Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
Still skiing top to middle (which is actually only 350ft above the carpark and 1300ft below the top of the ski area on CairnGorm with good cover and width on the Top Basin Runs and down the Traverse, 105 and Coire Cas back to the middle station by the Cas Gunbarrel which remains relatively flat and wide for it.

Terrain park has been completely rebuilt over the past 48hours with six rails/boxes of various sizes shapes and required skill levels, from a not to daunting flat-down-flat box rail set on fairly flat ground, a wide low steel rail which is good for practising rail slides on, to a more challenging battleship box, c-box and then a lethal narrow flat-down kinked rail that requires air on to hit it just on the brow where the hill drops off into the steeper main pitch of the Ptarmigan Bowl - basically a skier getting this one wrong wont be having kids! Shocked

Also a pretty damn big kicker has been build with six graduated take-offs of varying heights, pitch and distance to landing zone:

Kicker landing zone:

Heading for the Traverse on freshly pisted spring snow:

Stack more Photos at both of the following links:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1434

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=534
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winterhighland, Still looking pretty good. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okay, you've convinced me.....skis are in the car Smile

Conditions permitting I'm thinking of Cairngorm Mon (maybe Tue too) and then see what the West looks like later in the week. If anyone is around and fancies a slide then give me a shout snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone asked about skiing in Scotland in the German skiing forum www.alpinforum.com, so I posted some photos of the "Grand Tour" I made back in 2002 (as well as links back here to show better days). Conditions then in the middle of February were lousy. If anyone wants to see some photos of less good Scottish conditions, they are at http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30605. Despite the snow conditions (and the accident that one friend had), I still enjoyed the trip. Planning now for 2012 Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
espri, you link to the thread doesn't appear to be working...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The link works for me - my pictures are further down the thread.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, working now, maybe the forum's server was playing up.

Anyway, nice one but perhaps it's worth pointing out photos like these to them as well snowHead

1. The terrain will surprise them.

2. They'll realise Scots can ski, unlike most English Wink Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
espri,
Link works for me as well.

I will be up at Aviemore next week but doing a winter skills course based at Glenmore. My usual skiing buddies pulled out of plans for next week and had already taken the week of work so thought I would see what they had to offer at Glenmore. Hoping for a bit of wintry weather.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great photos, roga. Thanks! I've added the link to them to the thread (and I had already links to this thread and winterhighland's site - I don't want to put folk off skiing in Scotland!).

roga wrote:
2. They'll realise Scots can ski, unlike most English Wink Twisted Evil wink

And let's hope that we can play better rugby than them tomorrow too Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ I'll drink to that Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh well, there's still the skiing Smile

roga, was that you pleading for Scottish skiing as roger on www.alpinforum.com? If so, I can report that the Google translation is quite understandable, quaint but understandable Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brilliant day at Glencoe with my two boys today. Quite a lot of the mountain is still useable, you can ski down to the Cliffy & cafe via the Wall, the Springy is full length for the last run of the day back to the plateau poma track and there is a (broken) traverse out back over to the T-Bar. Found soft granular spring snow all over the mountain except at the top of the Flypaper so didn't go down there. Perhaps that's why marked as closed i.e. icy in addition to some fairly nasty exposure.

Weather started low cloud & drizzle but cleared to blue sky and sunshine. Roll on the new snow. Smile

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1439

Traverse out of the Spring run back to the T-Bar station.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
espri wrote:
Oh well, there's still the skiing Smile

LOL, missed iot but from that I presume Scotland lost?
Quote:
roga, was that you pleading for Scottish skiing as roger on www.alpinforum.com? If so, I can report that the Google translation is quite understandable, quaint but understandable Very Happy

LOL, how did you guess Very Happy

Hopefully I wasn't pleading, just painting it how it is, good and bad.

Glad the German is understandable, I can live with quaint Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mon the sna
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
which snowforecast has forecast over a foot of for next week Smile
ski holidays
^ yup, when is it supposed to get colder, Monday?

moffatross, nice piccies, thanks for sharing snowHead
ski holidays
roga, for such a great weather day, GC was sadly lacking patronage with perhaps just 100 people on the mountain including staff.
snow conditions
roga wrote:
Hopefully I wasn't pleading, just painting it how it is, good and bad.

I thought the description was excellent and I'm sure that any touring skiers who look at your photos from Carn Mor Dearg will be fascinated. I'm not a tourer but even I might be tempted on a day like that!

I enjoyed moffatross's photos from Glencoe and I was surprised too at how few people were there. When I remember what weekend queues used to be like - where have all the skiers gone? I must admit, though, that amongst my Scottish friends who still ski, there aren't many who ski in Scotland (couldn't persuade any of them to join me on my "Grand Tour", although that may have been due to their having other commitments). Mind you, towards the end of the season, there are often days when very few skiers are on the slopes here in the Alps too (though mid-March can hardly be called the end of the Scottish skiing season).
ski holidays
roga wrote:
Quote:
roga, was that you pleading for Scottish skiing as roger on www.alpinforum.com?

Sounded like German with a Scottish accent Laughing
snow report
espri, It's the end of march so no-one can be bothered any more -----me--- I love skiing the steep pitch of the Goose without having to bother with the less steep bit lower down and on nice spring snow - half the lenth of the tow all the good bits... Want a rest.... ski the easy blue on the summit or hit the park.... March and April are my Fav months
snow conditions
II wrote:
espri, It's the end of march so no-one can be bothered any more

Yes, it's the same here but it seems a great shame to waste all that good skiing. And when the lift companies in Scotland have to struggle to cover their costs it hurts particularly.
snow report
I took my son to Cairngorm this afternoon and after the cloud blew at about 3pm through it was beautiful. As my son has only skied half a dozen times we only used the green runs but had a great time.

The Ciste Fairway was fine with just a few narrower parts in the mid section; the Ciste Bowl was good, but again narrowing a little towards the bottom, and the Ptarmigan bowl still has full cover.

For beginners the conditions are still very good and the slopes were pretty quiet.
snow report
espri wrote:
I thought the description was excellent and I'm sure that any touring skiers who look at your photos from Carn Mor Dearg will be fascinated. I'm not a tourer but even I might be tempted on a day like that!

Sadly not my photos but yes, the conditions look pretty good to me and this time of year there's a lot more sun than Jan/Feb which is when most people who go around telling horror stories seem to have tried it. It's a great shame more people don't realise the best part of the Scottish ski season is invariably from late March into April, it frankly always has been!
Quote:
I enjoyed moffatross's photos from Glencoe and I was surprised too at how few people were there. When I remember what weekend queues used to be like - where have all the skiers gone? I must admit, though, that amongst my Scottish friends who still ski, there aren't many who ski in Scotland (couldn't persuade any of them to join me on my "Grand Tour", although that may have been due to their having other commitments). Mind you, towards the end of the season, there are often days when very few skiers are on the slopes here in the Alps too (though mid-March can hardly be called the end of the Scottish skiing season).

Absolutely, numbers are significantly down in Scotland over the last few years and I guess some of your friends must be amongst those who have abandoned it. I'm sure they all have what they view as good reasons to stay away but to me it seems crazy to only ski for a week or so in the Alps and never take advantage of the opportunities that lie closer to home, even if they may only be for the odd weekend at the end of the season. In part I think it's a serous failure of marketing on the part of those who are supposed to get the word out, in part I guess it's because many see January and February as the ski season and they have never been the times when Scottish skiing is necessarily at it's best. Other factors have to have been the availability of cheap travel opportunities to the Alps and up until recently the very favourable exchange rates. Both of the latter factors have become less enticing recently so maybe we'll see a return to the Scottish slopes, I get the impression this has been the case earlier this year, but then we have the old problem of overcrowding rearing it's ugly head. This can only be tackled by investment in infrastructure, something that has been lacking for the last 20 odd years but it is good to note that Glencoe seem to be currently looking for investors in order to move the place on, hopefully some of the others will be doing the same soon too.
espri wrote:
roga wrote:
Quote:
roga, was that you pleading for Scottish skiing as roger on www.alpinforum.com?

Sounded like German with a Scottish accent Laughing

Ah, ja och aye the noo! Wink
snow conditions
Even at Glenshee with the car park over flowing I didn't find it necessary to wait in a queue (with a little local knowledge). This being my first season skiing at Glenshee I was surprised at how well the 'infrastructure' coped with the crowds with memories of 2 hour queues at Glencoe back in the day..
latest report
I really want to try out Scotland and really need to get some more skiing in this season and Scotland looks like my last chance as i cant go abroad again with the current exchange rate i spend more when im there on beer than the actual holiday costs. Any advice on the most snow sure place to go, from my research im thinking Nevis! I wanted to go this week leaving Monday but its not looking likely now as the person who i was going with has let me down Mad are conditions likely to change in the next week or 2 because i might have to go then instead of this week. If anyone fancy's coming up there with me im leaving from Norfolk and can pick you up on route (splitting petrol costs would be handy Laughing ) after looking at the pics on here im hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.
ski holidays
steverix1985, forecast is for some more snow this week....as for the week after your guess is as good as mine....

If things stay like they are now- go to Cairngorm if you want greens and blues - Nevis if you want blues and reds (without a walk) and Glencoe if you want blues, reds and a black (with a small walk)
snow conditions
II wrote:
If things stay like they are now- go to Cairngorm if you want greens and blues - Nevis if you want blues and reds (without a walk) and Glencoe if you want blues, reds and a black (with a small walk)

Aye but what a black. Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
Aye but what a black. Very Happy snowHead

LOL, aye!

Anyone else on tenterhooks waiting to see what this week delivers?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, yes! Are you thinking of a trip up? If things clear for a week on Monday it would be PERFECT!
snow report
arv, I'm actually up for about 6 days from the 4th (prior to heading back out to Tignes) - am taking the family up so am there whatever the weather brings. I agree that a week on Monday could be a good opportunity but will have to wait until the Saturday - am hoping (entirely selfishly) that it continues dumping 'till then to be honest snowHead
snow report
There's a skiff of snow already on the Cairngorm and Nevis webcams.

Good to see at last snowHead
snow report
Just got back to the hotel after being out walking in the snow. It needs to carry on overnight for it to have an impact, but at the moment it's dry in Aviemore. Here's hoping!
latest report
Hey Elizabeth do keep us informed about what it's like - there's snowfall forecast until Saturday at least so loads of time for it to build up, it's great to see although the overhead conditions may not be that great for sliding right now. Being selfish I'm thinking this is great for the Easter week when we are up but perhaps not so clement for you at the moment.

Hope you have a great time though, when are you there until?
ski holidays
I'm back in work Monday, so potentially here until Sun....but will depend on the weather. I'm hoping for decent snow, but failing that, I'd like clear weather so I can enjoy going out walking.
ski holidays
Cool Elizabeth, hope you get some sliding in although the forecast is for snow until at least Saturday I think.

Enjoy whatever you manage to do Toofy Grin
snow report
Managed a couple of hours at Glencoe yesterday. The main basin was in far better condition than I expected and was good fun. Hoped to go back up today, but winds have stopped play Sad Maybe tomorrow?!
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, tomorrow looks a bit better weather wise, Saturday could be the day... bloody windy here this morning!!
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Managed a couple of hours at Glencoe yesterday. The main basin was in far better condition than I expected and was good fun. Hoped to go back up today, but winds have stopped play Sad Maybe tomorrow?!

Shame you didn't get back but 'aint it a great wee place? Have you skied there before?

Might try to get over there when I'm up at some point, at the moment the sliding available at Cairngorm is a bit tame although it's great for the family.

Some bigger snows apparently heading the way of the Highlands over the next few days so fingers crossed on that one but today's photos from the Gorm look pretty decent snow wise snowHead
latest report
roga wrote:
Some bigger snows apparently heading the way of the Highlands over the next few days so fingers crossed on that one but today's photos from the Gorm look pretty decent snow wise snowHead

realy looks good...in this one

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ibt42o4eAcQ/ScuTJkSzLFI/AAAAAAAAA-E/1MIT05KAE90/s1600-h/IMGP0550.JPG

from here: http://saisncairngorms.blogspot.com/
ski holidays
I've not skied Glencoe before, but definitely want to return when there is more open. I can honestly say that the argo taxi was a 1st too.....don't come across too many of them in the alps Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy