Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not Eating And Drinking In France?

Poster: A snowHead
Can there be any space left on the Moral high ground ? Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got some space left for religious and/or political commentary.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexandra, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1103754#1103754 wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eating out when we're on holiday is part of our planned "us" time to make up for the fact that Mr HH works long days six days a week for the rest of the year. We'll still be eating out this year but are already planning how to make the cash go further. I do recall inadvertantly spending 18 euros on a glass of wine in Val T last year Shocked Shocked Shocked ...£18 a glass, I don't think so!! So we'll most certainly be popping into the supermarket on the way down and will be doing our pre-dinner drinks tucked up in our hotel room.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alexandra wrote:
It really does surprise me that most of you believe the "ignorant greedy froggies" to be the basis of your economic woes.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I can't see a lot of blame being aimed at "ignorant greedy froggies". Just a number of people describing how they are going to respond to the relative increase in prices of about 30% because of a lower value £ to the €. Can't see there much need to turn the discussion into nationality bashing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar,

I thought exactly the same!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
Alexandra wrote:
It really does surprise me that most of you believe the "ignorant greedy froggies" to be the basis of your economic woes.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I can't see a lot of blame being aimed at "ignorant greedy froggies". Just a number of people describing how they are going to respond to the relative increase in prices of about 30% because of a lower value £ to the €. Can't see there much need to turn the discussion into nationality bashing.

Really? I read quite a few "oh they'll have to drop their prices for us poor boohoo brits, it's not fair" At one point I closed my eyes and I was quite sure I could hear the sound of tiny fists beating upon the ground.

Edit: I'm British but thankfully have lived abroad long enough to be able to make sweeping statements which completely engulf the usual levels of ignorance shown by the British populus. I hope this helps clarify the matter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alexandra, can you point that out? I see a lot of people saying, me included, that 'it will be more expensive this year, so this is what I'm going to do'. More matter of fact that blaming greedy tourist industry.

If you can hear tiny fists being beaten on the ground I suggest you have a look outside the window to see if there are naughty children out there rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alexandra,
Quote:

I'm British but thankfully have lived abroad long enough to be able to make sweeping statements which completely engulf the usual levels of ignorance shown by the British populus. I hope this helps clarify the matter.

Your attitude is crystal clear, thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexandra wrote:
It really does surprise me that most of you believe the "ignorant greedy froggies" to be the basis of your economic woes. The French, Germans, Dutch, Austrians et al who ski les trois vallees this winter won't give a flying eff about your sterling. I for one get paid in europe, prices are slightly higher than normal - but I'm LOVING shopping in the UK. Thanks. Razz

Sterling is WEAK - why are the British so quick to blame outside influences?

How many "Europes" are there to the pound?

Austrians in the ski industry are bothered about sterling as it affects their business. As France draws a much higher percentage of its ski business from the UK I'd say the French ski industry is also concerned.

Alexandra wrote:
PS - This is going to seem like nonsense to many, but did you know it's actually physically possible NOT to get blotted every night of your holiday and/or your every day life? That going 7 days without alcohol won't actually kill you?

OK if we stop drinking will your lot stop going on strike every five minutes?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I been to Espace Killy before, and even though i earn my moneys in euros, I found the prices insane. Now there would be some justice if only they also offered quality, but no... clean lavatories... no. Lavatories from the 20th century... no. FREE lavatories for paying guests... no!

At those prices and quality I find picknicking in a "teleski dificile" (oh so very difficult poma) quite comfortable and pleasant Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will I be spending more £'s when I go to France this year (food/drink)? Maybe a little, but I'll pretty much stick to my original budget and just drink / eat more modestly, probably spend more time in the chalet and less in the bars.

Will the local bars/restaurants be getting less €'s from me ? Yes, almost certainly.

So I lose out on a bit of over indulgence and the locals will lose out in the pocket. There are no winners.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alexandra wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Alexandra wrote:

Really? I read quite a few "oh they'll have to drop their prices for us poor boohoo brits, it's not fair" At one point I closed my eyes and I was quite sure I could hear the sound of tiny fists beating upon the ground.

Perhaps you could point out even one of those "quite a few" then?

Quote:

Edit: I'm British but thankfully have lived abroad long enough to be able to make sweeping statements which completely engulf the usual levels of ignorance shown by the British populus. I hope this helps clarify the matter.

I suspect that first sentence does not say what you actually intended to say.

But it does seem to be correct NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

stop getting so pished

But then I'll realise what I've just paid for a meal Shocked When I've had a few I just assume the bill is in Francs and divide by 10 like I always used to and come out feeling happy at how cheap it was.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Normally we are a group of 6ish, so all do a couple of meals each as a pair. i always stuff my luggage full of curry sauces, tacho kits etc so we can cook up a storm when in resorts so only need to buy the basics. Also do a big shop down in the Valley on the way up, its always way cheaper down there where the real people live!
ski holidays
Alexandra wrote:
Edit: I'm British but thankfully have lived abroad long enough to be able to make sweeping statements which completely engulf the usual levels of ignorance shown by the British populus.

Shocked I doubt you're missed...
snow report
>> taking probably sugar, flour

Isn't that going over the top a bit? I don't know what it costs to drive a kilo of flour 1,000 miles, but I'd guess it's not nothing.

Likewise the coke; why not drink aqua tap?
ski holidays
Quote:

curry sauces, tacho kits

Oh dear, oh dear. rolling eyes Laughing

If you're self catering you will find that food here really isn't particularly expensive. How do you think the rest of us manage to eat?
snow report
Lizzard, have you ever tried shopping in somewhere like Tignes - its outrageous.

PS nothing wrong with cooking kits - better than alot of awful french food you get in resort.
snow conditions
Quote:

nothing wrong with cooking kits

Apart from the salt and fat levels, the chemical garbage and the price you mean?

Quote:

better than alot of awful french food you get in resort.

You are a loony. Laughing
snow report
I like salt and fat when I am skiing, need to replenish after a long day in the backcountry wink
snow conditions
The tourist industry in the Tarentaise mega resorts need a lesson. Euros or £, the prices are now insulting.
This frenchman says : hit them and hit them hard.
Now, cutting off the booze would be sensible too.
snow conditions
philippeR, true. I did point out earlier that there is really no need to frequent the most expensive resorts you can find.
snow conditions
Certainly when driving we always stop at Albertville to shop rather than in resort. If time, we also pop into Tesco's in Calais for a wine box or 6
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

We buy rounds of drinks so cheaply in our sailing club that pub prices are always a shock

I'm with you there...we can afford to be generous at the sailing club and buy large rounds...in a pub it's enough to make your eyes water.

Just out of interest and entirely off topic..which sailing club? I wonder if it's the same one...we're at ESSC.

With regards to spending less in the resort...I'm trying to be phelgmatic....at least I won't have to bash the brain cells trying to work out how much everything costs in pounds...a 1:1 exchange makes everything so much easier wink

I'm on holiday...I'm not going to winge about the cost of everything...if I was really worried I'd never get over the couple of k on a weeks holiday anyway...not when I compare it to what I could be spending it on....refurbing the house/boat/ or any number of things that will go on much longer than my week on the snow. But what price fun?

Hang the cost for tomorrow we may die.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
philippeR, true. I did point out earlier that there is really no need to frequent the most expensive resorts you can find.

So we're a bunch of middle-class moaners, unless we in in the mega-French resorts in which case we're justified in our complaints because we're getting ripped off? Just trying to work out when I should moan.
snow conditions
Its very simple if you are watching the pennies just eat and drink 30% less than last year
snow report
riverman wrote:
Its very simple if you are watching the pennies just eat and drink 30% less than last year

That's right. No need for blame. If restauranteurs have massive margins they'll trim them a bit to maintain their customers, if not they will lose a bit of business. Isn't that the way the world works?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman wrote:

Does this mean

a) only 13 pints a night or

b) only get totally bladdered 5 from 7 nights?
latest report
DB, your Choice, or you could just make the total reduction in food intake and drink the same
snow report
Quote:

I wonder if it's the same one...we're at ESSC.

Snap.....snowHead

There are plenty of problems for French cafés and restaurants at the moment. They are certainly not coining it in. Many resort establishments are open for less than half the year (because there are no customers there the rest of the time). I now know, personally, the people who run two restaurants and one small shop in our resort - and they're struggling, though their prices are not fancy by any means. The shops generally have done badly for the last couple of seasons, it seems - there have been plenty of skiers (lift pass sales are up) but they are spending a lot less. Most - I'd guess over 90% of visitors to the resort - are French.

The fact that Brits have less to spend will obviously have more impact on the hyper Brit-infested resorts but it's a more general problem than that. Personally I hope that businesses in the resorts make enough profit to keep going; we'd all be stuffed without them.

And, as mentioned somewhere above, anyone who can afford to go on a ski holiday shouldn't moan too much. And I have zero sympathy with people whose idea of hardship is not being able to get off their faces at bar prices every night.
snow conditions
pam w,

so I probably know you......perhaps we should wear some snowhead clothing next time in the bar to identify one another.....
snow report
Alexandra wrote:
but did you know it's actually physically possible NOT to get blotted every night of your holiday and/or your every day life? That going 7 days without alcohol won't actually kill you?

I find that comment a little offensive. Dont presume that all Brits' are like that on their holidays. I for one drink very little. Perhaps a bottle or two of wine a week at home and maybe a few Guiness on the odd night out.

I drink very little alcohol when away skiing anyway. I cant hack the hangovers. I wait a long 12 months each year for my week to the snow and wont risk lossing one day because Ive over done it on the drink the night before.
snow report
Renry, you're in a minority there, I'm afraid.
snow conditions
snowlamb, a ski helmet with a snowheads label? That should do the trick.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Renry, you're in a minority there, I'm afraid.

Not that small a minority I'd say.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I hope that businesses in the resorts make enough profit to keep going; we'd all be stuffed without them.

Nah, we'd be hungry without them Wink
snow conditions
Not all of us go away and get bladdered every night. We enjoy an aperitif , a bottle of wine with the meal, and maybe a digestif.. Not the case when we go away with a bunch of SnowHeads , drinks consumption definitley increases many times over rolling eyes
ski holidays
I just don't like the sea france ferry over to Calais, 1.10 for a packet of crisps Exclamation .

My mum evan thinks that super markets are a bit expensive at the moment compared with British prices
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

a ski helmet with a snowheads label? That should do the trick.

Jenny already suspects my sanity...this would make up her mind for definate.

What boat do you have?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy