Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can fat people snowboard?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.
I'm new to this site and there is one thing about Snowboarding that I have in mind.

I really want to try it (I've never ski'd either - but I want to board). MY husband is crazy about it and wants to take me with him (Obviously I am going to need lessons as I have never done it before).
He tells me that because I am overweight (not just slightly) that I won't be able to board and that I need to lose weight first.

Now I don't know any other boarders so I don't know if this is true.
But,
can "larger" people go snowboarding? Confused

And if so, where do I find Plus-size Snow-wear? I haven't a clue. TK Max only go upto a size 16/18 and I'm a 22!
(Not shy to admit it! I'm a big girl!
Shocked ) So, is he telling me the truth? Or is he wanting to go on lots of snowboarding holidays without me as an embarrassment?

I would really apprecite your honesty on this one people.
snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No they can't
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes they can!!!

Im over 6foot and big guy (+15 stone ).
Before you make any choices, go and have a taster session or take a few lessons at a snowdome before you think about going.

DONT do the board in a day ... it will kill you. Do the half day course.

I am sure you are really happy with your size... so i need to prepare you with the inevitable ... you will shrink.

There are plenty of outsized ski wear places on the web. Some hire places as well.
TBH 22 isnt that big ... ive seen much bigger.
Quick google finds sizes up to 32 Shocked

I lost over 1/2 stone the first week I went out to the alps alone.
I recon you could loose a pound or 2 just doing 1/2 aday at the dome when learning. Its constant pushing off the ground , squatting up and down ... killed me.

tux
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Tux!! I will start hunting for plus size gear and think about going for some lessons.
Happy with my size yes. But always happy to lose a few pounds too!
Very Happy

Sooo excited now!
x
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No reason why not of course. I've been boarding with plenty of good-sized people. But - it is physically quite demanding, especially when you learn - there's a lot of falling over and getting up.

So whilst size per se is not such a issue, fitness definitely is, and you'll enjoy yourself more and progress better if you're fitter. I don't know how much you exercise at the moment but I would definitely recommend stepping it up steadily before you go, and lessons at a snowdome well in advance are a really good idea - it will give you a feel for the level of fitness you'll need. Though remember the first few days are by far the most tiring , so don't be discouraged. Good luck!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can you lie on your back on a slight incline, with head up the incline then stand up without moving your feet from original postion? This is the hardest thing you'll have to do but it can be pretty hard on a repeated basis.

The rest is all stamina to withstand repeated slams.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The first three days or boarding will probably be the hardest thing you will ever do if you are either 'big' or 'old' or both Shocked , a 'big' but 'sporty' girl or guy will be able to board, but it would be tough for a couch spud because you will spend days on your @rse trying to get up with a plank strapped to your feet.

If I had a big (heavy) mate who wanted to board I would advise skiing instead imho
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Awol.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not very fit at all at the moment. Could do with getting fitter though. Was thinking about trying out a snowdome actually. I think Tamworth is the nearest one to me.

Peace.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nightingirl wrote:
can "larger" people go snowboarding? Confused

They are technically allowed to, but it's frowned upon
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops,
Quote:

you will spend days on your @rse trying to get up with a plank strapped to your feet.

And without sticks to help lever you up. Even though I'm not a couch potato and am only a bit overweight, that's why I won't learn to snowboard. But I'm old and lazy and haven't yet learned how to ski properly, let alone snowboard. wink Nightingirl, you go for it, and good luck to you. Oh, and welcome to snowHeads.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hello + welcome

as others, much higher up, said, try a lesson at a snodome (Castleford/ Milton Keynes - you can hire salopettes/ jackets there too for the lessons).

(I lack the experience to know for sure, but think learning to ski might be less strenuous than learning to board, so it might be worth trying an hour's skiing lesson too: seems to involve less time sitting on your backside in cold wet snow for beginners, and you can always switch to boards another year. It's also fun skiing alongside a boarder on flat green slopes in the afternoons Twisted Evil )

gearwise, try Tchibo and mountainwarehouse

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 9-12-08 18:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
firebug wrote:
No reason why not of course. I've been boarding with plenty of good-sized people. But - it is physically quite demanding, especially when you learn - there's a lot of falling over and getting up.

So whilst size per se is not such a issue, fitness definitely is, and you'll enjoy yourself more and progress better if you're fitter. I don't know how much you exercise at the moment but I would definitely recommend stepping it up steadily before you go, and lessons at a snowdome well in advance are a really good idea - it will give you a feel for the level of fitness you'll need. Though remember the first few days are by far the most tiring , so don't be discouraged. Good luck!!! Very Happy

Hi there - this is a spot on post - its not that you 'can't' do it - just that you may struggle with the physical demands - but thats no reason not to try and do what you can!
For my first snowboarding trip I'd put on weight and hadn't prepared for fitness - it was a killer - but you can still have fun and make the most of it. If you have the chance to do some fitness training - concentrate on your core muscles. You will fall over a lot and really use your tummy muscles to pick yourself back up. Found that those were more tired than my actual leg muscles.

On the clothes thing - remember you don't have to use specific 'ski' or 'board' gear for your first trip - especially if you go later in the season when its warmer. Can use any outdoor waterproof jacket with a fleece. If you can't get specific trousers I know of people that have used tights/leggings/thermals with waterproofs over the top.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No reason why a fatty shouldn't board, though I'd agree with other people regarding fitness - you will spend a lot of time getting up after falling, and if you're heavy this will be a lot of effort. On the plus side, having a well-padded bum could be a definite advantage in the early days.

You might have difficulty finding a suitable board - if you're heavier than average it might be hard to find one in a short enough length.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As per others: fitness rather than size is the real issue, although I suppose the size might make it even harder getting up on the board from sitting down on the snow, which can always be a tricky situation...
snow report
red 27, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
the only problem I see is you will need a longer board than normal which might knock the learning curve back a bit.
ski holidays
Nightingirl, Agree with everyone here, as long as you're prepared for some serious effort, and you will get much fitter after a week of levering your body off the snow . . . it doesn't have to be that hard, just keep your legs relaxed and your head UP looking around you to keep your balance.

What's just as important is basic flexibility . . . girlies usually have an advantage over us boys in that area . . . If you can touch your toes with your legs straight and drop to then rise from a full squat, you'll have no problems beyond muscle strain, bruising and fatigue to hold you back.

Spacial awareness and balance are another factor and as I'm probably old enough to be your Grampa with the concomitant failing of everything that keeps me erect and flexible . . So if I can do it (and I'm in the 100Kg zone) anyone can.

It ain't gonna be easy and it may take a little longer than some, but there's no real reason not to . . . have fun Very Happy
snow report
I'd say the more natural padding the better!
snow report
Quote:

He tells me that because I am overweight (not just slightly) that I won't be able to board and that I need to lose weight first.

Shocked first thing is to give hubby a slap. Sounds to me like he just wants to keep the boys trip to himself or something..?

Like others have said, the best thing would be to ignore him and have a go anyway, probably at a snowdome to start with. But I ski and board and love both but would recommend that you try skiing rather than snowboarding as it's less physical. Both sports will be easier if you are fitter but that's no reason not to try!
latest report
Nightingirl, yes you can !!! My dad is a rather portly fellow and we strapped him to a board and he was ace ! Go for it, and all the walking & excercise whilst your learning will help you lose a few pounds too, so win win Cool
latest report
Thinking about it, if hubby does not want you to board why learn? Also maybe hubby is giving some 'tough love' by saying get fitter and then learn, which actually is a good point, if you really want to learn for your self then start on a fitness regine now, however it seems from your first reply that you maybe just want some one to say 'yes you can board' so you can tell hubby so and break in to his boarding hols? There are no short cuts and getting fitter first sounds like good advice actually
snow conditions
Quote:

Thinking about it, if hubby does not want you to board why learn?

Because hubby can sod off. What century are you living in?
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
There are no short cuts and getting fitter first sounds like good advice actually

Sounds to me like getting the winter sports bug could be the drive to get fitter - I wasted too many years telling myself there were things I'd try "when I am thin". Well NO MORE. My advice to anyone is to go for whatever it is you want to do NOW. Tomorrow may be too late - you never know what life has in store.
snow conditions
...and anyway, she says at the top
" MY husband is crazy about it and wants to take me with him "
ski holidays
rayscoops, got yerself a shovelload of s**t for that post wink

But seriously, any activity is better than no activity and however unrealistic the goals, there's no better place than on a snow covered hill to challenge yourself be it a 5° or 50° slope.
ski holidays
Quote:

Can you lie on your back on a slight incline, with head up the incline then stand up without moving your feet from original postion? This is the hardest thing you'll have to do but it can be pretty hard on a repeated basis.

It is indeed hard, which is why I don't do it. I face UP the hill and get up onto my front edge. One million times easier. I'm not fat, but I am old. It is actually far easier to get up after a fall on a snowboard than on skis (I am an experienced skier and a very inexperienced boarder and I can get up far quicker on a board). If you land on your back, you just swing the board over your head. Given your weight I think you'd struggle to get up on skis unless you are very supple and strong. But on a board, provided you use the "face up the hill" technique, and are reasonably supple, you'd manage fine. Try it, in the privacy of your own sitting room. All fours on the floor, feet shoulder width apart. Then, without moving your feet, push up onto hands and feet. Move your hands a bit closer to your feet till you can stand up (without moving your feet). If your OH has a board, strap into it and try.

A lesson in a snowdome is probably a good idea - but take it easy. I agree the "Board in a Day" is a killer: I did it not long before I became an OAP and couldn't move for days afterwards. Just propping myself up on an elbow to have a drink of water at night was genuinely painful.

My sister in law is a Big Girl. She was game to have a go at skiing but couldn't get boots to fit, because she has dainty feet (size 3 - 4) but huge ankles. Even men's size 8 boots, which drowned her, would clip up. It might be worth thinking about footwear. At the snowdome you would obviously hire (the boots were awful at Milton Keynes, but there's little choice).

Don't, whatever you do, let your OH teach you to snowboard...

Have fun. snowHead
snow conditions
rayscoops, bloody caveman !!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nightingirl, quite a long time ago a very tall (6 ft 2 in) girl friend of mine was told - by an instructor - that she was too tall to ever ski properly Shocked She's been skiing every year since and is a pretty neat skier (as some snowHeads from an early End of season bash will testify).

You can do whatever you want to do. Just have fun doing it snowHead
snow report
RachelQ wrote:
Nightingirl, quite a long time ago a very tall (6 ft 2 in) girl friend of mine was told - by an instructor - that she was too tall to ever ski properly Shocked She's been skiing every year since and is a pretty neat skier (as some snowHeads from an early End of season bash will testify).

You can do whatever you want to do. Just have fun doing it snowHead

Damm . . . another wet dream . . . Confused
snow report
I just have a feeling this is a loaded question! So what is the reason for learning to board ? To tag along on hubbies lads trips? Or to take an extra boarding trip as a couple?
snow conditions
rayscoops, who says he goes on a lads trip? he could be going in a mixed group of friends, or even dare I say it, people he met on the internet that have a interest in winter sports trips ? I bet you are a right chauvenist at heart rolling eyes
ski holidays
Nightingirl wrote:
MY husband is crazy about it and wants to take me with him

rayscoops, there is your answer I think.
snow conditions
DDS, it is obvious that Nightingirl has not been invited on the trips so far, even as a non boarder
, it has been discussed and hubby does not think it a good idea, so he either does not want Nightingirl to go or he really does not think she is up for it.
Can a big girl board? Of course she can, but does hubby want her to board with him? Seems like not and that is not me being chauvenist that is me just commenting on what I am reading between the lines
Actually I have a mate who is in a similar position and I have been egging his large size wife to try boarding
But the difference is that he is keen for her to go too.
ski holidays
rayscoops, Lord Man! . . . throw away the shovel rolling eyes
snow report
Masque, Laughing
snow conditions
Rachel, but read the bit where she reckons he may not want her on his trips for whatever reason... Is he really saying I would love you to come . . but . .
latest report
Nightingirl, Ignore the negatives, get down the dome & give it a go, then hit the slopes with your own friends and let your hubby be jealous of you having a good time without him !!
latest report
wink Laughing
snow report
Nightingirl, go for it. Clearly fitness is a help but I reckon the biggest barrier to anyone learning to board (or ski) is in the mind. If you are ready to give it a go, are ready to laugh when you fall over (which you will, particularly on a board - we all did when learning, in fact we still all do), are ready to become completely addicted - go for it snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy