Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can fat people snowboard?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I took a portly fellow from my work up to cairngorm last year. He's overweight but not huge and only 32.

He was a long boarder when younger so reckoned he would be ok. I've taught a few complete beginners the basics so I was also positive about him giving it a bash.

I'm afraid it didn't go very well. Things became a huge problem that I never even envisaged being a problem:

He couldn't get far enough past his bulk to strap himself in, either before he got up or after he fell.
He didn't have the basic strength in his arms and legs to push himself from a sitting to standing position. We tried heel edge and toe edge, me pulling him etc etc.
His energy drained very quickly just through repeatedly trying to get to his feet. After taking all his effort to stand up he was very quickly back at square one on the ground again. I was knackered repeatedly strapping him in and out, and then helping him get to his feet

I would say after that experience, that you start with some other, more gentle exercise. Build from that to have at least a basic level of fitness, otherwise you'll be put off and wasting your money.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oops should have looked at the dates before rushing into my own 'fatty on a board' story...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't worry Nelbert75. AlyNics the resurrectionist, but we'll forgive her - Welcome to SH, and welcome to snowboarding too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nelbert75, must have been disappointing for your colleague. A useful reminder that it's worth making sure somebody trying snowboarding for the first time (whatever their weight) can get in and out of their bindings and stand up. I recall doing exactly that in the privacy of my own sitting room!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Um..not sure how big size 22 is, but surely there's a limit to how big an back bottom can be before it can't fit on the small chair lifts, and how much tummy you can get on a chairlift with the safety bar down. Just a practical question that's all. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Size 22 is well under the point that kind of thing becomes an issue gixxerniknik - depends on your height but something like this:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/21/article-1208040-061F0468000005DC-823_468x702.jpg

It is big enough snowboarding is a PITA though. I'm only a size 18 and the struggle of getting up is def a reason I don't enjoy boarding.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I were so fat I couldn't actually get up off the ground, I'd be starting to worry about myself. Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a pal who's about 6'5" and maybe 30 stone who can, and does, board brilliantly well. Luckily he's so fast that there's no risk of him flattening me.

The only obstacle is that the rest of us have to sit on the other side of the aisle in order to give the pilot a fighting chance of keeping the plane straight and level.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a total fatty and when learning I found it really hard to bend over to reach my bindings. It's hard work but persevere and you'll get fitter and thinner. Or you'll die.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have not read all 5 pages but as a big old fat skier and occasional boarder can I pass on an important safety item.

WEAR WRIST GUARDS

The long ones are supposed to be better.

Snowboarders break their wrists a lot.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
whatever your level of ability or fitness, or size there will be slopes you're comfortable on so go for it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is a rather old thread, but since it has already been resurrected...

I am a long-time lurker, but signed up to post as I think my experience is relevant, and this thread contains a lot of conjecture and opinion (of which mine will be just another!)

I am a size 18-20, poor fitness but good balance. I am lazy, hate the gym and most forms of exercise, and love good food, so that is unlikely to change any time soon. Have skied occasionally since I was a child, but swapped to boarding a couple of years ago since the rest of my group were nearly all boarders (that and the boots are comfier).

I did the learn-in-a-day thing at a snowdome, and found it fairly easy (although tiring at times walking back up the slope), whereas my boyfriend-at-the-time (skinny as a rake and of average fitness) really struggled and was exhausted by the end of the day. I did a week of lessons with the UCPA and was by far the heaviest person in the group, but was probably the most progressed by the end of the week. A few more weeks on the mountain down the line, and it is now my fitness that is starting to hold me back. However, I still get as much boarding as I want done, and can keep up with the rest of the group without a problem.

I do find that one benefit is that I rarely have more than mild bruising from a nasty fall, due to my natural padding I expect! - I don't use wrist guards / knee pads / impact shorts, just a helmet is enough for me.

So I guess my practical points to note are:
1. Natural aptitude, previous experience and ability to pick up new skills has a huge impact when learning, not just size and fitness.
2. The first week is tiring but do-able whatever your size. A travelator lift on the nursery slope makes it easier (though I coped without).
3. Large sizes in ski wear can be hard to find and/or expensive, and not much choice.
4. Button/T-bar lifts and long runs on one edge are even harder work when you're carrying a lot of weight.
5. It's a holiday - you're allowed to have a day off!
6. You will need a slightly longer and stiffer board than a lighter person. I use a fairly stiff 153cm board (I should probably have an even longer one, but this one rides nicely for me).
7. Being heavier means you pick up speed quicker when heading downhill!

Personally, I am now aiming to slim down a bit and get a bit fitter, before heading off for a cheap end-of-season trip this year, as I bought lovely new ski trousers to replace my seen-better-days pair, and they are just slightly too small! Eurgh, we'll just have to wait and see whether vanity wins over my dislike of the gym!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@essjae, welcome to snowheads. What a great, affirmative, first post. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy