Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Mission v Scott Crusade

Poster: A snowHead
Hallo everyone.
Im currently lookin at the Scott Missions and the Scott Crusades.

I'm 190cm and weigh 80-82 kg's.

I'm used to ski on Rossignol 9TS Power, i think they are called, (old racer skis) but am now lookin for a more allround ski. I'm especially looking forward to more offpiste.

Something like 60 % piste and 40 % offpiste.

I also would like to do start doing some tricks (not very much).

It's either the 183cm Missions or the 189 Crusaders. On Scott's homepage it seems like the crusaders have won nearly all awards for best allround ski this year (but havent been able to find real user reviews). It also seems to have carve which should make it better for piste..

Are the Crusaders too long for me? My old rossignol was 167cm (i had them for four years, so it will definitely feel different to get some real size skis) - plus 189 cm seems a bit long if i want to experiment a bit with tricks.

they cost the same where i can get them..

Im on telemark and NTN-bindings..

thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi fredriksupreme, Welcome to snowHead

How are you getting on with the NTNs?

The 189cm Crusaders will ski much shorter being a twin tip, more like 181-183cm depending on how you think about it.

If you were skiing alpine and, as you say, would like to start doing tricks, the Crusaders would definitely be right sticks for you. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of twin tips for skiing - having said that, all three pairs of my tele skis are TTs! D'Oh.

Tele skiing switch though really does need TT and past a few little grabs the next range of tricks you should be looking at are 3s and 180s so TTs are a must really.

I was fondling a pair of Crusaders the other day, they look and feel great. Thinking about a pair for Mrs P, I love the tips & tail, they look like mini Stunts!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fredriksupreme, I'm a girl on Missions so I'm biased and can't help you with your question Laughing but welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thers also the punishers which are the missions with twin tips.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I rode the Crusaders a few weeks back in Tignes. Really capable on piste, carve well and little to no chatter at speed. Pretty quick edge to edge as well. No powder around that day but I did tackle some crud in them and they cut through that really well - is that what the funny scoop is for in the tip and tail??

They're not as stiff as my everyday ski, but I have to say I really enjoyed that! They gave lots back without me having to work too hard.

Tried the Missions a couple of days later in a few cms of fresh - they were an absolute delight but I only had a couple of hours on them so hard to make much of a judgement re: what they might be like on piste.

On reflection, I'd probably recommend the Crusade - the sidecut makes them super manouverable, but then I ski alpine (not being a free-heeled hippy 'n' all) so that might influence my choice a bit.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for all the good answers.

First off, to answer the question about the NTN's.. I havent tried them yet.. so this will definitely be a virgin-ish trip. (one month in Val Thorens, France)

You are all talking about the crusaders being a twintip ski but as im informed neither the missions or the crusaders are "full" twintip..

(those are the missions)

So 189cm crusaders would actually be like 185cm or something like that..

Am i right?

189 crusaders would also be harder to make jumps on (lets say 360, not that it would be everyday stuff)

Do full twin tip skis also feel shorter on the piste or is it only off, when they float less than non twin tip?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Running lenghts on skis I've just measured:

Rossi Zenith 176 -not twin tipped at all-157cm
Head monster 186 (slight twin tip similar to missions)-162cm
Scott punisher 191 (full twin tip)-158cm

It suprized me how much shorter the twin tip is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fredriksupreme, The Scott Crusade is a full twin. See II post above, it will ski short for sure. It will feel shorter on and off piste, although some of it is mental.

The Mission is not a twin, the Punisher is exactly the same as the Mission but a TT.

The Crusade is the little brother of The Stunts - a big, big mountain bad boy. The Crusade looks awesome for all mountain performance.

Let us know how you get on with the NTN!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
well looking at the specs, the crusade is 3cm wider underfoot, which is going to give you more float off piste, but means you'll notice that going edge to edge on piste.

Any chance you can demo both before buying? I'm 5ft 10" adn ski the mission in 179 which does me fine on and off piste.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have no chance demoing either the missions og crusades.

i was going to buy the 191 crusades today but they sold out over night.. perfect.. now the shop are holding a pair of 183 missions for me while still looking for some new crusaders..

Im kinda hooked on the crusades now with them being full twin but either way i think i will end up with a great ski.

thanks for everything. this is definitely a great forum.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fredricksupreme welcome to SH's! skied the punisher myself a few months ago and found them a bit wanting if you're a more aggressive skiier, tended to flap a bit and did'nt seem to give much back! know loads of peeps who love the skis but unfortunaely im not one of them! didnt get a chance to ski the crusade but they look pretty nice, a bit fatter which is allways nice!! as youre 190cm mate id deffinately go for some of the longer models for tricks, you'll want that extra bit of length for stability IMO, i ski park a bit and ride skis about head height, makes for a real nice running length for switch!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hi everyone,
like your reviews here on Scott Crusade Skis,
i´ve been thinking about them too, but they seem to be pretty wide 130/90/118 as opposed to my old skis 112/69/95....... so I wonder whats the feel...do they really look and feel wide (havent seen them in real, only on youtube presentation video:-)).....what was the width of your old skis and was it a big difference to change to these ones ?

My old skis are 154 cm long (Iam 168 ), if I get Scott Cr. 169 long - wont it be too long for me ? (even if they are TwinTip and ski shorter?)

thx for reply
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
leki, 169 is the only size you'll get now the bigger ones cannot be found. If you are a normal weight for your height and want it as an all mountain ski I think it will be ideal.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
to RPF : I wasnt sure whether scott 169 wouldnt be too long for me ?? arent the skis supposed to be 10 cm shorter than height ? Iam just asking, havent had any twin tip skis so far.....so u think scott 169 are fine for my 168 height (and normal weight Little Angel ) ? I intend to go 55% on piste, 45% off piste
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
leki, as the other posts say it will ski short. Although 169 because of the bend in its tips it will not be taller than you. Height to ski length is only a guide your weight is the most important as it is your mass that will exert the force on the ski to short it will not grip on piste or float enough on powder (depending what you want them to do). What you want to use them for also influences what length you use. My everyday ski is the scott Neo 176 semi twin. And I love them. Ok I am 179 about 85 kg. So I am slightly taller than them. Their running length is 146 (from my measuring) this is 84% of total so they do ski a bit short. I demoed the 168 way to short for me in terms of edge grip.

The link below is a commonly used guide to ski length selection based on height and use as long as you are a normal weight for your size (can be subjective).
http://snowrock.hostserver1.co.uk/images/ski_man.jpg

I know a number of guys who ski long skis without a problem and it is a way to get extra surface area on powder (My new skis are 189 Whitedot Preachers I've not used them yet they were bought especially with deep powder in mind). If your more on piste I can highly recommend the Neo and the 168 would be ideal. Its still a very good ski off piste and floats well on powder, it really excels on piste switches edges easily and grips superbly. When the snow gets chopped up and/or slushy its stiff tips blast through it and its overall width allows you to float on it. It is a genuine all mountain ski. mine is 82 in the waist. It is a lively fun ski on piste it does not like to ski slowly but does not need to be at warp space nine to make turns and will carve happily at medium speeds it likes to be skied quickly too. In deep powder there are bigger fatter skis that will float better, on ice there are more piste oriented skis that will grip better. You can expect the crusade to float better on powder as its wider in the waist (and I think in the tip) but it may not be as fast edge to edge off piste However anyone I've talked to about the crusade loves the on and off piste. I have not skied it myself.

I think Edge to edge still have crusades and neos in the shorter lengths

Of course not everyone likes the same type of skis so buying on others recommendations that said, has its risks but good all mountain skis that can ski on a a variety of conditions also seem to suit a variety of skiers.
Hope this of help.
snow report
My understanding is that the 60:40 powder to piste ski is the Mission and the 60:40 piste to powder ski is the Neo. If you want a piste ski that also does off piste, the Neo IMHO is the better bet (but damn ugly graphics on it).
latest report
Hi there is anyone still looking at this?

I am looking at a pair of Scott Crusades with NTN Telemark bindings and want to know what size to go for 169 or 179

I am 172cm and 72 -75kg and ski aggressively.

Any help would be appreciated
snow conditions
The Crusade is DEFINITELY NOT A TWINTIP, it just has a funny scooped tail that, in theory, will cause the back to sink/front to rise (like a pintail) in powder. However parlor is right in saying it will ski shorter than a flat tailed ski. It will be less playful than the mission, but higher performing, should be better both on and offpiste, but I've never tried it. In that lenght shorter turns on piste may be a challenge, but high speed carves will be ace, if you have the ability to go wth the turn radius. If you wanted an actual twin (you did say you wanted to start learning tricks etc), maybe look at the punisher, the twintipped version of the mission, which is a very fun ski.
ski holidays
I am 5 feet four female and ski with last years 169cm.....They are awesome! I am an instructor and have ended up using them for everything. At speed they hold on incredibly well and are balanced. Certainly think you will have no problem with that length. They certainly ski a little shorter than the length suggests. My colleague is 5 9 and skis 189cm (female too). The ski will give you a huge smile...Promise!

Alot of ski school here have been testing them in 2010 model and giving great feedback
latest report
Hi all,

If anyone was interested I have just decided to sell some 179cm scott crusades, due to the fact that I am not able to go skiing this year due to financial issues.

It has been literally 1 week since I bought them, and are obviously still in perfect condition.

The only problem is that they already have bindings attached - Salomon Z12's in size 28.0-28.5.

Oh and by the way I am 6ft 1" weighing 76kgs.

If anyone is interested feel free to e-mail me on andyb-1@hotmail.co.uk.

Many thanks,

Andy
ski holidays
fredriksupreme, Get the Crusades - awesome all round ski and a real bit of ski technology innovation, but then again I would say that as I have a pair of this years model and absolutely love them - have fun!! Razz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy