Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 08/09

brian
brian
The season is back underway, so here's a general purpose state of the nation thread.

Despite Wed/Thu failing to live up to the forecast, it's been snowing fairly healthily overnight in the east, so the current state of play looks like:

Lecht - OPEN, (ok it's just the eagle at the moment, so about 5 snowdome's worth of skiing, but Grouse can't be far off.)

Cairngorm - *should* Open tomorrow, probably a run from Ptarmigan to middle via Traverse/105. I would expect it to be possible to rockhop your way down the M1/Lady as well.

Glenshee - reporting runs filling but not enough yet, would be good to get an update this morning though.

Nevis - have quite a bit of snow on the mountain and are tantalisingly close, latest snow won't make it that far west though.

Glencoe - needs a bit more dumpage, it's got a lot of rocks to cover.

Weather outlook - should be a cracking day tomorrow, sunny spells and light winds to take advantage of what's there. Medium term snow outlook is pretty encouraging. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So that means that The Lecht boasts the combined total of all snowdomes in the British Isles.

A notable achievement, despite the lack of a roof.
snow report
 brian
brian
Cairngorm confirms opening tomorrow:

"The Funicular will re-open to the public on Saturday 6th December, first train up at 9.30am. We will be open for snowsports, however the only uplift will be the funicular railway, no other uplift available. There is a run down the Traverse, 105 and first Zig Zag corner with a walk to the middle station. Ski hire will be open for business."

Still no news from Glenshee.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glenshee was open, fantastic day.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
good day at the Lecht on Saturday - couldn't believe the amount of snow for this early in December. Some pics here, not many, as I was having too much fun...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=74447&l=ed04d&id=688021213
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ditchjockey, Very Happy what were the queues like?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pretty small all things considered - the queue for the Buzzard was the biggest at about a 10 min wait, but that was offering the best skiing and some really sweet off piste action all along the ridge.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from 2 days ski touring at Glenshee.

Some fantastic, sunny skiing on Saturday on limited runs. Off piste was excellent from Carn Aosda - a mix of windblown powder with the odd crusty bit. Pistes on that side of the road, however, were generally crusty and incomplete.

Sunnyside run was complete and open and the skiing over the back on that side was mixed. Tom Dearg piste needs a fair bit more snow to complete it but the tow track was complete and nicely pisted. There was some excellent packed powder between Caenlochan and Meall Odhar lifts. The run to the left (as you look up the hill) of Caenlochan tow is 90% complete, with some big drifts interspersed with windblown crust.

Visibility was awful today and the run down (almost complete) Coire Fionn was (ahem) "challenging" to say the least. Decent snow but invisible (in fllat light) high drifts, blown into giant waves and troughs to stop you in your tracks!

In summary, some promising conditions for this time of the year. We just need to keep our fingers crossed for a sustained cold spell and a decent dump to really get the Glenshee season underway.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At The Lecht yesterday, it's got a good 'firm base' for further snow to fall on. So icy I got a discount. Looked like it might snow in the afternoon & more expected & needed this week. Good for this time of year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was threatening to snow on Ben Lomond today.. in about 30 seconds I lost all the light for my photo..

P1013803
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone know what conditions are looking like for tomorrow at Cairngorm Mountain?

looking at meteox, it looks like there's a lot of snow falling NOW!

worth a trip from Edinburgh?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly, http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,92483,page=37
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i've just asked to go home early as it's snowing in edinburgh Very Happy

i love snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cairngorm yesterday:

Lecht today:
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
looks like this weekend could really help the Scottish ski areas, or be so windy as to blow it all away, or the forecasts are 100% wrong and it'll miss the hills!

Quote from MWIS:

Over 3 or 4 days, this will bring copious snowfalls to western hills in particular,
with snow lying even at low levels intermittent
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
kitenski, Is it just my imagination or have the Scottish forecasts been more wrong than right lately? Probably it's just disappointment at not being able to get there when the conditions are right Sad
ski holidays
About 5 degrees outside my door just above sea level and absolutely pouring down.. quite windy. I would imagine that the Rest and be Thankful will close as will the Glencoe snow gates if snow is falling at the rate it is raining here.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well Nevis website says:

Fresh snow continues to fall to 600m and runs are filling in well. The forecast indicates good snow fall over the next couple of days and we anticipate opening for skiing from Monday 19 Jan - watch this space.

Cairngorm says

Saturday update 3.30pm. All we could operate today was the train doing mid pick ups for the Cas runs, the Cas side was getting a bit scraped by the end of the day. The wind stayed between 40 - 65 mph for most of the day and it is increasing now and the temperature is dropping
The updated forecast is still for blizzard conditions so we will assess things from 8.00am tomorrow and will operate what we can in view of the forecast.
We will aim to update this message by 8.15 tomorrow
ski holidays
Good stuff, all the forecasts are pointing to a big dump - keeping the fingers and toes crossed that the forecasts are correct but it's started in the west already and the Nevis webcams are all snowed up snowHead
ski holidays
KingsHouse webcam

well.. here's a link!

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=4636
snow conditions
Nevis Range evening update- "The Goose gully is completely full!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"For Monday we expect to have Alpha and Goose T-bar open. The Quad Chair and Summit Tow are also a possibility. Runs are filling in and improving with each shower. Soft wind packed snow. The Goose gully is completely full! This report will be updated early on Monday. The forecast indicates good snow fall in the next few days.
The Gondola, restaurant and cafe bar are open every day (wind permitting).
Equipment hire open and snowsport school is operating for morning and afternoon lessons - please call to book"

I woke up this morning to over 1" of hail lying - no snow - Its been about 3C here on skye and sleating on and off - but garden still has a complete cover of hail. Shocked
latest report
Even went for a walk up a hill today and still hail and not snow lying photo here if it works: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=1288180&id=589243072&ref=mf
snow conditions
II, it works! Are you getting out in Scotland this week pending more snowfall?
latest report
arv, Nevis range on tuesday hopefully Very Happy
ski holidays
II, may see you out! Depending on how the weather pans out. Green jacket/Grey helmet/Funky coloured skis.
snow report
arv, orange skis and I'm slightly bigger than you may expect wink - oh and look out for the snowhead sticker on my helmet its a dead giveaway snowHead
snow report
II, Laughing gotcha. Will give you a PM tomorrow to let you know whether or not I will be there. Forecast doesn't look great so probably only a half day or something.
snow conditions
II wrote:
I woke up this morning to over 1" of hail lying - no snow - Its been about 3C here on skye and sleating on and off - but garden still has a complete cover of hail. Shocked

Ah but I reckon Skye has it's own microclimate, rather like Ullapool where my brother, who lives there, reported little snow at all last year even when it was dumping seriously to the south.

Anyway if you were really hardcore you'd be out in your garden sliding on the hail NehNeh Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow report
II, looking good! If the Coe opens I may just head there for easy of travel... patrol still assessing apparently.
ski holidays
source: http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

This Report for the Scottish Highlands was issued at
20.36hrs Monday 19th January 2009.

It's absolutely dumped on the Western Mountains over the past 72hours and Nevis and Glencoe have been transformed!! Nevis is open with Glencoe gunning for a Wednesday Opening. More snow through the coming week, stay tuned!
ski holidays
Looks like this weekend is going to be worth a drive up to nevis range Very Happy
snow conditions
i hope this happens again in a few weeks wen i have more money!!!
ski holidays
All 5 Scottish stations will open Weds simultaneously for the first time this season.
latest report
does the nevis range gondola open at 10 at the weekends as well as through the week? I think Nevis Range will have my companionship this weekend Very Happy
snow conditions
shoogly wrote:
does the nevis range gondola open at 10 at the weekends as well as through the week? I think Nevis Range will have my companionship this weekend Very Happy

appears so...

Quote:
Gondola openings times - 10am - 4pm, each day, weather permitting
snow report
 brian
brian
shoogly, think it's earlier than that when they have skiing available. They maybe haven't updated the site yet ?

Tomorrow night is either going to be a good dump of snow or a washout. Everything crossed. Confused
snow report
how's Fort Bill and Glencoe .looking for tomorrow, anybody been up today (Tues?)

Cheers.
ski holidays
shoogly, was spinning at half 9 this morning when I was there... skiing Very Happy

brian, snowing VERY heavily at Nevis on the mountain at mid day, driving back through Glencoe it was absolutely dumping and skiing should be possible back to the car park.. apparently some people did it on Monday.

ac505, both looking very very good, (skied Nevis today) if the weather is good it will be down to where you prefer.
snow report
Any idea what the forecast is for the weekend? Is it likely to be worth a trip up from England?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy