Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains needed for hire car?

Poster: A snowHead
I am off to italy in a few weeks on my first do-it-yourself Ski holiday.

I have a car booked at the airport and am going to be driving to the resort hotel……..does anyone know the rules on Snow Chains?

I think that in France you have to have them….but what about in Italy? If the roads are OK do you still need them? If you were driving would you use them? Where should I get them from?

Would appreciate anyones experience / advice.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rooney, welcome to snowheads, I think you'll find it depends on how far away the airport is from the resort. I know when I've hired cars at Geneva airport in winter, they've been equipped with snow-tires but I've always asked for snowchains as well. Your best bet would be to check with the hire company, it could be that hire cars in, say Milan might not have snowchains available but could have in Turin which is closer to both Italian and French ski resorts. You'll find the roads where chains or snow-tires are required will be signed, you certainly shouldn't have a problem with main roads only the access roads near to your resort could be tricky. You'll soon know if you need them, if it's icy snow-tires cease to work effectively. The hire company should be able to supply them for a small additional cost, they can usually also supply ski racks as well. Have a good trip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rooney, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Whenever I've hired a car for skiing, there has always been an option to rent chains with the car (usually at a small extra cost). I've never driven in Italy...but experience of Switzerland and Austria tells me NEVER go without them!! You might get to resort okay...but then a dump during the week means that you can't get back!!

In terms of driving, would I use them? If there is snow on the road - yes. They make a big difference.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been to Alpe D'Huez mid-Dec just before snowfall, thought we didn't need snowchains with the rental, decided to go to Les Deux Alpes while it was snowing...down from 1,800m to 900m in first/second gear more than 50% of the time, then up again to 1650 took ages, for the last three miles I was doing 5-6000 revs in first gear and moving at about 5-6 miles an hour. Made it to LDA, but just.

Get the chains, regardless of the rules.

(Disclaimer: I hadn't realised they'd have such crappy tires on the rental car).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was skiing in Italy over Christmas (Madonna). Christmas Night we had 40cm new snow and the authorities (Fire Service) were not letting anyone up the mountain above Pinzolo without snow-chains - with good cause.

I'd recommend to get some!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi rooney, and another welcome snowHead

As David and Elizabeth suggest, I would sort this out with the hire company before you go - and when you pick the car up, check that the chains (and instructions for putting them on - in a language that you can understand) are in it before you set off. Europcar at Zurich "forgot" to put them in once for me Twisted Evil

If all else fails you can usually buy them at garages and other shops in mountain areas, but that is very much a last resort.

Take gloves that you don't mind getting dirty, something to kneel on and a torch - it'll be dark and snowing when you need to put them on wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rooney, Welcome! Whenever we've had a car from Geneva snow chains are in the boot and there's a compulsory daily surcharge for them....they won't let you out of the airport without them. Check with your car hire firm but I suspect that they all have much the same rules!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like David I have found cars at Geneva equipped with snow tyres and a set of chains in the boot all free of charge. I have always used Avis as they are an air miles partner (I paid nothing for three days hire except 1200 air miles) but def worth shoppping around. A friend of mine who lives in the Alps told me it was "the law" to have chains but I'm not sure if he was getting confused with the neccesity to have them fitted in certain snow/ice conditions or that car hire companys have to equip their cars with them. Either way make sure you have some with you and a pair of either old gloves or some cheapy latex gloves are a good idea as its often cold and grubby work putting them on. you will not want to use your ski gloves.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oh and don't do what I always do - put your luggage on top of the chains so you have to unpack at the side of the road to find them !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its my understanding that if its the weather is so bad the police pull you over and make you put them on. I've been on a coach en route to Livigno and we got pulled over and the coach driver scrabbled about on the floor for 20 mins whilst the immaculately dressed carabinieri watched, and no doubt gave helpful hints like 'you donta wanta do it like that'.

I've got a rental from geneva in 18 sleeps time and I've paid 5 swiss francs per day for the chains.

but good point check the boot that they are in there.

Oh yeah and fix them to the driving wheels - thats for all the ladies out there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty wrote:
oh and don't do what I always do - put your luggage on top of the chains so you have to unpack at the side of the road to find them !

and don't do what i did - take them out of the boot in the pick-up carpark, placing them carefully on the floor, load the boot with all of our luggage, then drive off without putting the chains back in the boot - rolling eyes . We didn't need them and Hertz never charged me (as far as i could tell) but it was stupid.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Oh yeah and fix them to the driving wheels - thats for all the ladies out there

Oh yeah, actually we "ladies" don't fix them at all. We get a "gentleman" (or any poor guy) to do it for us Little Angel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi, thought that would wake a few people up! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ummmm, please remember to put them on the driven wheels Embarassed . . . yes, I was that cretin.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, tee hee thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
I'm not going to contradict anything above, having been caught out without chains twice in the last two years: clear roads at the start of the week, then a big dump and persistent snow towards the end of the week. Apart from anything else, and even if you can just about escape the resort, it means hours of anxiety about whether you'll make it!

Last year, we flew to Milan and Hertz didn't provide the chains we thought we'd reserved. The drive back was traumatic and slow and we would have missed the flight if the airport hadn't been closed because of the conditions!
ski holidays
What about hiring a four wheel drive with snow tyres? Saying this, I've just gone and bought chains for my four wheel drive, which has snow tyres, because our road restrictions often won't let you through unless you are carrying chains even on a 4x4. Although I have been told that if I need to put chains on my Jeep I shouldn't be on the road at all! Very Happy
snow report
Cedric wrote:
Been to Alpe D'Huez mid-Dec just before snowfall, thought we didn't need snowchains with the rental, decided to go to Les Deux Alpes while it was snowing...down from 1,800m to 900m in first/second gear more than 50% of the time, then up again to 1650 took ages, for the last three miles I was doing 5-6000 revs in first gear and moving at about 5-6 miles an hour. Made it to LDA, but just.

Get the chains, regardless of the rules.

(Disclaimer: I hadn't realised they'd have such crappy tires on the rental car).

Hey Cedric, we must have been struggling up to LDA at the same time, ( Sunday morning ?), I did exactly the same thing !!
Definitely getting the snow chains for next time...

Mind, we were rewarded with some lovely chocolates from a nice girl at the entrance to LDA Smile
ski holidays
pollittcl wrote:
What about hiring a four wheel drive with snow tyres?

If the police are saying "chains", then they won't let you up without...regardless of what you are driving!
ski holidays
To add to my previous post - actually they were letting FWDs up without snow chains - we passed one stuck in a snowbank on our way down Very Happy
snow conditions
Out of interest how long does (should) it take to fit a set of chains?
snow conditions
Less than 5 minutes, but this season we've had a lot of practice, by New year we'd already fitted chains more frequently than the whole of last season.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, out here we have different levels of chain requirements - usually when 2 wheel drive vehicles need chains then 4 wheel drives can get away with snow tyres, but should carry chains - it's only when it gets really bad that 4x4s have to use chains. There is often a requirement for 4x4s to carry them, but it's not often enforced! Generally if your 4x4 needs chains out here, then the road has already been closed!! Very Happy (but I do have a set anyway!) Very Happy
ski holidays
David@traxvax, I'm interested to hear this considering the relative snow drought this year. Last year it never seemed to stop snowing - or is it that you tend to be on the road just at weekends and thats when the snow has fallen this year?
ski holidays
Martin, this year we've only had 2 big dumps this year, one from Thurs until the Sun night before Xmas which must have been almost a metre, at that intensity, none of the village roads are cleared properly so chains are needed just to get around the village. On the Sunday, our transfer day, we usually never need chains after about 15kms, before we get to Bourg St Maurice, this year we needed chains beyond BSM. We then had a further dump in the week between Xmas and New Year so on they went again. That makes about 5 times since the season opened on 12th Dec. last year we only used chains 3 times the entire season but we do have snowtires on our mini-bus and car from Nov onwards and they don't come off until April.
snow report
Was in La Grave last year - not so much the snow but the ice covered road down from our apartment was impossible without chains, old slush frozen into 3 inch ice on a steep hill. We would have been stuck without them as my car wouldn't even pull out of the parking bay on bare tyres.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy