on the mountain ranged from €3/4 (toasted panini/pizza slice/soup) to €8/9 (full pizza/pasta dish). Small beer or vin brulé was €3/4, large beer or long drink €5/6. Only ate out one evening as in a half board hotel but that worked out at €22 per head for very large pizza, wine and coffee. No complaints here at all...
snow report
gonwitdeewind,
where did you get hot choccy for 3 euros, never mind 1.80!
In Les Arcs,
we paid 4.90 each at Solliet (mind you, they did come with a sunny terrace, a sweet barmaid, and china cups....

Best value beer had to be the 6 euro 6packs of Pelfort from the spa (along with our litre of gin from the last duty free trip)

Valentino's in 1950 did very nice pizza's for 10 euros.... but even lunch at la Ferme in villaroger (definitely not on the mountain) was not cheap - but some of the nicest 'sausage and chips' I've ever had.

As for restaurants in 1950, the Lys restaurant in the Radisson building is very good, but you're looking at London fine dining prices.

In summary, the food ain't cheap, but it can be quite good.... just don't eat out on Friday night! (everywhere is packed)

Can recommend the Intrawest apartments - spacious, well laid out, and with nice views. lousy lifts though.
snow conditions
hamilton wrote:
gonwitdeewind,
where did you get hot choccy for 3 euros, never mind 1.80!
In Les Arcs,
we paid 4.90 each at Solliet (mind you, they did come with a sunny terrace, a sweet barmaid, and china cups....

Ouch!

Every hot choccy I had last week in the Ski Welt was between €2.40 and €3.00

Quote:

Valentino's in 1950 did very nice pizza's for 10 euros.... but even lunch at la Ferme in villaroger (definitely not on the mountain) was not cheap - but some of the nicest 'sausage and chips' I've ever had.

Again, on mountain prices for food were normally well under 10 Euros for a main course - a Tiroler Grostl was usually €7.00 or €7.50 for instance, and would be a very full meal for that.

Beer in the hotel was €3.10 for 0.5L
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just read a survey result link in an email from 'where to ski and snowboard' http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=700&featureid=95&pageid=320 which suggests France will have 9 out of the 10 most expensive in resort Spaghetti Bolognese's (Verbier is in there too) and that Meribel tops the league chart.

"The 20 cheapest resorts are all in Austria and Italy, apart from a couple in Canada.
The 10 dearest resorts are all in France, with one exception: Verbier in Switzerland rivals the most expensive French resorts.
By coincidence, the cheapest French resort and the most expensive Italian resort have identical prices - a price index of a modest 92.
The most expensive resort? Méribel, in France, with an index of 153
The cheapest resort? It's more or less a tie between Hochkonig in Austria (70) and Selva in Italy (71)."
ski holidays
chamonix last friday evening..tiger tiger indian restaurant..TAKEAWAY chicken vindaloo,chicken ceylon,2 pilau and a garlic nan..2 magners whilst waiting..55 euro!!! and it was the worst indian i have ever had!!! avoid at all costs
latest report
Bikeandsnow wrote:
Here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7794935.stm

At Val d'Isere, in a mountain restaurant.

Well €13.80, but you just know many currency traders will give you less than 1 Euro to the Pound.

I'm going to Val Thorens in March, by then we will be getting well under 1 Euro to the Pound.

The bit at the beginning looks very enticing though...

Ended up in a mountain restaurant and the cheapest selection for a main course was a basic pizza for €16, a can of coke was €4 and a plate of fries was €7.8 - so pizza, fries and a can of coke was nearly £30 !!

Some good value though - the 'Face' bar in the center of town was selling large beers for €2.00 (ish) from 4 pm and the price went up every hour until it reached €5 by 10 pm.
snow conditions
Stayed in les menuires over the new year. first afternnon was my turn to pick my daughter up from ski school and the rest of the party went for a couple of beers on the monutain restauraunt just up from our appartment. They only had 1 drink €7.50 for just over 1/2 a pint. No more drinking on the hill after that experiance. But there was a pub in the village which did a happy 2 hour special - 4 pint jug for €12 - much better.

On the non-alcoholic side a coffee was €4.50 - 6 of us in the group €27 for a round. The dearest spag bol I saw was in Courcheval - €16, they wanted €6 for a coke and the french onion soup was €13 as mentioned in an earlier post. I know it's supposedly an up-market resort but is soup that nice??

I've been skiing 20 years and this is the first time I've not had a meal on the hill.

No doubt the exchange rate is playing its part but I just felt like I was being ripped off. But for as long as people go skiing to these resorts nothing will change. After 4 years of France I'm off back to austria next year.
snow report
.. any of you ever been to the UK ?

French drink prices havent changed a jot afaics in the last 24 months. Im also amazed at we Brits ability to find the dearest prices in resort. May I respectfully suggest NOT going to Brit-owned establishments rolling eyes
snow report
Scongie wrote:
... and the french onion soup was €13 as mentioned in an earlier post. I know it's supposedly an up-market resort but is soup that nice??

A friend was offered the 'special' soup at the restaurnat on the corner of the road at Chaudanne (can't recall the name) - being soup, he didn't think it necessary to ask the price. The bill arrived for €45, of which €8 was for his beer. Shocked

Scongie wrote:
After 4 years of France I'm off back to austria next year.

After 1 year in France I'm back off to Austria next year Very Happy
snow report
Agenterre,
I returned to Courchevel for the third year in a row this March, to the same hotel. Though the hotel was fully booked the restaurant was really quiet at lunch and the bar was near desserted most of the time completely the opposite to last year. Also, I bumped into my ski instructor of the previous two years, hed actually gone off skiing to another resort for a week as there wasn't enough work for him (ESF). He was also going to go home for another week before Easter.
snow report
HH, Sorry , I really dont buy all of this anti-French nonsense .. I'm biased because I live here but :

Quote:
Best Buy - Can of Beer from Kalico Take Out Hut (with some tables and chairs) = 2.5 euros
Worst Buy - Whole Chicken in the supermarket in the Forum supermarket = 25 euros !!!! When I found out it didn't come with a naked chef to cook it for me I passed up on buying it

.. beer - basically the price I paid everywhere in 3V last month, ... I have never paid 25 Euros for a chicken ... anywhere, anytime.

but, yes the French I know in the service industry have noticed that the Brits have become the tight-wads of Europe in the last few months ---- such a contrast with the way we were flashing money around as if we owned the world for the last 5 years Shocked
ski holidays
Agenterre, I have tried to explain to French friends that no, the British aren't all loaded, they just pay for everything on credit. Usually they stare at me as if I were a complete loony. Laughing
latest report
Agenterre, I've only skipped in and out of this thread, so I might have missed the odd diatribe ... but my sense is that mostly people are just suggesting that French traders might have to adjust their expectations to a new reality. A number of people have said that Austria is cheaper - do you (or anyone, for that matter) have a theory as to to why that is so (if it is)?
snow conditions
laundryman, I think it is mainly to do with the client base, with the French mega resorts being able to name their price to an almost captive UK market, whereas Austria, for example, has large interest from other nations, notably Germany.
latest report
masmith wrote:
the French mega resorts

this is the nub of it. "France" seems to be shorthand for "French mega-resort" sometimes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy