Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

14 quid for Spaghetti Bolognese

Poster: A snowHead
shoogly,

Oh, now I'm really pleased we're off to Courchevel next month!! Will start feeding myself up now I think!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HH, Mountain Restaurants- Our selection of stops when you are skiing

Couchevel Valley

La Soucoupe - top of Loze chair 1850, Two restaurants the lower floor cheap and cheerful coffee, hot dogs and frites. Upper floor very nice with open fire and steaks cooked to order
Le Bel Air - 1650 top of Ariondez, Fabulous views, moderate prices and great for a long lunch, you must book to get a table +33 (479) 08 00 93
La Bergerie - On the Bellecote piste in the 1850 area, medium priced nice food +33 (479) 08 24 70
La Petit Savoyard - In 1650 right of the bubble through the gap by the Hotel Golf. Cross the street, turn to 45 degrees Charming must book! +33 (4) 79 08 27 44
L'Arc-En-Ciel - At the base of Saulire cable car. A reasonable priced little family restaurant.
La Table De Mon Grand Pere. The very best place in La Praz for a good value meal.This restaurant is truly excellent. Be sure to reserve in good time as it gets completely full most days. Tel: 04 79 08 41 42
Kalico - On the left hand side of the piste just afteras you pass under the Main lift station. reasonable value food, there is also a sandwich shop next door which has cheap panninis with outside seating.
Au Pain D' Antan - inside the Forum complex there is a sandwich shop that overlooks the climbing wall, nice good value sandwiches and cakes with quite a few seats. All the British Instructors hang out there...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret,

That's brilliant thank you! Do you take a pen and paper with you on the slope to write all that down?! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Au Pain D' Antan - inside the Forum complex there is a sandwich shop that overlooks the climbing wall, nice good value sandwiches and cakes with quite a few seats

skimottaret, We often got lunch from there and sat along the front de neige to eat. One of the chuffin horses ate my Tarte au Citron when I put it on the wall to munch my sarny. It is the one with the Nordica Speedmachine imprint on its back bottom (if it's still there) Evil or Very Mad
Another time I walked into a pillar whilst gawping at a VERY fit blonde who was chatting to the said instructors. My friend then dropped a bag of tarts whislt laughing at me. Am off skiing on the 15th and now getting childishly excited and am starting to dribble and ramble....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.ramblers.org.uk is the place for you, then.

['snowy strolls' photo on homepage today]
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HH, Frosty the Snowman, best deal in Courchevel is the cold lunch option at Au pain d' antan, choice of sandwich, can drink and pastry 8 Euros... bargain in my opinion. Toofy Grin will be out during half term as well i bet i know the blonde bird.. Karen, awesome scottish skier and very very tasty, now sadly relocated to Oz....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret,

Guess its too much to ask that the can of drink could potentially be a beer?! We're staying in the Grandes Alpes, third season in a row. We're on Half Board and we used to eat lunch there on the terrace a lot...but now we have fallen on our ar*e, fiscally so it's a good job it was paid for in December or we'd be staying at home! Ah, Global Economic Downturn, gotta love it!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HH, i managed to swap for a coffee once but a beer would be a step to far i recon wink Wifey finds out next week if bonus got canned for last year, may be eating sandwiches this trip Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret,

Yeah, am thinking I will be that person raiding the breakfast buffet to make sarnies for lunch! Fingers crossed for the bonus.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, the merinet.com snow report the other day made reference to a BBQ picnic area near the snow park in Meribel - apparently you just turn up with your sasuages and throw them on, eat your butty and scootle off again .... have you seen this ? Any good ? We're next there at Easter so fingers crossed for good weather, an on-slope BBQ would be nice ...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lunch in Austria last week was anywhere from 7E to 15E depending on what you wanted - (2 full racks of ribs were 15E)
Yesterday- pasta, a portion of chips and a pot of tea was £7 in Scotland.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HH, if you haven't yet looked at skimottaret's website, please do so - it is a MINE of useful information. I heartily endorse Au Pain D' Antan for good value snack in town, and Bel Air has been my favourite mountain resto for ever.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith, hadnt seen that but will keep an eye out for it, there is a restaurant near the snow park but i didnt smell any bbq smells.. sounds interesting
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We ate out once when we went to Avoriaz this year, then stuck to bringing our own sandwiches and buying a basket of chips between us to go with the sanies. Like others have said already, I'd rather save the money and spend it on another weekend ski break.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As II said, Hinterglemm, Austria last week. Sausage & Chips 4.50E, Tiroler Grostl 7.50E, Spag Bol 6E, Large Beer dearest we paid 3.60E, Coke or Sprite 2.20E
snow conditions
Hurtle, skimottaret,
Aha! Had a quick look at the website, that is fantastic thank you.
snow conditions
Well just back from what some here always call 'expensive' Kitzbuhel. Prices on the mountain: goulash soup: 4-5 Euros. Tiroler grostl or a large bowl of chilli/spag bol: 7-8 Euros. Coke: 2.5 Euros. That is exactly half the price I was paying 2 weeks ago in Courchevel on the mountain. Eating in town in the evening, typical prices at the cheaper restaurants were Wiener Schnitzel: 9-11 Euros. Pizza: 8-11 Euros. 'Nice' burger & chips: 8 Euros. Glass of prosecco or mug of gluhwein: 3.5 Euros.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 8-02-09 18:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just back - been in France since Christmas. A quick trip to Tesco for some essentials was a real pleasure! Such cheap food. Pack of mangetout peas and pack of sugar snaps; £2 for the two. A huge coffee in Costa Coffee at Maidstone Services, shared between two, for £2.25 - about the price I'd paid for one tiny decaff, the previous night in a very ordinary service area restaurant near Bourg en Bresse!

But you can't ski here, and the view from the car park at Tescos in Havant doesn't compare with the one from Carrefour in Sallanches. snowHead
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, LMAO
snow report
Just back from Meribel - it was very quiet despite excellent conditions !
We found varying prices - the most jaw dropping was 38 Euros for a New York Burger - in the Panaromic at the top of Courchevel - Chicken and Chips 27 Euros and not great either with surly service.
La Soucoup also in Courchevel was excellent , 20ish Euros for a main course but massive portions and excellent quality - highly recommended
Spag Bol was circa 14- 15 Euros everywhere with varying quality - beer was 5 to 8 Euros per pint - 5 in happy hour - Hot Choc 3 to 5 Euro
Its expensive up the mountain but the resorts were generally cheaper - you can find cheap food if you want it, but dont expect plush surroundings.
More shocking was by the end of the week, we were actually getting conditioned to the prices - trouble is now it becomes a once a year treat intead of twice !
Luckily our chalet had an Alcohol inclusive deal, but including lift passes (230 Euros each !!) we managed to spend over 1000 Euros for 2 of us excluding Accom and fights and transfers !!!!!!!!
Gear too is horrendous - a top I bought in Snow and rock for £80 was 145 Euro !!!
The French consider the collapse of Sterling an English problem, but with every 2 out of 3 being a Brit they are going to have to reconsider - there are a lot of shops and bars close to the edge and have just put prices up to cover the fall in numbers, even the lift company is worried and was having a meeting with the chalet/ Tour Operators to try and work out how to increase numbers - Its not rocket science is it ????????
I love the Trois Vallees and have been for the last 7 years but next year I will be looking elsewhere as it is becoming far too expensive - If I'm on holiday I'll enjoy myself but if I feel someone is taking the p*ss I'll vote with my feet.
If you're going - enjoy yourselves, but take plenty of cash
ps on The Sat ( Yesterday) we had 40 cm of Powder - some of you are in for a treat next week
snow report
Quote:

Panaromic at the top of Courchevel

that place is truly rip off city, I never would set foot in again after a similar experience a few years ago. stupidly expensive, poor food and c**p service
snow conditions
Quote:

The French consider the collapse of Sterling an English problem, but with every 2 out of 3 being a Brit they are going to have to reconsider - there are a lot of shops and bars close to the edge and have just put prices up to cover the fall in numbers, even the lift company is worried and was having a meeting with the chalet/ Tour Operators to try and work out how to increase numbers - Its not rocket science is it ????????
I love the Trois Vallees and have been for the last 7 years but next year I will be looking elsewhere as it is becoming far too expensive - If I'm on holiday I'll enjoy myself but if I feel someone is taking the p*ss I'll vote with my feet.

I absolutely agree. Before we went to Meribel a few weeks ago, I started reading this thread and others and was obviously disappointed to hear of the silly prices being charged, compounded by the weak pound. So I went away with a slightly different attitude and in fact ended up spending less money than I would have done normally, i.e. instead of buying 5 pints a night at, say €5 each, I would buy one or two at €7 or €8 and save myself for the slopes Happy - so instead of me spending €100 ish over 4 nights on beer, I spent less than half of that. I'm going back to Meribel at Easter and if the prices do rise further due to lack of sales then guess what, I'll be buying even less ! Suppose we are lucky that we are in a catered chalet with lots of friends and family so can make our own entertainment for little cost, but what I'm saying is if drink prices were reasonable then the bars would be getting a lot more of my money, not less.
snow conditions
Switzerland is sounding more and more like an Austrian-style "bargain" compared to France. a Large beer is only around 6 Francs (5 pounds).
ski holidays
Levitt, the 3 Valleys isn't the whole of France. You can get a large beer for 5 euros in some places outside the big ski factory resorts favoured by so many Brits.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

Panaromic at the top of Courchevel

that place is truly rip off city, I never would set foot in again after a similar experience a few years ago. stupidly expensive, poor food and c**p service

I 100% agree. We ended up in there with the SCGB Rep in early Jan and when I saw that sausage and chips was 19 Euros on the menu I was like Shocked Shocked Shocked and it was self service, not even waiter service. It would have been about 20 quid including a drink at that time. Ridiculous prices.

Good tip about the sarnie, pastry and drink deal at Au Pain D' Antan Very Happy

I do think that catered chalets are the way to go at the moment for maybe single travellers or those in a couple, with the Pound being how it is particularly if you can get a cheap late deal, because then you pay for all of the nosh upfront in Pounds, often you get unlimited wine with the evening meal too (well they have in the catered chalets I've been in so far-I presume that's pretty standard though). When you think how much you would pay in Euros to have the same amount/quality of food for breakfast/afternoon tea/3 or 4 course evening meal to the same standard if you went out each evening and had to pay local prices I mean.

Self catering can be also be cheap if there are enough people in the apartment to start with and they do a big shop before they get up the mountain say.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 9-02-09 1:12; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

You can get a large beer for 5 euros in some places outside the big ski factory resorts favoured by so many Brits.

And you can get a large beer for 3.5 to 4 Euros in some of the big ski factory resorts............ In Austria
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, I'm sure you're right. My next holiday is self-catering in a large French resort. With the benefit of hindsight, that was not the best decision ever. But it's not all bad - another snowHead will be collecting the rent! Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, ah well, a week's skiing is a week's skiing and you'll have a large area to enjoy Very Happy

Certainly interesting what marksovereign has said here:-

Quote:

That suggests to me that there should be some cracking late chalet deals about-just having a measly look around, there seems to be a fair bit of availablility about for March even in the slope side and resort centre accomodations. And conditions couldn't be better at the mo-lets hope it keeps on snowing and the pistes being topped up with it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, There is also the option of half board in a hotel - while free drinks with the meal are not particularly common, and usually limited to one beer or wine whe n they are available, you still have all your breakfast and evening meals paid for up front.

Personally, I have found single hotel rooms easier to come by at a reasonable price than single chalet rooms.
snow conditions
alex_heney, I've not stayed in a hotel before on my own, only a chalet hotel. True about the single rooms though. The single supplements can be very stingy. One thing I've never understood though is why, even when somewhere (chalet, chalethotel or hotel) has a single room available, why it has a single supplement. If there is only a single bed in there anyway then why should one pay a supplement-you can't get anyone else in there! Puzzled I've noticed this recently.
ski holidays
It is something I have alsays found annoying too, although all TOs have some hotels where there is no single supplement.

But if you look at the actual hotel websites and price lists, almost all of them charge more per person for a single room.

I suppose ancillary costs, such as electricity and cleaning are pretty much the same per room, rather than per occupant, so that would explain some of it.

£42 of the one I got for Ellmau is single supplement (£6 per night), which isn't too bad. And is less than the hotel's own charge, which works out at €11 per night.
ski holidays
alex_heney, from what I've gathered I think that Austrian hotels are more sensible with regards to this, just when I've had a look around on the resort direct websites and things. It seems that you might only pay say £5-20 more to have the room to yourself (even a twin room or double) instead of some French hotels which can be £40-60 more in supplements if you want a twin room or double to yourself.

Re Meribel-I found that the snack bar downstairs from the Rond Point-aptly named Le Petit Rond Point do quite a tasty deal on a large panini, chips and a drink. Think it's 11.50 Euros which, although quite pricey by UK standards, is not bad for Meribel. Lovely chips and very nice panini as well. In fact the panini on it's own would be adequate for lunch plus a slurp from your Camelbak. Laughing wink
snow conditions
Mark Warner don't charge a single supplement for their single rooms and some of their small doubles.
latest report
Met a guy in 3V last week who had rented a chalet in Meribel for the season with the hope of filling it and being happy with making 20k profit over the season. He now reckons he will be happy if he makes just a 20k LOSS. Shocked

Far and away the best value in 3V is in the bottom at Mottaret. 3 of us had burgers/chips with tap water for €20. Beer in happy hour was I think €2ish for 250ml. Ski instructor recommended very highly the restaurant at the bottom of the piste in St Martin as being the best value food on the hill, but I didn't try it.

I did get a bit fed up of porridge, bacon, eggs and beans for breakfast - For Goodness' Sake! - on holiday in France and eating English food!

Oh yes, and 3/4 days before the holiday left, there were loads of deals with no single supplement.
snow report
Just playing devil's advocate - the rents/rates that these places pay must be shocking. Plus they have to make their money in just 4 months of the year.
snow report
Hodders, same goes for those in Austria, Switzerland etc etc and the general consensus is that their prices are more reasonable

Meribel ski season is approx 5 months, but if you look at the official website, it markets itself as a summer destination too - as do most ski resorts these days
snow report
Quote:

I did get a bit fed up of porridge, bacon, eggs and beans for breakfast - For Goodness' Sake! - on holiday in France and eating English food!

Didn't they offer bread and jam?
ski holidays
there is a sandwich place in the Meribel valley that does hot individually prepared sandwiches using the best bread, cold meats and local cheeses they can get. They cost 3 -4.50 and are fantastic..... it isnt all rip off city in the 3V's but you have to look around a bit.

ps not saying where it is..... its that good. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
We're off to Morzine for next week, driving for the first time as on a budget.
Does anybody have any suggestions of cheap places to eat/drink both in resort and on the mountain?
I have already checked out happy hours and thanks to Whitters, from a previous thread
Quote:
"Buddha Bar in Morzine is selling Bud for €2.50 at Happy Hour from 5-7pm"
snow conditions
Llew, There is a good little informal burger bar on the main street roughly opposite the bottom of the pleney nursery area - can't remember the name though... A good lunch option if you find yourself back in the village.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy