Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

tell me about leg muscles..

Poster: A snowHead
OK - so this year I've swapped gym work for cycling. I've been cycling on my mountain bike - lots of hills etc. 3 x week, 15miles on average each time. So when I went skiing last weekend I was surprised to feel my 'outside' thigh muscles aching - sort of where the seam in your jeans is. I've never had this problem before, so (apart from telling me I'm a bad skier) am I not doing enough exercise or should I be going back to the gym as well?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's your "stabiliser" muscles: abductors and adductors (outer & inner thigh).

These aren't really conditioned through cycling so you'll have to get to the gym as well.

Try doing one legged squats/lunges, wobble board etc...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do a lot of mountain biking too. It certainly prepares you in terms of aerobic fitness (it's far harder than recreational skiing in this respect), but it doesn't use exactly the same leg muscles. I've been training on the Skier's Edge machine for the last month, so I'll see how that helps next week. Those outside thigh muscles you mention feel stronger, so I hope it's working.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wot danjunk says.

There is also a machine in the gym which works the abductors/adductors - very un-ladylike though wink . Also see this exercise on the power plate http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44662#1083982 - can also be done on a bosu instead of power plate
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy wrote:
Wot danjunk says.

There is also a machine in the gym which works the abductors/adductors - very un-ladylike though wink .

The ones in my local gym face the wall for decency Very Happy Shocked Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As do the machines at our loacl gym PisteHead, plus there is a mirror so you can see if people are creeping up on you when you are in a compromising position! Blush Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some time on a wave machine will help build these muscles and will maintain your cardio levels.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, you can also do activities on the cable machine, just ask a gym instructor to show you how to work on abductors/adductors, these are especially beneficial as i find they work on core stability and balance as well
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think erica2004 might be describing her ITBs (which do get tight from cycling unless you mix it with other things.) If so, some foam roller action (and the attendant agony) may be called for.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, anything but pilates Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, The basic leg exercises I do are

1) Leg extensions for quads(front of thighs). Don't fully extend the leg or lock out the knee.

2) Leg curls for hamstrings(back of thighs)

3) Adductor and abductor strengthening using the machine where you sit down.

4) The stepper seems to work aswell so long as I stand upright so as to not support my weight on the handle bars and push down hard with each leg. I don't fully extend the leg because it might be potentially damaging.

I also do squats with light weights for muscle endurance.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PisteHead wrote:
cathy wrote:
Wot danjunk says.

There is also a machine in the gym which works the abductors/adductors - very un-ladylike though wink .

The ones in my local gym face the wall for decency Very Happy Shocked Embarassed

The ones in my old gym didn't - and faced where all the free weights & benches were Shocked . I had to pick the right time to use it! Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
I think erica2004 might be describing her ITBs (which do get tight from cycling unless you mix it with other things.)

ITBs?? Not a muscle group, but a syndrome.

ITBs usually manifests itself as a sharp pain, not an ache.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks - I used to do the adductor/abductor/squats in the gym so I must make sure I do these again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rowing works my abductors - and how...ouch!
snow report
Hurtle, gosh, I can't quite see how. Confused

cathy, in my gym, it's only ladies who use the abd/add machines - and me. Shocked

uktrailmonster, how many turns do you do on the skier's edge? If I have time, I do ten sets of 200 (interspersed with beating the cr@p out of my punch bag).
snow conditions
laundryman, I don't count turns, I only measure time. I usually do 2 or 3 stints of 10 mins, varying intensity as I feel like. Also got a Concept Rower and bike machine, but they see less action approaching ski season. Been ramping up my time on the skier's edge over the last 6 weeks. Not been out much on the mountain bike due to weather and work. Off for some real snow action at the weekend Smile
ski holidays
[quote="laundryman"]Hurtle, gosh, I can't quite see how. Confused

quote]

How? rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

ITBs?? Not a muscle group, but a syndrome

I beg to differ, there is the Tensor Fascia Lata muscle at the top. ITB pain can be brought on by intensifying activity load either through hillwork or increased pace on the flat. erica2004, when did your outer thigh ache make itself apparent - while you were skiing, evening or next morning?
latest report
Martin Nicholas, Whilst I was skiing and the muscles were then sore to touch in the evening. It did get easier over a few days. I think I just mucked up my pre-skiing exercises. The muscles that were sore are were in the midway point between my hip and knee.
ski holidays
laundryman,
Quote:

I can't quite see how.

As RandomSkier said on another thread, it's like doing masses of squats. Quads, hamstrings, calf muscles, abductors and glutes, it feels as though it's working them all. But not particularly the adductors, I don't think, at least it doesn't feel like it, or maybe a bit, RandomSkier would know better.
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Quote:

ITBs?? Not a muscle group, but a syndrome

I beg to differ, there is the Tensor Fascia Lata muscle at the top.

ITBs stands for Iliotibial band syndrome and therefore not a muscle group but a syndrome.

I agree that the illotibial band is tissue attached to the Tensor Fascia Lata muscle, but not sure why you beg to differ from the initial statement??
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Rowing works my abductors - and how...ouch!

Aren't we talking about the muscles that moves our legs left and right, when viewed from a standing position?
latest report
Yes, I can't think how rowing would particularly work the abductors either, not unless you fail to have both legs parallel. You don't necessarily need a machine. I just stand up and raise one leg up sideways, then lift it from a lifted position. So it works the abductor AND gives a good balance workout. If it starts to seem too easy, do it with your eyes closed.

And a roller on that ITB is very good too. I found some very sore spots initially, but they've now gone, after a bit of rolling. The ITB is defined on an orthopaedic website as follows:

[i]The iliotibial band begins at the hip and extends to the outer side of the shin bone (tibia) just below the knee joint. The band functions in coordination with several of the thigh muscles to provide stability to the outside of the knee joint.[i]
snow conditions
danjunk, ITBs is Iliotibial bands(plural), not to be confused with ITBS(syndrome)
ski holidays
Maybe these pictures will help .....

http://www.builtreport.com/platz/026.jpg

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9005
snow report
DB, i didnt reallise there wre so many pictures of me on the internet Laughing
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Maybe these pictures will help .....

http://www.builtreport.com/platz/026.jpg

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9005

that's horrid - yuk
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The width of his thighs are certainly going to cause inner tip lead.
latest report
id be more concerned about chafing Embarassed
snow report
it's debatable whether it is possible to stretch the ITB or not, but it would be worth attempting to stretch TFL and glut max (which attach to the ITB), and quads and hamstrings - you can find some stretches online. also, try massaging along the length of the ITB at the outside of your thigh, and trigger pointing (find the most painful spots and apply pressure with your thumb until the pain eases off). apply an ice pack after cycling too. also, if you have pronated (flat feet), that can put more stress on the ITB so some orthotics for arch support could help. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy