Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me please! Very important jacket decision....

Poster: A snowHead
This is a totally non-important thread - and I feel a bit guilty about it when there are people on here who have been made redundant Sad BUT

This jacket, North Face £160: http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Ski/Clothing/Jackets/The+North+Face/W+Phoebe+II+Jkt+TNF0812.htm

Or this one, Schoeffel £330 : http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Ski/Clothing/Jackets/Schoffel/W+Motion+Jkt+SCH0111.htm

I'm bored with my red one I've been wearing for over 4 years, there's nothing at all wrong with it but I want a change. Its a Kjus so I'm hoping I might get a fair bit back for it if I sell it on ebay.

So yesterday we went round all the ski shops in central London, credit card firmly clenched in my fist - to be most disappointed with the ranges Sad I didn't want an expensive one, thought max of £200, maybe £250. But these were the only possible 2 I liked. All the others seemed to have something yucky about them. Had previously checked out Decathlon.

My absolute fave was the Schoeffel blue one - but £330!! Lovely stretchy material, nice cut, nice colour, pockets in all the right places.

At half the price was the North Face one, which was fine, not nearly so nice but still, half the price. Until I remembered I might get mistaken for a SCGB rep wink Toofy Grin

(Interestingly, looks like they've reduced all their stock in line with VAT reductions! They weren't that price yesterday Very Happy )

So, what should I do? Compromise - it's only a goddamn jacket for chrissake that'll I wear for about 3 weeks/year. Or go with what I really would like Very Happy Or any other suggestions?

Disappointingly, Tchibo had a really nice jacket that I'd have been quite happy with, for only about £70 or something. But their sizes are wrong for me - they do 10-12, or 14-16. And I'm a 12. It was just too tight across the shoulders Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit cheaper

http://www.activetribe.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=32&products_id=1072

Don't buy the one you don't really want. If your jacket is ok just now, make it do for the winter then buy the one you really wnat when its on sale in the new year Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf, hey - that's better, thanks! In the '200's (have I done that right wink ), is a bit more justifiable Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

The OH also said don't buy the one I don't really want - but then he also said he didn't really want to be skiing with a SCGB rep every trip Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that if you can afford the blue one, then go for it. You will absolutely love it, feel great in it and consequently ski better! If you compromise you will only be saying "I wish I'd bought the blue one". I got a lovely turquoise Eider jacket last year which was a bit of an investment but I think I'll keep it for a long time. My previous cheaper jackets have all been retired after a couple of years because they were never that nice in the first place. I still use them though for horse riding or muddy walks in the winter where I don't mind if they get snagged on things.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, if you have white pants and orange skis, go with the green one...... BUT if you have white pants and a black hat, go with the blue one wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timberwolf, good point! I have black pants Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well in that case, go with the green one Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, you owe it to yourself, go for the one you really want.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cathy,

I'm a little confused with your dilemma.

If you don't want to spend too much go to TK Maxx, you're in S London they have shops in Merton, Croydon, Purley Way and Lakeside (where there is also a Decathlon).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cathy,

Quote:

In the '200's

£297!!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kjus jackets although often extremely expensive are high quality. Isn't this akin to replacing the Aston Martin with a Mondeo or Tata just because you don't like the colour Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My reckoning would be that the Schoeffel jacket is half the price of a new Kjus jacket, so really you're saving money.
How are you finding the fit of jackets this season? I'm a size 10 -12 but the 12's are too big and the 10's too small. I had my heart set on a Kjus but neither size fits right. :
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, Ski jacket fitting seems fairly strange, quite often, and to me it's the feel of a jacket which is key. It has to have room for some layers, but not be too baggy. The Trespass 12s fit me fine (at £50 in TKM!) but other 12s have been enormous. I sometimes find the collars are uncomfortable too, or the hoods sit oddly (not that I wear a hood now, because of normally wearing a helmet). Then some jackets which "feel" good just look awful. You do have to try on quite a few to find one that's really comfortable, and looks OK, and is the right colour. I could never buy one on Ebay unless I had been able to try to exact same one in a shop.

Quote:

Kjus jackets although often extremely expensive are high quality. Isn't this akin to replacing the Aston Martin with a Mondeo or Tata just because you don't like the colour

DB, I know plenty of men who've replaced a perfectly good car after 4 years because they're bored with it. wink They'd find a better excuse, but it would amount to the same thing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy,

Just buy BOTH and be happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ps. Which one mathches your skis wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
DB, I know plenty of men who've replaced a perfectly good car after 4 years because they're bored with it. wink They'd find a better excuse, but it would amount to the same thing.

Yes but how many replaced an Aston Martin with a ford? Toofy Grin

To be honest I reckon there will be quite a few bargins to be had esp. late in the season. Unless a new jacket is really needed I'd hold out for the bargins. Of course I've always had a 'real reason' to buy the next pair of skis / ski boots too wink

Best to always be kitted out with the latest new gear though. Then it will be clear that you are British and won't be mistaken for being Dutch. Laughing
ski holidays
pam w, Very true. I tried a schoeffel jacket that had a very stiff collar and was really irritating. The Kjus seem to be designed for people with huge shoulders and boobs. Spyder fits ok, but the sleeves on the one I liked were far too long and didn't have adjustable cuffs . But I'm beginning to feel like an old German in my gold jacket/red trouser ensemble. Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

how many replaced an Aston Martin with a ford?

well they might if the Ford did exactly the same job for far less money. And came in a nicer colour. wink Anyway, a Schoeffel jacket is hardly a Ford. An Audi, maybe? My T K Maxx Trespass is a Ford. Though I now also have an Eider jacket - a Honda, maybe? But yes, definitely bought in an end of season sale. I'm too mean to buy any of the stuff full price.
latest report
there is no law that says you can only have one jacket... buy both and pick whichever one you want to use on the day.

REMEMBER YOUR ECONOMY NEEDS YOU

to spend profligately...
snow conditions
pam w,
Men don't tend to make decisions based on colour unless picking between red, brown and blonde. Wink

and I only own 5 waterproof jackets meself
ski holidays
you drink red beer? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Cathy

I have an invite to a private half price sale at E+O. I will PM you details... if I can find out how you PM on this board.

If that's no good, buy the green one.
snow report
bar shaker, UNder the Snowheads logo at the top of the page, there is a send/read messages link.

Follow that for sending PMs.
snow report
Thanks Alex. PM sent.
latest report
cathy, The blonde one is nicer.

Thanks for letting us know what colour your pants are - all helps to build the mental image Very Happy
ski holidays
papasmurf wrote:
you drink red beer? rolling eyes

Smithwicks is a very nice red ale Very Happy
latest report
and the Belgians do a fetching pink beer which is quite pleasant.
snow report
cathy, There is, of course, nothing wrong with red!!

I think I tried both those on when I was being taken jacket shopping. I must admit I just didn't like the green - too snot like. In the finish I could easily have plumped for the schoeffel, but the Red Eider I ended up with had more freedom to move in it, The shoeffel was almost too fitted also I wasn't overboard about the almost shorter style of the Schoeffel and the way that the belt didn't sit at waist level (assuming its the one with the belt)
snow report
cathy, I prefer the girl in the green jacket Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The green one
ski holidays
Buy them both, you know you want to. You can never have too many ski clothes Smile
latest report
Has anyone mentioned getting your jacket peofessionally fitted yet?

You'll need the stuffing ripped out and packed to suit your lats, the shell cut and restitched and padding put in to suit your shoulders.

bollox. can't activate a wink from my phone.
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:

bollox. can't activate a wink from my phone.

Just type semi-colon ; followed by close bracket ) Like so Wink
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
My reckoning would be that the Schoeffel jacket is half the price of a new Kjus jacket, so really you're saving money.

I like your way of thinking!! Toofy Grin
Quote:
How are you finding the fit of jackets this season? I'm a size 10 -12 but the 12's are too big and the 10's too small. I had my heart set on a Kjus but neither size fits right. :

I'm a dead middle size 12, sizes seem to be fine for me, apart from the Tchibo's one which was 10/12 and obviously too tight across the shoulders.

cfc5muo wrote:
£297!!!!!

Still in the 2s though!

DB wrote:
Kjus jackets although often extremely expensive are high quality. Isn't this akin to replacing the Aston Martin with a Mondeo or Tata just because you don't like the colour

And?? I'm a woman! I should just say here that my level of skiing does not at all warrant a high-end technical jacket. It's purely for comfort, cut, colour & pockets - and no fancy stitching! So many jackets this year seem to have fancy little designs on - aarrgh!

stewart woodward wrote:
ps. Which one mathches your skis

Obviously a very important question and one I had taken into full consideration along with all other variables such as helmet and TROUSERS Very Happy

erica2004 wrote:
The Kjus seem to be designed for people with huge shoulders and boobs

Shocked Shocked mine wasn't!!

bar shaker - thank you! PM sent back

Megamum - no, must have been a different jacket. This one has no belt.

I've gone down the route of having 2 jackets before and taking both along. But there's always been one I much preferred so I'd wear that one and resent having to wear the other one Toofy Grin I think you can tell which one I'm going for - or perhaps I should see how much I can get for my Kjus first! Even this awful one is going for £31 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KJUS-Ski-Jacket_W0QQitemZ220313468713QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMen_s_Clothes?hash=item220313468713&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
(apologies if its a snowhead selling it!)
latest report
Quote:

You'll need the stuffing ripped out and packed to suit your lats, the shell cut and restitched and padding put in to suit your shoulders.

Well that was a joke, but until comparatively recently anyone who was anyone would have all their clothes personally tailored. AND all their shoes handmade to measure. Only the plebs bought off the shelf.
ski holidays
cathy, The blue one is far nicer, but then I would say that Toofy Grin I wish you'd posted this a few weeks back as TKMaxx had a beautiful Turquoise Rossignol (I think ) jacket, in stretchy fabric £150 - I could have got it for you. If I see another one I'll let you know (if I don't nab it for myself of course!)

Don't go with the compramise as you won't be happy, and will always long for the one you really want. Very Happy
snow conditions
The green one especially as you have black pants.
snow report
cathy wrote:
TROUSERS Very Happy

Good Girl...
snow report
red 27, I did laugh at your post but there were too many funny responses to laugh at them all Toofy Grin

IncogSkiSno, yay!! Good answer. I've only been in TKMaxx once and I didn't like it - I hate searching for things on rails, finding the perfect one, and then it's not in your size. Probably the reason why I don't like clothes sales - and they never seem to have size 12, always other sizes! I should go and look at the one in Croydon I guess though. And thanks for your very kind offer!
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
Just buy BOTH and be happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I wouldn't have thought you'd have liked them, having no fur trimming on the hood wink
snow conditions
When driving to one of the local resorts I once forgot my jacket so popped into a local sports shop on the way and bought the cheapest jacket they had (ca 30 quid). Bright orange it was (Megamum would of loved it) and had a low breathability / waterproof rating (ca 5000 somethings). It's wasn't raining or snowing but bought the jacket mainly to keep the wind off. Compared to my other [cough] 4 [/cough] jackets it was really clamy and not at all comfortable - it's not just about the colour.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy