Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
sps89, erm, we had instructors doing it down from the pro room Very Happy (made more interesting by the new "fall in reds, buy a jug" clause!) Guessing you had a session on it too tho - I have some wicked sequence shots from it but left my camera up the hill...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rogg wrote:
BCjohnny, hope it's both of us mate.

Course it will. Just set up a shrine for the Griz, and every night 'bout ten shoot your flintlock musket skywards.

John.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaveC wrote:
sps89, erm, we had instructors doing it down from the pro room Very Happy (made more interesting by the new "fall in reds, buy a jug" clause!) Guessing you had a session on it too tho - I have some wicked sequence shots from it but left my camera up the hill...

Fernie kinda sucks right now huh:(
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sps89 wrote:
DaveC wrote:

Fernie kinda sucks right now huh:(

I dunno, this is what we need long-term.

Weatherwise, it's rained for a couple of days and we now have a stable high pressure over us. Temps are just above 0. It's not typical Fernie pow, but it's allowed Patrol the time they need to get the mountain open - Curry Bowl opened for the first time this season yesterday. Stuff is skiable now, and we should be set up for some awesome days when the snow comes back.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC wrote:

I dunno, this is what we need long-term.

Weatherwise, it's rained for a couple of days and we now have a stable high pressure over us. Temps are just above 0. It's not typical Fernie pow, but it's allowed Patrol the time they need to get the mountain open - Curry Bowl opened for the first time this season yesterday. Stuff is skiable now, and we should be set up for some awesome days when the snow comes back.

Skiing has actually been ok for the last couple days imo. I was pretty lucky to be at rope drop at currie yesterday so got some tracks in there. Just skied upper mountain all day its still great skiing, Quite alot of snow distribution on the northern side becuase of the wind. Some SERIOUS wind.
Boomerang is looking way better and i was pretty pumped to ski KC shutes for the first time. Smile

if anyone is coming soon id say its not the best Fernie has been or will be but just another 20cm will fix everything and patrol should be able to open almost 100% up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cool, does that mean Cedar is open? Is Snake? I haven't skied since Friday (all day teaching Sat, resting my legs/hangover yesterday and today!)...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Counting down the days till I get there. Bought the lift tickets from Crystal today, £391 each for 13 days. RCR wouldn't give a penny off as Instructor discount, nor any multi-day discount. It worked out to £650 each if I bought the tickets in resort, thieving barstewards.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kind of sickening eh, a season pass would be cheaper than retail Sad How long 'till you're here Spyderman? Assuming this high pressure allows the snowpack to consolidate then we get a new storm system you might well time it perfectly for the "proper" season start!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveC, I arrive mid-afternoon 11th Feb. Staying in the Griz Inn for 2 weeks. I'm sure the Griz will do his work by then.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC wrote:
Cool, does that mean Cedar is open? Is Snake? I haven't skied since Friday (all day teaching Sat, resting my legs/hangover yesterday and today!)...

Cedar yes, but not snake. If you get a chance to ski tomorrow ski Boom asap. Its by far the best run i found all day. I think the wind blowing from skiers right must be dumping it into that area. Wicked snow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied lower Easter Bowl and Snake today (Steep and Deep). Snake is awful, as are most south facing aspects - north facing aspects are nice and soft, so Easter Bowl rocked. Went and checked out the Saddles from the bottom up - 1m ish crown running across the full chute, same deal in High Saddle, couldn't see Corner Pocket. Gonna be a few storm cycles till the Reverse Traverse opens. The fingers are apparently open, and quite nice. Heard second hand that the new side is soft at the top and runs like Heartland are nice, soft and fun, but I can never usually be bothered to go up the new side.

Lower mountain is a lot like spring - freezes overnight and gets softer and grippier as the day goes. Not spring slush yet though. I just got new pow skis, so that's pretty much the decider that we're due a storm. Fingers crossed. High pressure until at least Monday on the forecast.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveC wrote:
Skied lower Easter Bowl and Snake today (Steep and Deep). Snake is awful, as are most south facing aspects - north facing aspects are nice and soft, so Easter Bowl rocked. Went and checked out the Saddles from the bottom up - 1m ish crown running across the full chute, same deal in High Saddle, couldn't see Corner Pocket. Gonna be a few storm cycles till the Reverse Traverse opens. The fingers are apparently open, and quite nice. Heard second hand that the new side is soft at the top and runs like Heartland are nice, soft and fun, but I can never usually be bothered to go up the new side.

Lower mountain is a lot like spring - freezes overnight and gets softer and grippier as the day goes. Not spring slush yet though. I just got new pow skis, so that's pretty much the decider that we're due a storm. Fingers crossed. High pressure until at least Monday on the forecast.

Skied snake as well today. Red tree i think.

The fingers are open and to celebrate me and some buddies skied them back to back. That is pretty knackering. Nice snow up top though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How's it looking?

Groomed hardpack, mainly, according to FAR site. Rest mainly tracked out?

Most forecasts call snow Thurs/Fri this week, but by no means a dump. What the locals think?

Out tomorrow, probably late afternoon.

John.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
High pressure has been locked in all week, so it's basically spring conditions. Bumpy where it hasn't been groomed, not too hard off pisted bits though. It does look like we'll get snow before the weekend, but yeah - quantities unknown. Have a good trip!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We got a small flurry this morning, breaking the 15 day dry spell (Sad) - there's been a pretty funky inversion for the past 4 days which is just burning off now, hopefully to set up an arctic airflow and moisture patch for the weekend.

Finally got my SLR up the hill:

Lost Boys Cafe/Top of Timber

Top of Lower Heartland

Half way up White Pass

Knot Chutes

Looking into Currie

(I know, I know, hands higher)
ski holidays
Knot chutes are looking pretty bare this year!
snow report
DaveC you are making me seriously jealous. I arrived home yesterday after a month.

I still have my season pass.... i may return......

Kinda sucks that Fernie has had no snow for about 2 weeks now whilst the alps are getting puked on.
snow report
DaveC, I would be more worried about the womens goggles!!
ski holidays
Womens? It's all about the pink! Best goggles ever. Don't rip your eyes out like hi-yellow but work pretty much as well... plus, they look wicked cool Blush
snow report
DaveC, Can't be Fernie the sun is shining.

Less than 3 weeks for me. Very Happy

Hands higher, BTW wink
latest report
Weird season. We're back to Arctic air and it's below -20 today (and will be tomorrow, as I've been called off both days.)
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:
Weird season. We're back to Arctic air and it's below -20 today (and will be tomorrow, as I've been called off both days.)

Oh dear!! we seem to have put the Jonah's on the Fernie weather - we do that everywhere we go skiing rolling eyes

3 weeks tomorrow and we are on our way - 3 weeks +11 days for the next dump probably Sad
latest report
CP, I'll see you there. 11th Feb for me. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

3 weeks +11 days for the next dump probably

CP, Excellent, about the time we should arrive there, hopefully Madeye-Smiley
latest report
hope it dumps before then - only 9 days for me snowHead
snow conditions
Snowing Very Happy At least 2-3 inches on the road outside, could be knee deep already on the hill - we'll see!
latest report
Alright, so it's pretty windy up there, and there were a few 20cm~ deposits in gullies but generally either schrapled ice or windslab. Kind of dissapointing, had a good rip this morning though. Here's hoping this is the start of the snow...
latest report
DaveC, I just looked at the 15 day forecast, looks like snow almost every day. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, Yeah Shocked , just make sure you leave some when you leave Toofy Grin
snow report
Spyderman, what forecast are you looking at? just looked at accuweather and it appears to be above freezing with no snow.

i know it's a forecast and forecasts change, but this is my first and maybe only trip to NA so i'm starting to obsess a bit Laughing (like i don't over my europe trips)
ski holidays
DaveC,

OK have booked in little one for two half days ski and play family day weekend. Did request you, but girl said you don't work sundays, but she said she would bear it in mind!

Hopefully see you then!! Looks like loads of snowheads in town that weekend!! We should get 3 1/2 days sking in. Looks like snow is coming your way too!!

Gryph
latest report
gryphea, no worries Smile

As for the weather - super, super windy here and across all of BC. Hopefully some storm systems on the horizon...
snow report
DaveC,

We had those winds here on friday night. Couldn't really sleep because of them!!! But I guess you get the winds even worse whistling along the pass.

Gryph
snow conditions
Any update on the conditions?

Only 9 sleeps to go and I am worried there may be more snow here in blighty than in Fernie snowHead
ski holidays
CP, You could be right spent some time with a couple of guys from Fernie here in Kimberley today. They told me conditions here are better than Fernie plus we don;t get the avalanche danges or exceptionally high winds.
5cm +forecast for here tonight with another 10 for tomorrow Very Happy

www.ski-kimberley.com
snow report
Heh, I'm not gonna bother debating which is better between here and Kimberly! Anyway, wind's dropped, been pretty warm the last two days - very spring like. Same snow is forecast for here as Kimberly (if you're an optimist), and we have an actual mountain for it to fall on... oops Wink
ski holidays
DaveC, Is that the one thats usually closed cos of avalanche danger from all that wet wet snow and rain that rolls in Toofy Grin anyway between the two hills i think we usually get the best of BC only we don't get the lift lines here. It always makes me smile when I'm riding the lift with Fernie guys in Kimberley Blush
snow report
I sense mountain-envy Wink You must be a bit rattled, where's the hand typed link?
snow conditions
DaveC, Green and Blue Up early that morning? Did you get dressed in the Dark? Never mind hands forward look down the mountain.
snow report
I am. Figure hands are a bit exaggerated by the angle too. Cameraman was up on higher ground as I was about to drop over a lip (into Lower Heartland, camera stood where the uphill bank of the 100% traverse is, for Fernie peeps).

I can ski well enough for the green and blue, thanks Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy