Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me please! Very important jacket decision....

Poster: A snowHead
brian, the Mammut jackets look good! And good price. I would like to try a jacket on before I buy though - there's so many variables that may mean its just not comfortable. Does anyone know of any Mammut stockists in the UK? We've been in Blacks, EB, S&R - haven't tried Field & Trek - I guess they might. It's a bit of a gamble buying from a picture.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apart from the Mammut, I think I'm actually veering towards the green North Face. There was also a slightly darker shade of green Columbia, which was nice

http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Ski/Clothing/Jackets/Columbia/W+Mntn+Heritage+Jkt+COL0207.htm

Will have to have another trying on session. And then the money I've saved I could buy a nice pair of black boots which I need - not skiing Shocked , fashion....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy, I love green and am tempted to buy a green jacket myself, but that one you linked looked a bit wishy washy, thought that could be the photography - I like the colour of this one, but it may look different in store, and it's is a bargain too, so you could justify buying it wink

http://www.snowandrock.com/SearchResult/Ski/Clothing/Jackets/Columbia/W+Prism+3+1+Parka+COL0123.htm
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy, Laughing Laughing almost the same jacket, I guess the one I've linked is 07/08 and yours is the 08/09 version ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno, Laughing Laughing the Columbia I linked to above I did immediately like and the colour was nicer than the lime green of the NF. And I think that one has the High Performance version of their jacket material whereas the one you linked to is the normal material - whatever the difference is! But good price! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, that green Columbia jacket is lovely, and technical, and I can't believe the price. I'd go for it if I were you, and the new ski boots Toofy Grin
latest report
 brian
brian
cathy,

Change the country in the drop down at the top to UK.

http://www.mammut.ch/en/apps/storeLocator.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry to be the geek here but I think the waterproof and breathability rating of the Columbia is about half that of the Kjus (10000 v 20000). Although I'd imagine most british recreation skiers don't need much more than that and it does have vents for when it gets too warm.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
DB, cf. classic goretex at 28000 and goretex xcr at 45000. Haven't seen a figure for pro shell.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:
DB, cf. classic goretex at 28000 and goretex xcr at 45000. Haven't seen a figure for pro shell.

Suspect they are waterproofness figures as opposed to breathability. In my experience it's the seams and how well / often you wash the jacket and reapply the water repellant coating that dictates the real-life waterproofness. Breathability is more critical for me than waterproofness - I don't tend to ski in the rain but do ski tour. As for breathability I prefer eVent over goretex. Had an Arcteryx Goretex XCR jacket for years which was bomber but now have a skiing and ski touring jacket made out of event and prefer them.

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/breathability.pdf

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 28-11-08 11:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
DB, agree with all that. I'm mainly the opposite as I don't tour that far, don't sweat that much and I ski in Scotland. Confused
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, Blimey, you'd think @ an original price of £200 i'd have thought it would have been the high performance version too, it is a little unclear as to what the tech spec is on it Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, thanks for that! Not really one close by though.

DB, yeah I know - but I don't need something that has great breathability. I just pootle about on pistes not hike up snowfields Toofy Grin

Part decision made - it won't be the blue Schoeffel as I bought a pair of new shiny black boots from Jigsaw. So will definitely be a cheaper jacket. I'm veering towards the Columbia ........ and am feeling a purchase could be on the cards shortly Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
brian wrote:

Suspect they are waterproofness figures as opposed to breathability. In my experience it's the seams and how well / often you wash the jacket and reapply the water repellant coating that dictates the real-life waterproofness. Breathability is more critical for me than waterproofness - I don't tend to ski in the rain but do ski tour. As for breathability I prefer eVent over goretex. Had an Arcteryx Goretex XCR jacket for years which was bomber but now have a skiing and ski touring jacket made out of event and prefer them.

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/breathability.pdf

I'd agree with the eVent comment I think its better then gorretex especially breathability stakes...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And the winner was.......

the green Columbia snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
cathy, Oooo.....great - don't forget to post a piccy of you modelling it - wish you well to wear it snowHead
snow report
I've just bought a Kjus Formula jacket which fits beautifully but I have neither huge shoulders or boobs Sad Sad
latest report
Well - after trying on every ski jacket ever made and rationalising how I didn't want anything with furriness or sparkles or a "stupid pointless belt" (my quotation marks) - I've just had bought for me as Christmas present, my choice of jacket. It's white Shocked with fur all round the hood Shocked and a it's got a stupid pointless belt and .........I luurrve it! Very girly and glam and not at all sensible, but gorgeous Very Happy Ah, well, my other ski jacket IS very sensible and technical, so I'm allowed Laughing
snow conditions
I hope its not real fur.... Evil or Very Mad
latest report
cathy, oh dear, I am very, very worried about upcoming holiday. Have not been having personal training at the gym every day, nor anything like, and have decided against getting any new gear. You know what my ski wear looks like. That means you will recognize me. I shall understand perfectly if you decide to avoid me altogether. If I were in your place, I wouldn't necessarily wish to hobnob with a pedantic, unfit, fartbag-wearing old bat (whose carving technique is suspect, at best, and whose off-piste technique is non-existent). Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
barthez1980 wrote:
I hope its not real fur.... Evil or Very Mad

That rather depends on what fur, doesn't it?

Killing just for the skin/fur would be wrong IMO. But killing for food is fine, and if there is anything the rest of the animal can be used for, great.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney, I think you are right - look how many people walk round in leather shoes and no-one bats an eyelid because the leather is a by-product of the meat industry. But I think we should be careful this is an emotive subject and this is really Cathy's 'I want to buy a stunning jacket thread' if it needs discussion - and it has been done to death on here from time to time previously so may not be necessary - I think it needs a separate thread in Apres. Well it only seems polite doesn't it? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
DB wrote:
pam w wrote:
DB, I know plenty of men who've replaced a perfectly good car after 4 years because they're bored with it. wink They'd find a better excuse, but it would amount to the same thing.

Yes but how many replaced an Aston Martin with a ford? Toofy Grin

To be honest I reckon there will be quite a few bargins to be had esp. late in the season. Unless a new jacket is really needed I'd hold out for the bargins. Of course I've always had a 'real reason' to buy the next pair of skis / ski boots too wink

Best to always be kitted out with the latest new gear though. Then it will be clear that you are British and won't be mistaken for being Dutch. Laughing

Unless it's an orange jacket Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beverley, Anniepen, oooh lovely! Very Happy Very Happy

Hurtle, you need to be afraid - very afraid Twisted Evil Although unfortunately my new jacket & (hopefully) ski fitness is all a desperate attempt to mask my truly crappy skiing. And I'm not being modest Sad Is there a picture of you in your fartbag?? Excellent - I must go and look for it!! There will be no escape! So will I be the first sH you'll have met? Oh dear - sorry about that.... Toofy Grin

Megamum, thanks for your good wishes and hijacks of threads are fine in my book!
snow conditions
Hurtle, aha - you look very stylish! Very Happy Even with the lime green poles Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy,
Quote:

the lime green poles

They, at least, have finally been replaced. Toofy Grin

Quote:

truly crappy skiing

Don't believe you NehNeh
ski holidays
How very endearingly British (and female....), trying to underbid each other's skiing. Laughing cathy, I'm very glad you've bought a jacket. Seeing this thread still going strong after I came back from a weekend away I was going to tell you to get on with it. wink Have a great trip.
snow conditions
barthez1980, Nope - not real fur! Very Happy Hope that's nipped it in the bud snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks pam w! But seriously, I AM pretty spammy when I ski Toofy Grin . When i think the slope's at a suitable wink gradient I ski quite fast, though not very stylishly. As soon as I think its getting steep I get very tight and angular. I'll never be the world's prettiest skier (as in, ski prettily, before any comments appear) but I enjoy it! snowHead
ski holidays
This is Mrs Doc here, depending on where you live, why don't you go to the 'Helly Hansen' shop, Bicester Village Retail Outlet, Junction 9 of the M40. I picked up a goretex jacket in the summer for 59.99, it's now gone up to 79.99, but still a great bargain at that price. They generally have a great stock and range, even this seasons gear is in there at a fraction of the price it goes for in Snow and Rock etc....
snow conditions
the_doc, well funnily enough the OH is also getting a new jacket this year and has got his sights set on a Helly Hansen one. Blacks stock it but I think he can get it cheaper off the internet. I'll tell him about the outlet shop in Bicester but it would be a bit of a trek for us.
ski holidays
cathy, My other jacket (the non-glam, girly, gorgeous one) is HH and is the best technical jacket I've had. No padding, just very good fabric - really warm and windproof and I've skied in minus 18 and snow - bone dry! Highly recommended Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy