Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dare2b ski jackets

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob wrote:
My view is that there is no real need to wear "punter kit" if for the same price you can buy decent stuff. I have a Patagucci jacket for walking & commuting that cost under £50 and recently have seen very respectable Marmot kit in TKmaxx for around the same price.

Nothing wrong with Regatta, dare2be etc but looking at design quality & you needn't necessarily pay much more for something that functions better. Besides if I was going to buy their kit I'd just as soon buy better designed Decathlon stuff for the same price.

Which is totally the point I was making until the 'Millet Muppets' piled in. Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the ice perv wrote:
Laughing Laughing I've just come back to this thread, can't believe it is still going! I think I have a solution to all these arguments:-

a bit of a rant deleted

My my, we are all cross about this. I'm trying to work out if it's a chip on your shoulder or an insecurity complex that leads to posts which rant about other peoples' choices Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski wrote:
Which is totally the point I was making until the 'Millet Muppets' piled in. Confused

watch it - Millet make pretty good stuff
MilletS is a bit low budget for your tastes wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, Very Happy obvious which camp you're in then...

So then, in summary. blokes like 'technical' kit cos they're nerds, and girls like either pretty colours or practicality depanding on whether they're Princess Di or Princess Anne.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, generally I only care about what I am wearing, although I reserve the right to laugh at people in 80s f@rtbags, novelty hats, inappropriate catsuits and things with too much fur Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great posting on p4 here Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Haven't been for a while, but Italy used to be the best place for spotting lime green, purple and yellow fartbags, jester hats, SX90s etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

watch it - Millet make pretty good stuff
MilletS is a bit low budget for your tastes wink

Nope, i bought a Vango tent and a pair of camping chairs in there in the Summer.I was very pleased with my purchasees. The Vango wasn't the same quality as our North Face tent, but it was 1/3 of the price. OK, call me cheap. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
red 27, generally I only care about what I am wearing, although I reserve the right to laugh at people in 80s f@rtbags, novelty hats, inappropriate catsuits and things with too much fur Cool

Absolutely! Generally I don't even notice what make jacket other people are wearing. Sometimes I'll spot what looks like a well-made jacket (a woman in my group last year had a Kjus jacket which did look eye-wateringly expensive) but otherwise as long as I'm warm, it's all good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is just such a larf. The OP just asked for advice about a really cheap jacket which would keep him warm in normal sort of mountain conditions, not hard core.

It's lovable, really, how people think that merely buying the "right" jacket qualifies them to think of themselves as NAP (Not a Punter). They're helping to keep the economy afloat, so it can't be all bad.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are punters not allowed to wear the "right" jacket? Or to understand what the differences are between different types of jacket? Or to prefer jackets which happen to be expensive just because they're not hardcore skiers?

Maybe I should eBay my ski wardrobe and pay a visit to TKMaxx... Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
This is just such a larf.

No flies on you wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:

It's lovable, really, how people think that merely buying the "right" jacket qualifies them to think of themselves as NAP (Not a Punter).

Yeah, I always think like that rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't forget the easiest way to be NAP is to cover whatever you have with copious duct tape -if it covers the logo so much the better "it's cos the stiching was letting in water dude". Oh & stick a whistle on your zip wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

My view is that there is no real need to wear "punter kit" if for the same price you can buy decent stuff.

I rest my case. I didn't suggest that everyone thinks like that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh my god what have I done?? Shocked I have provoked a fatwa! A vendetta! The hardcore brethren are after me! Help fellow punters, help!

If you see a corpse clad in a d2b jacket out on the slopes this season, riddled with ski-pole stab holes....... remember me....... Skullie wink
snow report
[quote="the ice perv"]Oh my god what have I done?? Shocked I have provoked a fatwa! A vendetta! The hardcore brethren are after me! /quote]

No one is after you, rolling eyes 'coz no one gives a toss, wink 'coz you're a boring c*ck!. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

My view is that there is no real need to wear "punter kit" if for the same price you can buy decent stuff.

I rest my case. I didn't suggest that everyone thinks like that.

I think we may be at x purposes... I had simply adopted the prevailing vernacular. Ultimately no-one gives a stuff what anyone else wears unless its an amusing fartbag, but you can have a fair stab at whether someone will be a semi respectable skier by checking out what they are wearing, notably newness and shininess above brand. If they spend a reasonable amount on kit or are adept at picking out good stuff on the cheap & wear it hard chances are they are more than a 6 days a year holiday skier. Much like the carrying skis thread a while back. You might not like the stereotyping aspect based on something as trivial as gear but everyone does it all the tme in all areas of life.
snow report
What a bunch of tossers the lot of you. Pity the poor OPer who only wanted a bit of advice about a jacket
Quote:

but you can have a fair stab at whether someone will be a semi respectable skier by checking out what they are wearing, notably newness and shininess above brand.

F'in load o shoite Evil or Very Mad

IMV it's only the brits and yanks who are obsessive about gear. Next time you're in a gondola, on a chair, in a lift queue, take a look at the other european nations wearing brands that most of the Brits have never heard of (I'll wager). Do they look cold, wet, sweaty just coz it's not Spyder, Schoffel, or other over-priced "technical" kak.
latest report
So as I said before do I confound the argument here, only able to afford the cheap brands yet, skiing this season in a top brand outfit that I was gifted?
ski holidays
Megamum, Can't say I've ever noticed what anyone's wearing, perhaps with the exception of someone I saw in Vallandry last year wearing a black bin bag, apparently they don't breath too well Very Happy.
No, Thats cool.
snow report
Megamum, we get it your received a gift!!! Tend to buy what I like the look of, if it says Dare2Be on it, I just don't like how it looks wink
latest report
halfhand wrote:

IMV it's only the brits and yanks who are obsessive about gear..........

Not skied in Italy then?. rolling eyes
snow report
halfhand wrote:
What a bunch of tossers the lot of you. Pity the poor OPer who only wanted a bit of advice about a jacket
Quote:

but you can have a fair stab at whether someone will be a semi respectable skier by checking out what they are wearing, notably newness and shininess above brand.

F'in load o shoite Evil or Very Mad

IMV it's only the brits and yanks who are obsessive about gear. Next time you're in a gondola, on a chair, in a lift queue, take a look at the other european nations wearing brands that most of the Brits have never heard of (I'll wager). Do they look cold, wet, sweaty just coz it's not Spyder, Schoffel, or other over-priced "technical" kak.

That's a load of stereotyping old shoite too.

Best advice I've heard for the OP is to look out for heavily discounted quality brands. Despite the wave of reverse snobbery, much of the "over-priced technical kak" is actually very efficient and very durable. One tip is that mountaineering jackets are often cheaper, tougher and technically better than equivalent "ski" jackets.

Or you could take the alternative advice of buying any random cheap old tat and pretend it's just as good.
latest report
I'm not sure what's fueling this debate? Are there a few 'hand grenade throwers' here that wish that they were currently in Greece. It can't be boarders, they love a label or two.
snow report
wow, I've not been on here over the weekend and my post seems to have taken off quite a bit in the mean time! Thanks for all the advice (inbetween all the arguments!). I think I'll be heading to TKMaxx when I'm back in the UK and get a jacket with a good fit and with the best tech. spec. that is within my price range (regardless of whether it's dare2b or whatever other label Very Happy)
snow report
sar_m, snowHead Laughing

Hey ho, what a fun thread!
snow report
I buy everything I own on eBay. (virtually!). But I do not touch branded goods on eBay. There are so many fakes around - and even second hand, unless it comes with the original receipt from Snow & rock (or wherever) it's probably fake too.

TKMaxx is the place to go, but you might have to go several times. I picked up a pair of goretex ski trousers v. cheaply the other week - beat my waterproof leggings that I've worn the last couple of years.

The only thing IMO a jacket needs to be (apart from obviously waterproof) is breathable. Was bought a D2B non-breathable one for my first skiing trip by g/f, and it reminded me of non-breathable cagoules I had as a child. Ugh, ugh, ugh ugh ugh.... She bought herself an equivalent breathable one which she was very pleased with, and she's a ski-snob.
ski holidays
Quote:

No one is after you, 'coz no one gives a toss, 'coz you're a boring c*ck!.

Temper, temper, Mollerski! Smile Am I a "Millet Muppet" as well? I do hope so. Or maybe a "TK Maxx Tw@t"? Or a "Blacks B'stard"? Laughing

Didn't someone on this thread refer to "humourless tossers" a few pages ago? I wonder who that was...... Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the ice perv wrote:
Am I a "Millet Muppet" as well? I do hope so.

MilletS. Millet is a French (?) skiwear company that is not in the budget category.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Don't forget the easiest way to be NAP is to cover whatever you have with copious duct tape -if it covers the logo so much the better "it's cos the stiching was letting in water dude". Oh & stick a whistle on your zip wink

I'll have you know that the two duct tape patches on my ski clothing cover, respectively: 1) a small hole made by a tree branch in my jacket; and 2) a bigger hole made by a rock in my trousers, when I fell on what looked like pristine snow on the opening weekend at Verbier this year. wink (Yes, there was a corresponding hole + bruise in my skin.) Parlor can vouch for the latter.

There, I felt the need to contribute to this historic thread.
ski holidays
horizon, Thanks for that... May I enquire what brand of tape is popular with the cognesenti in Verbs this season? As I recall from last year I don't think TK-Max had a branch yet
ski holidays
horizon, My recently retired jacket (bought at Super Soccer Sports the emporium of all that is chavtastic) was ultimately more duct tape than original fabric in certain areas - it was only the zips going that finally did for it. I prefer to think that it made me look not a punter - more like a vagrant.
latest report
red 27, don't know but I can tell you that the black one supplied by Parlor fell off, whereas my highly visible silver one is still hanging on.

the Incog-non-sentient Toofy Grin
snow conditions
red 27

I for one would not buy cheap "gaffer" tape.
You need top quality "Duct" tape, at least 12 mils of adhesive, three layers and around 58 pounds per square inch tensile strength.

NehNeh

tux
snow conditions
i saw some dare2be jackets in TK Maxx.

Now, i am not totally concerned with logo's usually.. but Dare2be just look cr@p .... the jacked was fine and prob would have got if there was no logo, the name is just a naff name IMO .

I got a different brown jacket that i cannot even remember the make right now.
ski holidays
There is an alternative - get matey with an importer of a 'quality' brand, and get loads of kit off him for the price of a few beers....

So far 2 pairs of K2 ski's with Marker bindings (including 1x pair of Dukes), Couple of pairs of Marmot Bibs, plus assorted gillets, midlayers, etc etc. Estimated retail value? Certainly in excess of a grand - cost to me? Considerably less than that (about £200)

I look like Jack the frickin' biscuit when I go out

rolling eyes
ski holidays
I think all the people getting uptight on here should, as punishment, have to read the "Tall-T" thread on TGR from start to finish Toofy Grin
snow report
Arno, Punishment? Any thread that spawns a tshirt has to be a good one.... right?!
latest report
arv, that's as maybe but the t-shirt concerned:

1. was cotton so *gasp* would not wick efficiently
2. was knee length so *shudder* would restrict movement
3. possibly cost more than one available at TK Maxx and
4. WAS WORN WITH THE EXPRESS INTENTION OF LOOKING COOL

thereby potentially p155ing off almost everyone on this thread!! Laughing
snow conditions
Arno, Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy