Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
Figured I'd start a new thread rather than tagging stuff into the BC stoke thread. This is a good indicator of how bored I am today! Right now, we have probably as much man-made as natural snow, the Bear chair opened today meaning everything but Cedar Bowl is technically open (so Boomerang and Haul Back). However, the Timber side is very limited, and rocky. The beginner terrain is fine besides alders popping through, so Elk and Deer are pretty much operating as normal.

The big thing at the moment is the cold - We've had a week of pretty much unrelenting >-20. Couple of days of near -40. It's actually too cold to snow - the air can't hold moisture, and clouds break up. Weird having bluebird days here, and kind of sucks. We haven't actually had a proper storm hit yet. Until it does, the challenging terrain isn't skiable. No proper (multiple day, Fernie standard) storms on the short term forecast either...

It's not all that bad though, I've been training all week so my free skiing time has been limited anyway. Just really needing a storm!

Useful links:
Fernie and surrounding area Avalanche Bulletins
FAR mountain weather forecast

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-12-08 1:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC,

Cheers for a good honest report. Lets hope u get some dumpage Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is the Griz gonna do his stuff soon? What is on the radar?? I can understand what you mean about it being too cold. That Arctic air seems to be fending off any real storm activity. I see it forecast to warm a bit and the forecasts hint at more precipitation. Got a litlle over a month to go til we head out there. Need some of those plus 20 cm days to hit. Anyone know any Sad more??????
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best forecast for Fernie is http://www.skifernie.com/conditions/alpineweather.aspx - suprising really, but it seems to be spin-free. Usually reasonably accurate too. It's not really worth worrying about, Fernie is pretty much it's own micro-climate so dumps can quite often appear out of nowhere. It'll come - seasonal averages usually get met sooner or later Very Happy

BTW, if anyone wants to know anything about Fernie feel free to drop me a PM - unfortunately I don't think I can hook up people with cheap lift tickets though. Definitely hit me up for anything ski school related, we have some wicked courses that are well worth looking into - the Steep and Deep camp is great given our terrain imo.[/pimp]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks DaveC. I am a bit of a weather watcher living on the Atlantic scoping out surf. Gradually getting to learn the nuances of NW Pacific patterns. Let's hope that Fernie magic gets unleashed. Europe has had a fairytale start to the season. Far surpassing last years vintage. I hope heading west instead of east pans out. Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Puking big fat chunky flakes - looks like my first proper pow day will be a Christmas present Very Happy hopefully this will keep up, not sure of the forecast but it's not been so accurate lately. Anyway, full opening now, a cm or so each night has helped fill in the runs that get groomed. Alders poking through most places tho, but it's perking up here.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey DaveC. Happy Christmas to you. Been watching various forecasts avidly and though there aren't any 20 cm days in the crosshairs a steady stream of snow is coming over the next 10 - 14 days as the air warms a bit. Despite the base being a quarter last years average I suppose the next week or so may see some catch up. Have a good day up there. Hopefully it will be good in 28 days when it will be me coming down those slopes.

Dreckly

Pablo Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is looking like one of the normal ninja pow days - it's not unusual to wake up to a foot of snow on the ground after 1-2cm forecast. I have big plans to season around the world but I'm already thinking of being here next year, even with the snow sucking Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveC, lucky b*stard! Merry Christmas wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, Thanks for the reports - we are due out in February - so keep em coming.

Cheers and enjoy the day snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In heading to Fernie on the 28th, hope the snow picks up a bit before then.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, boot deep on the groomers, waist deep in a few spots in Cedar that've been closed for a while - lots of stuff lurking though so the deep isn't the safe. Awesome day, I'm totally worked from skiing open to shut. Christmas dinner and an early night for me - it's still puking snow Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the update Dave C. The forecast show light snow all week. Hopefully this turns into more ample helpings. Nice to see the base getting thicker. Things will hopefully get better.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, so there's something about Snowheads visiting Fernie. Fatbob's in town today, and it's been puking for pretty much the last 48 hours. Big fat flakes nuking down today... and I'm teaching 3 year olds all day Sad

Anyway, another 20cm+ day and it's still coming...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, Keep it coming till I get there. Very Happy
snow conditions
Good to see that The Griz is back. Things are looking up. For any weather watchers out there here is a good surf site that shows the weather systems coming across the Pacific at the West Coast. The main thing that has changed since to cold spell / drought is that the high pressure NE of Hawaii has moved south. Previously this high was further north and was deflecting weather systems down the coast thus not penetrating BC too much. Now the flow is more SW and moist air / lows are hitting inland BC. Is this the "Pineapple Express" mechanism that I heard about when I was there?

Anyway it seems like a pretty frequent sequence of weather systems are on the way. Little Angel

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display_alt.cgi?a=npac_slp
ski holidays
Balls deep today in places off whitepass & most of the alpine still not open so plenty of goodies for tomorrow still. wink
snow report
Hmm...not that awesome today - i called it and got my pass refunded at about 11.30 as only Deer & the (not very) Mighty Elk were open. Believe Bear may have been open later but only the ridge as apparently a natural release into Lizzard ran down to the cat track toward the bottom. 20cm of wet warm snow on top of yesterday's blower - here's hoping it stabilises overnight.

The wet stuff will be setting up a good base though now.
snow report
I'm not sure it'll stabilise overnight - it's absolutely lethal right now. Overhead a bit of patroller chatter on morning session Shocked . It was +3 on the hill today, super moist snow - I was drenched. Eventually this new snowfall will consolidate, and be good for filling in the gaps in the snowpack - but until the current surface hoar/fluff/slush layers bond it's gonna be crazy slow getting anything safe.
snow report
Useful link btw: http://www.avalanche.ca/CAC_Bulletin_Forecast?RegionID=5. I'll edit it and the Mountain forecast into the top post.
ski holidays
Fernie F**ked.

Woke up to this story on CBC

Very sad

RCMP report
December 28, 2008

FERNIE AVALANCHE BURIES SNOWMOBILERS

Fernie: Two avalanches in the mountains outside Fernie has left eight snowmobilers unaccounted for.

The incident took place when some members from a group of seven snowmobilers were buried by an avalanche in the Harvey Pass area – a popular backcountry snowmobile destination located about 40 Km south of Fernie. A second group of four snowmobilers heard yelling from the area and came to the aid of members from the first group who were in the process of digging out their fellow riders. The newly formed group was able to locate one rider, but as they were digging him out at a depth of about three meters a second avalanche came down and buried the entire group. All of them were wearing avalanche beacons.

Two of the buried riders managed to self-rescue within about 20 minutes. These two used their avalanche beacons to locate a third buried victim who they rescued after an additional 20 minutes of digging.

The surviving group of three assessed the slope stability and their surroundings. They were located in a large bowl with massive cornices ready to come down. Based on their risk assessment of the possibility of a third avalanche, they began walking out. Eight snowmobilers are now unaccounted for. All 11 snowmobilers involved are males from the nearby town of Sparwood.

The Provincial Emergency Program was notified about the event at approximately 2:30 PM (Mountain Time) when automated distress calls were received from communications devices worn by the snowmobilers. A helicopter was quickly dispatched to the scene that picked up two of the three survivors. The third survivor was transported by ground with the assistance of Fernie Search and Rescue personnel. The three sustained minor injuries. One will be held in hospital for observation overnight.

A command post was established at the road access point to the scene, but due to the obvious avalanche hazard and growing darkness, the search for survivors had to be postponed until morning.

Approximately 70 CM of new snow has fallen in the mountains surrounding Fernie over the past few days. The Canadian Avalanche Centre is describing the avalanche hazard in this area as “high”. A plan is currently being developed that will involve establishing increased slope stability at the avalanche site before the search can resume at first light.

RCMP resources from Elk Valley Detachment and E Division are working with Fernie Search and Rescue and Provincial Emergency Program officials to assist with the search. RCMP avalanche trained police dogs are currently en-route to the scene.

The families of the missing snowmobilers have been notified about this tragedy. No further information will be released at this time. Additional information will be released on Monday. Please monitor www.bc-rcmp.ca for information about a media availability in the Fernie area.
latest report
Jesus. Crazy Fitzwilliams being in the backcountry... awful news. I lent my buddy who's working today my beacon, I figure this is as good a day as any to rest my legs...
latest report
Skied Fernie today and ALOT of it was closed due to avalanche danger, none of the upper blacks were open and because of that the easy blues were super tracked out which made it VERY difficult to ski. I could hear ava control going on all day so hopefully were get some gradual snow to fill in the patchy areas and a few more pistes are open tomo. Skiied a blue Morning Glory today at around 2 and it was almost impossible for me. 10x harder than any black ive skied, really bad condition.

Lift lines were a bit long to day as well http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif
snow report
Yep, it's bad times until the upper mountain is re-opened - this is the busiest week of the season.

sps89, did you ski the trees of Morning Glory or just the small cat track that meets Falling Star? Keep in mind that Fernie's Green/Blue/Black is pretty much France's Blue/Red/Black. Bumped out runs are going to be hard work with the crowds and limited availability. Weirdly, I'm crossing my fingers for no snow for a couple of days.

As for the snowmobilers, 6 bodies of the 8 missing have been recovered Sad
snow report
Hi

Can I ask a question here about the Fernie lift pass as the web site seems to be a bit shy about the cost of multi day passes?

How much is a 10 day pass for and adult and a youth of 13?

Are there any free days available?

TIA
latest report
CP, Last time I went there were no discounts for multiday passes
latest report
After my epic trip to Fernie last year I've found myself clicking regularly on this season's thread.

It's interesting to read again about
sps89 wrote:
Lift lines were long today

nbt wrote:
no discounts for multiday passes

These are unfortunately two of the reasons why I won't be going back.
snow report
hd wrote:
After my epic trip to Fernie last year I've found myself clicking regularly on this season's thread.

It's interesting to read again about
sps89 wrote:
Lift lines were long today

nbt wrote:
no discounts for multiday passes

These are unfortunately two of the reasons why I won't be going back.

Yep, pass prices suck. It's bad when you end up considerng a season pass for a >8 day stay.

Lift lines I don't know though - right now the queues are long because nearly all the mountain is shut, which is due to the last storm system\resulting snowpack and this being historically Fernie's busiest week. Similar thing happened while HD was here - we had a terrible snowpack all of last year (this year's should heal in a few weeks), and it dumped constantly making getting terrain open harder, and the insane snow had people coming from all of BC.

It wasn't as bad as this last year - we kind of have a perfect storm for a shitty guest experience at the moment - busiest week and not able to even get Bear and Timber spinning is about the worst it can be here. I think in a week it'll of sorted itself out though, and this snow will do good long term. Besides peak holiday time when we get invaded, and weekends when it perks up, it's pretty quiet here. No comparison to places I've been in the Alps where every lift involved a 10min queue.

Anyway, it puked a pretty solid 20cm of high moisture content snow again last night, and I'm staying off the hill today since I can't imagine more wet snow was the solution Patrol needed to get stuff back open, plus it's my last day off for a while so I'm trying to let my body recover!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, 10 days at $79.95 almost makes my eyes water Sad
snow conditions
I get the feeling an earlybird season pass was $800 Sad Really is a bit over the top - but I guess RCR's aim is to gouge Calgary rather than worry about everyone else.
snow report
Lift passes come to $83.95 with tax easily the most expensive I've found on my trip & no discounts for closed terrain. RCR are scum sucking vampires who think they've got a hill they can price up with the likes of Vail & Jackson Hole. (not when you're only runining 4 or 5 lifts you shouldn't).

Whitefish today - all terrain open & relatively cheap lift passes - practically everyone I talked to was from Calgary - guess a lot of RCR's target market drives right past Fernie for better value.
ski holidays
sps89, Falling Star was complete carnage yesterday - I skied it 3 times for kicks but it was almost impossible to avoid buzzing people at the choke points as the traffic was redonculous. Don't feel bad about it just rent fatter skis. wink

If you want fun try the mainly alder & spruce run that is Upper Kodiak wink
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
guess a lot of RCR's target market drives right past Fernie for better value when Fernie is essentially shut

Might be more accurate Wink
ski holidays
CP wrote:
DaveC, 10 days at $79.95 almost makes my eyes water Sad

Earlybird booking with Inghams, May 08, brought mine in at a shade over £300 (can$540ish), buy 10 days get 3 for nowt. Shade over forty bucks a day. Seems like it may not have been the worst decision I've made this year.

Might even be able to take the loony downtown to get a pint with the coin saved..............

John.
ski holidays
i'm looking at booking in the next couple of days - crystal do a 10 day pass for £284, which i'll go for.

i'm kind of being slightly put off by all this talk of a closed mountain though!!! i assume this is not the normal state of affairs {looks for reassurance} Laughing

a quick question for you more experienced/local guys - i'm thinking of heading out in early feb. assuming that weather conditions there return to 'normal' will the layer of wetter snow in the snowpack be a long term problem? {again looks for reassurance}
latest report
rogg wrote:
i'm looking at booking in the next couple of days - crystal do a 10 day pass for £284, which i'll go for.

i'm kind of being slightly put off by all this talk of a closed mountain though!!! i assume this is not the normal state of affairs {looks for reassurance} Laughing

a quick question for you more experienced/local guys - i'm thinking of heading out in early feb. assuming that weather conditions there return to 'normal' will the layer of wetter snow in the snowpack be a long term problem? {again looks for reassurance}

Its snowing ALOT in fernie over the next couple of days, i really wouldnt worry about that, the only reason so much is closed isnt becuase of coverage its avalanche danger, we had 70cm in 48 hrs so untill ski patrol get that sorted not much will be open, fingers crossed a few more runs will be open today but im not sure when currie will open again.

Im skiing in about 2 hrs time so ill report back at the end of the day.

fatbob, i here you man, its not easy when its so nusy but most go back to work next week 4/5th.
snow report
well i just booked, so i'm there from the 4th of feb for 10 days. fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Coming out late Jan for a couple of weeks, Wolf's Den (2nd year running), so many, many thanks for the real time, real world reports.

Keep 'em coming.

John.
snow conditions
BCjohnny wrote:

Earlybird booking with Inghams, May 08, brought mine in at a shade over £300 (can$540ish), buy 10 days get 3 for nowt. Shade over forty bucks a day. Seems like it may not have been the worst decision I've made this year.

Might even be able to take the loony downtown to get a pint with the coin saved..............

John.

Thanks for the steer - We are also with Inghams booked through an Earlybird 'deal' - so I contacted them and have just bought our passes at a much better rate and with 2 days free on an 8 day pass.

Now I am happy snowHead
ski holidays
CP wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:

John.

Thanks for the steer - We are also with Inghams booked through an Earlybird 'deal' - so I contacted them and have just bought our passes at a much better rate and with 2 days free on an 8 day pass.

Now I am happy snowHead

No problem. Glad to be of help. Hope you enjoy the Griz's abundance as much as I do snowHead .

John.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy