Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Power Plate and Ski fitness

Poster: A snowHead
My gym has a Power Plate, the vibrating platform. It is recommended for ski fitness but so far I have not used it. Anyone got any experience of it?
Mick
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes - I used it last year. It is pretty good & recommended for all sorts, not just ski fitness. Get an instructor to show you what to do - I used to do squats, 1-legged squats, holding a static squat. Ouch - I'm hurting just remembering it! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got one at home. It's not the answer on its own, but it definitely helps to turn a routine into a PUNISHING routine...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FastEddie, don't tell Nade you've got one of those at home..... wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They have 6 of them at my gym (Virgin, Chelmsford) but I have never given them a second glance. How do they work? Or more importantly, perhaps, why do they work?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker, ask an instructor there. I think they work your muscles harder because of the vibrations so your mucles are constantly working. Plus there's a balance thing going on if you're stood on one leg, on a shaking floor, going up and down....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely (warning possible sexist comment-look away now) they are mostly used by women to stand on and pretend that they are doing proper exercise. Most blokes don't seem to go near them & therefore they are bit like that hip conditioner machine that never gets the weight set above 20kg.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, have you used one? They most certainly are not an easy option, especially on the fastest vibrate. If you're going to be doing things like squats anyway, using one of these makes it harder. As SupervibratingEddie says, it's not an answer in itself though
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Surely (warning possible sexist comment-look away now) they are mostly used by women to stand on and pretend that they are doing proper exercise.

Oh they are exercising, exercising things and places most men fear to venture. Bet those women you think are not exercising are smiling broadly Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't go in the gym anyway I just stand round outside the glass display window having a perve wink .

I can believe they work when used properly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, there's a "bloke" in our gym who never leaves the dressing room. I was so naive I'd never even realised until my daughter's boyfriend (who worked there) mentioned it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy wrote:
fatbob, have you used one? They most certainly are not an easy option, especially on the fastest vibrate. If you're going to be doing things like squats anyway, using one of these makes it harder.

Cathy, can we get back to the Power Plate please Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bar shaker, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker, Laughing Laughing Laughing
Power Plate is excellent to enhance squats, also - as per a tip gleaned from Kramer on another thread - for simulating press-ups, which I can't do. Get into press-up position ie straight body and bent elbows and hold. Ow, ow, ow, it works!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just started using one... Feels utterly bizarre standing there like a lemon on what feels like the basterd son of Slendertone and a fairground ride...

The jury is still out as far I'm i'm concerned, but I try to a bit of everything for ski fitness
snow conditions
bar shaker (or should that be Power Plate Body Shaker wink ) Laughing Laughing

Mind you I do see people not turning the machine on and just doing squats holding onto the bars - that's cheating!
snow report
I got one at home a while ago. Did the recommended 10 mins, various positions etc etc. Thought to myself, that was easy - must do more next time. Following morning had to roll out of bed onto all fours to get up rolling eyes Yes, it works Toofy Grin
latest report
Schuss in Boots wrote:
I got one at home a while ago. Did the recommended 10 mins, various positions etc etc. Thought to myself, that was easy - must do more next time.

Did Mr. Schuss feel 10mins was too long?

Quote:

Following morning had to roll out of bed onto all fours to get up rolling eyes

Interesting. Cool
ski holidays
comprex, Embarassed (mental note to self... read posts back to yourself out loud before pushing submit... ) rolling eyes
ski holidays
My Missus uses one a couple of times a week combined with other fitness routines. Apparently the P/plate was designed by NASA for astronauts and the Man U squad use them. Puzzled
d
snow conditions
Downhilldan wrote:
My Missus uses one a couple of times a week combined with other fitness routines.

Oh yeah, believe it, especially when you have gone to work Toofy Grin
snow report
My trainer did some exercises with me on Monday, that I'm still hobbling from!

With one foot in the middle of the power plate, tap the other foot out to the side on the floor and then bring that foot round the back to the other side and tap on the floor, about level with the foot that's on the power plate.

With one foot on the power plate, tap one leg behind on the floor and then bring it up and fold it across the other knee and squat.

We did 30 secs on each leg for each exercise on the lowest settings, 2 repetitions, all done quite slowly, holding on to the bars. Ouch!!! I bet he's going to up the settings next week!

Also did squats and lunges on the bosu.

And this was my 5th week back in the gym, so I shouldn't have been totally unfit ..... Toofy Grin
snow report
cathy, I love the power plate too - although it feels as if it is rattling your brains out sometimes Skullie The last 2 times I was at the gym, the same man was using one for the entire 1.75hrs I was there Shocked Maybe he's taken up residence Confused
ski holidays
genepi wrote:
cathy,The last 2 times I was at the gym, the same man was using one for the entire 1.75hrs I was there Shocked Maybe he's taken up residence Confused

Bad Gym Etiquette! I would ask to 'work in' and if he gives you any attitude have a word with the staff...
ski holidays
red 27, There are several of the power plates, so he didnt stop me using one. I was just stunned at his stamina
snow conditions
genepi, gotcha... bet all his fillings fell out Laughing
latest report
I don't get this powerplate thingy. I really don't. If it was as good as it is - and as fast as it is said - wouldn't pros use it too?
ski holidays
Quote:

wouldn't pros use it too

They do these days
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am quite found of the massaging effects on the legs although when doing my inner thighs my friend said to me "Exactly where does it state your supposed to S**g the machine" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
Helen LS, but then where does it state that you're not? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
genepi wrote:
The last 2 times I was at the gym, the same man was using one for the entire 1.75hrs I was there Shocked

Shocked Shocked OMG - he must have thighs of steel!
snow report
cathy, easy there girl...
snow report
red 27, I thought as I was typing it that might come across as a bit over-eager wink
latest report
cathy, I did an odd-feeling powerplate thing t'other day - called a 'pelvic bridge', you lie on your back with you feet up on the PP and lift your hips up so that your body is in a straight line from shoulders to knees. Works the glutes (bum in old money) and hamstrings... Working the latter is a bit of an obsession of mine as my dodgy knee means that regular curls and stuff are out, and I've read that relatively weak hamstrings are a factor in serious skiing-realted knee injuries.

Felt that for a days after, which to me is the sign it worked.
snow report
Saw one used on 'the gadget show' so I gave it a go at the gym as my skiing season starts next week and good intentions to get fit in readiness have been left too late. The pp certainly hit the right places & quickly but it also rattles my brain which I would like to preserve some neurons to destroy with alcohol. rolling eyes Will it accelerate joint wear Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

The pp certainly hit the right places & quickly but it also rattles my brain which I would like to preserve some neurons to destroy with alcohol. Will it accelerate joint wear ?

What, the alcohol? Yes, probably. wink
snow conditions
I have been using the powerplate for 3 weeks now and I like it a lot.
- It is low impact.
- It builds up general muscle bulk.
- It saves time in the gym so you can do other stuff (I do a lot of core exercise and step machines as well).
I am going skiing in the next week (woo-hoo Val D'Isere here I come) and i'll let you know whether it transfers into slope fitness (an entirely different animal to gym fitness).
Mick
ski holidays
penster, would be really interested to know what your Power Plate programme is, especially if it works! Have a great time (even if it doesn't!)
snow report
It's really good for doing crunches on, with your feet hooked under the handles. Really burns after 30 seconds.

I use it for warming up and then core work at the end of my workout.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
penster, would be really interested to know what your Power Plate programme is, especially if it works! Have a great time (even if it doesn't!)

I think the powerplate is very good for building up general muscle bulk. I mix it with general gym stuff (stretching, core exercises, step machine, rowing) and cycling.
I am less sure that it translates into 'useful muscle on the slopes'.
I am sufficiently sold on it that I am going to keep using it.
Mick
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy