Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dare2b ski jackets

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking for a new ski jacket and I'm a bit skint, so need something cheap! I've been searching online and keep coming across the "dare2b" brand. It looks as if it is really good value for money but I've never heard anything about it before. So has anyone on here heard of it and what's your opinion on it?

I'm an upper-intermediate/ advanced skier, can cope with all pistes and most weather conditions and am developing my off piste technique (in fair weather Razz ) so I don't need some high tech super mountaineer jacket but need something that I won't freeze in if the weather conditions aren't great.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of my staff had their kit last season, heard no complaints.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dare2b the target for a load of p' take. Razz
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mollerski, what, like 'har har you're warm and dry and still have money left over to spend on food' sort of thing?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They do the job, so if you like them then go for it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mine is ok, pretty tough, breathable, no problems
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No, more like ' For that money, you could've gotton a decent high spec jacket on Ebay or at TK Maxx and you wouldn't look like your Old Man going for a post Xmas pud walk' sort of thing. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sar_m, Do you remember C&A? Embarassed You get the idea?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski, marketing victim.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:
Mollerski, marketing victim.

Yeah, Mr Dupont got me with his 'Goretex'. He convinced me that being soaked with sweat would reduce my body temp. What a mug I am. Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a dare2be jacket for the occasional skier. Lots of our kids have them on our school trips and none of them ever freeze or get wet etc. More respect for the skier who buys a dare2be jacket and spends the rest of his money on ensuring him and his family have a good holiday than a ski snob who cant possibly have something off the highstreet rail.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies (so far)

like I said in the op I want something that is cheap as possible that'll keep me warm and dry. I'm not interested in whether or not they are the "coolest" brand on the market. I really wish I was an expert skier now so I could make a comment about a possible correlation between people with "super cool" gear and their ability to ski!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sar_m, the Dare2Be stuff I've seen looks warm enough for normal winter weather. It might not be up to the job if it's chucking it down with rain, but in those conditions would you really want to be skiing all day?

There seems to be quite a lot of it in TKMaxx at the moment, so maybe try to get there to compare prices.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sar_m, 2 of my friends have Dare2B jackets and are very happy with them. They're sold in Millets so you can easily go have a look.

The other place to go is TK Maxx who keep a range of makes at some very attractive prices. My salopettes are Mountain Warehouse's own make, Parallel, and they've been pretty good - they do jackets too but don't know about the quality.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sar_m, said correlation us usually of a somewhat inverse nature. As I said, I had a bunch of resort staff with dare2be kit last season and they all seemed to be warm, dry and perfectly happy with it all season. They also had more than enough dosh to spend on beer.
snow report
sar_m wrote:
Thanks for the replies (so far)

I really wish I was an expert skier now so I could make a comment about a possible correlation between people with "super cool" gear and their ability to ski!

It's 'All the gear and no idea'. wink

We get loads of it down here with 'wannabe' surfers. The cooler guys wear battered quality brands rather than cheap brands. The 'emmits' (holidaymakers) turn up with £100's worth of shiney new gear and never catch a wave.
Why not buy a used decent breathable branded jacket on Ebay rather than new cheapy chearful?
snow report
sar_m wrote:
I'm not interested in whether or not they are the "coolest" brand on the market. I really wish I was an expert skier now so I could make a comment about a possible correlation between people with "super cool" gear and their ability to ski!

Laughing Touche! Well, you will be at no risk of being mistaken for one of the "All the gear, No idea" brigade, you can dare2be sure of that! wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 5-12-08 20:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Lizzard, thanks, I'm going out for a season as well (hence why I am currently skint) so that seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for!

C+A in Germany (where I'm living at the moment) still does ski gear! Their smallest size seems to be M though, which is too big for me, so was looking on the internet. Maybe when I'm home next week I'll try and get to TKMaxx, does anyone know if the one in Glasgow does ski gear? I haven't been for a while.
ski holidays
I am sure the Glasgow TKM does skiwear - I have not yet found a branch that doesn't. Also have a look in Milletts at the Dare2be.
latest report
sar_m, My husband has a Dare2Be softshell jacket which he bought at the Ski Show, so it's not yet been used in snow, BUT - he has worn it to go to the match for the past few very cold, wet Saturdays and was impressed. He stayed dry and warm Very Happy By the way, my husband IS a bit of a label junkie but was happy with the quality and price and now the performance (so far)
snow report
Mollerski, I've had a look on ebay but couldn't find a decent second hand jacket in my size. The only ones they had in my size and price range were either pretty old (so I'm guessing quality wouldn't be great) or new and from "non cool" brands. Also quite a few of the dare2b jackets had breathability of 5000-10000mm, snow skirts, plenty of inner and outer pockets, "ptzips" and taped seams and I'm no technical expert but unless you're planning on doing serious mountaineering I kind of thought that would be ok. Although part of the reason I was asking here was to check that kind of stuff out.
ski holidays
I have a dare2be jacket and it's great. I ski all day, don't shelter in rain/snow/wind, fall down more than I like (getting more wet) and have no complaints at all. It's actually quite a nice jacket, I think and has all the pockets in the right places and a semi-wearable hood. The only place it's not been tested is over 2500m but otherwise go for it.

Caveat: I've never tried the really really good stuff but considering the prices and hassle of buying in TKMaxx (none near me; fancy jumble sale that I haven't the patience for) or EBay (I want to try it on first please), it's unlikely that I ever will.
snow conditions
i wore mine in Banff at -20, no problems. It's warm, comfortable and keeps me dry
snow report
stevev, Are you the guy in Lech? you would be shot in Lech in dare2be... Skullie
ski holidays
Good job i went to St Anton instead then. I am in Warth tommorrow, so hopefully they can't see me from over the mountain in Lech.

I don't go with all this label snobbery, the jackets great.

I am actually living near Friedrichshafen, software engineer contractor working out here for the ski season.
snow report
For the posters who aren't so keen on dare2b, is there a technical reason for this i.e. you don't think they will keep me warm/ won't be waterproof/ breathable enough or is it purely fashion? If there is a technical reason what? and what would you recommend at a reasonable price and technically good? I'm still learning about ski technical stuff so would be interested to know if this is purely brand snobbery or if there is a serious quality issue.
snow conditions
sar_m, the level of waterproofness is lower than what most people would describe as technical jackets. However, I think this is an over-rated factor for most conditions. Regular snow, or even wet snow, won't really challenge a garment's waterproofness. It's only when you're in torrential rain that a fully-taped 20,000mm material like Goretex Proshell is going to be the only thing to keep you dry. But if it's raining that hard I'd head back for home unless I was being paid to be on the hill.
ski holidays
who goes skiing in the rain ? Have I been spoilt, I have never been to a reosrt where it rained
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevev wrote:
who goes skiing in the rain ? Have I been spoilt, I have never been to a reosrt where it rained

Not that frequent an occurrence for me, but it does happen from time to time. I would normally do something other than ski, but one day last season I was on a course and had to ski for most of the day in very heavy rain. I was extremely thankful that my goretex kit kept me dry - some of the other guys on the course were soaked to the skin.
snow conditions
sar_m, You can pick up a D2B in TKMAXX for £30 in their isotex fabric. I've bought two in the past, one of which I've had a weeks skiing out of followed by 2 years day in day out everyday wear, including the last 2 perpetual raining autumn type summers that we've had. I've stayed warm and dry and its still going strong and it was out again tonight keeping me warm and dry on the childrens walk to the church nativity night in the cold and wet. I'd buy another without hesitation if I needed another cheap and cheerful ski jacket and I'd certainly buy another if I wanted another everyday coat. £30 is not a lot to pay for 2 years very solid use.
ski holidays
I got a (cheap) d2b jacket off the web for spring skiing - waterproof and breatheable, better than some others I've had which cost more, what more do you want? Who gives a fcuk what the label says?????? Label snobs get your £600 Spyder jackets on & p*ss off, you are getting boring. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I'm a bit of a tech junkie (label does not matter) and all my stuff is either Goretex XCR or eVent goodies - bit sad for ordinary everyday skiing, but there you are. When my better half bought our kids some dare2b ski gear a few years ago it certainly raised an eyebrow! However, I went along with it for harmony and the kids have used it in temps of -10 and also on other occasions in rain. They have never had any problems with their kit and they can be real moaners if something is not right! Dare2b have different levels of waterproofness and breathability - so long as you stay away from the base level which is waterproof but not breathable you should be more than fine..! They are cheap enough to throw away and buy new every other season if you are that way inclined.
snow conditions
the ice perv wrote:
I got a (cheap) d2b jacket off the web for spring skiing - waterproof and breatheable, better than some others I've had which cost more, what more do you want? Who gives a fcuk what the label says?????? Label snobs get your £600 Spyder jackets on & p*ss off, you are getting boring. Evil or Very Mad

At least us 'label snobs' have to 'get' boring. wink

I didn't know that D2B jackets came with a shoulder 'chip' pocket. Nice. Very Happy
snow report
red 27 wrote:
sar_m, Do you remember C&A? Embarassed You get the idea?

What "idea" might you think that would be then?

Even the very best stuff around at the time of the heyday of C&A wasn't any better than Dare2B is now.

So long as he makes sure to go for stuff that is both breathable and waterproof, the Dare2B stuff will be fine for any normal recreational skier.

you and Mollerski are just being stupidly snobbish.
ski holidays
My Trespass jacket (£50 in TKM), washed in the right stuff (v important) kept me warm and dry for 3 seasons. I bought a new one because I got bored with it and the colour had faded in the sun after so long. Anyone over 19 who still makes judgements about other people on the strength of what they wear (be it cheap or expensive) needs to grow up.

The consensus of opinion above, from anyone who's actually HAD a dare2be jacket, including some who've used them in testing conditions, seems to be that they'll do the job if you avoid the cheapest ones which are not breathable.

Have a great season. snowHead
ski holidays
[quote="alex_heney

Mollerski are just being stupidly snobbish.[/quote]

My point was...........that there isn't much to be saved by wearing D2b.

In reality, i don't give a toss as to who wears what. rolling eyes

It is interesting how certain topics tend to bring out the humourless tossers. wink
latest report
Quote:

who goes skiing in the rain ?

Scots. Horizontal rain, mostly. This is why they're always kitted out in Berghaus mountaineering gear.
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
...Why not buy a used decent breathable branded jacket on Ebay rather than new cheapy chearful?

And of course, a branded jacket on ebay is bound to be genuine...

My kids have had a Dare2Be suit that was not breathable and hence horrible and had to be binned. We have also had a Dare2Be suit that was breathable and was great.

My advice would be check what it says on the label, not the name on the label.
ski holidays
I have a similar budget brand ski jacket and pants and I say go for it. All this label lust stuff is just that. You pay more for a badge, but they're probably still all made in sweat shops in the far east. Stick to cheaper brands and save money for your ski trips I reckon...
snow report
queen bodecia, Perhaps a slightly simplistic view, but hey Smile In reality you usually get what you pay for, but you need to be switched on- ie. some expensive gear is a load of tosh, while some cheaper gear is actually really rather good.

sar_m, I'd recommend having a read up on the sorts of fabrics and qualities that exist with decent gear- if you've the patience. Then go to the shops- have a look at d2b, and if it looks and feels good, and you think you like it- then go for it!

My personal preference? Probably wouldn't go for it myself unless I was on a shoestring, it's less about fashion/brand awareness and more about liking decent gear and the qualities that they have, my main shells (top and bottom) are Schoffel for that reason as it's real good stuff.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy